What's new

MK11: Which Characters do you think won't return?

I can't see F/T making it, as much as I love em. Kotal is in 100%, can't wait to see what they do with his variations next game. Moon God sounds so sick.

Mileena is 100% a DLC character
I highly doubt Mileena will be in the game at all, except for seeing her rotting corpse in storymode somewhere.

We also haven't considered the possibility that MK11 occurs between the events of MK9 and MKX. There was like a 20 year time gap between them. Hard to believe nothing noteworthy occurred in that time.

Plot has utilized timelines as well; could end up being an X-Men Days of Future Past type of deal.

This would mean almost nobody from the cast is eliminated as a possibility.
You meant to say that the events will occur between or around MKD and MKA.

It'll be a shame is Sonya is permanently replaced by Cassie. She's the first lady of the franchise, she really should be staple. Its like taking Chun Li out of SF. And yes I know she wasnt in SF1 and the original SF3, but both those games were terrible and nobody cared. She saved SF3 once she was added to 3rd Strike and Capcom wont be caught dead leaving her out of any future games.
Sonya got so old that she needed a drone to do some of her bidding, especially in her fatalities.

Anyone who thinks Mileena won't be back has lost their mind lol. She is one of the franchise's most iconic characters. NRS likes their storylines but they don't give a shit when it comes to roster -- peep non-canon Liu/Lao/Kitana in MKX, non-canon Joker in IJ2, etc. Plus Mileena died in MK2 and came back for UMK3, she has done it before and will do it again. Her arcade ending in MKX even showed they've come up with a logical way to do it.

Jax and Kenshi will almost certainly also be back despite the new generation stuff because they love those characters. It is not much deeper than that.

To answer the question, I think the revenants they used as NPCs this time out are probably characters they're finished with -- so Stryker, Kabal, human Smoke, and yes, sadly, my queen. Not saying I agree with it, just saying they seem to have no further interest in these characters. That said, fans were pretty loud about everyone but Stryker, so they might change course. Similarly I think Baraka is donezo.

Of the non-kombat kid newcomers I think Erron Black, Kotal and D'vorah will likely return and Ferra/Torr will probably not. I don't think you have D'vorah kill off two iconic characters in your story mode and then drop her.

Sonya and Johnny are hard to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if they came back. If only one of them sits out it will be Sonya.

Kung Lao will be back even if he's fully decomposed. Tournament shit matters to these guys and the pros would riot.
Mileena didn't die in MK2. If you're referring to an ending, that wasn't cannon.

They may be done with human Smoke, but it's time for us to get him in his true form.

Jax needs more bionics.

MKX characters I'm most confident won't return:
Every DLC character (Alien, Bo Rai Cho, Goro, Jason, Leatherface, Predator, Tanya, Tremor, Triborg)
Ferra Torr
Shinnok
Quan Chi

I'd love to be proven wrong about Tanya (very fun character to play!), but somehow it seems unlikely.

Mileena, on the other hand, has a pretty strong chance IMO. As well as popularity, it's been well known since MK9 that more than one Mileena exists in this canon. It would be incredibly easy for another Mileena to simply take her place and happen to have the same personality; the fact that one Mileena died means nothing in the long-run.

MKX characters I'm most confident won't return:
Every DLC character (Alien, Bo Rai Cho, Goro, Jason, Leatherface, Predator, Tanya, Tremor, Triborg)
Ferra Torr
Shinnok
Quan Chi

I'd love to be proven wrong about Tanya (very fun character to play!), but somehow it seems unlikely.

Mileena, on the other hand, has a pretty strong chance IMO. As well as popularity, it's been well known since MK9 that more than one Mileena exists in this canon. It would be incredibly easy for another Mileena to simply take her place and happen to have the same personality; the fact that one Mileena died means nothing in the long-run.
Popularity doesn't mean much in MK. The real Mileena died and her ending is there just because and they won't go through with it.

Israel

Noob
I'm still skeptical about reptile. This was the 2nd game in a row, where he didn't play any major role. They kinda just stick him as a henchman / front-liner for the main bad guy. This time around, they may not have anywhere to put him.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
You meant to say that the events will occur between or around MKD and MKA.
Well, those are on completely different timelines, though.

What I really meant to say is that it could either be between the events of MK9 and MKX, or it could involve time travel between post MKX and any other era. So nothing can be ruled out.

Time travel is a thing that has happened before in the series, so there is no reason to rule out it happening again in some form or fashion. This would also allow NRS to kill off whoever they want without having to commit to that being the end of the character.

We don't need the whole Cage family to be in MK11 again. Johnny and Cassie would be just fine, so let Sonya sit out.
Jax, as for him, he died in MK9, was a revenant in MKX story for awhile then was restored. He then dies in 3 MKX endings. Can't say for sure that he'll return or not. Plus him and Jacqui aren't anything alike.
Kenshi and Takeda aren't anything alike as Scorpion trained him. Maybe Kenshi will teach Takeda the way of Telekinesis and then Kenshi could sit out.
One doesn't have to be popular for a return as to Ferra/Torr.
If Sonya gets out, so does Jhonny. I don't understand your logic xD

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Same can be said for Erron Black.
I mispoke. Not only did I not care for the character, but most other people didn't, either.

Erron Black was specifically placed in a smaller role in order to build a sense of intrigue and mystery, to be explored in later installments. Ferra/Torr was about as developed as he can possibly get.

Also, according to their ending, Torr is dead and Ferra is now a Torr, so it would be Ferra/xxxx if the character was to return. Which he won't.

P.S.
Bring back Shao Khan as a playable character. Would really like to see what a fully developed non-boss moveset looks like on him.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
If we get a roster thats based on lore, MK11 will be having a roster that might be even worse than MKX's. I feel like any game wont be as beloved as MK9 will be in the future. Unless, they reboot the the franchise again and we get the classic MK1-3 characters in one game again lul.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
If we get a roster thats based on lore, MK11 will be having a roster that might be even worse than MKX's. I feel like any game wont be as beloved as MK9 will be in the future. Unless, they reboot the the franchise again and we get the classic MK1-3 characters in one game again lul.
Yeah, Boon has pretty much stated that MK9 was fan service and they are unlikely to do it again.

Even so, there's a certain core that must remain intact. The roster should always be at least 70% MK 1-3 characters.

Also, the lore is whatever the hell they want it to be. There are probably about half a dozen avenues by which dead characters can return that have already been established in the past, and NRS has never been hesitant when it comes to creating new ones.

IMO, the lore should always be constructed out of the roster, and not the other way around. Hopefully NRS is smart enough to understand this.