What's new

MKA Tier List/Matchup Chart? I say do it!

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Okay, I added the most recent tier list found.

One thing I see that's likely gonna change is Shang being in bottom. Shang isn't bottom at all. Safe SS that moved him backwards, STR d1 was a godlike high crush that lead to a free throw, and 3D fireball is solid for zoning.

I forgot about Hotaru. Definitely top 12 material. NAG b1 was a godlike weapon attack...great range, works as an AA, led to infinite, PUSHBACK...only problem was it was high, so he couldn't always abuse it, and when he needed to get you to respect it, he had to come in with GUA b1 and GUA b2, which were both not very safe. Good character, though.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
My brother was another good Kano user. Kano wasn't bad at all.

Also, I just remembered how good Sonya was. Kiss was fucking stupid...she was another character that beat BRC. Maybe worse than Sub and Smoke do.
You ever see the NW Chest Reflect glitch w/ her Kiss of Death that KilnKilagn and I found? We found that shit in like the last year of MKA and Check said he never even seen it either Lemme see if I can find it. NightWolf is another character I think is under-rated in MKA...and there were also very few people who used him

Ill have to PM him about it...I cant find it on Youtube, so give me a few....you can test it yourself though if you do his Chest Reflect to her Kiss of Death lol it's funny...we LOL'd for like 10 minutes, then we made a cool mini-game w/ Chest Reflect and Hsu Hao's Bouncing Red Ball projectile lol we were so high haha, u have to throw a ball at NW and dodge it on the reflection and just keep doing it and then that's it lol that's how u play the game. :)

THTB

You ever see the NW Chest Reflect glitch w/ her Kiss of Death that KilnKilagn and I found? Lemme see if I can find it. NightWolf is another character I think is under-rated in MKA...and there were also very few people who used him
Nightwolf was pretty decent...his biggest flaw was just that he didn't have any real safety. His AXE mixups were boss, though, and AXE 3 had SO much range.

Also, Fujin was a tough matchup for Dairou. Wind lift = TK lift for Ermac/Kenshi, and he had divekick over projectiles. He just wasn't as safe offensively.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Nightwolf was pretty decent...his biggest flaw was just that he didn't have any real safety. His AXE mixups were boss, though, and AXE 3 had SO much range.
Yeaaaaaaaa, man...Axes all day - Axe U+1 or B+3/F+3, and Val Tudo, D+2, mix ups...launcher, 2,3...2,3,4 or 2,3,.....2,3xX Shoulder, plus free lighting off of almost all plants and Knockdowns. I made a post the other day about how he coulda had his Tomahawks in MK9 the way Kitana uses her fans as an extension of his normals (1 & 2's), like 2 or F+2, B+2, etc...he would have been much more versatile but still wouldn't make him top tier. He could poke outta stuff easier too and wouldn't struggle as much getting in. I'm surprised they applied it to some but not the weaker characters. Imagine Kitana in MK9 if her normals were just a variety of regular punches and fans were only included in specials.

Wind lift = TK lift for Ermac/Kenshi, and ....
Mokap and Shujinko and i think Jarek's Rhino Stomp maybe too. Summoned Fiend as well in speculation, but i dont remember ever doing Fujin/Shinnok w/ anyone....like ever, so don't hold me to it.

THTB

I forgot Shujinko had lift, as did Mokap. The more I look at it...Dairou just had safety and the unpredictability of TSD. There were a lot of characters that had guaranteed options vs a jumped TSD, though.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Kano had no damage unless you could get a boost off, but he was safe in both stances and had a good jab in XIN 1. He also had the best wep AC. Ball was a godlike punisher too...no dumb inputs!

Sektor was pretty solid. His PBS stance was really good as far as poking went, and his damage without ACs was excellent. He just had no zoning, and KEN stance was blah.

Also, I forgot one big thing in this game! Staying in one stance was a bad idea...weapon stances took more damage, while h2h stances had worse range usually. This is one of the reasons Dairou was good. Because MIN had so much safety and was a compliment to his defensive options, it really boosted him as a character. He didn't risk taking absurd chunks.
MIN = ???
There were a lot of characters that had guaranteed options vs a jumped TSD, though.
The speed and recovery of his Dan Tien Dao-uppercut (D+2 = universal uppercut any character, any style, iirc)severely limited those options though, which is one of the reasons I vote him to top 3-5. He didn't really NEED a whole lot else. I never played Dave in MKA/MKD, so Dairou was one of the only (if not, thee ONLY) MUs I truly never learned at the highest level.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
hmm so are we adding bosses to the tier list?? no rules at all?? blaze and moloch dont they just become like #1 and 2?? i thought since they cant be thrown then they shouldnt be in the tier list?? there was some other reason but i forget..

mavado should be in the top 10 for sure with smoke, i dont think kabal or mokap should be in the top ten..

anyway i loved this game, still do.. i know i tried once before having this game be a tournament game 2 years ago at winter brawl, but everyone flaked it on it sadly :( its one of the few MK games where my Mains werent sindel or Kitana..

