What's new

Discussion MK9/MKX...Which Game Had The Best Version of a Character?

ando1184

Noob
Since this is a variation game, wouldn't this kinda thing make more sense to compare "variationless" characters to the mk9 roster? Obviously triborg is specific to each character but every variation is unique and a seperate character entirely almost.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
For starters, the best normal attack in Mortal Kombat 9 was arguably Johnny Cage's f+3, but f+3 is even better in Mortal Kombat X. While slightly slower (f+3 has 9 frames of start up in Mortal Kombat if I recall correctly), f+3 in Mortal Kombat X has slightly more range, is +15 on block when run canceled, and can also be whiff canceled.

I also believe the following normal attacks are superior to almost anything in Mortal Kombat 9.

Alien - f+1 - 12F mid with very good range. b+3 - half screen low attack with no hurt box.
Kotal Kahn - b+1 - 9F mid poke with very good range that leads to tick throws. -2 on block.
Mileena - b+1,2 - long range poke. No hurt box.
Quan Chi - b+2 - long range overhead that leads to vortex with one bar.
Shinnok - 7F low attack that leads to +14 on block with one bar.
Tremor - f+1,2,1 - 7F advancing high string. +2 on block.

Nothing like Alien's b+3 and Mileena's b+1,2 exists in Mortal Kombat 9. I guess the closest thing would be Kitana's f+2,1 (16F and -1 on block if I recall correctly).
Also Cassie B1 is a top tier Normal as well. With B12 whiff punishing is amazing

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
You think MKX has better Footsies?

It has more diverse Footsies over MK9s rather same space for all, I think the neutral be a lot more evident if 50/50 where less of a factor and some runs got normalised plus you should not be able to cancel your run to jump IMO it creates an extra unneeded guessing game.
imma have to disagree with the whole nerfing runs speeds and making it so u cant jump after.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Khaotic I almost entirely agree with your list but out of curiosity how does Quan not have a (lol) beside him? :DOGE
Forward movement is better in Mortal Kombat X. Backward movement may actually be better in Mortal Kombat 9 as the game does not punish you for backdashing.

Generally, anything related to offense is better in X while anything related to defense is better in 9, which is pitiful because we are talking about a game with horrendously delayed blocking mechanics, unsafe low pokes, and glitches that drain your meter for trying to escape.
Some characters also had no armor/invincibility on their EX moves whatsoever, invincibility on backdashes weren't a thing yet, a frame less priority against opposing attacks if you were on player 2 side and for good measure, MK9 had a training mode that emulated Stevie Wonder with rearranged furniture. Are you absolutely certain MK9 provided better defensive options?

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Anti Air=9 (Not by much though...pretty much almost everyone has an armored move in X to plow through jump ins, but pretty much everyone gets the same reward for an anti air though, so whatever.)
Defense=9 (Again, not by much. MKX's version of Defense is all around armor or guessing right since there's not much to be said for zoning. MK9's pace is still fast though)
Offense=X (50-50's on top of 50-50's on top of even more 50-50's brought to you by Paulo's Vision. And you thought Injustice's 50-50's were stupid?)
Footsies=9 (Not. Even. Close. There's barely anything resembling a footsie game in MKX when everyone has at least one ranged normal/special attacks and the movement being geared towards in your face 24/7. I hate to say this, and...i'll probably get shafted for it too, but it makes the footsie game way too linear and one dimensional for my tastes.)
Zoning=9 (No explanation required.)

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Khaotic I almost entirely agree with your list but out of curiosity how does Quan not have a (lol) beside him? :DOGE

Some characters also had no armor/invincibility on their EX moves whatsoever, invincibility on backdashes weren't a thing yet, a frame less priority against opposing attacks if you were on player 2 side and for good measure, MK9 had a training mode that emulated Stevie Wonder with rearranged furniture. Are you absolutely certain MK9 provided better defensive options?
I mainly had LOLs next to the characters who legit climbed/dropped tiers massively from game to game. I know Quan is good now in MKX but I don't remember how bad he was in MK9. All the other characters I had LOL next to were obvious lol

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Are you absolutely certain MK9 provided better defensive options?
I have been part of the fighting game community for over a decade. I have played and observed many fighting games throughout the years. While I never played Marvel, Mortal Kombat X's offense, particularly in previous versions, is the best one I have ever seen, so, yes, Mortal Kombat 9 has superior defensive options by default.

When everything is said and done and the time comes to reflect, the community will reminisce and laugh at some of the offensive options like Alien's current 50/50 mix ups, Kano's current 50/50 mix ups, pre-patch Kung Lao's +27 on block EX hat spin pressure, pre-patch Quan Chi's pre-patch vortex, Shinnok's pre-patch +24 on block EX hell sparks pressure and vortex, Tanya's rekka pressure, Tremor's pre-patch up rock vortex and EX low stone shatter pressure, etc. The list of insanity goes on and on.

Comparing Mortal Kombat 9 to Mortal Kombat X is unfair anyway. Mortal Kombat X received more patches and hot fixes.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Quan is clearly better in MKX.

....That said, I do miss The Rune Trap.

Also, people that say that zoning in MK9 was strong aren't entirely correct. Most projectiles sucked something fierce in that game. Freddy could zone, Kabal could zone, and Kenshi could zone.

