What's new

MKII Strategy Guide WIP - Johnny Cage Draft is up, NEED INPUT.

I would love to see your Reptile own Kung Lao. Especially Sushi's.

How are you going to go invisible against Kung Lao. It is impossible, you are either going to get tagged by a hat throw hitting you ducked or in the air or standing there. It is almost impossible to effectively stay invisible against a GOOD Kung Lao. The hat throw isn't even the only thing keeping you invisible. How bout a teleport kick, or a dive kick to quickly get you uncovered.

Its just not going to happen. Sure Reptile can beat Kung Lao, but its going to be a struggle and a half if you play someone with atleast some knowledge in this game.

ÐarkMoon said:
I would love to see your Reptile own Kung Lao. Especially Sushi's.

How are you going to go invisible against Kung Lao. It is impossible, you are either going to get tagged by a hat throw hitting you ducked or in the air or standing there. It is almost impossible to effectively stay invisible against a GOOD Kung Lao. The hat throw isn't even the only thing keeping you invisible. How bout a teleport kick, or a dive kick to quickly get you uncovered.

Its just not going to happen. Sure Reptile can beat Kung Lao, but its going to be a struggle and a half if you play someone with atleast some knowledge in this game.
Reptile can counter Lao's dive kick or teleport kick. Reptile can just duck under Lao's kicks and just wait for the (right moment-right moment that Lao cannot throw) to uppercut.

Kung Lao can't beat Reptile that easily. Reptile don't need invisible to beat Kung Lao.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Very nice guide RS.

No more tier list talk. There is a link in my first post to a thread where you can discuss it until your eyes bleed.

This thread is for strategy only.

About the Reptile guide (and any other male ninja)

You should mention that their RH's is breakable by a far away jump punch from Cage and the Female Ninjas. I don't know if anyone else can do it though.

Basically if you Jump Punch the RH from as far back as you can the RH will not work and the Ninja will get tagged.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Yeah but anyone with a good sense of spacing will know to simply take a step back and sweep at that distance.

really good mk2 players will not think reptile is easy to beat down. Laos duck lk wont work if reptile doesnt come close to him. reptile can counter lao's dive and teleport kick. laos hat throw if close reptile can slide in.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Lao just needs to stay back and spam hat throws using them to bait Reptile to slide or jump, in which case he can sujk -> dive kick or aahk. A slide brings him close to eat an uppercut or better yet, lphphp jab pressure.

Equal level players using Lao vs Reptile...Reptile has virtually no chance of winning.

Even at full screen, Lao can dive kick over an acid spit and hit Reptile on reaction.

(note: this is mostly while trying to remain invisible, which is hard press to do)

Reptile vs Lao (same level players) is a very hard matchup. The preferable range you want to combat Lao is just outside his sweep range. That my friends is hard to do, seeing that Lao can easily just jump away. The reaction of any knowledgeable player is to either remain ducking or block, (in fear of eating a dive kick) and trying to keep the pressure on is close to impossible.

You want to try to lock Lao down in a blocking situation cause if he gets away from Reptile, its just a guessing game between hat toss or dive kicks. (causing rep to go defensive) Just outside Laos kick/sweep range you can try to open him up with acid spit. What you follow up with and what that Lao does can determine if you can maintain an offensive.

A. Jump in kick on a still blocking Lao. You can whiff the kick in order to open up with a ducking low punch and whatever mixups you have to follow that.

B. Bait out dive kick. Make sure you know where your Rep is position.

C. Ducking low kick happy Laos are open to slides... but I have been knocked out of slides from Laos ducking lk. Its all about timing.