Konqrr ~ drumz discovered the jade infinite day one lol

DanCock

Cock Master!!
I forgot Shujinko had lift, as did Mokap. The more I look at it...Dairou just had safety and the unpredictability of TSD. There were a lot of characters that had guaranteed options vs a jumped TSD, though.
dont judge dave or Dairou on those videos check just posted.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
hmm so are we adding bosses to the tier list?? no rules at all?? blaze and moloch dont they just become like #1 and 2?? i thought since they cant be thrown then they shouldnt be in the tier list?? there was some other reason but i forget..

mavado should be in the top 10 for sure with smoke, i dont think kabal or mokap should be in the top ten..

anyway i loved this game, still do.. i know i tried once before having this game be a tournament game 2 years ago at winter brawl, but everyone flaked it on it sadly :( its one of the few MK games where my Mains werent sindel or Kitana..

Konqrr ~ drumz discovered the jade infinite day one lol
I have always debated whether Kabal or Mavado was better, tbh, . I really don't think either are top 10 compared to the others,but everyone agrees Smoke is top 10 . I don't remember who all was there at NECXII in the hotel room when STORMS recorded our offline matches cuz i was high as a kite and drunk as fuck, but I know while Tom Brady and Check played MKDA for about 4 hours, we passed the controller around MKD/MKA between Myself, DanCock THTB REO @Jago Evil_Riu48 and more (who am I missing), but we can all agree online an offline are different on so many levels, and in addition to that THTB and REO decided that Moloch and Blaze actually get owned at the highest level by normal characters (refer to their MKA MM$ video), thus why they want "no rules" - cuz apparently it shouldn't matter, but I still think you have to literally change how you play the game to fight vs them.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
I have always debated whether Kabal or Mavado was better, tbh, . I really don't think either are top 10 compared to the others,but everyone agrees Smoke is top 10 . I don't remember who all was there at NECXII in the hotel room when STORMS recorded our offline matches cuz i was high as a kite and drunk as fuck, but I know while Tom Brady and Check played MKDA for about 4 hours, we passed the controller around MKD/MKA between Myself, DanCock THTB REO @Jago Evil_Riu48 and more (who am I missing), but we can all agree online an offline are different on so many levels, and in addition to that THTB and REO decided that Moloch and Blaze actually get owned at the highest level by normal characters (refer to their MKA MM$ video), thus why they want "no rules" - cuz apparently it shouldn't matter, but I still think you have to literally change how you play the game to fight vs them.
Mavados hook swords are MKD's version while kabals is a nerfed version of hook swords.. mavado is actually better offline due to one of his combos or attacks in H2H that is either 3 or ends with 3 not giving him weird issues that online gave for whatever reason..

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Mavados hook swords are MKD's version while kabals is a nerfed version of hook swords.. mavado is actually better offline due to one of his combos or attacks in H2H that is either 3 or ends with 3 not giving him weird issues that online gave for whatever reason..
True....Long Fist is amazing. He basically has Drahmin's range and priority in that stance, but iirc it's not mid-combo parryable..

But LBSH, what else does he have beside some ropes and pulleys? lmao That's all he HAS is Hookswords. he has like 1 useful special.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
m2dave, he could be, but I don't think it's as likely as Sareena. Dairou's nerfs were huge in the MKD-to-MKA transition. He lost his zoning mixups with the loss of MGTSD and the jump buffs, and too many characters can actually force him into a parry-only situation after a TSD. Ermac and Kenshi have unparriable punishes with their lifts, and Kenshi bypasses iron leg on reaction.
The TS Drop is still a full screen unblockable attack that you cannot react to. The move has always been "unsafe" on whiff. If anything, the parry provides an option that he never had. Nothing has changed aside from the rapid cancels and speed. Check also proved a long time ago that the TS Drop had OTG properties offline. Besides, Dairou's pokes, strings, and damage output are actually all better in MKA.

This game never had an offline scene. It is played completely different offline than online. All people did online was jump, spam unsafe moves, and settle for mediocre combos. Dairou cannot do anything but weapon d+2 versus jumping opponents online. He can take off half your life with a single aerial cancel offline.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
The TS Drop is still a full screen unblockable attack that you cannot react to. The move has always been "unsafe" on whiff. If anything, the parry provides an option that he never had. Nothing has changed aside from the rapid cancels and speed. Check also proved a long time ago that the TS Drop had OTG properties offline. Besides, Dairou's pokes, strings, and damage output are actually all better in MKA.

This game never had an offline scene. It is played completely different offline than online. All people did online was jump, spam unsafe moves, and settle for mediocre combos. Dairou cannot do anything but weapon d+2 versus jumping opponents online. He can take off half your life with a single aerial cancel offline.
How do you explain the difference between MKD's time-gap between TSD and MKA's time-gap between TSDs vs the other options they replaced the difference with, ie, benefits vs detriment and some insight on the damage% he can do w/ 3 styles vs. 2 styles and MKA-air combos as finishers, in all terms... Pros , layman's and gamer all alike....can we dissect the things that made him God tier in MKD to a balanced top tier in MKA? And is it true that Dairou is God tier in MKD or is it actually Bo Rai Cho? lol uhm, what made him NOT be broken anymore, in other words.

