What's new

MKA Tier List/Matchup Chart? I say do it!

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You know what? Since REO is reigniting the fire for UMK3's tier list, I might as well reignite the one for MKA. Yes, crappy game...whatev...truthfully this is my favorite MK game lol (Moreso because it's what got me into competitive gaming in the first place and it's the game I know more than pretty much every other game).

There really wasn't a matchup chart done for the game at the time, but shit, it's all for fun and creates a healthy discussion. Why not? Who's all in?

REO m2dave Krayzie Konqrr Pig Of The Hut DanCock

Here's probably the last tier list that was developed:

Code:
Top Tier

Sareena
Dairou
Scorpion
Sub-Zero
Drahmin

Hight Tier

Kung Lao
Noob
Quan Chi
Hotaru
Tanya
Kabal
Mokap

High-Mid Tier

Raiden
Shinnok
Bo’Rai Cho
Mavado
Smoke
Liu Kang
Kira
Mileena
Nitara
Sheeva

Low-Mid Tier

Darrius
Jarek
Meat
Kenshi
Hsu Hao
Shao Kahn
Nightwolf
Li Mei
Johnny Cage
Jade
Chameleon
Kitana
Sonya
Ashrah
Taven
Daegon
Motaro
Stryker
Jax
Sektor
Cyrax
Reptile
Reiko

Low Tier

Ermac
Baraka
Rain
Kano
Goro
Kintaro
Fujin
Kobra
Shujinko
Sindel

Bottom Tier

Frost
Shang Tsung
Kai

Espio

Kokomo
I'm really curious to see how long this chart would be with over 60 characters lol. I'm interested in seeing what the numbers end up looking like too.

MKA was cool purely because almost everyone was in the game(sans Khameleon who didn't show up until Wii edition).

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Alas... UMK3 took me from playing this game after 2 weeks of it's release. I cannot help with the tier list.

All I know is it is something like this:

FIRST = Sareena
LAST = Kai

LOL

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
I, good sir, am interested in such an endeavor.
Funny story, I think I still have my Mortal Kombat Armageddon guide >_>

REO

Undead
I'm down. MKA was also one of my favorite MK games, I miss playing it competitively. How would we go about this, rules or no rules?

THTB

I'm down. MKA was also one of my favorite MK games, I miss playing it competitively. How would we go about this, rules or no rules?
IMO, no rules. Without the rules, a number of characters become a lot better, and the bosses really aren't that banworthy to begin with (Boss block is HORRIBLE, hitstun alterations means a lot of lows become even better vs them, none of them really have any advantages over the rest of the cast, and Moloch helps keep top tier in check). With infs too, Jade becomes a threat to Sareena actually. Our money match was proof enough to me the game is just better as a whole without everything being banned.

This list will be interesting as fuck, tbh.

REO

Undead
IMO, no rules. Without the rules, a number of characters become a lot better, and the bosses really aren't that banworthy to begin with (Boss block is HORRIBLE, hitstun alterations means a lot of lows become even better vs them, none of them really have any advantages over the rest of the cast, and Moloch helps keep top tier in check). With infs too, Jade becomes a threat to Sareena actually.

This list will be interesting as fuck, tbh.
I see.

Well to start things off, obvious high tiers are:

Sareena
Jade
Dairou
Blaze
Drahmin
Scorpion
Sub-Zero
Quan Chi
Kung Lao
Tanya
Noob Saibot
Kabal
Mokap
Kenshi

This is in no order, but I believe these are the top 14 characters. The orders are debatable and we would need to get into match-ups to get some fully figured out.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Unless you like to see someone combo you for five consecutive minutes, there must be some kind of limit to aerial cancels. I have always suggested one aerial cancel per combo. I think the game is too monotonous otherwise.

Konqrr, I am not 100% convinced that Sareena is the best character in the game offline. People complained about Shao Kahn's online f,f+4 in MK vs. DC when Sareena's online f,f+1 in MK:A was at least twice as effective. All Skarlet players abused nothing but lag tactics. I could make a very good case for Dairou being the best character in the game.

REO

Undead
Unless you like to see someone combo you for five consecutive minutes, there must be some kind of limit to aerial cancels. I have always suggested one aerial cancel per combo. I think the game is too monotonous otherwise.

