What's new

MKII Strategy Guide WIP - Johnny Cage Draft is up, NEED INPUT.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Lao can do damage from fullscreen and outwait Kitana. She has to really fight to get in on him. But when she does...

He has a better uppercut, better aaHK, and way more mobility. In a game where speed is non-existent, mobility is key.

Kitana is an absolue monster up close, her jabs are among the best in the game. Great up close HP and the swipe is very fast and does tons of chip damage which adds up very fast. In the corner against a great Kitana player, it's pretty much over.

Lao is more about mind games, Kitana is all about offense.

I honestly don't know Slips...

dvdcsn

Noob
So uh... How bout them strats? I'd write another one, but I probably couldn't do it justice. Someone should write a guide for Johnny Cage! ^_^

Lee-K

Noob
Why is it that Kitana's Fan Toss is so easy to pull off but Reptiles Force Ball is such a pain in the ass?

Is it BBB HP+LP or something and I haven't noticed this whole time?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Why is it that Kitana's Fan Toss is so easy to pull off but Reptiles Force Ball is such a pain in the ass?

Is it BBB HP+LP or something and I haven't noticed this whole time?
Nice observation...it is a little wierd how you get jabs sometimes instead of the FB. It's a conspiracy! :eek:

ZAQ

Noob
Yeah, it feels like you actually have to input the command as fast as the animation is going.
What a shitty move, all around.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Looks awesome.

Sorry for lack of updates, I've been way busy and when I'm on the computer I'm messing around with War Gods. I'll clean this thread up soon though and get writing again.

Scheisse, any guides or pointers from you?

I don't consider myself to be on the highest tier of Jax players but I can hold my own with him. But there are a few matchups that give me trouble, trouble in the sense that it's hard to take control of the match like I usually can. I can usually find a way to win but it's tougher without an anti-air.

This question is for dvdcsn and the other Godly Jax's out there:
What do you do to counter a mid-screen jumping shang/cage/baraka? I think it's only these three characters that have priority at the mid-range against Jax's s.HK and also have priority over Jax's RH. It's a little tough to play a non-stop jumping-at-you shang/cage/baraka and I usually end up running away and waiting for them to land to GP them while mixing in his projectile and timing a jump-kick/back-breaker. But sooner or later they will get in to that mid-screen range and you are forced to react to the jump-kick.

dvdcsn

Noob
hey Ahimsa! I know just what you're talking about! There are several ways of going about this. You can:

1) Anticipate their jump kicks and wait until the hitting frames of the jump kick are over, then backbreaker
1) Well timed aaWave, then GP
2) Know the distance to where you can still aaHK
3) SUJP
4) Duck to where the jump kick simply doesn't touch you and if it does block at the last minute
5)Walk through their jump kick attempts
6) If all else fails, just block. The important part is how you handle the situation afterwards.

jermzu

Noob
I have a hard time with blocking & retaliation. In a situation where Liu Kang does a bicycle kick (and he's close, i know he's not always close enough) and you have time to counter afterwards..does Kang still have time to block?

Say he does the kick and I'm Johnny Cage, my response to the missed kick might be a Roundhouse or maybe BallBreaker. I find that maybe I'm a little late becausee the counter doesnt always work and my opponent blocks my get-back. Am I doing the move to late? (what if it's ME as Kang and I miss the kick, can I still block?)

- My defense is lacking. Getting better but there's still (and there probaly always will be) situations where I think I could have blocked or thought I blocked but still was hit.

* DVD, I'm confused on how well you counter. How te F*CK do you know what to DO each time!? jeez. =) Maybe not the best but to me youre definitely up there. Sorry, I really was tired yesterday. That in combination with losing so many games thoughout the day (not just to you)...had to cut the time short. more games tho! thanks for your help cuz i know it lags when we hook-up.

JF1000

Noob
I don't consider myself to be on the highest tier of Jax players but I can hold my own with him. But there are a few matchups that give me trouble, trouble in the sense that it's hard to take control of the match like I usually can. I can usually find a way to win but it's tougher without an anti-air.

