What's new

Discussion MK9/MKX...Which Game Had The Best Version of a Character?

coolwhip

Noob
Actually, low pokes that hit crouching opponents were usually more + than hitting standing opponents with them outside of d4s. For example, Quan Chi when poking a crouching character with d3 was +10, but only +3 if they were standing.

But it was the other way around for d4's. Maybe not for Quan, but for most characters. You got more frame advantage off a d4 against a standing opponent.

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
I prefer to talk about the current versione of MKX.

Kung Lao - XL (more balanced with tools across variations and not in a single character)
Jax - XL (he's stronger)
Sonya - 9 (insane character in that game, extremely good and with a more interesting stance gameplay)
Kenshi - XL (MK9 Kenshi is too much and the actual Kenshi is a more interesting character even he's bad)
Kitana - 9 (boring but stronger then in MKXL, still boring)
Scorpion - XL (much stronger)
Sub-Zero - XL (faster and with a more aggressive approach)
Mileena - XL (I mean... lel)
Kano - XL (nothing to say)
Johnny Cage - XL (more interesting gameplay, strong but require a brain and training unlike MK9 Cage)
Liu Kang - XL (see Cage XL)
Ermac - XL (insane and more interesting in XL, only mediocre in 9)
Reptile - XL (best version of Reptile ever)
Raiden - XL (the actual Raiden is a very well rounded character and by far, more interesting then MK9 Raiden)
Quan Chi - XL (nothing to say)
Sektor - XL (he's simply better for me)
Cyrax - 9 (poor Cyrax)
Smoke - 9 (love MKXL Smoke but the MK9 Smoke is the best looking character in MK9 and his tools are more viable in that game)
Cyber Sub-Zero - XL (no matter how bad or good is, Cyber Sub in MKXL is a more interesting character then before)

jackempty0

Born on a Monday
Since this is a variation game, wouldn't this kinda thing make more sense to compare "variationless" characters to the mk9 roster? Obviously triborg is specific to each character but every variation is unique and a seperate character entirely almost.
Just take the best variation

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Actually, low pokes that hit crouching opponents were usually more + than hitting standing opponents with them outside of d4s. For example, Quan Chi when poking a crouching character with d3 was +10, but only +3 if they were standing.

Also, there are plenty of characters that get double digit plus frames off of pokes in this game. Again, MKX Quan d3 is +14 on hit,, other characters jail into 50/50s on hit from d3s/d1s.
That was the problem with it though, it was very rare you'd catch someone in a crouching state with a poke out of pressure. Honestly if the bulk of the community went back to MK9 now I'm sure there'd be a bunch of things we'd assess/use differently.

And I assume Atk was referring to how advantageous some stuff is on block in MKX. I'm aware that most pokes in the game have enough advantage on hit to guarantee at least one follow up.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
If KP3 happens and Sindel/Jade get added, it would take serious effort to make their mk9 versions better.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Kung Lao 9
Jax X
Sonya 9
Kenshi 9
Kitana 9
Scorpion X
Sub Zero X
Mileena X
Kano X
Johnny Cage 9
Liu Kang X
Ermac X
Reptile 9
Raiden 9
Quan Chi X
Cyrax 9
Smoke 9
Sektor 9
Cyber Sub Zero X

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Kitana 9=X: I think it's a tie. Finally she can wakeup in MKX.
Just because she can wake up now doesn't mean she's just as good as she was in MK9 lol

On paper, you would think MKX Kitana was much better than her MK9 version but in actual gameplay, it's not even a contest on who's better

There is no denying Ermac in MKX is infinitely better than he was in MK9.

The only two advantages Ermac had in 9 was the ground pound was unblockable and Tele Push was harder for some characters to punish.

DarkSlayerSmith

Fundamentals in real life
Bird lao 9
F3 ``fear the knee´´ johnny cage 9
Cyrax=9
Ermac=X
Jax=X
Kano=X
Kenshi=9
Kitana=9
Mileena=X
Quan Chi=X
Raiden=X
Reptile=9
Scorpion=X
Sektor=9
Smoke=9
Sonya=9 (D4 long as Beyonce´s legs...)
Sub Zero=X

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
There is no denying Ermac in MKX is infinitely better than he was in MK9.

The only two advantages Ermac had in 9 was the ground pound was unblockable and Tele Push was harder for some characters to punish.
Food for thought, did you know that the unblockable ground pound he had in MK9 was -13 on HIT?! :eek:

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Just because she can wake up now doesn't mean she's just as good as she was in MK9 lol

On paper, you would think MKX Kitana was much better than her MK9 version but in actual gameplay, it's not even a contest on who's better
Probably I was bad with MK9 Kitana :confused: I can't even handle Sonya matchup. Fuck d4 MS, ex cartwhell

Doctor Rektangle

Think outside the Box
MKX = Mileena, Jade, Kano, Quan, Scorpion

Good in Both: Cage, Sonya, Lao, Jax

MK9 = Kenshi, Raiden, Sub Zero, Kitana

Funny How Kitana was better than 9, but jade better in X... wonder how that happened.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Probably I was bad with MK9 Kitana :confused: I can't even handle Sonya matchup. Fuck d4 MS, ex cartwhell
Once you got the life lead, you had to keep that ho out lol. She had to fear f21 just as much as we had to fear d4. Couldn't really do anything about ex cartwheel tho.