What's new

MKII Strategy Guide WIP - Johnny Cage Draft is up, NEED INPUT.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
This is an open invitation for strategy discussion for Mortal Kombat II (Arcade Revision 3.1). The ultimate goal is to create guides for all 12 playable characters to put in this site's Strategy Guide section!

NOTE: There shall be no tier list discussion in this thread, there is already a stickied thread for that purpose. I am posting the tier list here for visualization purposes only.

01. Mileena
02. Jax
03. Liu Kang
04. Kitana
05. Kung Lao
06. Shang Tsung
07. Scorpion
08. Raiden
09. Cage
10. Sub-Zero
11. Baraka
12. Reptile

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
This is the third iteration of this thread so let's make this one count!

Here is DarkMoon's guide for Kitana:

Kitana is ranked around #4 in MK2. She is an above average high Mid-Tier character fighting for her position with Kung Lao. She has a few differant styles of gameplay depending on who she is up against. She is a great rusher with her female properties giving her some of the best jabs in the game. Her rushdown is probably the most on spot, accompanied with a great defense and some of the easiest damaging combos to pull off, makes her one dangerous character. Her Uppercut is awesome and can take out most characters jump kicks and punches. Try to distance yourself on her uppercut, It seems to work best when you catch the end of your opponents leg. If the characters jump kick is too far over her body she can get hit. Her female SUJK comes out fast almost immediately and is one of the best in the game. It should work against every character for anti-air. Her attacking jump kicks and punches are decent enough and can beat-out most other characters if you should be both jump kicking at the same time. Works as a great counter to jump backwards and kick someone who is jump kicking at you. Careful though, Her jump kicks can be easily punished by uppercuts, roundhouses and aaDHK's. Her jump punch can be a deadly weapon to turtles who like to wait for a roundhouse or aaHK oppurtunity. If jumping from afar, her JP will break Ninja's roundhouses, Jax's aaHK, Cage's aaHK, and possibly everyone elses. It is a little risky though as the other character could walk forward on you before they perform their aaHK/RH move. Be prepared to block low incase your opponent should try and sweep you instead.

Her HK is nothing special, its useable but it is definately not the greatest for anti-air in the game. If you use her HK for anti-air against most characters, you must make sure that her foot is going to connect with your oppoent's rear-end, starting from his/her thigh to their arse. This means you have to be relitively close when your opponent jump kicks at you. If done from farther away and her foot connects with say Johnny Cage's foot or Shang's she will get hit. You should use her HK for countering cross-overs in upclose battle mainly, any other scenario you should try to get a fan lift in instead. It is possible to get a distant aaHK on ninja's and possibly Baraka, but just don't. Her LK is a decent wake up for ducking characters but not as good as Baraka's. Most characters can still duck underneath it and counter with an uppercut. It is a great wakeup though for people trying to sweep, It will litterally kick them right in the face as the opponent goes in their sweep animation. Ducking HK is good for anti-air against some characters: Ninja's and I think Jax. Don't use it that often though as the player attacking you has to hit her calf / foot area. It just doesn't seem effective enough to be a good solution. Her ducking LK quite frankly sucks. It's horrible, It is so damn short and barely has any reach to it at all. It is only good for hitting an opponent who is jumping in close, but then when you do that, only hit your opponent once with it. It does not have the reach to succefully get two ducking LK's after one another to back up your opponent. Most likely if you try for a 2nd one you will get swept, only do it once and get back or go into rushdown. It does work good however for countering Liu Kang's low fireball. She is so low to the ground when she does it that she will go underneath his fireball. This is a very good tactic and I suggest practicing it and getting it down. Her sweep comes out very fast and has high priority over alot of characters.

Chip damage is a Kitana specialty. She is the best character at creating upclose chip damage in the game, and when it comes down to it, any kind of damage is good damage. She beats out almost everyone in upclose battle. Her jabs as mentioned earlyer are great for keeping the rushdown. It's not very easy to uppercut her inbetween her jabs. Stick the player, get them to crouch and block and the lead is yours. This brings me to her moveset, her Fan Swipe is a very important underused move by most players. When used upclose it is a monster for laying down chip damage. Don't be afraid to spam it but be cautious, a good player can uppercut you between Fan Swipes. Keep alternating between jabs and Fan Swipes, keep it fresh and random. You don't want your pattern to become stale and predictable. Make sure to throw in her lightning fast sweeps incase your opponent lets his guard down low. Their is nothing your opponent can do to you except duck LK to get you back, and then get back themselves. It is a very common thing to see your opponent jump backwards to get away from Kitana after they perform their ducking LK. Watch for this and if you see it, hit them with a Square Wave Punch and get back to rushdown mode.

The Square Wave Punch is a move borrowed from Sonya in MK1. It is a great move for anti-air, getting places, and linking combos. It is as good of a move as it is a dangerous move. Be careful when you use her Square Wave Punch for getting places, you do not want your opponent to be standing in a position where he can uppercut you on your way back down from the air. Make sure to know the distance you will travel, only use it when its safe to do so. Liu Kang can jump punch backwards and break Kitana's SWP leaving her open for him to combo with an air fireball afterwards. Use caution if you are going to use this move against him.

Her Fan Throw is a huge projectile that takes about 1/4th of the playfield up and takes quite a bit of damage away. It can be thrown from the air and used to link combos, this is when it is mostly used. It's start up time is rather slow when thrown from the ground and can be seen from a mile away. However it can still be effective and come as a surprise to people if you just toss it out there randomly from the ground. If they see it coming though becareful they will easily jump kick over it and tag you. When Kitana isn't keeping a rush down with jabs and Fan Swipes, her Fan Throw plays a key part in her defensive strategies. Don't use the fan throw everytime you jump in the air, or it will become predictable and less effective. Instead, just jump around playing with your opponent and then throw it out. This will keep the move fresh.