Konqrr, I am not 100% convinced that Sareena is the best character in the game offline. People complained about Shao Kahn's online f,f+4 in MK vs. DC when Sareena's online f,f+1 in MK:A was at least twice as effective. All Skarlet players abused nothing but lag tactics. I could make a very good case for Dairou being the best character in the game.
I think the "best character" in the game could come down to any one of the following three:

Dairou
Sareena
Drahmin

We would need an accurate match up list to determine who is the best, though. For example, Sareena and Dairou are good against characters like Sub-Zero and Quan Chi, but ass against characters like Moloch and Blaze. Drahmin is great against characters like Blaze and Moloch, but has some trouble against characters with great pokes and low hitboxes like Tanya.

Also Jade is extremely good, I can see her squeezing into top three with a good case.

THTB

I see.

Well to start things off, obvious top tiers are:

Sareena
Jade
Dairou
Blaze
Drahmin
Scorpion
Sub-Zero
Quan Chi
Tanya
Noob Saibot
Kabal
Kenshi

This is in no order, but I believe these are the top 12 characters.The orders are debatable and we would need to get into match-ups to get some fully figured out.
I think BRC is top 12. BRC is fucked up once he gets in...his throw is probably the best non-launch throw in the game. Plus his forward movement is retarded in h2h stance. Puke is puke...don't stand still or you die.

Noob is decent...good whiff punishment and a solid projectile, but he has really bad lows and awful recovery, so he has a ridiculously hard time coming back. Though he's a bastard if he touches you...50% BnB and the best h2h AK set, so he has easy time infs.

Quan Chi is really good here, too. His 50/50 game is gay as shit. Quan lovers wanna play a good Quan Chi? Play MKA lol. Ironically, MK9 Quan plays extremely similar to MKA Quan Chi.

Dairou's keepaway is really strong in this game, but it definitely took a hit with the TSD nerfs and the buff to jump heights. Because TSD isn't as fast, air fireballs give him a really hard time, and characters who can hit Dairou from range after TSD gives him some troubles. IMO, Jarek, Tanya, Kenshi, Kung Lao and Nitara are pretty difficult matchups for him. Jarek avoids TSD really well with pound, Tanya and Nitara's air fireballs are good here, Kung Lao has divekick and h2h 2, and Kenshi and Ermac have the best punish to TSD.

REO

Undead
I think BRC is top 12. BRC is fucked up once he gets in...his throw is probably the best non-launch throw in the game. Plus his forward movement is retarded in h2h stance. Puke is puke...don't stand still or you die.

Noob is decent...good whiff punishment and a solid projectile, but he has really bad lows and awful recovery, so he has a ridiculously hard time coming back. Though he's a bastard if he touches you...50% BnB and the best h2h AK set, so he has easy time infs.

Quan Chi is really good here, too. His 50/50 game is gay as shit. Quan lovers wanna play a good Quan Chi? Play MKA lol. Ironically, MK9 Quan plays extremely similar to MKA Quan Chi.
I forgot about BRC. Yeah, I'd place him up there as well. The roster is so huge, I'm forgetting some of the characters.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
Is Bo Rai Cho any worse in this game than he was in Deception? He was overpowered to the point of hilarity in that game.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I think the "best character" in the game could come down to any one of the following three:

Dairou
Sareena
Drahmin

We would need an accurate match up list to determine who is the best, though. For example, Sareena and Dairou are good against characters like Sub-Zero and Quan Chi, but ass against characters like Moloch and Blaze. Drahmin is great against characters like Blaze and Moloch, but has some trouble against characters with great pokes and low hitboxes like Tanya.

Also Jade is extremely good, I can see her squeezing into top three with a good case.
What about the last hit of Drahmin's 1,1,CS being easily parriable offline? How much is that of an issue for him?

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
You know what? Since REO is reigniting the fire for UMK3's tier list, I might as well reignite the one for MKA. Yes, crappy game...whatev...truthfully this is my favorite MK game lol (Moreso because it's what got me into competitive gaming in the first place and it's the game I know more than pretty much every other game).

There really wasn't a matchup chart done for the game at the time, but shit, it's all for fun and creates a healthy discussion. Why not? Who's all in?

