What's new

MKAK is out NOW for PSN & XBL: Discussing First Impressions

Tim Static

Adminerator
Something about these games, even offline just feels weird.

MKAK is basically a REMASTERED Greatest Hits package, and because they changed so much, the game isnt working right.

This is a nightmare.

I think I had a better online experience playing MK3 on Xband back in the day than what I experienced with this last night on PS3. I think I will pass on buying this version and stick with UMK3 on XBLA, which somehow is a better port even though it still has issues.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Something about these games, even offline just feels weird.

MKAK is basically a REMASTERED Greatest Hits package, and because they changed so much, the game isnt working right.

This is a nightmare.
Offline, at least in arcade mode, the buffering system seems weird. I was getting really mad when I couldn't buffer Smoke's Spear or uSub's Freeze. Could just be I'm not used to an analog though.

Until they fix the netkode on this, I seriously regret spending anything on it. How did UMK3's first port run so well and this fall flat on it's face?

Oh, and GG Juggernaut

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Until they fix the netkode on this, I seriously regret spending anything on it. How did UMK3's first port run so well and this fall flat on it's face?

Oh, and GG Juggernaut
Oh did I play you? I wouldn't know because I can't see who I play due to the small sized camouflage white text. Good laggy games... :(

How did UMK3 xbla give you option to stretch the screen but AC does not? wtf, and WHY Just 1 on 1? wheres 8player or KOTH?
Why do you disappoint us so much NR Fucking hell

Satan1

Ice Pirate
Haven't got it yet, EU PSN, pft...
But what I hear from you guys:

-No spectator mode online, KOTH style play
-Yet again, badly designed interface/frontend (although it can't be as bad as the sound in the MK2 PSN ports' menu)
-Yet again, bad emulations - sound and gameplay wise
-Online is troubled (can be fixed if, hopefully)
-No extra content (would've been a nice extra when they threw in some movie clips -like the MK3 making of/ads-, old pictures or a micro MK library)

Please WB!? Don't let Backbone/Other Ocean/Foundation 9 touch any of the MK games again, Djeeze, they assrape the first most violent game ever! I think there are people on these fora that could create a better, completer and über brutal MK:AK.

Aargh, maybe it's MKak after all, as kak means sh*t in dutch... So if it finally comes out in Europe, I'll buy 10 euro's worth of sh*t (sorry for the language, almost raging fan, WTF)

aj1701

Noob
If Capcom can release an old game with new features and proper netcode why can't NRS get a simple arcade port with proper netcode.
Its not simple to take assembly code from '91 from who knows what kind of board and port it to a modern game console. And then to add netcode for something never meant to play over a network. Not easy.

And going for arcade perfect probably means they started from the ground up again.

This isn't an easy task guys...

I do hope they fix the online though.

But I thought I remember a bunch of those glitches even in the arcade version... not like they were bug free right?

Half the time I'm not even able to enter in the fatality codes because there's not enough time from when the announcer says "Finish Him." Yet on MAME I'm able to do this fine. Total garbage.
Ok, its not just me.. MK1 offline speed feels about what I remember, but I played way more MK2 in the arcade. But its like 1 second for fatality time.. that I certainly don't remember.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
I bought it this morning for XBL hoping that the online issues would be PSN exclusive but I just got online and WOW. This is fucking garbage. Save your fucking money unless you're pacified playing the CPU. I could think of a few things I'd rather do than play the CPU. I could, I don't know, say, stick my head in the oven? Yeah.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Its not simple to take assembly code from '91 from who knows what kind of board and port it to a modern game console. And then to add netcode for something never meant to play over a network. Not easy.

And going for arcade perfect probably means they started from the ground up again.

This isn't an easy task guys...

I do hope they fix the online though.

But I thought I remember a bunch of those glitches even in the arcade version... not like they were bug free right?
Its very easy actually. But they decided that just being the boring old arcade games, presented the way they were in the 90's wasnt good enough.

When has MK really ever repeated itself, EVER? Not many times, and it was always done so differently.

This really isnt shocking that they would try to do something more to these games, and at that, messing them up.

Satan1

Ice Pirate
MAME gets close...It should be an emulated game, not a build from the ground up one.

Satan1

Ice Pirate
FTW

@TimStatic
They should make you, McCarron, Shock as new producers for a Kollektion.
With guys like Juggernaut and other MK veterans as playtesters!

