What's new

MK11: Which Characters do you think won't return?

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
I'm inclined to agree. I think the core cast should always be present, however, that core should be relatively small. Fan favorites should always appear since fighting games are, at this point, very heavily reliant on fanservice.

That being said, I feel like WB (and maybe NRS) treat the 3D-era characters/games like the Star Wars prequels, and try to pretend they mostly don't exist since they have a really bad reputation. It makes me sad because there's a lot of good in those games, and lots of fun and original characters that have fans and deserve another chance in the spotlight. In the end, there needs to be a balance between staples, a rotation of less popular characters being reimagined, and some new guys to make the game feel fresh. Hopefully NRS doesn't take any extreme measures.
I mean, Raiden literally went back in time and erased those events in MK9. That said, Quan Chi, Kenshi, Tanya, Shinnok, Bo Rai Cho and to an extent Fujin and Frost have all been a thing, so I don't believe they are disregarding the 3D era entirely.

MKX occurred at the point MK4 would have in the old timeline. It wouldn't surprise me if MK11 reintroduces members from the cast of the game that served as MK5 (can't keep track of which title it was). I didn't play the 3D era games, but while many of the characters were considered strong, there were also a lot that were absurdly terrible and weak. It appears that NRS is doing a pretty good job of reintroducing the stronger characters while eliminating the weaker ones.

Just, ffs, do not begin to replace the main cast.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I hope there's more new characters than returning characters, even if they take tools from a previous character (Mournful Kitana example).

Even if they mix up the original characters' tools a lot I'd be alright I guess but... I kinda want some shakeup in the roster.

But I'll buy the game anyway probably so yea

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Keyword was "example".

Couldn't give less of a shit about Kitana, let alone any of her variations.
Thing is, Jade is my favourite MK character of all time, and seeing her special moves just be given to Kitana and call it a new Variation made my stomach turn. One of the reasons I'm not a fan of the Variation system either. I'm a fan of the characters, not just their "functions".

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Thing is, Jade is my favourite MK character of all time, and seeing her special moves just be given to Kitana and call it a new Variation made my stomach turn. One of the reasons I'm not a fan of the Variation system either. I'm a fan of the characters, not just their "functions".
Yeah, the variation system will not return. It was terrible for game balance.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
I could see it return, but with just 2 variations for each character. Kinda like what they did with the fighting styles in the 3D era.
If it did return, there would only be two variations, I agree.

Still, I think it would result in too much clutter to properly balance. You would be essentially doubling the amount of characters and potential MU's in the game, instead of tripleing them this time.

With how well they balanced Injustice 2, I think they will continue to stick with having only one version of a specific character, with maybe one or two exceptions like Ninja Turtles in I2. Being able to choose between Human and Robot Smoke variations would be a pretty cool idea, off the top of my head.

Reactions: Zev

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Still, I think it would result in too much clutter to properly balance. You would be essentially doubling the amount of characters and potential MU's in the game, instead of tripleing them this time.
That's true.
I recently saw someone talking about having something like the V-Trigger from Street Fighter V instead of Variations, and then have 2 to choose from to mix up the gameplay a bit... but again, it would most likely be too much alike the V-Triggers, or Injustice's superhero traits, or even Killer Instinct's Instinct mode...

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
How does it not count lol. It was a game, was it not? Unchained was basically DLC for Deception. It was same the same exact game, just with some added characters.

Even if you don’t count that, you can’t deny the fact he’s been in EVERY SINGLE GAME.

And even if you don’t count that, HES THE BLACK GUY! lol
Think you are forgetting about a character introduced in Deception (which is where Mk11 possibly will be story wise) Though i hope they both are in it

I just want a new game NRS has never not delivered.

I'm looking forward to the following the most:

1. Shao Kahn
2. Shang Tsung
3. Havik
4. Taven (My sons name)
5. Skarlet
6. Jade (my daughter Katana's middle name)
7. Noob
8. Tremor
9. Nitara
10. Bo Rai Cho