The Fan Lift is the grand daddy of combo starters in MK2. Their is no reason why you should not successfully come up on a combo after a well placed Fan Lift. Your looking at the bare minimum atleast 30% damage after this move. This move along with the fan throw keeps your enemy at bay, and plays key part of Kitana's defense. Kitana is somewhat of a "dancer" when you see her being played defensively. You will see Kitana pushing B,B,F,B,F,F,Duck,F,B,F,F etc.dancing around the screen. This is too fool you, what the character is doing is buffering between fan lifts and fan throws and waiting for you to either jump in and hit the Fan Lift, or waiting for a good spot to throw the fan out. Be careful when doing the Fan Lift in upclose battle, if your opponent blocks it. For some reason the effect of the lift is broken and he can simply walk through it and uppercut you.

In the right hands, Kitana could be almost unstoppable.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
1ST ~ LOL at Raiden @ 9 on the tier list LOL

Kung Lao by DanCock

Feel free to add or argue my write up. All info is helpful and I wont be bitchy about it, just thankful!!

NOTE *** I could be totally wrong in everything that is typed here so feel free to edit my post w/corrections and additions ***

^^^ EDIT by Konqrr ^_^

He has the best uppercut in the game...rating it a 1-10 id rate it a 10.

He has the best D+LK basic attack, its fast and has good reach.

D+LK stops clips, you can easily piss some one off by using this you can just sit there, and if they walk up spam the D+LK, since your already ducking if they try and jump at you Uppercut.

Hat Throw:
Great Anti Air. When some one jumps in, throw the Hat, it'll always hit. Just be careful because his foe can time a jump and combo. You don't wanna guide his Hat up high alot, his foe can toss a fireball or time a jump in and kick him. So keep that fireball mid level with a random low one. If you feel his Hat won't hit when they jump in use his standing HK to knock them outta the air.

Dive Kick:
Up close if some one attempts a clip just jump then dive kick REAL fast it'll hit them. If your full screen away and his foe is tossing a fireball jump in the air with a jump punch then dive kick it'll counter their fireball. Also, if you catch them jumping in the air jump punch and dive kick for a quick 1-2 combo. Try to avoid doing the Dive Kick up close to his foe as you'll be easily be hit by an uppercut.

VS a block ducking foe, walk up to them and press f+hp and spam that shit. It comes out fast and is great at chipping away damage.

His clip is so-so, average, nothing special with it like long range (females and shang).

Roundhouse sucks

Teleport:
If you do this move then kick right after and your foe is blocking they can counter with an uppercut. If you teleport then wait, then kick, you could get hit with an uppercut before the kick. Its all about psyching out your foe. I use it when I watch my foe and see them about to perform a fireball, I'll then teleport and kick them.

Spin:
I'm not very good with this move, it is a good move though. Like, say if Liu does a Ground Fireball, you can do a quick Dive Kick and land on the ground and do a quick Spin (make sure you dont touch your foe with the Dive Kick). The Spin is pretty much a uppercut, mid screen if its done you can either do a quick Hat Throw for a 1-2 hit combo or jump into the air with a punch or kick and then Dive Kick for a quick 1-2-3 hit combo.

IMO, in the right hands he is the best character in the game. Great Anti Air moves, good defense, and good offense.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
I will do Raiden and maybe Scorp later on.

Raiden

Raiden is a great all-around character. He can turtle well with teleports and lightning shots, and rush down exceptional well making your opponent guess at jump distance between teleports, torpedos and jump-ins. He is also one of the best punishers in the game with his electric grab and torpedo is very useful for distance punishing as well.

Offense
When the opponent is turtling full screen away is when it is most frusterating in MK2. Refrain from doing full screen torpedos and teleports and your opponent will be searching for them as your only offensive options at this distance and will punish you accordingly. Instead move closer to where you are at jump distance, at this distance, they not only now have to worry about jump-ins but they cannot react to torpedo and teleport as easily.

Learning to do torpedo from crouching will make the animation instant, making it even harder to react to. This will force your opponent to stand and block more, giving you leeway to do teleports and jump-ins. Most characters can punish torpedo, so you must be careful. If you are unsure you can shoot a lightning shot at jump distance to be safer. Some characters can even duck under torpedo or they can lk from crouch to get underneath it and try and uppercut when Raiden lands, most people see this as a weakness, but it actually a prime set-up for his electric grab, so have it ready.

The teleport is a great way to get close to your opponent and begins Raiden's uniquie rush down. If they don't punish you for doing your teleport, they usually have a natural response to when it happens. A lot of people jump away, which you can counter by doing an instant forward jk. Some will jump towards you to start a cross-up, in which case you can counder by doing an instant away jk or jump straight up jk. Once you get them to stop jumping around after you teleport you can start teleporting into sweeps and jabs and start your rush down.

Rush Down
Raiden's rush down usually occurs when he is able to jump in on his opponent or after a teleport where the opponent is too scared to move. Raiden has a ton of options to lock his opponent down. Of course he has the standard low punches that hit most opponents (all but Shang and Cage), sweep and cross-over jk's. What gives him more options is the insane priorities of his electric grab, torpedo and teleport.

