What's new

Discussion MK11: What Do We Want?

already good points mentioned in this thread!
all i need is this:

-d2 as universal aa (lol). d2 should beat any jump attack no matter what, including crossups. ALL CHARS SHOULD HAVE THE SAME D2! like d2 is a 7 frame move for the whole cast.

-more recovery on whiffed specials - air and ground.

-no more guess to tech grabs (lol) just press grab too in a 3 - 4 frames window to tech. grabs should deal slight more dmg

-no more 5050, less guessing overall, reactable overhead starters.
footsies and frametraps are the way to open people up in good games not guessing.
mk9 sonya was a toptier char without any low or oh combo starter. she opened people with footsies mainly.
imagine she would have 5050 on top on that lol, then u have mkx that fucking stupid game lol.

Muito suggestions from more dire to less needed ones:

DIRE (changes that needs to happen ASAP)

- Improve animations (nrs games are great, but this is a huge problem that can be adressed. NRS listens to the community imo, that's why they've gone so far. I believe in the developers and the PR.)
- Keep variations in the game. I dont care If Its 2 or 3, keep them PLEASE. But allow them to complement the characters, dont create one that has ALL the tools and makes the other ones useless/unviable. For example: Char X is a rushdown one, so make variations that rush the opponent down in different and creative ways.
- d2 as a universal AA.
- Either have Run or characters with good walkspeed, NEVER, EVER, both. And make It UNIVERSAL (Either everyone has these tools or no one).
- Overrall defensive game stronger (last comments gave good ideas. I Ioved the perfect block for example).
- Jump-ins hitbox shorter (do not allow Cassie's and Kothal's j1 happen again. Cassie is my main, but this is a bit too Far).

Personal Preferences (I'm open minded on those cause im not sure If they'll be as efficient as im thinking)

- 50/50 can exist as long as the scalling comes like a Hammer. I Iike how dbfz does It, but can be improved (for example, in dbfz lights scale the combo. In mk lows, htbs, overhead will scale significally).
- Stores instead of lootboxes. In FG I want to know what I'm buying.
- Skins but no gear. Keep It Injustice exclusive.

I'll update this list as I keep thinking about It.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
A) Filter out the RQers and the Wi-Fi users. I'm sick of seeing them use the connection as an excuse to quit mid-match. Or even do something about them, and especially the RQers. I'm more sick of their shitty behaviour and whiney excuses, so I want YOU, NRS, yes, YOU, to implement the Block list, so that we may NOT play with them ever again in the ranked games. Stop ignoring us who strive to get better.

B) Keep the run mechanism. Almost all games (including Tekken and DBFZ) do have this. I'm used to this than the dashes. The RC was the best mechanism to fool every opponent and punish them in 50/50 game (honourable mention, Raiden).

C) If the variations are gone, include all the known powers for each character, like Sub Zero having all of his Ice powers into one character.

D) The return of some fighters, like Fujin.

E) I don't care about the cosmetics, but I want a similar recolour, like in DBFZ and GGXrd.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Not sure about changes to frame data and stuff in seeing mentioned here. Doesn't make sense when we have absolutely no idea how the game itself will function..

I'd like to see a much more balanced set of play options, so raw rush and mix isn't the only way to get the job done. On that note, I am all for powerful mix options off low risk offense - it empowers a character and makes them feel extremely fun and satisfying to play. HOWEVER, it needs to be tied to a resource system of some kind in such a way that you have to earn the right to bring that powerful piece of offense to bare (bear?), Limiting it's use to once or twice in a match. No Quan Chi blender bullshit.

More grappler and command grab centric characters and mechanics (personal taste thing)

Variation system should return. If it was possible to have three viable and useful variations that would be great, but I'd rather it be limited to a pair of variations per character but I'd like to see those variations be drastically different from one another. Or alternatively, you have a single character, and bring in a version of Inj2's skill loadouts, but expanded. A) everyone has all skills right away. B) you choose between one and three, this could be per-character and used as a balancing factor and other method of differentiating characters.. some have a smaller natural move pool and more room to tailor to suit, some have larger base pools with less room to cover gaps or whatever. THIS IS ASSUMING BALANCE. Imo we can't use lack of balance as an excuse to veto a system when we have no idea how the balance would turn out, I assume all suggestions I read are based on the system recommended being balanced and of course all my own suggestions are based in it as well.

A set life span.. this is a weird one, but NRS games do tend to die kinda quickly.. and part of it comes from the knowledge that another one is probably right around the corner. I think it would be a nice.nod to the community to say "this is the new game and we plan to support this game for at least X". This is one of FEW things SFV did correctly right from the start. They announced the game's approximate support run. There's no reason this can't be extended either. I've heard from a few people that they didnt play Inj2 because they were worried that a year after it launched NRS would have moved on and the community would begin to dwindle. I think this would be helpful for sponsors and pro players as well, of course there are downsides to this and I think it probably only works with a 2 1/2 - 3+ yr developer life cycle. Shorter and it likely would have the opposite effect.

