What's new

MK4 Arcade Emulation

McCarron

Noob
Post whoring here, compiled and uploaded.

http://patrickmccarron.com/temp/mame/mingw.zip

Unzip these to your MAME folder, and update me. I'm compiling a Mac version right now as well, since I can't get Windows and MAME to cooperate with my Mac keyboard.

This version also notes that The Grid works, but I don't have the newest romset with the v1.1 roms. So I can't test that either.

McCarron

Noob
dreemernj said:
Can't wait to get home and try it.

And The Grid? Holy shit.
It should in theory work a bit more than before, BUT I don't have the right roms. I have v1.0 not v1.1. It was a recent change in MAME, so I have to hunt them down.

dreemernj

Ambassador
It won't run at all on my desktop. I have an Athlon 64 3200+. Is the new EXE based on the i686 optimized bin?

I'll try u4 on my laptop in a little while :-D

This is all such amazing news.

Wow good news. I will have to try this out. I doubt my pc will handle it though. I have been getting the urge to build a new pc and this may push me over the edge.

Now if they could just get the Wavenet roms and see what can be done with that. Having noob and all the tweaks would be nice, of course minus the wavenet play =\.

McCarron

Noob
MOE30W said:
Wow good news. I will have to try this out. I doubt my pc will handle it though. I have been getting the urge to build a new pc and this may push me over the edge.

Now if they could just get the Wavenet roms and see what can be done with that. Having noob and all the tweaks would be nice, of course minus the wavenet play =\.
#1 - It doesn't run above 50% yet on top of the line hardware. So don't expect it to be playable for a while, if ever, on your current hardware. Go buy MK4 PC off or eBay for $10 instead.

#2 - If those ROMs leak I'd be amazed. I believe no Wavenet cabinets made it out of Midway, the ones at the arcades were taken back by Midway after a certain amount of time. There would be a chance if Midway maybe had to liquidate assets at the Chicago office if were to ever be shut down/moved(again.) Then it'd be a possibility they'd be sold via auction.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Wavenet would be amazing. Are there any MAME games already emulated that used a hardware layout like it had? I believe it had the arcade hardware same as regular UMK3 modified slightly to allow it to connect to a 386 based SBC that had it's own BIOS/ROM and it handled tranlating input back and forth between the arcade board and the network.

McCarron

Noob
dreemernj said:
Wavenet would be amazing. Are there any MAME games already emulated that used a hardware layout like it had? I believe it had the arcade hardware same as regular UMK3 modified slightly to allow it to connect to a 386 based SBC that had it's own BIOS/ROM and it handled tranlating input back and forth between the arcade board and the network.
Hmm that's possible, since I never got to peak inside one of those cabinets I can't tell ya. Maybe Lex knows more.

I can tell you it was a high speed network drop, I've heard ISDN and T-1 based back in the day. It was clearly an Ethernet jack that the machine hooked into though, that leads me to think a T-1. I wonder if the local arcade still has the new wall jack they installed for it.

You may not have to emulate so much that extra PC, but instead find the data it's transmitting and trap it and learn how to use it.

dreemernj

Ambassador
hmm, looks like I won't be testing out MK4 with the new version. I thought before it was because I was on an AMD processor but I get the same result on the Pentium M laptop as on the desktop. Guess it wasn't meant to be.

It's not like any of my computers would really be able to play it anyway :lol:

ZAQ

Noob
How is the progress coming along on this?
Looks like we're going to need it after MK vs DC gets horribly boring.