This question is for dvdcsn and the other Godly Jax's out there:
What do you do to counter a mid-screen jumping shang/cage/baraka? I think it's only these three characters that have priority at the mid-range against Jax's s.HK and also have priority over Jax's RH. It's a little tough to play a non-stop jumping-at-you shang/cage/baraka and I usually end up running away and waiting for them to land to GP them while mixing in his projectile and timing a jump-kick/back-breaker. But sooner or later they will get in to that mid-screen range and you are forced to react to the jump-kick.

Well, against baraka i know for sure if you know they are at mid-screen and they are going for jump kicks/jump punches..with jax at least against baraka you toss out a mid-screen air wave at them, and as soon as they are attemping to a mid-screen jump kick over the air wave and hit you (but the normal aa high kick wont hit).. just mash out RH(literally) because it has very high close tight hitting abilities in this situation(unlike the male ninjas which are faster and a bit more reach) Jax's is slower but hit's in coming aired opponents faster than it seems and high enough to stop(punish) incoming air attacks this close to you ..strange that this works really good against baraka but sometimes you can get lucky against johnny cage/shang tsung with it..hope this helps out as well :)

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Play the distance game and be just outside of jk range to pound them upon landing.

If you do have to block it, try a ducking lp after. It has HUGE range and pushes them back for a pound.

If you are able to walk under them, either uppercut or hold back and lp jab a bunch for a throw (do multi if you get it) then pound.

dvdcsn

Noob
I have a hard time with blocking & retaliation. In a situation where Liu Kang does a bicycle kick (and he's close, i know he's not always close enough) and you have time to counter afterwards..does Kang still have time to block?
No. Not until he lands can he block again.

Say he does the kick and I'm Johnny Cage, my response to the missed kick might be a Roundhouse or maybe BallBreaker. I find that maybe I'm a little late becausee the counter doesnt always work and my opponent blocks my get-back. Am I doing the move to late? (what if it's ME as Kang and I miss the kick, can I still block?)
If you're johnny cage and your opponent whiffs the bicycle kick, you have enough time to counter. Try using aaHP to shadow kick next time. Lag might also be a factor in how well you're able to counter...whiffed moves are harder to punish.

- My defense is lacking. Getting better but there's still (and there probaly always will be) situations where I think I could have blocked or thought I blocked but still was hit.
I hear ya man. It really helps to keep a mental record of your opponents fighting style after a few matches. This way you know what he is likely to do, maybe what he will do next, etc. Anticipate your opponent's next move and counter accordingly. This will help out alot with your defense. As for the blocking a sweep standing up, that can only happen when you, the player getting swept, are going from a standing block to a crouching block. Hope this helps

jermzu

Noob
sometimes i get caught wit an uppercut when attempting a throw or if im jumping over opp for a throw. is this better for certain characters because sometimes on other matches i also attempt an uppercut ...but get thrown? i dont get it.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
sometimes i get caught wit an uppercut when attempting a throw or if im jumping over opp for a throw. is this better for certain characters because sometimes on other matches i also attempt an uppercut ...but get thrown? i dont get it.
Anytime you try for an uppercut, you should be holding down AND back so you cannot be thrown. This will make them throw out a LP and are likely to be hit by your uppercut unless they are cancelling their jabs with Block.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Thread has been cleaned up and only Strategy Discussion has been kept.

We still need guides for:

Mileena, Baraka, Shang, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Cage, and Sub-Zero

I will definitely have some input for all of these chracters, but are there any takers for writing guides? I have put the War Gods video on hold, and my 360 Hori stick broke, so I will be playing a whole lot more MKII now and I really want to finish these guides!

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana

Cage is a defensive character ranked around #9 out of 12. He is best played from just outside sweep distance. You want to duck a whole lot so you can throw Shadow Kick's out of nowhere. Duck, step back, duck, step forward, duck, waiting for an opportunity while throwing sweeps here and there. Always baiting.