Brutalities and special finishes, effects and interactions. Brutalities are absolutely one of the best things to happen to fighting games EVER imo. From a player and spectator standpoint. They are HYPE as hell. Obviously too many and you risk over-saturation, but a bunch just the same..some easy some super rare. Effects and interactions would be character specific stuff like dialogue and maybe some special animation changes to certain moves or whatever in matches. As well as the environment playing a larger visual roll.. I'm super tired of FG stages being a wall paper we fight in front of. Inj2 had some cool effects with BGBs doing damage to the stuff, the interactables, etc, but I'd like to see this really doubled down on. bG damage as the fights go on, stage transitions brought to Mkx (handled differently though), lots of stuff. Interactables ala Inj2 are a NO. But the way MKx handled then was much better.

I'd love to see the visual gear system brought over, but heavily expanded on. Far more variety in gear, and give me purchasable costumes too. I like having LOTS of room for visual expression. More colors, more options. I really liked Inj2's shaders.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Truth of the matter is if Cassie is in, I'm in.

That aside, I do want the variation system back. I think 2 would give us most of the benefits without having to balance as much.

I loved having options to both connect with a character and a way they could be played. I didn't play a single variation that I was supposed to, and I'm not one bit sorry for it.

I did not like some of what gear did to divide the player base into two camps. I didn't feel like I belonged in either. I don't want something that recreates that.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I'd prefer if gear was cosmetic only. It really did divide the player base pretty significantly. But I know a lot of people enjoyed having different specials and whatnot so maybe it's not a be-all end-all answer.

Given how different MKX ended up being from MK9, I think it's a reasonably safe assumption that MK11 will be significantly different from both of them. And with that in mind, I don't have too much of a wish list for what I want from it - NRS will likely produce a great game regardless.

That said, it would be fantastic if they made it so that characters had more strings each (20+ per character), and a customisation system closely modelled after I2's gear system would be lovely.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
1. No Run. This mechanic destroyed the spacing/footsies aspect of what made MK9 so good.

2. No Interactables/Corner escapes. Keep that an Injustice thing.

3. Friendships. Bring back the humor to MK. Keep the no block on final round like MK9 babies.

4. Hara Kiris. Time to bring these back.

5. More colorful presentation.

6. No Stamina meter. Nothing worse than trying to backdash and hearing that fucking buzzer.

7. Flipping Jumps. I HATED the characters in MKX that had the Injustice style non flipping jumps. Just doesn't feel MK-ish.

8. Better Roster. More new characters and old fan faves. We don't need half the cast being special forces.

9. Toned down 50/50's.

10. Improved defense and risk/reward.

11. New Announcer.

12. Uppercut Stage Transitions ala UMK3.

13. Music more prominent. MKX's music was good but didn't really stand out like classic tracks do. Dan Forden + Mick Gordon collab?

14. Kombat Kodes.

15. No Variations.

16. Cosmetic customization like Injustice 2.

Pressure, jumpins, etc. Not saying there should be NO 50/50's. But have one option highly punishable or not launch for a combo. Basically take away the coin flip aspect of them with no risk.
Cant help but think we have to know whether or now stamina bar is in to determine the right amount of mix

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I think building from MKXL is a strong idea, since the game was clearly very popular and, towards the end, had cleaned itself up quite a bit. I had a few qualms with how it played, but I think it would only be a few tweaks from being a little more complete.

-Run is still in, but it is just a forward-foward input. There is NO forward dash - only run. There's still a stamina bar that depletes while running. Running has a small bit of recovery before it can be canceled into block, but can be immediately cancelled with jumps or normal attacks. The idea would be that running forward will still be used as offensive maneuver, but it's not entirely safe to just get in with if the defender reads it.

-Backdashing doesn't cost stamina, but it's now only invulnerable when used with reversal timing. The idea would be that it could still get out of gaps in strings and be used as an escape on knockdown, but not when done raw, as a means of avoiding degeneracy

-Designated specials can be made invulnerable as you are getting up, just like Injustice 2. Delayed getup disables the wakeup timing necessary for the specials to become invincible and has two timings using the stance switch button, also like Injustice 2

-New mechanic meant to stop degenerate use of really low hitting d4/d3, and machine gunning d1's that is very similar to Tekken's Low Parry. Hitting down/forward without holding block will "parry" attacks that are flagged as crouching or lows. Upon a successful parry, the attacker is put in a combo state that is prone to heavy scaling and limited gravity. The idea would be that you wouldn't get an incredibly damaging combo, but now have a high risk/high reward option to stop people that are constantly trying to low profile, abusing really strong d1 frames, or try to d2 you out of your throw/high attempts. On the more geeky side, you'd probably have to fudge with it a bit so you can't O/S crouching attacks and low parry