If Lao manages to get away from Rep (highly likely), be prepared to defend yourself!

lao's dive kick is risky when your opponent block and uppercut u from the air. reptile wont sit there for lao to hat throw at him all day long.

speed is a big advantage in the game. all Scheisse saying is like reptile just sitting there for lao to atttack.

reptile aint gonna wait for lao to hat throw or dive kick all day long. reptile is slow doesnt mean lao can beat reptile easy. the dive kick is blockable for a uppercut.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
UnLimited_Man; Wow, you just don't get it. Scheisse was demonstrating how ungodly slow Reptile is and how Lao can get to him from anywhere very quickly. Please tell me what strategy Reptile has against Lao? Slide? You'd have to hit Lao with like 12 slides to kill him...Rush him? That, and being invisibleare the ONLY ways and it is a very, very dangerous road as Reptile doesn't have jack shit to threaten Lao at any range. Sure, a great Reptile can beat a good Lao, does that make Reptile a better character? Not a chance in hell.

C'mon, let's list examples and scenarios...you know, strategy? Not this lameness.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
lol at some one fighting for reptile.

the only guy that can argue that reptile isnt the worst in MK2 is MK2Prince. even then i dont think he'll ever say reptile is the better character over who ever.

even w/ that said reptile isnt easy to beat always, good players can win w/ him.

MK2Prince, Sushi & Repstyle to name a few.

my whole point here is good reptile players will own Kung Lao. i never say reptile was better than lao. just saying that reptile will not be defeated easily.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
UnLimited_Man said:
my whole point here is good reptile players will own shitty Kung Lao players. i never say reptile was better than lao. just saying that reptile will not be defeated easily.
^^^ Check my addition and it will make sense...as what you posted is complete nonsense.

Konqrr said:
@Unlimited_Man; Wow, you just don't get it. Scheisse was demonstrating how ungodly slow Reptile is and how Lao can get to him from anywhere very quickly. Please tell me what strategy Reptile has against Lao? Slide? You'd have to hit Lao with like 12 slides to kill him...Rush him? That, and being invisibleare the ONLY ways and it is a very, very dangerous road as Reptile doesn't have jack shit to threaten Lao at any range. Sure, a great Reptile can beat a good Lao, does that make Reptile a better character? Not a chance in hell.

C'mon, let's list examples and scenarios...you know, strategy? Not this lameness.
all your strategies for kung lao vs reptile is all wrong. i would play against any kung if i have a ps3. people put reptile on the bottom of the food chain line because they suck at playing him. Konqrr would take his words back if he ever play me.

X820

Noob
UnLimited_Man said:
my whole point here is good reptile players will own Kung Lao. i never say reptile was better than lao. just saying that reptile will not be defeated easily.
Man, you hand out examples of what Reptile COULD do to counter a move by Lao, we ALL can do that all day long, it doesn't PROVE anything..

We all have owned every character in the game playing online using Reptile, so what?

That doesn't make Reptile better, it makes you the winner of that round ;)

Sure, people tend to mix up there game more using Reptile, playing defensive and offensive at all times, because that is what Reptile's only chance is; to "outsmart" his opponent countering anything he gets in front of him.
He's a ninja and has the advantages that sub & scorp have in his basic attacks.
His specials are weak and very slow, and that is the main reason why Reptile is so weak in MK2. Even his combos suck!!
Kung Lao has greater chip damage, greater speed, teleport, can apply great pressure with his hat trow (something Reptile lacks the abbility to by most people) and if set up right Lao can do great damage combo-ing Reptile across the whole screen.

Also, most Reptile's are intimidated when you do a Spin, JP, Dive kick, aaP, Hat throw any day of the week!

In most cases this mindfuck alone gives the (skilled) Lao player an edge!

Just my 2 cents ;)

G

Hello UltimateMK and members..i am quite fresh here and got just a chance to look at a few things along the way...seeing that this particular thread is about strategies and things to look at and try...it caught my attention..

Now i can remember lots of things for Mk2 but lots of things are still very stale and possibly forgotten about(ver 3.1)..so from here i have some questions about countering/predictability, and timing, and some spacing.. so my first ? to ask about is..

