What's new

MK9: Unofficial Tier List Speculation, and/or Character Shenanigans Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
No offense, I'm not an a great player on MK9, but Online Gameplay vs Offline Tournament scene is vastly different. You're whining about nerfs due to lag, delays and other garbage, when in reality you're just shafting the whole MK FG scene tournament wise because KL does work online. Nerfing a character when looking from a lag and delay PoV is a poor assessment of character balance and doesn't constitute in change.

I'm pretty sure any of the top players here know how to handle KL offline, which should be the main focus of discussion when speaking of balance, and I'm highly confident that it is NRS' goal as well. Seeing the success of SSFIV was largely due to its strong offline FG community, why would you touch something that is easily punishable, as TB and most high level players say, just to cater to the online aspect where players only care about W/Ls. And if that W/Ls come at the sacrifice for nerfing/beefing unnecessary aspects of the game that are fine, just so people can boast about their rank, is pretty terrible.

It's like all these wannabe sit a home Pros giving a negative image on MLG, because they bought a $2 gamerpicture and run around talking smack in online MP games. Than actual MLG players who compete to win prize money at live events get the same reflection, when in they don't behave like that. There 2 different environments.

The netcode needs sorting first.

My 2 cents.

Ok, no offense man, but seriously you seem to have misunderstood everything I said. Secondly, I'm not whining about "nerfing" characters, when did I complain? I said, IF Ermac gets one which he will, I just hope it's not a dramatic nerf....I do not whine about nerfs, I've said this earlier that I'm all for whoever needs it....No I didn't and never said I'm bitching about lag or nerfs due to it....where did I say that? Oh wait I didn't....seriously please read more carefully next time because I never said that...All I've said were two things concerning nerfs :1. Kung Lao should get one, Baraka and Stryker need to be buffed imo and 2. If Ermac got nerfed, I had hoped it wasn't a HUGE one since he doesn't dominate the entire game...

Thirdly, I'm confident I can handle Kung Lao on or offline but obviously all this among other things out there got the attention of NRS....I've always played MK, the only thing I'm new to is this offline gig but I've hardly new to how the games work. I'm merely brought up earlier that DUE to the lag/delay and bs online it makes more work for you to land certain combos online as oppose to offline, like you said the timing is very different...But I do and have played a lot of MK9 vs. my friends offline just to see what works/what doesn't as oppose to online etc and obviously it's better then online. Not sure why you brought up the MLG thing, I happen to know a pro-gamer personally as good friend I've worked with on some things. Most gamers don't get pro level or paid....it's just a game and rank online is just a number, means little just like people assuming they can beat another player they've yet to play....

Since I from england I wont be able to play all the US pros, but I can and do play the top English players.

Ermacs combos will always be easier than Kung Laos, no matter how you look at it, as long as u can teleport and press 22 you arent gonna have a hard time playing him (so long as you start a combo). So surely Ermac should be nerfed just like KL

Its roughly 45% Midscreen for both of them using 1 bar off of the meter.

IDK why im even arguing about combos lol Mr Checkterlantern

You can't play the US guys? I mean online, with the worldwide xbox servers? I was playing some dude form Ireland the other day lol. But at any rate, the lag would probably be horrendous.....but I'm referring to juggle combos with teleporting, Ermac combos are more precise then some of Kung Lao's corner combos right next to you....that's why it really depends which combos you speak of. I do not rely on the dashing, 22 combos....too easy to miss and/or whiff so I use other things like safe JP's, JK's, teleports into force push's etc, etc and his teleporting, extra hit into x-ray are NOT easy to get....for check and lantern I'm sure it's easier for them, but for the typical player yeah...you're going to need practice bigtime on or offline with some of those crazy ones to land.

