What's new

MK12 Speculation

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I wonder if those rumors about it being a MK11 Trilogy style game with everyone from 9-11 coming back were ever true.
It always felt like a weird stop gap then a true Sequel, and then it just never came out.

So was it ever real? Did they change direction at some point?

Its been 4 years, if it's just more MK11, I'm gonna be very sad.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
More realms. Chaosrealm and Orderrealm are great options for interesting conflict, characters, and influence on the story. There's absolutely no way they were sitting around twiddling their thumbs for the entirety of MK9-11's storyline, especially considering the comics.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Honestly, I hope the trend continues where the new MK game is a lot different from the previous one. Aside from that, I’m going to guess that MK12 is going to be even MORE accessible to new players and appeal to casuals even more than they already do. Which I don’t think is inherently a bad thing as long as they can balance that out well with the more dedicated players and the competitive side of the game. Meaning, a game that’s super easy to get into and get the basics & fundamentals down, but has a lot of depth and it’s hard to master.

I personally think fighting games in general are going to move further and further away from being super execution heavy and super memorization heavy. Which again, if done right, it could actually be a good thing for the competitive players.

But aside from that, there’s no telling what they’re planning on doing. This will be the first time we went from a new MK game to another new MK game without an Injustice game in between. That may not be at all relevant, but it also could be super relevant, who knows? ¯\(ツ)

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I would like the following:

Kitana (fan juggles pls) / Mileena / Tanya / Ashrah / Sindel Li Mei in and Triborg (I liked that concept).

No catch up mechanics (No fatal blows / X Ray etc). I would rather them focus on super meters for breakers and improved special moves. This would reward skill and meter management rather than boring cheap mechanics.

No variations and no new characters. I think there are so many past characters that are untapped and I don't think they need to expand the universe. I would rather they use the slots they would use for new characters to bring back older ones.

No more crappy guests (I know this is not going to happen) OR be able to disable them in PVE if you wish - I find they ruin my immersion in the MK world.

Be able to disable fatalities online - once you see them a couple of times, they are boring and long.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Kitana (fan juggles pls)
Oh my god this. Please this. Give them back. I get the sentiment of "always been this way" being kind of an entitled argument from the playerbase from the perspective of developers, but holy shit gimme my fan combos back please. Kitana has always had some of my favorite combo expression and hit confirm potential as a character due to fan combos.

Not to mention doing the absolute slap in the face bait and switch of her MK11 reveal trailer showcasing them to the day 1 patch removing them entirely. Still miffed.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Oh my god this. Please this. Give them back. I get the sentiment of "always been this way" being kind of an entitled argument from the playerbase from the perspective of developers, but holy shit gimme my fan combos back please. Kitana has always had some of my favorite combo expression and hit confirm potential as a character due to fan combos.

Not to mention doing the absolute slap in the face bait and switch of her MK11 reveal trailer showcasing them to the day 1 patch removing them entirely. Still miffed.
Can't wait to see which character Kitana takes moves from this game. lol

This will be the first time we went from a new MK game to another new MK game without an Injustice game in between. That may not be at all relevant, but it also could be super relevant, who knows? ¯\(ツ)
This is going to be interesting. You always see some remnants or ideas of the older game in the next one. Variations (MKX) + customisation (I2) = MK11. Outros etc were I2 style. As much as it's going to be interesting to see where the gameplay goes, i'm very intrigued to see how the overall look of the game will be. UE4/5? hyper-realistic? (i hope not). The big break in between games reads to me that they've done a huge overhaul on the backend (+ all the issues re: mergers etc.), so taking some extra time to polish things up if they're working on a platform that they're not as used to.

Be able to disable fatalities online
Would be great... but just a pipe dream. I like the idea of brutalities becoming the new standard finisher someone mentioned earlier. So long as they don't turn them into something that drags out and is OTT.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
This is going to be interesting. You always see some remnants or ideas of the older game in the next one. Variations (MKX) + customisation (I2) = MK11. Outros etc were I2 style. As much as it's going to be interesting to see where the gameplay goes, i'm very intrigued to see how the overall look of the game will be. UE4/5? hyper-realistic? (i hope not). The big break in between games reads to me that they've done a huge overhaul on the backend (+ all the issues re: mergers etc.), so taking some extra time to polish things up if they're working on a platform that they're not as used to.

Would be great... but just a pipe dream. I like the idea of brutalities becoming the new standard finisher someone mentioned earlier. So long as they don't turn them into something that drags out and is OTT.
I like the optimism people have about the 4 year life cycle, but I don't think it's because they are overhauling anything. I think it's more to do with all the restructuring going on at WB. They probably started and stopped on 2 other projects between MK11 and MK12 due to all of the changes in the company.

