What's new

Discussion MK11: What Do We Want?

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Since the mk11 talk has already begun I might as well cave in. I'd like to discuss the direction of MK11 we hope the game might take and I'm curious what people might think about it. I'm gonna talk about a few things I'd like to see. Gameplay changes/consistencies and shit.

A: I don't want the variation system back. It was such a mess. I think if you give all characters 2 variations worth of tools that'd be good. I feel like that might hopefully increase the chance of being able to be a loyalist. As MKX was, I thought variations made counterpicking even worse than it is in Inj2 right now.

B: Defensive options need to be buffed. Block breakers need to be a bar, backdashes need to not be limited. I'm ok with keeping run, but if run exists the stages need to be slightly bigger.

C: I'd like them to stick with what they went with for the final MKX patch where armored launchers require two bars. I'd also like there to be invincible wakeup attacks.

D: Keep percentile damage. The inj2 damage system is stupid.

E: Just as a rule, I'd like NRS to stop making big damage safe/hard to punish 50/50 mix characters. Either they get big damage and get punished hard if they get blocked or they get little reward and the mix is safe.

Basically I personally want to see the game maintain a more balanced offense/defense balance. MKX was so subject to snowballing because of how balls to the wall the offense was in that game.

What's everyone elses thoughts?

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Agree with this. I hate looking at the life bar numbers and not knowing hot much damage my combo is gonna have on this specific character. I always knew exactly how much damage my combos are but now it's all so weird.

If you wanna have different health values for characters I'm all for that, but do it like other games where the health value is the only variable, not strength and defense as well.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
Agree with this. I hate looking at the life bar numbers and not knowing hot much damage my combo is gonna have on this specific character. I always knew exactly how much damage my combos are but now it's all so weird.

If you wanna have different health values for characters I'm all for that, but do it like other games where the health value is the only variable, not strength and defense as well.
I prefer the percentage thing because then I can use someone else other than Superman as my test dummy. Or how you see all those "highest damage combo" videos on Youtube and they all use Darkseid as the dummy so the numbers are significantly skewed, where 600 is actually more like 40% damage.

More traditional dashing/backdashing instead of MKX sprinting and losing stamina for a backdash.

Krypt instead of loot boxes.

Alternate costumes instead of gear. They lack the same unique look classic costumes and off the wall costumes have, and the gear is often so similar that only the first few legendaries feel exciting. I've still not completed a whole set for my main character in Injustice after spending 9,000,000 credits.

Go crazy with the story mode and timeline. We're obviously not going to play as grandma Sonya or wheelchair Liu Kang, and I don't just want to see some baddie open a portal and change the timeline. It's because their attempt to convey some coming of age humanistically truthful narrative in MKX couldn't have made me roll my eyes any harder. Go nuts.

Most importantly, support the game for longer. Like, a year longer at least.

I'm too scrubby to really comment on anything other than single player stuff. I agree with you on the armoured launchers and invincible wakeups though.

C: I'd like them to stick with what they went with for the final MKX patch where armored launchers require two bars. I'd also like there to be invincible wakeup attacks.
This, this and this!!! That's what I hated about pre-patch MKX. It was bs getting armoured and launched into a combo, and most of those armored launchers were safe on block.

I want my main back as guest character.
Been waiting for his comeback like forever since the release of I2, never made his comeback in any of the seasons.
Well now NRS, MK11 is his chance lol.

Alex95

Noob
The most important thing is for the game to have more interesting characters with personality and offline modes that help you connect with the characters like story mode of course and an extra mode like konquest older mk games had or challenge tower that mk9 had.I don't think mkx had anything like that other than the story mode.The kombat system comes second and will never be perfect.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I wouldn't mind if the gear system came back. I enjoyed having different looking load outs and I find going back to costumes in MKX and DBFZ kind of boring compared to IJ2. Even if only for cosmetic purposes really, although I understand it'd be a lot harder to implement in MKX.

Make the stance switch to be a more legit mechanic. give it full body invincibility. Keep the same startup, allow it to do swaggy brutalities like in MKX. Also, give more character specific buffs like The Sorcerer Quan chi case... and a proper tutorial of that button. In MKX it was semi legit lol.

To make it the most broken button ever is the goal of NRS. C'mon... The button has a lot of history. LOL.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
A: I don't want the variation system back. It was such a mess. I think if you give all characters 2 variations worth of tools that'd be good. I feel like that might hopefully increase the chance of being able to be a loyalist. As MKX was, I thought variations made counterpicking even worse than it is in Inj2 right now.
Agreed. I like to think of MKX as a test of how many different movesets they could come up with and never again.