Electric grab is easily one of Raiden's best moves, it comes out instantly at 0 frames. Your opponent can be in the middle of a sweep or uppercut and get grabbed. A lot of the time you can jump and instantly whiff a jump kick in the air to get your opponent to let go of block and land with an electric grab as they try and uppercut or poke. Eventually, they'll learn to respect this lure and allows you to whiff jk's more often and land to start doing more jabs.

Torpedo is only good in rush down when your opponent lets go of block after a jk to try and retaliate to your rush down. With Raiden's vast array of weapons and special moves, you can confuse the hell out of your opponent, mix everything up well. A good mix of things would be something like; jk, double lp, cross-over jk, teleport, cross-over jk, whiffed cross-over jk, double lp, sweep, teleport...ect.

Radien also has one of the few throws with very good wake-ups afterwards. After the throw, teleport and begin to do lp's most players do not hold the right direction and will be throw again if they don't jump. For opponent's who do jump, teleport into an electric grab will make them stay.

Defense and Punishment
Raiden's electric grab is prime for punishing moves. Blocking moves such as Ninja slides, Scorps TP, Kang's flying kick, Lao's bullet kick, Mileena's roll, all mean losing to over 1/3 to half life of their bar. (Grab them on the landing frame) Learn to do double hp to torpedo for a hefty 50% combo. Female Ninja's, Lao and Raiden himself is hard to get double hp, so you might want to settle with just a roundhouse. If your opponent is projectile happy, try to time a teleport behind them and electric grab during their recovery. For other moves like Mileena's drop kick, and blocking high recovery moves at a slight distance (Kang low fireball, Scorp spear) use torpedo to punish.

For anti-air Raiden's best option is HK, it has the standard priority for most HK's in the game. For characters with high priority jks like Baraka and Shang, use jsuk.

Overview
Raiden is an offensively-geared character, he in not a keep-out character like Kang, Jax, Mileena, Scorp. Getting into your opponent's face to start his rush down is essential and will get your opponent's to throw out moves during the course of the match to keep you out in which you can punish them effectively well with Raiden. In the right hands he is a beast.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
DanCock said:
1ST ~ LOL at Raiden @ 9 on the tier list LOL
Where do you think he belongs. He is either better than Cage or he isn't.

Feel free to discuss it in the MKII Tier List thread!

DanCock said:
He has the best uppercut in the game...rating it a 1-10 id rate it a 10.
Definitely one of the best. Liu's is better because it hits crossups better than Lao's uppercut.

DanCock said:
He has the best D+LK basic attack, its fast and has good reach. D+LK stops clips, you can easily piss some one off by using this you can just sit there, and if they walk up spam the D+LK, since your already ducking if they try and jump at you Uppercut.
Again, one of the best. I think his and Liu's Ducking LK are the same in speed, recovery, and range. They both are excellent and are why Scorpion or Raiden can not beat them.

DanCock said:
Hat Throw:
Great Anti Air. When some one jumps in, throw the Hat, it'll always hit. Just be careful because his foe can time a jump and combo. You don't wanna guide his Hat up high alot, his foe can toss a fireball or time a jump in and kick him. So keep that fireball mid level with a random low one. If you feel his Hat won't hit when they jump in use his standing HK to knock them outta the air.
As I'm sure you meant, it is good Anti Air if you at near to full screen away. Against someone without a teleport, the Hat Throw is your equalizer from full screen. Throw a couple and see if they jump in. If so you can hit them out of the air with a Jump Punch, which counters almost any air attack from full screen due to it's height, then Dive Kick combo. If they don't jump, try to fake them out with some b,f+lp cancelled jabs for bait. If they still don't jump then do more Hat Throws. If you are not full screen and they jump, his HK is an excellent move for Anti Air. Do another fake Hat Throw (b,f+lp cancel) to bait them to jump again and another aaHK is yours :twisted:

I agree on the little to no usage of the up angled Hat Throw. It is anticipatory at best and even then it must be done at near to full screen. Besides, you should go for chip damage anyways.

Dive Kick:
The Dive Kick should be used most often as a transport move. Getting you accross the screen quickly and safely. NEVER do a Dive Kick that lands you directly on top of your opponent or you will eat an uppercut every time. Always land just out of uppercut range either in front or behind them. You can then do a quick Spin and catch them trying to counter you.

The Dive Kick is also useful for when you jump back, if they try to catch you with a projectile or try to follow you with a jump. You can safely hit them with a Dive Kick. Just make sure that if they are jumping with you that their Jump Punch/Kick won't hit you out of your Dive Kick.

DanCock said:
VS a block ducking foe, walk up to them and press f+hp and spam that shit. It comes out fast and is great at chipping away damage.
While this is a good tactic, how you posted it is way wrong. Just walking up and hitting F+HP is a bad idea...IF you don't know on whom it works against.

The headbutt only connects on Male/Female Ninjas, Jax, Cage, and against Kung Lao you can only do it on P1 side (wtf? dunno), and against Shang it hits every now and then only in the corner so it's not worth it on him.

You are MUCH better off doing a varied jab attack that I'll post about later in which the only way out of this is to not duck and block or pick Shang/Cage to avoid jabs altogether lol

DanCock said:
Roundhouse sucks
Not so. It comes out extremely fast but I wouldn't use it for Anti Air. It hits people who are in a ducking block for good chip damage and recovers very fast.

DanCock said:
IMO, in the right hands he is the best character in the game.
Even though he is a very, very good character, he cannot hang with Mileena or Jax. He struggles against everyone above him on the tier list.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Excellent guide Slips. Can't wait for the Scorp guide.

Any other Raiden players have anything to add?