Ermac has a lot of combos of various styles and methods, some are ridiculous with low pokes, dashing etc while others are easier but can do as much if not more damage. Check and Lantern made great vids, I'm no combo king but I do know which combos require ridiculous timing with Ermac as oppose to some others lol

lobo

woof.
You didn't know? I've put my Battle Points from SSF4 on my resume to land jobs. Chicks dig my BP too.
dude...true story;

i once used utorrent + cassandra's i26 knockdown low to get a 200 win streak in soul calibur 4 online ranked. this isn't impressive so much as the fact that the whole time i was doing it i was drinking very heavily. after my epic lagstreak i went to a house party where i, extremely inebriated, tried to impress a couple girls by explaining to them that i had "1A'd" 200 people to death in a row. this led to me explaining what 1A meant to them, which in turn led to me sleeping by myself. it was one of my grandest failures ever.

oZii

Noob
No offense, I'm not an a great player on MK9, but Online Gameplay vs Offline Tournament scene is vastly different. You're whining about nerfs due to lag, delays and other garbage, when in reality you're just shafting the whole MK FG scene tournament wise because KL does work online. Nerfing a character when looking from a lag and delay PoV is a poor assessment of character balance and doesn't constitute in change.

I'm pretty sure any of the top players here know how to handle KL offline, which should be the main focus of discussion when speaking of balance, and I'm highly confident that it is NRS' goal as well. Seeing the success of SSFIV was largely due to its strong offline FG community, why would you touch something that is easily punishable, as TB and most high level players say, just to cater to the online aspect where players only care about W/Ls. And if that W/Ls come at the sacrifice for nerfing/beefing unnecessary aspects of the game that are fine, just so people can boast about their rank, is pretty terrible.

It's like all these wannabe sit a home Pros giving a negative image on MLG, because they bought a $2 gamerpicture and run around talking smack in online MP games. Than actual MLG players who compete to win prize money at live events get the same reflection, when in they don't behave like that. There 2 different environments.

The netcode needs sorting first.

My 2 cents.
May I refer you to page 7 the intial post that started all this made by OMG PRO PLAYER

I change my opinion on who is the #1 character in this game. It is no longer Sub to me, it is Kung Lao...

Yes, he is unsafe when his moves are blocked. Yes, Reptile beats him.

But there is no way to stop him from coming at you unless you have ice clone. Even then that is a free teleport to get in. Dive kick punishes every projectile attempt from near to full screen. Dive kick auto-corrects if you try to avoid it and go under him or teleport away trying to avoid that last hit of chip that would kill you... you still get hit. Spin active frames are there for ever, this is a problem in the corner when he is just out of range...it's very hard to punish/stop and impossible to jump out. His roll attack forces you to respect the spin and thus you block and get thrown or stuck in a blockstring mixup where a scrubby spin comes out randomly.

Teleport Throw is SO STUPID. Yes, you can uppercut it before it happens, you can dash out, you can jump out if you are fast enough, it's slow... yes, I get that. But what about on wakeup? He teleports behind you so you can't do a wakeup attack (afaik), and he is already in prime position to throw you or overhead. If you do a recovery, you are almost guaranteed to be thrown. You can't jump out because the fucking throw grabs you out of the air, which in itself is stupid as hell.

Maybe I'm just venting to losing to a crazy rushdown kung lao player who did hella unsafe shit but got away with it because I failed to punish hard enough. No matter what, he was on top of me and I had to guess to get out and take risk to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I won more games in the set and pretty much started it going 5-0 before the bullshit ensued... but I'm no noob at this game.

I think that Kung Lao is a stupid scrub character and that is not what NRS wants in this game. He needs a nerf...

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Last time I checked they didn't hand out awards to people who purposefully use low tier characters to avoid being called a scrub. If you insist on using Baraka full knowing that he is a weak character, don't expect any sympathy from me - and sure as hell don't call for nerfs on a character you know absolutely nothing about. Instead, focus on what NRS needs to do in order to make YOUR character stronger. That's far more positive and creative than what is going on in this thread at the moment.

tried to impress a couple girls by explaining to them that i had "1A'd" 200 people to death in a row. this led to me explaining what 1A meant to them, which in turn led to me sleeping by myself. it was one of my grandest failures ever.
Doesn't sound like you're a very good salesman.

dude...true story;

i once used utorrent + cassandra's i26 knockdown low to get a 200 win streak in soul calibur 4 online ranked. this isn't impressive so much as the fact that the whole time i was doing it i was drinking very heavily. after my epic lagstreak i went to a house party where i, extremely inebriated, tried to impress a couple girls by explaining to them that i had "1A'd" 200 people to death in a row. this led to me explaining what 1A meant to them, which in turn led to me sleeping by myself. it was one of my grandest failures ever.
This is literally the single greatest story ive heard in a while......Kudos my friend...Kudos.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
dude...true story;

Godlike story.