Sweeps are average, same framecount and recovery as Male Ninjas. Once you land one, close the distance and play Cage's excellent jab game mixed with more sweeps and Close HP's.

Low Kick is pretty short, if you can get one then you're better off doing a Shadow Kick.

High Kick has good range and can snuff out most jumping attacks provided you are at the correct distance, but you should be playing from a ducking
position and his uppercut is WAY superior.

Roundhouse is terrible, don't use it.

Uppercut is very good, it hits really high like Liu's and can hit Mileena out of her Telekick if scouted.

Jump Punch is only good for corner combos to keep your opponent airborne longer for more punishment, aside from that don't use them.

Jump Kick is very good. Male Ninjas and Baraka can Roundhouse you with ease though so watchout. Use it slightly outside of jump range so your feet are what hits and not your whole sprite. But make sure that you block the possible incoming sweep and counter with your own or simply walk back and play your waiting game.

Close HP. Cage does a midrange strike that recovers very fast and should be abused if you are close. Mix this up with jabs if they are actively blocking, but if you suspect they are going to escape, sweep them and walk up to repeat the pressure.

Close Kick. Cage kicks his leg straight up which, if it hits, pops his opponent up for a juggle. Midscreen, you can combo a Shadow Kick, but the corner, you can get a whole lot more. It is a VERY risky move to do because if it's blocked you can be hit with virtually anything your opponent wants.

Jabs. Cage's LP's are decent, they hit all characters who are in a ducking block except for Shang and himself. His HP's are used in the same manner as Lao and Baraka by starting with LP then doing a few HP's.

Throw. Cage grabs his opponent and throws them down behind him causing them to bounce away. You want to walk with them as they bounce and sweep them for extra chip damage.

Shadow Kick. A very fast move that hits high and is relatively safe on block. The only specials that can hit you after it is blocked, to my knowledge, are Scorpion's Spear and Mileena's Roll. Only use this as a surprise move, preferrably from a ducking position. This is Cage's best punisher.

Shadow Uppercut. Unless you KNOW that your opponent is going to jump at you, do not use this move. If you try to use it on reaction, you will get hit more often than not. It has a very short range and is pretty much useless.

Projectile. Cage has two fireballs, a low arching one and a high arching one. You should be mixing these up from close to full screen distance. This tactic really annoys opponents because if you are good at anticipating when they will try to jump, you can do this all match. Using fireballs are a good way to bait your opponent into doing special moves to get close to you to make you stop and you can capitalize greatly on this. A couple things to watch for, Sub-Zero ducks under your fireballs at midrange when he throws his Iceball...NEVER use them against Scorpion unless he has just teleported.

Low Blow. Sort of a novelty move, Cage does the splits and punches male opponents in the groin. You don't get any guaranteed hits after this connects, but you get the opportunity for some good chip damage. Lay in on the jabs and Close HP's after this connects.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to add or correct anything!

dvdcsn

Noob
Good guide. Although, I wouldn't even call the shadow uppercut even remotely useless. It's good in all types of close quarters as long as its not blocked. Just know when and where to use it. It even beats sweeps and other moves cleanly sometimes. Too bad I suck with him though.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Good guide. Although, I wouldn't even call the shadow uppercut even remotely useless. It's good in all types of close quarters as long as its not blocked. Just know when and where to use it. It even beats sweeps and other moves cleanly sometimes. Too bad I suck with him though.
Yeah, but how close do you have to be to hit a sweep? You'd have to time it like a "clean hit" Shoryuken and that is way too risky to try in a serious match. Also, if it's blocked or not Cage just hangs there in the air begging to be hit. It's just not worth it unless you KNOW it will hit.

dubson

Noob
Yeah, but how close do you have to be to hit a sweep? You'd have to time it like a "clean hit" Shoryuken and that is way too risky to try in a serious match. Also, if it's blocked or not Cage just hangs there in the air begging to be hit. It's just not worth it unless you KNOW it will hit.
Agreed.

Nice guide, Konqrr.