DanCock

Cock Master!!
the reason i have yet to discuss w/ the folks in the tier thread is due to me being a noob TO THE SITE. if i post my reasons and such ill just be over looked as some fan boy etc. once i play more of the folks here then ill start sharing in that thread.

Kung Lao ~ i always though he was 5th on the tier list until i played MK2Prince's lao its truly a great Lao.

Also the Lao write up, its good that were on the same page there. i just didnt want to go indepth on a character i cant use unless i have arcade sticks and typing too many words is just not my thing :-P Im lazy.

Konqrr said:
DanCock said:
k"]He has the best D+LK basic attack, its fast and has good reach. D+LK stops clips, you can easily piss some one off by using this you can just sit there, and if they walk up spam the D+LK, since your already ducking if they try and jump at you Uppercut.
Again, one of the best. I think his and Liu's Ducking LK are the same in speed, recovery, and range. They both are excellent and are why Scorpion or Raiden can not beat them.

Liu and Kung definately have the best ducking LK's. I feel that Liu's is just slightly better.

Just like we talked about before Konqrr. Scorpion cannot touch Liu.

If scorp or any char jumps in close Liu can safely get 3 ducking LK's to back up the opponent.

Running the scenario in my mind, Kung's retracts in longer I believe and I think it would be easier for the opponent to step back and sweep it.
--------------

About Slip's Raiden guide, very nice. Don't forget though that Jax, Kitana and Mileena can for sure stop Raiden's Torpedo in its tracks with a ducking HK to the face. Liu might be able to but I'm not sure. Shang looks like he should be able to but he can't.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Here's what I've done so far with Lao:

Low Punch:
- Hits Jax in a Crouch Block.
- The move by itself isn't very good at all and should be rarely used outside of up close LPHPHP chip damage on everyone but Shang or Cage.
- If you use it by itself, make sure you cancel it with Block so if your opponent tries to uppercut, you will automatically block it.

High Punch:
- Great for Anti Air against Liu Kang, Jax, and the Male Ninjas.
- Hits everyone but Shang and Cage in a Crouch Block.
- Up close, used by itself is a good move if you are sure you are not too close and accidentally do the headbutt, which is a very good move for chip damage but is only effective on half the roster, you are much better off using HP chip damage by pressing LPHP or LPHPHP on Jax, or LPHPHPHP on everyone else but Shang or Cage. Using this jab tactic is extremely effective and very hard for someone to get out of by anything except letting go of Block which in some cases causes them to stand up and get hit by the jabs. If they do let go of block and are ducking under your jabs, you can buffer the Spin, or better yet sweep them and go into jabs again.
- Against all characters, if you are standing as close as possible throwing constant HP's over them as they duck without blocking, their only option is a D+LP, which sometimes they get hit out of, or D+LK, which is always a safe option. If they try to do anything else they will be hit by the flurry of punches.
- If you hold Down and Block while you are jabbing with HP (or LP or a mixture of both), you will be able to block anything they try to do. This is universal to all characters.

Low Kick:
Never, EVER, use a standing Low Kick against a skilled player.
I'll list some things that can happen:
-> vs Anyone - Sweep or walk up HK
-> vs Scorpion - Spear
-> vs Reptile - Slide
-> vs Sub-Zero - Freeze
-> vs Baraka - Blade Swipe
-> vs Raiden - Electric Grab
-> vs Liu Kang - Bicycle Kick or Flying Kick
-> vs Cage - Shadow Kick
-> vs Kitana - Fan Lift
-> vs Jax - Gotcha Grab or Jump Kick, Backbreaker or if he is hit close enough with the LK, he can get an Overhead Hammer
-> vs Mileena - Facing her in the corner, she can do a Roll, Jump Punch, Roll, Jump Kick, Air Sai

High Kick:
- Very good for Anti Air against everyone except Baraka and Shang Tsung.
- Watch out for near full screen jump punches from Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Female Ninjas, Jax, and Cage. From that distance, you should be countering with a Sweep instead.
- Don't even bother trying to use it against a jumping Baraka
- Don't try it against Shang's Jump Kicks unless he is jumping from around sweep distance.
- Don't try to use it as chip damage on a crouch blocking opponent. It hits very high and will miss them even if you are standing right next to them. Lao's HK sprite will overlap them but not connect! Up close, ALWAYS use jabs instead.

Feel free to comment, add your input, or offer corrections or improvements.

kensi

Noob
i'll see what slips puts together for scorpion. i may be able to chime in a little as well. nice to see lil' ol' mk2 getting some recognition again! :)

Slips

Whats up kensi? I'm gonna work on puttin one together soon, I'm sure you'll be able to add some stuff as you know him just as well if not better. Oh those Scorp vs. Scorp matches we had, God that was stress. lol

PEACE

Slips

Scorpion is one of the best turtle characters in the game, some characters simply cannot touch him, while others must always be careful on how to attack him. If he is losing, he actually has a unique style of rushdown that is very effective as well to get him back in the match. If he did not have problem matches against Kang, Lao and Jax, he would be much higher in the tier list.

Defense
Scorpion is one of the best punishing in the game, if there is a way to punish a character for doing something, Scorpion has the answer. He has fantastic anti-air moves, roundhouse and air throw. Roundhouse beats everything, including Shang and Baraka's jk's. Air throw can be used as anti-air as well, but its more useful in preventing cross-overs.

Spear shot is prime for punishing all punishable special moves for good damage. Sometimes you can stick in a HP linked to a spear, and if at the right distance on the screen, HP, Teleport punch, spear for massive damage.

