What's new

MK11: Which Characters do you think won't return?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
If both Cage and Kenshi sit out of the main roster, I'm skipping mk11.

Takeda has absolutely nothing in common with Kenshi in terms of gameplay design, being his son shouldn't be a reason to replace him.

Cassie and Johnny, that's another story.
The thing about Kenshi is that they could easily throw in another zoner though. I’m not saying I want him gone, I think Kenshi is a very cool character and other than Quan, he’s the only 3D character that isn’t trash. That being said though I will be playing Sub anyways and not having Kenshi as a bad MU for a 3rd game in a row wouldn’t exactly make me sad.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I don't think any of the parents will be back (Sonya, Cage, Jax, Kenshi)

Also for the people saying Kenshi and Takeda don't have similar powers in X, that is true but if you paid attention to the MKX story Takeda was starting keyword being starting to harness his telekinetic abilities near the later tail end of the story. There's a reason for that.

The Kombat kids are coming into their own. Just like how Cassie cannot channel green energy in X but in her battle with Shinnok she is able to like Cage. I would not be surprised if she turns in the guns for some green orbs or maybe her own take on his green energy projections.

Not sure on Goro, but they may be trying to include a Shokan on the regular now perhaps since they've done one for 9 and one for 10. Who knows really, but it would be nice if they took it upon themselves to engender that Goro versus the Kung family rivalry that existed since before the first MK game, even if it's through a newer relative of Goro? Who knows.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
I really want more monstery weird characters in the game. Like the cast of MKX felt varied-ish, but aside from Goro and Ferra-Torr there weren't a lot of like weirdly shaped characters. I want Motaro back, even like Drahmin or something would be cool too.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Ohohoho....

Seriously though, Jaqui and Takeda are terrible characters, and Cassie is far from Johnny.

Jax in particular has a very high degree of depth and nuance as a character, and any attempt to replace him would be stupid, especially when you consider the difficulty NRS seems to have when it comes to writing deep heroes. Their villains/neutrals are generally on point and very well done, but their heroes always come off generic and corny.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Seriously though, Jaqui and Takeda are terrible characters, and Cassie is far from Johnny.

Jax in particular has a very high degree of depth and nuance as a character, and any attempt to replace him would be stupid, especially when you consider the difficulty NRS seems to have when it comes to writing deep heroes. Their villains/neutrals are generally on point and very well done, but their heroes always come off generic and corny.
He feels much more interesting in MKX, but I always hated Johnny. Cassie on the other hand, I think may be my all time favorite character out of all characters out of all things. I bought the game just to play her, and would lose 60% of my interest in playing MK11 without her in it.

I don't fully understand it. I don't like guns, military stuff, or cocky people, but roll them up together and I guess I'm sold.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator

Well between me and you sir, the only Kombat kids I want back is Cassie Cage and Kung Jin (with a more Kung Lao homage play style and the signature hat).

Cage is dope, but Cassie being far from him is crazy. They're both wonderful.

I'm never an active defender of Jacqui or Takeda, but it's not like Jax is so much deeper than the rest of the roster and even if he happened to be, he has had way more games to get depth than Jacqui so it's pretty unfair. Jacqui just needs her own gimmick because she's too much like Cassie but I'm sure they'll amend that in 11.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Well between me and you sir, the only Kombat kids I want back is Cassie Cage and Kung Jin (with a more Kung Lao homage play style and the signature hat).

I'm never an active defender of Jacqui or Takeda, but it's not like Jax is so much deeper than the rest of the roster and even if he happened to be, he has had way more games to get depth than Jacqui so it's pretty unfair. Jacqui just needs her own gimmick because she's too much like Cassie but I'm sure they'll amend that in 11.
I probably should have clarified that I thought Cassie had some originality to her. I like her character and wouldn't mind seeing her return. She's still not a replacement for Johnny, though. Her strongest possible role would be as an addition to his circle, as she was in MKX.

Jin was probably alright. His homosexuality leaving him ostracized from the Shaolin which was his birthright, and eventually leading him towards a life as a thief was a nice touch, I have to say. Objectively good story telling/character biography.

Jaqui and Takeda are the very definitions of bland and nondescript. Meh to the core.

In addition to always having awesome dialogue and super-strength, Jax is probably the most intelligent human in Earthrealm. Not only was he the top general of the Special Forces, he is also the guy who invented all the robotics and cybernetics that other characters use. He designed the technology for Kano's eye. All of Takeda's high tech shit is stuff Jax built in his garage in his free time. Jax designed his own cybernetic arms when he had no arms. Don't tell me that you don't find this character interesting.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged

I REALLY hope they don't replace the original charismatic characters with the new ones, since although some of the new additions were decent or even good (like Cassie), none of them surpassed the classic ones in terms of charisma in my opinion. Johnny > Cassie, Jax >> Jacqui, Kenshi >> Takeda (these two have nothing in common outside of story mode)...