REO m2dave Krayzie Konqrr Pig Of The Hut DanCock

Dairou
Sareena
Drahmin

My, how you guys have been longing to do this. REO just was LOOKING for a reason to post his MM w/ THTB for any reason he could LOL. I assume that's why you came running with a hard-on to make this thread? lmao

Here's something for some help: http://blackdragonmk.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=mka&action=display&thread=37

and a few of the most-detail guides I could type up, but I just felt overwhelmed after a few hours: http://blackdragonmk.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=mka&action=display&thread=192

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
THTB, I think this will probably be like the 5th attempt to do something with this, (noteably after NECXII and WB5)and each time it was abandoned from lack of offline experience, and just an overwhelming roster to cover. Can you imagine IF I would have finished the strategy guides i linked to of EVERY CHARACTER? Those 4 took several hours by themselves. I'm telling you man, we've tried doing this numerous times and it always ends up the same....but carry on, I always said anything worth starting is generally worth finishing

THTB

Is Bo Rai Cho any worse in this game than he was in Deception? He was overpowered to the point of hilarity in that game.
He has less range on wep 3 and his throw isn't as good, but he's every bit as fucked up. Just don't let him in. His worst matchups are Smoke and Sub, easily, though. He does not get close to either character.

What about the last hit of Drahmin's 1,1,CS being easily parriable offline? How much is that of an issue for him?
He can't spam the string obviously, but it's still among the best whiff punishers in the game. But yeah, 11CS being parriable is a big deal, and it keeps him from being as good as he is online. I don't think he's possible for the best. I think Sareena is probably the only safe bet, but she does have matchups she has trouble in. Scorpion has one of the best options to get in on Sareena and gets her to stop spamming knives, Jade both avoids knives and completely outranges her.

THTB, I think this will probably be like the 5th attempt to do something with this, (noteably after NECXII and WB5)and each time it was abandoned from lack of offline experience, and just an overwhelming roster to cover. Can you imagine IF I would have finished the strategy guides i linked to of EVERY CHARACTER? Those 4 took several hours by themselves. I'm telling you man, we've tried doing this numerous times and it always ends up the same....but carry on, I always said anything worth starting is generally worth finishing
I'll make sure this gets worked on. :)
@GLoRToR, you'll LOVE MKA Jade. Her best incarnation yet. HUGE range, best throw in the game, best free throw in the game, flash is REALLY good.​

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
You quoted me and then didn't say a thing to me X_X

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
I'll make sure this gets worked on. :)
Alright Tay, just hit me up if u have any questions or want some input...i think I was was one of the last people who stopped playing MKA so most of it is still fresh in my head to an extent. Glad to help if i can. Those links were actually refernced by you previous iirc, so maybe just try and find our old notes and build from there. I swear I remember you posting a HUGE mass of MKA shit last year after our offline MKA sessions

You quoted me and then didn't say a thing to me X_X
LMAO. Not sure how that happened. I guess that's why they call me "The Absent-Minded Professor" (it's an old Disney reference)

THTB

Alright Tay, just hit me up if u have any questions or want some input...i think I was was one of the last people who stopped playing MKA so most of it is still fresh in my head to an extent. Glad to help if i can. Those links were actually refernced by you previous iirc, so maybe just try and find our old notes and build from there. I swear I remember you posting a HUGE mass of MKA shit last year after our offline MKA sessions
Yeah, I forgot wtf happened to that big thread. It was really good and a lot of the things I know now about the game came from those sessions. I've been wanting to do this since WB last year.

Man, that's where I learned how godlike Jade was. Top 3 character easy.

m2dave, he could be, but I don't think it's as likely as Sareena. Dairou's nerfs were huge in the MKD-to-MKA transition. He lost his zoning mixups with the loss of MGTSD and the jump buffs, and too many characters can actually force him into a parry-only situation after a TSD. Ermac and Kenshi have unparriable punishes with their lifts, and Kenshi bypasses iron leg on reaction.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
THTB, you do not think Dairou is a candidate for one of the best characters in the game?
Easily. What we really need is a big set of best Sareena ( REO) vs best Dairou ( m2dave) offline and we might be able to get a more accurate top 5 read-out. Those 2 are arguably the best turtlers in the game.

Yeah, I forgot wtf happened to that big thread. It was really good and a lot of the things I know now about the game came from those sessions. I've been wanting to do this since WB last year.

Man, that's where I learned how godlike Jade was. Top 3 character easy.
iirc, she's the only character that can rushdown Sareena and if we play "no rules" her infinite pretty much fucks everyone sideways. What else did u have in mind? You could probably find the old thread w/ a search unless it was lost when TYM went down. I'm pretty sure no rules moves Havik WAY up the list cuz of his "50/50-infinite" as well (or w/e we wanna call it), but top 3 for Jade is kind of a stretch IMO....maybe top 10 LOL

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Chameleon: 4, free throw, sweep, 44 throw, 43 411combos across whole subway.
Motaro: mule kick, 9% low, plus mid charge.

Man...good times