Teleport punch is a fantastic move in Scorp's arsenal. It essentially is a get out of jail free card when using it defensively. Whenever you are at disadvantage, use this to get away from your opponent, such as after a blocked sweep or blocked upperct or after you block a jk ect. The range for this move is not nearly as long as it is for the later 2D games, so most of the time it has no consequence. This is so annoying to many players that they become impatient, and start jumping and start throwing out projectiles. If they start throwing projectiles, you can teleport punch them on reaction to get easy damage and start an offense...or you can just start turtling again.

Air throw is an essential with Scorpion, I don' know if it has better range that Jax's, but I wouldn't doubt it. Everytime you leave the air hit block a few times, just in case your opponent throws something out to catch you. It has insane priority and you'll be amazed at the thing it will beat out.

Offense
Scorp, unfortunetly, can't turtle every character in the game, and sometimes he does have to mount a comeback. When full screen away use Teleport Punch to get close. You might want to jump first to land a slight distance away from your opponent as they'll be fishing to punish you when you appear on their side of the screen. When you are at jump distance from your opponent, there are a number of things you can do. You can jk, but cancel your jk to a teleport punch. If your opponent trys to anti-air you, you'll appear on the other side of the screen and punish their whiffed anti air. Mix this up with real jk's to get in close.

At a closer jump distance, learn to do spear from crouch. Spear is extremely fast, and when its not teleraphed its hard to block on reaction, so mix up crouching into a spear and crouch, to walking forward, to crouching, to jumping ect.

Rush Down
Once you get in on your opponent, you can begin Scorp's rushdown. His lp's are awful, only connecting on Jax, Raiden, Kang, and Lao when duck blocking, so Scorp must use alternate means of doing chip damage, which thankfully for him he does.

Your main game will be mixing up sweeps, teleport punches, and cross-over jks all while mashing the air throw out. The average player will struggle great with just cross over jk's over and over with doing air throws during each jump. Players will they start doing jk's away to get out of the loop. To counter this, do a TP after a jk and it will snatch them out of the air. If they don't jump and you TP, you land fairly close to them, so walk up and do another cross-over jk. These loops are very hard to get out of and requires them to let up their guard after a jk to get out in which case you can start doing sweeps.

Once you master Scorp's offense he's a very complete character. He struggles hard against Kang's and Lao's lk, he simply can't touch them. Jax is har dmatch for him as well...just because he's Jax.

Overll, Scorp is a very solid character with just a few bad matches, otherwise he has the edge in most match ups simply because its so hard to rush him down with his excellent anti-air moves, spear for great punishing and TP to run away all day.

kensi

Noob
nail---->head. nice one slips.

great you mentioned buffering that spear from the crouching position. sometimes players seem to think that they have enough distance to throw a projectile and recover in time to block the spear. throwing it out from the crouch probably cuts that time in half.

it's also good to learn how to teleport from the crouched blocking position for this is very effective with projectiles as well. i honestly think that scorp's air-throw beats jax's backbreaker as well.

jax is easier to fight online. you have to bully him. don't let them run. with jax, you have to stay in close. wake them up with random spears because a good jax player is likely walking backwards charging that low kick. sometimes you can wake them up because they're waiting for you to jump.

lao and liu...eesh. fortunately i haven't come across an invincible liu or lao. kang is tough because of that crouching low kick biz. if timed right though, and at the right distance you can sneak in a sweep. you can also sneak a sweep in after a low fireball if done quick enough. if you're quick enough you can teleport as they throw the fireballs and punish them accordingly. high fireball you'll hit them with the teleport and low fireball you can grab them.

lao is tough as well for the same reason...those crouching low kicks. haven't met a lao that doesn't love to jump though still. mix up the teleport with air throws. those are your best friends against lao because alot of times you can throw him right out of his dive kick. you block a dive kick and it's over for lao. teleport, hp, spear or aahp, hp, spear...bye bye half your energy.

Slips

Actually, how DO you teleport from crouch? Is crouch, neautral, d,b+hp? I remember you doing that to me but its something I never got around to figuring it out.

And yea Jax isn't nearly as bad online as he is offline. Offline he's nothing but just sitting back and reacting, beacuse of lag this hurt his game online. He's tough as nails online, but more beatable.

I think Kang is tougher than Lao. I remember playing a Kang that did nothing but lk and low fireball against me...that was it. And it was a huge struggle just trying to beat those 2 moves. Now I can only imagine what a GOOD Kang player would do mixing up an occasional bicycle kick, high fireball and more turting. Its Scorp's hardest match by far I think, but I don't think a Kang player has taken it to that profound amount of cheapness against Scorp yet.

But I agree with it all, good stuff kensi.

PEACE

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
That's exactly how Liu beats Scorpion. Ducking LK, Low Fireball from crouch, and Uppercut are all he needs.

There is a way for Scorpion to attempt an offense against Liu, and that is to teleport on top of him to attempt a throw. That's pretty much it as Liu can uppercut crossups and D+LK any and all attempts to get in and sweep him. A good Liu doesn't mash them out, they are well timed.

If I were to remake MKII, I would make Male Ninja jabs connect with anyone in a crouch block with the exception of Cage and Shang. It's so annoying that the ninjas have no up close game except for sweeping and D+LP/LK.