And why can't we have all? Look at Tekken, they have Heihachi, Kazuya, Jin, same family and their styles and looks are relatively similar.

We will see. Nrs, please don't fuck it up. Innovation is cool, taking away the classics is not.

Last edited:

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Anyone who thinks Mileena won't be back has lost their mind lol. She is one of the franchise's most iconic characters. NRS likes their storylines but they don't give a shit when it comes to roster -- peep non-canon Liu/Lao/Kitana in MKX, non-canon Joker in IJ2, etc. Plus Mileena died in MK2 and came back for UMK3, she has done it before and will do it again. Her arcade ending in MKX even showed they've come up with a logical way to do it.

Jax and Kenshi will almost certainly also be back despite the new generation stuff because they love those characters. It is not much deeper than that.

To answer the question, I think the revenants they used as NPCs this time out are probably characters they're finished with -- so Stryker, Kabal, human Smoke, and yes, sadly, my queen. Not saying I agree with it, just saying they seem to have no further interest in these characters. That said, fans were pretty loud about everyone but Stryker, so they might change course. Similarly I think Baraka is donezo.

Of the non-kombat kid newcomers I think Erron Black, Kotal and D'vorah will likely return and Ferra/Torr will probably not. I don't think you have D'vorah kill off two iconic characters in your story mode and then drop her.

Sonya and Johnny are hard to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if they came back. If only one of them sits out it will be Sonya.

Kung Lao will be back even if he's fully decomposed. Tournament shit matters to these guys and the pros would riot.

xiskza

Underworld
It'll be a shame is Sonya is permanently replaced by Cassie. She's the first lady of the franchise, she really should be staple. Its like taking Chun Li out of SF. And yes I know she wasnt in SF1 and the original SF3, but both those games were terrible and nobody cared. She saved SF3 once she was added to 3rd Strike and Capcom wont be caught dead leaving her out of any future games.

Last edited:

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
We also haven't considered the possibility that MK11 occurs between the events of MK9 and MKX. There was like a 20 year time gap between them. Hard to believe nothing noteworthy occurred in that time.

Plot has utilized timelines as well; could end up being an X-Men Days of Future Past type of deal.

This would mean almost nobody from the cast is eliminated as a possibility.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
Kinda hard to say I feel like in terms of the story at this point, anyone is possible, but I really don’t think Skarlet will make it despite the demand

Your list is mostly accurate, though Erron will return. Goro too I believe, But as the host for the dragon king so kinda sort lol

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might

Nariman

Noob
Kenshi has high chance of coming back, since his Red Dragon Story has not finished yet.

D'Vorah is definately not coming back. she did her job in the story and there is zero piont in her returning.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Kenshi has high chance of coming back, since his Red Dragon Story has not finished yet.

D'Vorah is definately not coming back. she did her job in the story and there is zero piont in her returning.
D’Vorah is definitely coming back.

She’s by far the most interesting of the newer characters and had a legit story in MKX.

Plus she needs to be in MK11 just so she can get treated for her betrayal

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
I can't see F/T making it, as much as I love em. Kotal is in 100%, can't wait to see what they do with his variations next game. Moon God sounds so sick.

Mileena is 100% a DLC character

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I might be in the minority but I liked most of MKX’s 8 new characters.

Didn’t like Jacqui because she’s boring, didn’t like Ferra/Torr because I don’t like grapplers.

Kotal Kahn is awesome, Cassie Cage is awesome, Erron Black is awesome

Takeda and Kung Jin are okay but kinda bland, Kung Jin especially

D’Vorah is pretty cool but fuck her

I really think the 3D era characters outside of Quan and Kenshi are dogshit so I really don’t care if they are bumped off because of new characters, I just hope Johnny, Lao, and Jax aren’t simply replaced by the kids, don’t care a whole awful lot about Sonya, I like Kenshi but he’s sure to rape Sub so he can sit one out lol

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
I REALLY hope they don't replace the original charismatic characters with the new ones, since although some of the new additions were decent or even good (like Cassie), none of them surpassed the classic ones in terms of charisma in my opinion. Johnny > Cassie, Jax >> Jacqui, Kenshi >> Takeda (these two have nothing in common outside of story mode)...

And why can't we have all? Look at Tekken, they have Heihachi, Kazuya, Jin, same family and their styles and looks are relatively similar.

We will see. Nrs, please don't fuck it up. Innovation is cool, taking away the classics is not.
I don't think Tekken's a good comparison in this situation. Heihachi, Kazuya, and Jin are literally the three main characters of the franchise, removing but one of them is just unthinkable; Johnny, Kenshi, etc. aren't really as sacred in MK as the Mishimas are in Tekken.
And to answer your question.. We can't have them all because we already did, in MKX. I just don't think they'd do it again so soon.

I hope the 4 new kids are only used to brutally die in the story mode, worst fucking characters ever

WHY THE FUCK DID CASSIE DEFEAT SHINNOK AT THE END.