B: Defensive options need to be buffed. Block breakers need to be a bar, backdashes need to not be limited. I'm ok with keeping run, but if run exists the stages need to be slightly bigger.
This. I don't really like run, personally, but the rest is all a big yeah.

I'm on the fence about the invincibles. I'd prefer normals to be honest and specials to matter only so much as their actual purpose so that we do not need invincible moves and even armor should be character specific and balanced for the remainder of the moveset.
This ties in with seeing hitboxes and hurtboxes that many of us have been requesting for practice mode. No more super active 6f fullscreen safe advancing launchers. Let mobility be the lack of a stamina meter instead and let the game in its entirety be fair.

HP is a good balancing factor though so there is something there to consider.

E: Just as a rule, I'd like NRS to stop making big damage safe/hard to punish 50/50 mix characters. Either they get big damage and get punished hard if they get blocked or they get little reward and the mix is safe.
A hard-to-blockable is just the apologist name of a semi-unblockable. I hate guessing games. I want the game to have no soapbar shit, but instead have solid mechanics. I really dislike the way injustice delivers escapes and preferred breakers. Two bars only to get combo'd allover again is not just unfair, it's stupid. Either that, or limit the damage output of characters.

Basically I personally want to see the game maintain a more balanced offense/defense balance. MKX was so subject to snowballing because of how balls to the wall the offense was in that game.
Agreed. Let's have a fair game where low risk high reward isn't the ticket to victory anymore.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
1 - Reliable anti-airs that lead to full combo (MK9's Jax standing 1, for example)

2 - Get rid of the run and increase walk speed (both forward and back)

3 - Babalities

4 - Kotal Kahn

5 - Reiko

6 - Shao Kahn

I think I'd be good with that.

Gamer68

Fujin!
  1. Better in-game animations.
  2. Remove stamina and running.
  3. Way less advancing mids.
  4. No more being able to grab people who are in the air + no more Enhanced Grabs.
  5. No safe 50/50s.
  6. Better push-blocking and combo-breaking.
  7. Maybe another option to use meter on instead of the standard Enhance/Breaker/X-Ray.
  8. More defensive characters to balance out all of the offensive ones.
  9. Better anti-airs.
  10. Keep interactables focused mostly on defensive moves or movement options, like in MKX.
  11. Characters can have different health, but no Defense/Strength/whatever stats.
  12. A ranked mode that gives you actual rankings. Bronze/Silver/Gold/Diamond/Grandmaster, etc.
  13. The return of Guilds from INJ2, but improved. Maybe they can combine the Guild and Faction (MKX) systems?
  14. The return of the Brutality system that was in MKX, but improved.
  15. More fun finishers like Babalities, Animalities, Friendships, etc.
  16. Better modes other than the randomly generated "challenges" we've been getting. Maybe the return of Chess Kombat (with online) and Tag Team?
  17. Characters that felt "missing" in MKX: Noob, Jade, Sindel, Fujin, Sareena, Kabal, Rain, Reiko, etc.
  18. Lastly, keep the Krypt and other unlockables. If there are loot boxes, keep them fair and non-pay-to-win (just cosmetic or something).
I feel like these are the things that you are going to see the most in this thread. Plus the occasional "Bring Kenshi (or whatever character) back!"

I honestly can't really think of anything else...

UGL Preon

The Casual God
1.) Bring back my bright and exuberant colors. No more dark grittiness. I like it when the game had pop (MK9). Can still polish the realism and have pop.

2.) The removal of strings that can hit on multiple hit levels "Low/Overhead" in the same string that are special cancelable while the character has a special move that hits Overhead/Low.

3.) The Return of Tag Mode. Brutalities (As they we're in MKX) and some Brutalities that are (Secret) like MK3. Return of Babalities. Bring back some of the MK Charisma. I like my edgy content but don't lose your charm over it!

4.) If the Variation system comes back limit it to two per character. Make them more fleshed out and in depth. In MKX it felt like MOST characters either had 1 Variation that was great and 1 that was OK and one that was unviable trash boat. While very few had 2 great!

5.) All Mids are mids. No matter if its breathing hitbox, female, etc.

6.) Gib me Sareena, Rain, & Reiko. Maybe Li Mei because it'd be her first time getting a fleshed out moveset too.