Awesome guide Slips

dvdcsn

Noob

Jax is the biggest and best turtle character in the game. He's unique from all the other characters because he has the potential to abuse an unblockable move in order to control the flow of matches. He does his best work defensively and, contrary to popular belief, can be put to good use offensively as well. Its kind of funny...because all of his moves are designed with offense in mind. Look at moves like the quadraslam, the gotcha grab, backbreaker, etc...he's a powerhouse too when you think about it! Also with Jax, timing and positioning are very important. Overall, Jax is a character that requires a balance of aggression, cunning, and precise timing in order to use him to his full potential.

FIGHTING WITH JAX

Jax has 5 moves: the ground pound, energy wave, “gotcha” grab, backbreaker, and quadraslam. Jax’s only notable normals are his standing HK, which has the longest reach of all the standing HKs in the game and should be used judiciously either anti-air or on advancing opponents and his standing close HP, which if it connects leaves the opponent stunned.

Maneuverability and positioning with Jax are very important. Being mid to full screen away is ideal for the defensive Jax player because they can ground pound and be relatively safe from sweeps and other attempts at offense. At this distance, I normally dance back and forth as if I was motioning to do the energy wave, in order to be more unpredictable. Tactically, the tendency for most of those who use Jax is to runaway (the infamous “RUNAWAY JAX”), ground pound, and energy wave the whole match. This is pretty smart against certain characters, but pretty cheap as well. :lol:

The ground pound is Jax’s biggest asset and the real reason why he is such a dangerous man in MK2. The ground pound (GP) doesn't do much damage (approx. 12.5% damage), but it can’t be blocked and as a result discourages blocking, especially from excessive blockers. It only takes 8 ground pounds to win a match....remember that...so feel free to use it pretty religiously…primarily in the 10 situations I mention later, where it's practically guaranteed...in addition, it has a psychological side-effect on the enemy. Use it to take control of the match. If your opponent is not already jumping like a madman, then just by ground pounding enough or better yet...multiple ground pounding (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRN2pTc0GdQ), you can use it to play a series of mind games to scare or intimidate the opponent into jumping constantly to avoid it. What the Jax player has to realize is that the first inclination of the initiate to escape ground pounding is to jump, most likely towards Jax himself…Jax can take advantage of this by then engaging in passive-aggressive tactics; waiting until the opponent lands, then ground pounding upon impact. You can also throw an aaWave…and then ground pound if the opponent is constantly jumping. If the opponent is smart enough not to fall for your trickery and is steadily advancing on you, mix in some offense with standing HK, energy wave, gotcha grab, quadraslam…then ground pound, sweep, turnaround JK…then backbreaker, or just jab-pressuring until he/she stumbles…then ground pound.

Ground pounding can be used effectively in the following circumstances/circumstances where GP is guaranteed

(Remember: Timing is KEY)

1. On a landing opponent (Good players will oftentimes throw their air projectile with Liu Kang/Kitana/Mileena in order to escape getting ground pounded upon a normal landing, but if you can anticipate your opponent doing this, then you can time it to where you still ground pound as soon as they land...and their projectile will go flying past you)

2. The opponent throws a projectile (excluding liu kang’s low fireball and sometimes kung lao’s hat throw)

3. Jax uppercuts the opponent (if timed perfectly, it can be used when the opponent hits the floor)

4. Jax throws/quadraslams the opponent (again, if timed perfectly, it can follow up)

5. Jax jab-pressures the opponent until he/she stumbles back…then ground pound

6. aaWave…then ground pound

7. crouching LP until the opponent stumbles back…ground pound

8. Jax roundhouse kicks opponent while they’re in a standing position…ground pound

9. Jax jump kicks (either with the opponent standing on the ground or with the opponent airbourne…then ground pound as soon as they land)

10. The opponent is blocking excessively (of course...LOL)

The energy wave is another one of Jax’s bread and butter moves. It has huge surface area and comes at the opponent pretty fast! The minimalistic “RUNAWAY JAX” can use only the ground pound and the energy wave and still do very well. The gotcha grab is a good one too for CQC. Although the Jax player could use this whenever they were close, I only consistently use the move when the opponent botches moves like bicycle kick, flying kick, bullet kick, teleport punch, or roll. The backbreaker is another one of Jax’s bread and butter moves. It pays to constantly be pressing the block button in the air when in the proximity of other airborne opponent or whenever you jump kick in order to do the backbreaker (It does 33% damage in combination with the jump kick). The quadraslam is also another good one. If you ever get a chance to get in close on a crouch-blocking opponent without first ground pounding, take it and apply jab pressure because 1) it gives you an opportunity for a potential quadraslam…then ground pound and if that doesn’t work, you can always apply the jab-pressure until the opponent’s guard is broken…then ground pound. :lol:

THE MATCHUPS

Note: I use the term 'golden punch' constantly to refer to the act of punching while blocking. Which is done by starting to punch (either HP or LP), then holding down block at the same time throughout. If used right, it is arguably the most effective move in the game.

Jax vs. Mileena - This is only a very hard matchup for Jax if the opponent is constantly throwing sais in a desperate attempt to beat the hell out of you and in some cases it requires mastery of the ground pound and it's timing. Get mid-to-full screen away and stay ducked. When mileena throws the sai, time it exactly to where you ground pound her when she lands. Just like I demonstrated in this video: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2C3QWZUVFc) Learn to do this, as it is makes this particular matchup 10 times easier and you're no longer trapped by players who throw sais haphazardly. If you're godly with MGP, then ground pound under every sucessive sai...ad nausem. Eventually, the opponent will then start throwing sais intermittently to throw off your timing. This gives you an opportunity to throw a wave and just mix it up in general. A smart opponent (should) feel as if they have to mount offense to win.