I could be completely wrong (and I hope I am), but I wouldn't be surprised if MK12 will turn out to have had one of the shorter dev cycles of NRS games.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
I'm curious about the setting for this one.

My first silly theory was that Liu and Kitana were able to modify the timeline in order to sidestep the traditional MK1 crisis point, but ended up just moving an inevitable crisis into the near future, so we have an MK1 situation with a cyberpunk-style setting. That gives us opportunity for some new characters, Kombat (grand) Kids, and the the same familiar Outworld, Netherrealm, and Edenian folks.

Or it could be that timeline alterations made for a weaker Shao Kahn/Outworld so the realms that were merged (Vaeternus, Osh-Tekk, etc.) are still independent, resulting in a huge realm war. So we'll get more fantastical settings and some of the 3d-era cast but reimagined.

As far as mechanics go, who knows. I assume it'll still be 2d, they'll probably try something new with the meter but will stick with an autofill of some sort, and breakaway will be different, but probably not the 9/X breaker. I actually really like the Krushing Blow and hope we get a new iteration of it. Fatal Blow will also likely be changed to some other requirement.

Jet3000

Let’s go crazy!
For lore: Im hoping for mk12 to move on from special forces and move forward with other realms. I want to see edenia, chaos and order realm.

For gameplay: Really hope that variations and breakaways are gone, Breakers make a return, 2v2 tag matches, remove auto fill meters and tie Supers to meter, not health

Last edited:

MCPeePants

Bout it
I want Havik to have an intro where he rips his face off as he walks towards the opponent.

And I want a fatality where he crushes the opponent's knees with his morningstar, and as they fall to their knees, he tears off the lower part of their face and places it in his lower face skull, forming an eerie and grotesque full face.

No variations. Fuck them.

Havik, Baraka, Noob and a Cyborg in the roster are a must for me.

A Konquest Deception-esque Story Mode. Onaga as the big bad.

Gameplay which will appeal to normies as well as pros to guarantee the game's longevity.
Too bad no Havik in the new one.

I think it's more to do with all the restructuring going on at WB.
And COVID working restrictions. People seem to forget/downplay the impact that had on business and workflow.

I'm curious about the setting for this one.
We'll see of course, but I figure it's going to be something new and not something we'll predict. If they do go a predictable story route, I'd love to see it based off of Shang's victory in "Aftermath" as opposed to Liu's.

Art Lean

Noob
I would like the following:

No more crappy guests (I know this is not going to happen) OR be able to disable them in PVE if you wish - I find they ruin my immersion in the MK world.
Totally agree on that point, I absolutely despise them.

I would like to see the quasi-futuristic stuff go away personally (Jaqui gadgets, outfits/armor that look like PS5 concept art, etc). And less guns. For the love of god, less guns.
Absolutely, especially when the films kept making the visual statement with Sub Zero that guns will not save you in this universe. Not to mention for years everyone laughed at Stryker in MK3 as being that pathetic character with no super powers who had to bring guns with him... now suddenly it's the norm for all the SF characters?

More aggressive tuning of the cast. I get that not everyone loves MK9/X and the powerlevel of the moves in those games, but 11 felt like a step WAY too far in that major portions of the cast felt pretty bland/similar, and iconic moves aren't even worth using because safer/boring stuff is better. I miss shit like mk9 where almost everyone had some wacky bullshit (even if it didn't actually work, at least there was intent). I also hate this "well you spend meter to make your special move combo". This is the game that gave us spear and iceball, why do i have to spend meter to combo now?

IF we're going to have combo breakers, can we please do what guilty gear and a ton of other games figured out decades ago and have ways to call out the combo break and punish it? We sorta kinda maybe eventually got that in 11, but I just don't get why they insist on allowing more counter play here.

Less fucking dead time. Please please please if we're going to have 10 second cinematic supers don't make them happen in damn near every match. I'd LOVE to see a game finally go back to old style supers with minimal flash/cinematics, but i doubt MK will do that. Although in the off chance they do I wouldn't mind taking MK2's vibe/feel and seeing what they could do with that mindset as a starting place.

It'd be nice if we could get an mk9 quality story again. X was eh and 11 was just a mess. There's a lot of potential in the lore and they just phone it in and give us pretty standard junk.

I hope they're coming to the same conclusion SFVI finally reached (and mk kinda already touched on and then got away from) in that having one meter that does A LOT, but also comes with a cost when over used, is often a lot more interesting than separate meters for everything.