Also, DanCock, I'd thank u for anymore info u have on the difference in Hookswords between the Kabal vs. Mavado. I knew standing-4 had different properties but looked the same, but i wasn't aware there were Hooksword differences...i never felt anything aside from that 3rd volley he has that Kabal can't do to MAX-out%

DanCock

Cock Master!!
How do you explain the difference between MKD's time-gap between TSD and MKA's time-gap between TSDs vs the other options they replaced the difference with, ie, benefits vs detriment and some insight on the damage% he can do w/ 3 styles vs. 2 styles and MKA-air combos as finishers, in all terms... Pros , layman's and gamer all alike....can we dissect the things that made him God tier in MKD to a balanced top tier in MKA? And is it true that Dairou is God tier in MKD or is it actually Bo Rai Cho? lol uhm, what made him NOT be broken anymore, in other words.

Also, DanCock, I'd thank u for anymore info u have on the difference in Hookswords between the Kabal vs. Mavado. I knew standing-4 had different properties but looked the same, but i wasn't aware there were Hooksword differences...i never felt anything aside from that 3rd volley he has that Kabal can't do to MAX-out%
well 4 plants with kabal in mka while 4 with mavado it still gives a free throw or 50/50 mix up options.. the bigger combo and theres something else but im having a problem recalling it (maybe air cancel combo???) .. add mavados first stance actually being decent offline.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
well 4 plants with kabal in mka while 4 with mavado it still gives a free throw or 50/50 mix up options.. the bigger combo and theres something else but im having a problem recalling it (maybe air cancel combo???) .. add mavados first stance actually being decent offline.
Mavado's damage rolls in around 50% but Kabal's is lower, towards 35%, and 4 does give Mavado a FT, but as Shogun mentioned a long time ago, and it stuck w/ me....sometimes the plant they gave Kabal mixed in with HookSwords and his Nomad Dash and Nomad's Touch proves to be more useful in certain MUs....while Mavado's more advanced pressure game may be beneficial in other MUs, more so zoning characters who struggle up-close.

The difference i mention earlier that u clicked "like" for was that Mavado gets 3 volleys off a launch for 50%, while Kabal only gets 2 for 35%. The difference actually lies in the 4, FT as opposed to it's properties as Kabal's 4, knock-down/plant(?). Why else would juggling Mavado's 1,2,4(?) juggle and allow more hits when Kabal's 1,2,4(?) does knockdown and finishes the combo?

Unless u clicked "like" for a different reason than that...

THTB

Yeah, the parry is really a buff to him and yes, you cannot react to TSD. The problem is that it cannot be thrown out repeatedly and the jump buff means that it is much safer to jump it, since iron leg isn't a guaranteed anti air anymore, and the block disable for 3 seconds is huge with the influx of lift and air fireball characters. Parry doesn't do shit for him in that scenario.

TSD is much more relegated to the OTG potential it has and is not really a zoning mixup anymore. I think he's top 4 easy, but he's really nowhere near as clearly dominant as he was.

DanCock boss properties are really good in some areas, such as the inability to get launched in most cases and increased gravity, but the bosses aren't that good at all. Blaze and Moloch are really good, but not the best. Boss blocking is a huge weakness, they have a lower jump arc, and a lot of moves turn into 50/50 mixups vs them to compensate for the juggling resistance they have. It really sucks because they easily get stuck in 50/50 loops they can't punish easily.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Here are some unreleased videos of me vs dave when he tried coming back to MKA after a year.

-snip-
A good reminder of how busted hellfire was in 3D MKs. People wonder why invincibility is through the roof and why he has no advantage on the majority of his stuff in MK9 lol

THTB

A good reminder of how busted hellfire was in 3D MKs. People wonder why invincibility is through the roof and why he has no advantage on the majority of his stuff in MK9 lol
Hellfire in the 3D MKs was a bitch. If you wanna play a good Scorpion, play MKA. :)

Or MKT, MK4, MKDA, and MKDC. ^_^

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Hellfire in the 3D MKs was a bitch. If you wanna play a good Scorpion, play MKA. :)

Or MKT, MK4, MKDA, and MKDC. ^_^
That's the funny thing, MK9 is the only game I somewhat considered playing Scorp in and then all out ended up maining him. Knowing my luck hellfire will be dumb all over again in MK10 and I won't play him. D:

What did he have in Trilogy that he didn't have in UMK3 tho? There was obviously zero reason to use him outside of random select in UMK3 thanks to Human Smoke :(

THTB

That's the funny thing, MK9 is the only game I somewhat considered playing Scorp in and then all out ended up maining him. Knowing my luck hellfire will be dumb all over again in MK10 and I won't play him. D:

What did he have in Trilogy that he didn't have in UMK3 tho? There was obviously zero reason to use him outside of random select in UMK3 thanks to Human Smoke :(
In MKT, Scorpion had a forward teleport as well, and his teleports could both be performed back to back, so long as you did the opposite one.