Jax vs. Jax - This is one of the hardest match-ups even for me today. You have to think here. If you can, multiple ground pound constantly in order to gain the psychological advantage and take control of the match. If you're good enough with MGP, ground pound to make him jump...and when he lands, ground pound him again. If you feel as if the opponent is going to ground pound, be ready to jump, but don't jump until you see Jax's fist light up in preparation of the ground pound. Ground pound under the energy wave if the opponent throws it.

Jax vs. Liu Kang - This matchup isn't all that bad. Keep golden punching constantly in order to cleanly counter either the bicycle kick or the flying kick, and if either is blocked, then just gotcha grab. Most of the liu kang's I've faced will run away and keep trying to zone the hell out of me with fireballs. In this situation, when liu kang goes for the air projectile, ground pound under it. If he throws the lower projectile, jump towards him in an attempt to corner him, if he throws a high projectile, ground pound under it. All the while keeping your golden punches going so there's no opportunity to go for the bicycle/flying kick. If you get him cornered, trap him with golden punches and ground pounds.

Jax vs. Kung Lao - You have to be on your PQs here against this dude. Once you get Kung Lao to start jumping, golden punch constantly. Just by doing this, it forces Kung Lao to think. Either he: a) bullet kicks and gets punished by gotcha grabs or uppercuts etc, b) not to be fooled, jumps away and gets ground pounded upon landing c) finds an intermediate by bullet kicking at the last minute in order to fool Jax. Be weary of this situation as well...and better yet come to expect it. Another effective alternative is to duck when you think the bullet kick or teleport is coming, so you can counter with the uppercut etc. I don't really suggest fighting Kung Lao in close quarters because it's definitely an uphill battle. Stay out of bullet kick range to fight him effectively. Anticipate the teleport, so that you can aaHK or uppercut...and in certain circumstances, walk slightly backwards and GP

Jax vs. Kitana - Sort of like fighting mileena, except not as hard. Good kitanas will throw an air projectile in order to escape the ground pound...anticipate this...and get her after she throws it. Staying away is typically best. Sometimes it's better to just throw aaWave instead of trying to guess weather she will throw a fan in midair or not. Stay out of sweep range if you know that your opponent is super aggressive. Try to fool the opponent by psyching him out at mid-screen because a mistimed ground pound sometimes ends in disaster. Get close enough to bait an aggressive kitana, take a few hits if you can from sweeps and such, then GP. Use aaHK and aaWave when you can.

Jax vs. Scorpion - The bottom line here is that Jax is a bigger turtle than Scorpion is. MGP the hell out of anyone who thinks that buffering the spear from full screen will control, and eventually win, the match for them. Be careful of the teleport punch from scorpion and use golden punches to bait him into doing the teleport punch. Watch out for the spear and HK if he's too close. Scorpion is dangerous if he is jumping all over the place. Do not jump with him as he has a higher priority air throw. Anticipate the opponent trying to counter your aaHK by teleport punching, but then just counter him by moving forward and giving the impression that you'll aaHk, but never go for it and punish the teleport punch attempt. The only real way for scorpion is beat you is to get in close and go aggressive. Golden punch him from close quarters and uppercut his air throw trap attempts.

Jax vs. Shang Tsung - Stay away from Shang Tsung, especially if you know for a fact that the opponent is jab happy at close quarters. Shang's jabs and sweeps beat just about everything Jax can do effectively up close. Just control the match with ground pounds from far away. GP under his fireballs like this: if he throws one fireball, GP under it with ease. If two, then wait until they're a bit closer to you, then GP under them, so that the latter fireball doesn't hit you. If three, then just duck, or GP then block the thrid. Mix in the Energy Wave too. MGP if he is too far from you.

Jax vs. Raiden - This is a harder matchup. Be aggressive or stay ducked. Ground pound only when you are certain. Use the aaWave judiciously at further distances when raiden jumps in. Use gotcha grabs and quadraslams to mount offense. Golden Punch through shockgrabs and then uppercut or gotcha grab. GP cleanly counters the torpedo, just GP before the torpedo hits you. Energy Wave also counters torpedo. Uppercut when raiden teleports...then ground pound. It is safer to GP whiffed torpedo attempts if the distance is great between you and raiden (be extra precise in the execution though) because if raiden decides to teleport, he still takes GP damage. As opposed to cleanly getting away from the Energy Wave. If the opponent tries to torpedo at closer range, go for the Energy Wave. If the opponent goes for the torpedo at a near point blank range, simply aaHK.

Jax vs. Sub-zero - GP under freeze attempts (most difficult projectile to GP under...watch the timing carefully). Uppercut whiffed slides. Stay away if you want or go aggressive, but watch out for the ground freeze.

Jax vs. Baraka - Counter baraka's JK attempts with your own SUJK or aaWave. Don't try aaHK unless you're sure of the of the distance required to actually land the move. Sit back and control the match with GP. Golden punch in close quarters, so when blade fury is blocked, you can then get the gotcha grab, etc.

Jax vs. Cage - The easiest matchup for Jax. Sit back and react all day if you wanted to. Stay ducked in close quarters if you anticipate the shadow kick, uppercut and then ground pound. Watch out for nutcrackers and GP under projectiles.