1. does Shang have any weakness to his JK/HK:?:..not the jump straight up versions , the u/b and u/f versions.. now like i said some of my memory is quite stale so, is it at all possible to aaHP any versions of the u/f JK/HK:?:..i play a lot of Shangs/Liu's/Jax/Mileena's..aside from Liu, the others listed usually give me trouble with JK/HK mostly due to their speeds. so i am curious if it falls under the predictability/timing factor/ or possibly spacing?, not so much countering, because once i see it coming.. by then its usually too late for me to aaHP them for a juggle..i know for sure the Male ninja's RH's are great here, and i remember what to combo with if i do hit aaHP.. but it seems that to predict it would even just to use a RH kick before they leave the ground(within sweep range) which is great..so does the aahp work the same way against Shang:?:, or do i need to be spacing it and wait until he actually leaves the ground for the aaHP to work against his JK/HK:?:... or if i could be pointed in the direction where i can find these type of scenerio in play, thanks

JF1000

Noob
very strange indeed!

yeah , i was the one who actually posted that , but then later found that my account was disabled for some odd reason, then it happened again the next day or night, i think it was during the new additions to the threads/designs/construction that was taking place maybe?...i am still wondering if anyone can answer/help me with my question(s).

Edit: also can someone please tell me which characters can punish a blocked sweep at close to closest range(if not all characters)..i seem to see that Liu/cage seem to punish it well, but is it just because im not blocking immediately after i sweep, or is it completely guaranteed to punish with uppercut? and if so which characters can punish sweeps without having to think?

X820

Noob
yeah , i was the one who actually posted that , but then later found that my account was disabled for some odd reason, then it happened again the next day or night, i think it was during the new additions to the threads/designs/construction that was taking place maybe?...i am still wondering if anyone can answer/help me with my question(s).

Edit: also can someone please tell me which characters can punish a blocked sweep at close to closest range(if not all characters)..i seem to see that Liu/cage seem to punish it well, but is it just because im not blocking immediately after i sweep, or is it completely guaranteed to punish with uppercut? and if so which characters can punish sweeps without having to think?
Up close I would have to say just about with anyone, if the speed is right that is.
Meaning, that sometimes you have more time to counter a move, like a sweep.
It depends on your position aswell as your opponent's and what is beeing done.
If you do get a beating every time you sweep, you're doing something wrong.

JF1000

Noob
Up close I would have to say just about with anyone, if the speed is right that is.
Meaning, that sometimes you have more time to counter a move, like a sweep.
It depends on your position aswell as your opponent's and what is beeing done.
If you do get a beating every time you sweep, you're doing something wrong.

Ok, so when you say "timing" you mean as far as timing goes of hitting HP for the uppercut?, or as in priority..characters with much faster uppercuts, because i have noticed different times that pretty much any character has hit an uppercut when either...

..that same person does 1 or 2 sweeps in a row(than you know they do the second one) and you go for jump over turn around cross ups(as they are in the frames of executing the 2nd sweep), then for some reason they seem to get an uppercut when your going for the TAK or deep TAK..this is a weird situation i get into sometimes, but i dun think it qualifies to be the same situation as blocked sweep than uppercut punish, though what is the difference in these to situations? sometimes close quarter playing gets me thinking sometimes.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Is Kitana really better than Lao? Lao seems much more versatile and his damage potential seems to be on par with Kitana. Whats the reasoning?

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
Is Kitana really better than Lao? Lao seems much more versatile and his damage potential seems to be on par with Kitana. Whats the reasoning?

Although a Lao master can pull off equally devastating combos, Kitana's are much easier to pull off. Also Lao's moves leave him open to mucho punishment (ie. blocked bullet kick, spin, teleport). But even so I do find Lao a tougher matchup for most characters than Kitana generally because of his speed and ability to push the pace of the match.

aCeOfSpAdEs said:
Shang? He seems to have the fastest counter reaction time to me (sweeps, kicks, uppercut)