I hope stamina bar stays. Thought it was unique and allowed oppressive offense while also limiting it. I still miss it and I've played nothing but inj2. Really hope it stays

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Customizable characters.. not for how the system was handled in Injustice 2 but rather for the potential it has. I really think customization could be so much better than skins could ever hope to be with just a few tweaks.
Gameplay wise I just want defensive/offensive options to be equally as good and the roster to be well balanced, similiarly to Inj2. Keep stage interactions exactly the same as MKX.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
1.Less distance on advancing normals
2. Less active frames on jump normals specially if they start at 6 to 9 frames
3. More startup on jump normals with priority hitboxes(weapons which can't trade)
4. Get rid of the Run and Stamina system, still don't understand why i had to be penalized for forcing my opponent to use breakers, replace it with dash.
5.More colorful game and give us back purple skies
6. A revamped training mode engine which calculates and display framedata on its own within the hud like SFV now does or DOA5 does instead of having to update the entire game manually every single time a patch comes out, don't forget to show hitboxes.
7. A more colorful game like MK9 and Injustice 2, maybe a mix of art direction of MK9 and MKX
8. A Tag mode away from the main game
9. A customize mode which we can dress our characters
10. Brutalities like MKX and everyone gets the classic brutality like MK Trilogy
11. better backdashes and walkspeeds
12. The Return of Puzzle Kombat with Online support and 1 vs 1 support
13. Thow breaking system don't need to be a guess, hated how we had to guess which side to throw and press the accordingly button, it was annoying.
14. Characters can have different health but damage dealt keep it percentile, no strength defense whatsoever.
15. New mechanic, perfect guard ( if the player guards anything on the first 3 avaliable frame of their guard, they take no chip, no damage, opponent doesn't build meter, they recover 1f earlier while giving a bit of meter)
16. Music from the stages needs a presence, it has been more than 5 years and i still don't like the movie like soundtrack NRS puts in their games, honestly golden era of MK music is MK3D era and the first 4 classics, post armaggedon rip MK music.
17. Uppercut stage transition, keep it simple and non damn ultra cinematic like Injustice is
18. I know this is selfish but i need my girl skarlet.

Last edited:

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
1) Maximum 2 variations. Most characters had one variation which you could see that the developers were desperate for ideas for a third variation - think Mournful/Duelist/Posessed etc. I'm not saying there were not fun, but they had little to do with the character as we know them

2) Kitana, Tanya (good luck :( ), Ashrah, Mileena, Li Mei

3) No run mechanic

4) Good stories and chapters for all new characters. Ferra Torr and Erron seemed like interesting characters but were never explored

5) No guest characters

6) Friendships :p

7) Bring back chess kombat! (sooo fun)

1.Less distance on advancing normals
2. Less active frames on jump normals specially if they start at 6 to 9 frames
3. More startup on jump normals with priority hitboxes(weapons which can't trade)
4. Get rid of the Run and Stamina system, still don't understand why i had to be penalized for forcing my opponent to use breakers, replace it with dash.
5.More colorful game and give us back purple skies
6. A revamped training mode engine which calculates and display framedata on its own within the hud like SFV now does or DOA5 does instead of having to update the entire game manually every single time a patch comes out, don't forget to show hitboxes.
7. A more colorful game like MK9 and Injustice 2, maybe a mix of art direction of MK9 and MKX
8. A Tag mode away from the main game
9. A customize mode which we can dress our characters
10. Brutalities like MKX and everyone gets the classic brutality like MK Trilogy
11. better backdashes and walkspeeds
12. The Return of Puzzle Kombat with Online support and 1 vs 1 support
13. Thow breaking system don't need to be a guess, hated how we had to guess which side to throw and press the accordingly button, it was annoying.
14. Characters can have different health but damage dealt keep it percentile, no strength defense whatsoever.
15. New mechanic, perfect guard ( if the player guards anything on the first avaliable frame of their guard, they take no chip, no damage, opponent doesn't build meter, they recover 1f earlier while giving a bit of meter)
16. Music from the stages needs a presence, it has been more than 5 years and i still don't like the movie like soundtrack NRS puts in their games, honestly golden era of MK music is MK3D era and the first 4 classics, post armaggedon rip MK music.
17. Uppercut stage transition, keep it simple and non damn ultra cinematic like Injustice is
18. I know this is selfish but i need my girl skarlet.
Perfect guard is a cool idea! One frame though, that sounds more like a luck factor. Increase the frame opportunity and then it becomes a skill needed to win. That's tough

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Perfect guard is a cool idea! One frame though, that sounds more like a luck factor. Increase the frame opportunity and then it becomes a skill needed to win. That's tough
the beneficts are too good so it should be harder, coming out of block animation 1f earlier is a big deal, allows normals to punish things only reversals can, its like lierally increasing 1f on opponent's minus move and if they're plus you reduced that by one.

The greatest skills in fighting game aren't easy.