What's new

Discussion MK9/MKX...Which Game Had The Best Version of a Character?

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
With MK9 being fresh in quite a few people's minds as of late, and of course with MKX being here for over a year, I thought I'd open a discussion about which version had the best counterpart of a character.

There's a lot of characters in MKX who were also in MK9, so it would be interesting to see who you guys think is better and why.

Kung Lao 9
Jax X
Sonya 9
Kenshi (lol) 9
Kitana 9
Scorpion X
Sub Zero X
Mileena X
Kano (lol) X
Johnny Cage 9
Liu Kang X
Ermac X
Reptile X
Raiden X
Quan Chi X
Cyrax (lol) 9
Smoke 9
Sektor 9
Cyber Sub Zero X

Last edited:

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Smoke.

Not just because he had his guarenteed reset which obviously was a perfectly above average effectiveness tool for a bar. But because he could play Runaway Smokebomb.

His Smokebomb was a lot faster on startup (the way it should be). He had the best anti-air normal in the game. There was no stamina so he could use his Smoke away and towards as much as he liked without having to wait. EX Smoke Away was also reaaaally far. Smoke also had his projectile parry and a straight up telepunch.

You couldn't zone Smoke, you had to make your way in to him and when you did he had meter for breaker or EX Phase to start running away again to the other side of the screen.

MKX Smoke is just 50/50's, gaps and stupid hitbox issues. MK9 was way better imo.

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I will simply put a "9" if I perceive the Mortal Kombat 9 version to be superior and an "X" if I perceive the Mortal Kombat X version to be superior.

Cyber Sub Zero - X
Cyrax - 9
Ermac - X
Jax - X
Johnny Cage - X
Kano - X
Kenshi - 9
Kitana - 9
Kung Lao - 9
Liu Kang - X
Mileena - X
Quan Chi - X
Raiden - even
Reptile - even
Scorpion - X
Sektor - even
Smoke - 9
Sonya - X
Sub Zero - X

To add as a bonus, the major gameplay elements...

Anti-aerial Options - 9
Defense - 9
Footsies - X
Offense - X
Zoning - 9

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I will simply put a "9" if I perceive the Mortal Kombat 9 version to be superior and an "X" if I perceive the Mortal Kombat X version to be superior.

Cyber Sub Zero - X
Cyrax - 9
Ermac - X
Jax - X
Johnny Cage - X
Kano - X
Kenshi - 9
Kitana - 9
Kung Lao - 9
Liu Kang - X
Mileena - X
Quan Chi - X
Raiden - even
Reptile - even
Scorpion - X
Sektor - even
Smoke - 9
Sonya - X
Sub Zero - X

To add as a bonus, the major gameplay elements...

Anti-aerial Options - 9
Defense - 9
Footsies - X
Offense - X
Zoning - 9
You think MKX has better Footsies?

It has more diverse Footsies over MK9s rather same space for all, I think the neutral be a lot more evident if 50/50 where less of a factor and some runs got normalised plus you should not be able to cancel your run to jump IMO it creates an extra unneeded guessing game.

Slymind

Noob
In terms of presentation, everyone in MKX is way better imo, with Raiden and Kano being the top examples, they are way cooler than in MK9.

If it's about tiers, this would be a another discussion, since both games are very different overall.

leoj89

Noob
Mkx has the best mileena. I mean the character look and variations are completely next level.

Mk9 had the best quan chi. Good god I miss Quans mk9 move set.

I feel like sub zero is equal but different respectfully.

Mileena,sub, and Quan were my mains in mk9. Mileena's my main in X with the closest thing to a secondary being gm sub . Keep in mind my opinion is based on move set and design.