I am what's wrong with the MK community because I asked a simple few questions to the posters of this thread? There you go once again making up shit like, "playing against better players than yourself." I said COMPETENT - I didn't say BETTER. And that was in the context of a question to everyone here not referring to myself - none of which was BRAGGING either.

This is the second time you've made shit up about me. First it was that I was against glitch fixing and now this. I haven't used my moderation powers beyond accepting people when registering on this forum but if you continue to make shit up and miss quote what I said - I will be forced to use them in other ways.
Now that's salt!

You know Arturo was also at PowerUp but he stank. Point I'm trying to make? Anyone can participate at an offline tournament, does that mean Arturo knows more about MK than us? Hell no. The guy's obviously a newb like most us (actually like Tom Brady said we're all new to the game). So to actually try and make the argument that participating in a offline tournament and playing against competent players makes YOU or anyone else better, smarter or more credible than another person posting in this thread is just.. just.. wow. Absolutely dumb and ridiculous.

Just stop this elistic attitude. Ban me if you want, I don't really care. Is this the only way you have to win your arguments? Threatening members to ban them because they disagree with your silly comments?

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Now that's salt!

You know Arturo was also at PowerUp but he stank. Point made: Anyone can participate at an offline tournament, does that mean Arturo knows more about MK than us? Hell no. The guy's obviously a newb like most us (actually like Tom Brady said we're all new to the game). So to actually try and make the argument that participating in a offline tournament and playing against competent players makes YOU or anyone else better, smarter or more credible than another person posting in this thread is just.. just.. wow. Absolutely dumb and ridiculous.

Stop this elistic attitude. Ban me if you want, is this the only way you have to win your arguments? Threatening members to ban them because they disagree with your silly comments?
Quoted before you ninja edit your post.

Last edited by Vulcan Hades; Today at 03:09 PM. This is his third edit btw.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
This thread has fallen apart. For a while I think there was some interesting discussion in here. I'm sorry to see it gone. Anyway I'm headed back to the Stryker forums. Thanks to anyone who had a positive discussion agreeing or disagree with me.

lobo

woof.
You know Arturo was also at PowerUp but he stank. Point made: Anyone can participate at an offline tournament, does that mean Arturo knows more about MK than us? Hell no. The guy's obviously a newb like most us (actually like Tom Brady said we're all new to the game). So to actually try and make the argument that participating in a offline tournament and playing against competent players makes YOU or anyone else better, smarter or more credible than another person posting in this thread is just.. just.. wow. Absolutely dumb and ridiculous.
um...rofl.

i hope you realize how silly it looks when you insult players for going to tournaments. last time i checked, this site was here, first and foremost, to facilitate people meeting, organizing, and doing exactly that. also, last time i checked, an average scrub who shows up to tournaments and gets his ass kicked still has a better understanding of the game and scene than pretty much anybody who sits at home on XBL lagstreaking.

um...rofl.

i hope you realize how silly it looks when you insult players for going to tournaments.
You're kidding right? Like I really insulted people for going to tournaments. Learn to read bro.

Quoted before you ninja edit your post.

Last edited by Vulcan Hades; Today at 03:09 PM. This is his third edit btw.
Just for the record, I edited my post to make it more readable. Not to remove anything. :) I'm a perfectionist about little details sometimes. And english is not my first language so I was merely correcting my mistakes. That is all.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Anyhow, I'm done with this thread. I'll occasionally check up on the usual suspects in case they need to get banned. Otherwise, I'll be over at the Baraka forums complaining about how good he is and how bad he's in need of nerfs - even though I have never played as or against a Baraka yet.

Stay salty and free.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Okay...onto WindJammers!

USA black guy is god tier. HIS SUPER THROW BOUNCES OFF THE WALLS LIKE CRAZY YO!

KL spin is not an issue. if you block it off of a string so that it has slightly more push out, then punish w/fast special. if you block spin as you rush in or on wake up then dash in and combo.

Sabin

Elder God
entertaining thread but it degenerated in the past few pages lol. reo needs to come over and school me on the spooky stream sometime. i dont really care about ego in this game but if i dont play offline comp im not gonna get better and i wont learn punishment.