Jax vs. Reptile - Nothing much here that hasn't already been said. Be very careful of the invisible reptile. Golden punch constantly. If you hear him jump, then ground pound him out of invisibility. If you see the slide collision against jax, go for the standing HK. Ground pound as soon as you see him attempt invisibilty. Ground pound any forceball attempts.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Cage can handle Reptile, but struggles greatly against Sub-Zero...it is a very difficult matchup for him.

cage got good jabs after shang but going against male ninjas is a bit challenge for him. cage shadow kicks is kinda risky (shadow kicks is useful when your opponent sweeps-look for a quick openin), male ninjas got better sweeps than cage.

all rep have to do is spit and ball. slide when cage shoots his fireball.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but it is substantial. As we all know, MK has no double hits. Either one person gets hit or the other. This is referring to normals, of course.

What I didn't know, is that it favors Player Two EVERY TIME.

If both players attack at the same time; for the sake of argument, a mirror match; Player Two will first hit every single time. I tested this out with several characters and several moves. SUJK, Sweep, LK...each time, it was Player Two who hit.

Wow :confused: That's messed up lol

So the Tier list is P2 Jax > P1 Mileena? lol j/k

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
UnLimited_Man said:
cage got good jabs after shang but going against male ninjas is a bit challenge for him.
Yeah, cage struggles vs the ninjas.

UnLimited_Man said:
male ninjas got better sweeps than cage.
Not true. Cage and Male Ninjas have the exact same sweep, same amount of frames, same speed, same recovery.

UnLimited_Man said:
all rep have to do is spit and ball. slide when cage shoots his fireball.
All Cage has to do is bait the slide and uppercut him, while safely exploding the forceball with a ducking lowkick.

Cage has better matchups against more characters...come to think of it, Reptile struggles against everyone, and is why he is at the bottom.

konqrr said:
Not true. Cage and Male Ninjas have the exact same sweep, same amount of frames, same speed, same recovery.
cage would back out more when close range sweeps vs sweeps, cage cant really do much when ninjas just keep on sweeping in close range

konqrr said:
All Cage has to do is bait the slide and uppercut him, while safely exploding the forceball with a ducking lowkick.
cage got great uppercut against ninjas, while safely exploding the forceball with a ducking lowkick = thats when rep got a openin slide in

konqrr said:
Cage has better matchups against more characters...come to think of it, Reptile struggles against everyone, and is why he is at the bottom.
good reptiles will not be at the bottom food chain line...cage, baraka, sub zero, scorpion, lao struggle against reptile

mk2 players who say reptile being at the bottom food chain line = they must have miss use the invisible move or never use it at all.

invisible move come in very really handy = thats why i defend reptile

Reptile is lowest on the tier list, but in the right hands he can compete with most of the mk2 cast!

1. His rhk is among the best in the game. (along with scorpion/sub-zero) Great in the corner.

2. Hp is pretty good for aa, but takes some tighter skill to connect constantly. Stick to his rhk.

3. Forceball is sloooooow. startup is bad as well as recovery. opponents are able to duck lk in order to disable the projectile. If that happens you can use the slide to catch them. The forceball isnt completely useless thou. Its his bread/butter when invisible (more on this later) and you can often bait someone into jumping into a forceball after jumping away from them at the right distance. By the time it comes out the opponent lands right on top of the forceball...sometimes connecting with a kick depending on the character. (ninja females come to mind....)

4. His acid spit comes out fast but the damage is poor. It can beat out subzero's freeze and even shangs fireball. the key is being able to buffer his acidspit from ducking position. at the right distance you can even use it for aa. spacing needs to be taken into consideration. also vs 5 star jk kings shang/baracka should not even be attempted. his acidspit comes in handy thou while invisible.

5.The main focus with Reptile is to TRY TO BE INVISIBLE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! I understand that with some characters this is hard to do,( esp vs Lui Kang/Mileena) but always buffer this move whether on the offensive or after getting hit. Being able to buffer from sweep (going under projectives) or after knocking the opponent down is a must.
a. Knowing where your reptile is at all times is very important.
b. You want to try to get in close in order to lockdown and force you opponent to make a fatal mistake. you do this by mainly ABUSING THE SWEEP. when in close to a opponent and going into invisible when they first see the animation they will try to sweep you on reaction. If you mash sweep IMMEDIATELY you will beat out they sweep cause coming from block it takes more time for them to recover and sweep you. Mixup sweeps with roundhouse kicks when in close range.
c. Using the sweep, if they block you have different options. Once again knowing your distance comes into play here. A block sweep sets you up for:
another sweep
forceball
bait game (look for chance to throw in a slide or punish with uppercuts)
acidspit
The key here is to mix it up as much as possible. if your opponent turtles alot sweeps into acidspit usually will loose an enemy up, especially in the corner.
remaining in a ducking position and waiting for your enemy to either jump OVER you (the key again is the sweeps for proper distance) throw projectile or attempt a sweep you can punish with an uppercut or slide respectively. Try to stay right outside you opponents sweep range and make it so they jump over if they attempt a jk. what i do I i always go for acidspit instead of the slide because in that way, if they fake letting up off block to bait a slide, I will just lock them down thus resetting they turtling position. This works if they also attempt to jump away. In order to do this, buffer from ducking. Always reset your position so that they can not hit you which leads me to..

6.BAIT GAME! Just wait for your opponent to attempt a move you can punish. This is extremely hard vs lui kang and hard vs mileena. Mileena not so much because she doesnt have low fireballs. How do you stop a sai spamming mileena? at full screen it is possible. If you are able to go invisble after buffering from sweep under a sai... duck and wait patiently...
Buffer acid spit and wait for her to do the higher sai throw. Timing is crucial but from full screen, you will connect acidspit and by the time the sai reaches you, you will have ducked under it.
Be ready to block and punish sub/reptiles slide while invisible. Also bait out mileena/scorps teleport.

Feel free to add additional tactics...