-As far as variations, I would tweak an idea from Persona 4 Arena Ultimax that saw each character have a "Shadow" version that played by different rules. For a new MK, I would imagine you could create some lore reason to have a "Kombatant" and "Revenant" version of each character that look dramatically different as they did in MKX, as well as have different specials, strings, and move properties. The idea would be that depending on your style and some matchup quirks, you could choose the Kombatant or the Revenant. As far as those differences:

• Kombatants are fighters with a keen sense of how to control the battlefield. They have access to Block Breaker, "Weapon Attacks" (Think moves like Cassie d2/B2, Ninjitsu Scorp f2/b4, etc.) and a projectile. This version typically has better options under pressure, better AA/ranged attacks with weapon strings and attacks, and can put something on the screen for other characters to deal with
  • Revenants are those who have given into their own lusts for power by embracing the Netherrealm. They have access to unique armored attacks, "Forbidden Arts" (typically more mixup type strings and specials) and have more health and less damage. This version is a character who may struggle to advance past projectiles and strong neutral, but has more health to soak up damage and far better mixup options up close at the cost of less damage than a Kombatant
-I agree with most everyone about the aesthetic going back more to the 70's Kung Fu style of MK9 and before, although I didn't mind the darker look for MKX.

-I think I2 style loot system but centered around the Krypt as a constantly evolving force much like The Multiverse would be really awesome

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I know it might not happen but give me Talion in MKXI.

Not a popular opinion but he'd work really well in the game. If they choose to do variations or gear, he can do both easily, was published by WB and would have sick fatalities. His aesthetic would also fit better in MK vs IJ imo just due to how it's a darker themed story.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I think they should steal SF5s pushblock meter system

Where every char has 2 bars they get for blocking and maybe it slowly fills over time too.

They can make it more risky as like you have to double press the block button and if the opponent does not press any attack he can easily whiff punish your burst attempt. Maybe make it the ability to use 2 bars to switch sides.

Balance the run better.
Like maybe have no insane speed runs, and remove the ability to cancel into jumps or even block.
Would make anytime running some kind of a commitment. Think of MK9 Jax Ground pound cancel.

I think that alone would buff zoning but I also go and add what I use to want in MKX is that all projectiles drain stamina or even some temporarily disabled the stamina bar and shit.

Hurtbox/Hitbox issues fixed but that's not happening.

Would go to the extreme and say remove cancelling into pokes on block but I'll just say make most pokes like -5 -6 and shit.
Poke > Pokexx special on block Meta just feels wrong.

Oh and yeah I'm going to say it, remove Interactables we did what we could with them but I think they overstayed there welcome. Sick of playing as patient as fuck and finally getting a super slippy mobile char to the corner for them to just armour divekick and be super plus.
Although I'm not against given chars the ability to create their own Interactables like let's say Lao has a special that allows him to use that divekick in the corner

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
Get interactables to fuck.

I dont wana chase kitana for ages with bo for her to get out for free.

Poke specials should either have a big fat gap or be unsafe.

Dash or toned down run system.

No moves like hellsparks.

Tone down jump ins, pokes frame data should make it so they cant come out faster than 10 frames after doin one on block. I.E -3 for for 7frame pokes.

1 bar pushblock

Unsafe or hella fuzziable mixups.

Wolverine32

PSN: ADM_Wolverine
Wow I didn’t know so many people disliked the run mechanic. I thought it was cool.
It was in combination with everything else that made it stupid. Run by itself isn’t a big deal. But it provided mobility to help with so much, combos, closing distance, cancel pressure, and other things. Having the stamina bar was great, so you didn’t have Kabal like block infinites. But backdashing requiring stamina sucked imo. But if they tone down the other bs, I think run is perfectly fine. It’s just one thing people blame for not having footsies lol you can still play footsies run button or not

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
It was in combination with everything else that made it stupid. Run by itself isn’t a big deal. But it provided mobility to help with so much, combos, closing distance, cancel pressure, and other things. Having the stamina bar was great, so you didn’t have Kabal like block infinites. But backdashing requiring stamina sucked imo. But if they tone down the other bs, I think run is perfectly fine. It’s just one thing people blame for not having footsies lol you can still play footsies run button or not
I actually agree, I think run is a fine mechanic and it is featured in many other games without having the complaints that mkxl had, which leads me to believe the problems are systemic and not specific.

Mobility is king, but that plays out in more ways than one I think they were onto something in the initial mkxl patch when they made a majority of the really long ranged overheads and lows, because I think when those were the main neutral tools, it quickly became very degenerative to just use those moves to convert into frame advantage or huge damage, which was no bueno.

gam224

The world's least hype player
No ridiculous mids into plus frames or 50/50s I’m looking at you atrocitus, Superman, entire mix roster.