Only thing I can come up with after reading this thread is

MK IS SRS BIZZ

On another note, I was a pro Karate Champ player back in 86 and I always felt like the red guy was OP and needed to be nerfed!

Dark_Rob

Noob
reo needs to come over and school me on the spooky stream sometime. i dont really care about ego in this game but if i dont play offline comp im not gonna get better and i wont learn punishment.
Spoken like a true competitor. Take notes people. You dont hear Arturo crying about "this character is to good" or "OMGZ Kung Lao is BROKE"
He just wants to play the best and get better.

Sabin

Elder God
tom is 30 minutes away from spookys house right now but the arc only has the xbox version as does spookys house...so we wont even able to play. it sucks.

we tried to link up this weekend but couldnt make it happen :( considering that tom/reo/lijoe were all in top 3 at battlefield house stream woulda ben sick as fuck.

as for kung i mean hes obviously hella good but im not really good enough at the game yet to really complain. of course i have my own opinions but i keep them to myself until i have a better understanding of the game.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Which has nothing to absolutely do with the discussion. You might need to take a trip back to page 7 when Konqrr (OMG PRO PLAYER) brought up Kung Lao and the spin. It was completely fine and reasonable until people wanted to hop in a internet thread and try to Force their opinions on others based off there pro-ness.
I was just hella salty that a mashing kung lao player could get away with the spin and random shit the way he did even though I destroyed him.

After talking to Tom Brady about my issues with KL, I went into training mode to practice punishing the spin and learned a shitload about how I should approach the matchup.

The next time that I played that random KL player, I destroyed him badly.

Kung Lao is fine, the spin is fine. You just need to practice punishing him and get some real life experience vs someone good offline.

Gemini Knight

Astaroth needs Fatalities
First off, I would like to say that this site is awesome. I've learned so much more everyday.

Second, when will this patch take effect?

Third, what will happen if by chance the DLC characters turn out to be really good?

Finally, based on what has been debated on, does every character have a fighting chance? I mean, Kuma is the worst character in Tekken, but I've seen peeps either place high or win tournaments with him. I understand Baraka is on the other side of the tier spectrum, but I am asking that, with solid gameplay and good decisions, can someone be dedicated to win a tourney with him, or any character that is low tier? To me, it seems like people don't mind using who they like, but shouldn't that be a good thing?

I know that the top 7 have an easier time getting the wins, but what's wrong with mastering your favorite character, taking the bad with the good, and mastering them to the point of having the confidence to take on anyone? The way this thread has been going, this game will no longer be fun anymore.

If this is what TYM is about when it comes to tiers than I probably should avoid this whole topic/thread/discussion and just go to SRK. I don't think I can handle this many complaints per character. Next week it will be about Raiden, 2 weeks later it will be NW, 2 weeks later it will be reptile, etc etc.

Whatever you guys do, you better not be chanting about nerfs for any of the whores in this game or else there will be real blood on the streets. NRS will balance shit however they see fit but I don't want a fucking "nerf fervor" to dictate who gets nerf and how.

Dark_Rob

Noob
If this is what TYM is about when it comes to tiers than I probably should avoid this whole topic/thread/discussion and just go to SRK. I don't think I can handle this many complaints per character. Next week it will be about Raiden, 2 weeks later it will be NW, 2 weeks later it will be reptile, etc etc.

Whatever you guys do, you better not be chanting about nerfs for any of the whores in this game or else there will be real blood on the streets. NRS will balance shit however they see fit but I don't want a fucking "nerf fervor" to dictate who gets nerf and how.
That is not what TYM is about. However like with any site that gets more popular in a fast period of time and gets a large influx of newer players, not everyone is going to understand competitive high level play and how it works. Rather then denegrate or insult these members(which im not saying you did, Im just speaking generally) it is the communities job to educate them.

Nerfing seems to have become the new trend. This isnt by any means limited to Mortal Kombat. The SF4 series has gone through several iterations and revisions. MVC3 has already been patched and is still a pretty new game. Im by no means a fan of nerfing for nerfings sake or just to appease those who scream about something just because they cant beat it. There are times when something truly is to good and needs to be patched out.
There are a few things like that in MK9, but almost none of them are the things being talked about in this thread. Most of the things that are truly bad are only known by a few people.

Status
Not open for further replies.