Don't they ever ask you guys some advice, I know what I would do as WB rep. Imagine a MK:AK with all the ROM versions/hacks playable; extra's; decent online; brütal menu's;... On PSN, XBOX Live, PC - cross play. Dream on, boy!

Tim Static

Adminerator
@TimStatic
They should make you, McCarron, Shock as new producers for a Kollektion.
With guys like Juggernaut and other MK veterans as playtesters!
You know between Pat, Shock, Zaq and me, we definitely know enough people to make this happen, and do it perfectly :coffee:

Don't they ever ask you guys some advice, I know what I would do as WB rep. Imagine a MK:AK with all the ROM versions/hacks playable; extra's; decent online; brütal menu's;... On PSN, XBOX Live, PC - cross play. Dream on, boy!
Nope, but i wish they would. I know Zaq and I would do it for free, too.

But FUCK YES to that idea!!

aj1701

Noob
Its very easy actually. But they decided that just being the boring old arcade games, presented the way they were in the 90's wasnt good enough.

When has MK really ever repeated itself, EVER? Not many times, and it was always done so differently.

This really isnt shocking that they would try to do something more to these games, and at that, messing them up.
I build software for a living, trust me, porting is HARD. And then adding new features makes it more difficult, in that you're right. Add in that you're porting likely from custom hardware to a computer (and in the PS3's case, a non-standard processor, which everyone had trouble with when the PS3 first came out), and I'm not suprised there are problems. But I don't think they're as far off the mark as being portrayed.

MAME gets close...It should be an emulated game, not a build from the ground up one.
Ok, then you gotta build your own emulator and test that (MAME has lots of known problems too), or license one, meaning we all pay more. I'm not aware of any MAME emulators that run on PS3 (one's in the works, but I doubt Sony would use it).

Emulators also slow things down, meaning more work to account for that.

Besides, the point with this wasn't to "get close" it was to be arcade perfect with online.

Satan1

Ice Pirate
@aj1701

As software dev noob I thought it would be relatively easy to port these games. Thanks for some explanation in this.
But still...

The good thing is that my expectation level sunk below sea level and can only get up by buying. MK is a bit like an addiction, you'll have that fix, even if it's bad sh*t. ;)

@TimStatic (more @WB)

So why, why don't they ask!? And make a game even when it costs 5 bucks more. Make it 25, heck, even 30 bucks for a Kollektion on disk, limited edition (fan service ;)). Just show MK some love, please!?

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
I think I understand what NRS is hoping to accomplish here.

Porting the classic games with absolutely zero online functionality is effectively drawing attention away from MK9's less-than-stellar online functionality.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Who cares about online rank? lol I'm currently like 2o something and I know I'm not THAT good...

It's just for fun anyway lol

But in terms of the online, it sucks...UMK3 especially like I'm playing underwater walking thru mud...

MK2 also slow, but no worse then PSN's version....

MK1 I found actually the best so far lol...is that sad? But it's fun in general.

P.S. anyone else know I have a question concerning one achievement, the 200 wins, is that general wins between all 3 games in total off and online?

Online only? Offline only? UMK3? MK2 or MK1? I'm guessing overall total, I have every other one though. Just curious...

I've heard that for online:
MK1 is decent, playable
MK2 is really laggy but you can get in a decent game every now and then
and UMK3 is just awful

is this true?Also scorpion saying GET- instead of get over here in UMK3. I dont know if thats funny or pathetic.

Thats sadly holding me back from buying the game, I know online would be laggy[all fighting games are for the first few weeks] but not THIS laggy, and theres alot of other problems too. Damn shame, was really looking forward to the game

REALLY hoping theres a patch

i was only playing mk1 yesterday and the online was nice, i didnt notice to much of a problem. offline i keep hearing that mk1 was very hard, but i dont remember it being much easier in any of the arcades i frequented back then.

jamessmk

I am your god
tried playing online: had a hissy fit, threw my controller at my xbox while it was flying through the air from a totally boss table flip!

edit: mother fucking button config!!!!!
Hey Lex isn't it amazing how they can make mk9, F-up the online. Then, when you think maybe redemption.... Oh no here comes more laziness

Two things I've noticed (haven't played UMK3 yet):

1. In MK1, when you drain the last of a person's life on The Pit with an uppercut, they don't automatically fall into the pit. Is this something that doesn't happen in all versions?

2. In MK2, does Scorpion not have his leg takedown? Should be DB3, right? That's what two FAQs I've checked said...