Honorable mention to who ever designed goro in mkx. That's the best version of that character since the original mk movie.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
You think MKX has better Footsies?
For starters, the best normal attack in Mortal Kombat 9 was arguably Johnny Cage's f+3, but f+3 is even better in Mortal Kombat X. While slightly slower (f+3 has 9 frames of start up in Mortal Kombat if I recall correctly), f+3 in Mortal Kombat X has slightly more range, is +15 on block when run canceled, and can also be whiff canceled.

I also believe the following normal attacks are superior to almost anything in Mortal Kombat 9.

Alien - f+1 - 12F mid with very good range. b+3 - half screen low attack with no hurt box.
Kotal Kahn - b+1 - 9F mid poke with very good range that leads to tick throws. -2 on block.
Mileena - b+1,2 - long range poke. No hurt box.
Quan Chi - b+2 - long range overhead that leads to vortex with one bar.
Shinnok - 7F low attack that leads to +14 on block with one bar.
Tremor - f+1,2,1 - 7F advancing high string. +2 on block.

Nothing like Alien's b+3 and Mileena's b+1,2 exists in Mortal Kombat 9. I guess the closest thing would be Kitana's f+2,1 (16F and -1 on block if I recall correctly).

Lowkey preferred mk9 jax over mkx.

For starters, the best normal attack in Mortal Kombat 9 was arguably Johnny Cage's f+3, but f+3 is even better in Mortal Kombat X. While slightly slower (f+3 has 9 frames of start up in Mortal Kombat if I recall correctly), f+3 in Mortal Kombat X has slightly more range, is +15 on block when run canceled, and can also be whiff canceled.

I also believe the following normal attacks are superior to almost anything in Mortal Kombat 9.

Alien - f+1 - 12F mid with very good range. b+3 - half screen low attack with no hurt box.
Kotal Kahn - b+1 - 9F mid poke with very good range that leads to tick throws. -2 on block.

Nothing like Alien's b+3 and Mileena's b+1,2 exists in Mortal Kombat 9. I guess the closest thing would be Kitana's f+2,1 (16F and -1 on block if I recall correctly).
Okay, so MKX has better attacks for controlling space/approaching, but what about spacing? Movement and moves is part of the mind game behind footsies.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Generally, MKX has the better frame rate than MK9, which meaning the smooth playing there as if there were real fighters playing in there. However, MK9 is better due of some special skills not available in MKX.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Okay, so MKX has better attacks for controlling space/approaching, but what about spacing? Movement and moves is part of the mind game behind footsies.
Forward movement is better in Mortal Kombat X. Backward movement may actually be better in Mortal Kombat 9 as the game does not punish you for backdashing.

Generally, anything related to offense is better in X while anything related to defense is better in 9, which is pitiful because we are talking about a game with horrendously delayed blocking mechanics, unsafe low pokes, and glitches that drain your meter for trying to escape.

coolwhip

Noob

Ah, so you're talking about moves that are to be footsie tools, rather than how the footsie game operates in general.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
Smoke 9>X
Cyrax 9>X
Cage 9=X
Sonya 9=X
Sektor 9=X
Mileena X>9
Kitana ?
Kano X>9
Subzero X>9
Scorpion X>9
Ermac ?
Reptile 9=X
Quan X>9
Kenshi 9>X
Lao X>8
Liu X>9
Jax ?
CSZ 9=X
Raiden X>9

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Cyber Sub Zero=X
Cyrax=9
Ermac=X
Jax=X
Johnny Cage=9 (Random frame advantage anyone? Meter drain?)
Kano=X
Kenshi=9 (Sure, Kabal was stupid, but this character destroyed most of the cast.)
Kitana=9
Kung Lao=9
Liu Kang=X (Not by much...)
Mileena=X
Quan Chi=X
Raiden=X
Reptile=9 (The most misunderstood character community, ever.)
Scorpion=X
Sektor=9 (At least the mids didn't whiff unlike X...)
Smoke=9 (Reactable 15 frame overhead my ass...plus guaranteed resets!)
Sonya=9 (Biggest load of underachievers before Flash players.)
Sub Zero=X