Almost every other zoner (Sindel, Noob) were not very good. Kitana's strength was less about the fireballs and more about her range on normals. Toward the end of the game'a life, no one was losing to fan zoning, they were losing to Kitana out-performing them in footsies due to the range she could play her game and check people.

Tweedy

Noob
Alien's 50/50s aren't even comparable to Kano's.

What's dumb about Alien is his 3/4th screen normals, gallons of armor and jump 2 that is nearly impossible to anti air.

The 50/50s are just the icing on the cake. He's like a better version of War God.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !

the practice mode was very new and minimal, but that doesn't have much to do with the actual mechanics of almost everyone in the gaming having the same ways out. (balanced poking) that alone was enough to provide defensive options due to being +20 wasn't even relatively close to being a thing.

I'm gonna rate mine in terms of how much more fun I think they are to play and if I think they're a better character.

Kung Lao = Fun: 9 - Character: 9
Jax = Fun: X (although this may be a bit biased as I play Jax in X whereas I didn't all that much in 9 lol) - Character: X (MKX comics doe)
Sonya = Fun: Tie - Character: X
Kenshi = Fun: 9 - Character: X (no other choice)
Kitana = Fun: Tie - Character: 9
Scorpion = Fuck Scorpion (was a better character in 9 though).
Sub-Zero = Fun: 9 - Character: 9
Mileena = Fun: 9 - Character: X
Kano = Fun: Tie - Character: Tie
Johnny Cage = FOREVER MK 9
Liu Kang
= Fun: 9 - Character: 9
Ermac = Fun: Slight edge to 9 - Character: X
Reptile = Fun: 9 - Character: X
Raiden = Fun: 9 - Character: His character sucks now. NRS have turned him into an idiot. Here's hoping Dark Raiden redeems himself in the next game.
Quan Chi = Fun: 9 - Character: Tie
Cyrax = Fun: 9 (lol touch of death resets ftw) - Character: 9 (no other choice)
Smoke = Fun: 9 - Character: 9
Sektor = Fun: Tie - Character: 9 (no other choice)
Cyber Sub Zero = Fun: X - Character: 9 (although he is technically in X albeit briefly because of the comics)

Last edited:

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I mainly had LOLs next to the characters who legit climbed/dropped tiers massively from game to game. I know Quan is good now in MKX but I don't remember how bad he was in MK9. All the other characters I had LOL next to were obvious lol
I guess you could argue Quan wasn't bottom tier per se in MK9 but in all honesty it was really just the rune trap and skeletal boost loopholes that kept him out of it.

the practice mode was very new and minimal, but that doesn't have much to do with the actual mechanics of almost everyone in the gaming having the same ways out. (balanced poking) that alone was enough to provide defensive options due to being +20 wasn't even relatively close to being a thing.
Pokes had shit all hit advantage in MK9 barring D4s which were universally 12 frame startup with a few exceptions.

Also, anything in MKX within the realms of double digit plus frames generally is tied to a resource and otherwise has limited utility. While that's not the case so much in MK9, almost everyone could come in with their go-to buttons at no real cost.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
mine

Kung Lao 9: his mobility was broken.
Jax X: thank god he main strings stop whiffing
Sonya 9: broken 50/50, damage, footsie, d4 MS bodies 3/4 of the cast
Kenshi (lol) 9: lol
Kitana 9=X: I think it's a tie. Finally she can wakeup in MKX.
Scorpion X: wasn't his MK9 d4 zero plus frame on HIT?
Sub Zero X: I'd rather have an Ice Klone that malfunctions sometimes than an Ice Klone that never worked at all
Mileena X: beautiful beast
Kano (lol) X
Johnny Cage 9: he was Hollywoody youngy and cocky
Liu Kang X=9; you can't deny that MK9 Liu was very good with close range footsie and long range safe zoning
Ermac X:
Reptile X=9: MK9 Reptile was kinda broken in some matchups but he did fine on tier list
Raiden X: They really overnerfed BOTH Raiden....I don't even know if X is better
Quan Chi X: obviously
Cyrax (lol) 9: he was way too broken in MK9
Smoke 9: same as above
Sektor 9: idk I hate this asshole
Cyber Sub Zero X
I'll add one because you guys forgot she exists
Jade X: at least Jade in X can do something with glaives.... MK9 Jade was hopeless

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I guess you could argue Quan wasn't bottom tier per se in MK9 but in all honesty it was really just the rune trap and skeletal boost loopholes that kept him out of it.

Pokes had shit all hit advantage in MK9 barring D4s which were universally 12 frame startup with a few exceptions.

Also, anything in MKX within the realms of double digit plus frames generally is tied to a resource and otherwise has limited utility. While that's not the case so much in MK9, almost everyone could come in with their go-to buttons at no real cost.
Actually, low pokes that hit crouching opponents were usually more + than hitting standing opponents with them outside of d4s. For example, Quan Chi when poking a crouching character with d3 was +10, but only +3 if they were standing.

Also, there are plenty of characters that get double digit plus frames off of pokes in this game. Again, MKX Quan d3 is +14 on hit,, other characters jail into 50/50s on hit from d3s/d1s.