What's new

Discussion MK11: What Do We Want?

dc1902

Noob
I think there needs to be more defensive options. A lot times I just feel like I'm trapped with no way out. They could implement a just block mechanic witch would reduce block stun by 1 frame or something like that. They also need injustice 2s push block mechanic. mkxl is too rushdown heavy,and if you arent rushingdown you are getting your shit pushed in. There are some people who zone like crazy,but there needs to be a middle ground in terms of how to play the game.

I think they SHOULD keep the stamina bar because people would be abusing backdashes otherwise. Stamina bar makes backdashes more technical.

Last edited:

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Yo those who say Run killed Footsies actually didn't understand Footsies in MKX

The Neutral was totally different!
Coming trying to copy how you played Footsies in MK9 was wrong.
Just because you got comfortable in one game doesn't mean you are the Footsie master.
Yeah there was some dumb runs of course! No denying that...

But in general I bodied fools who attempted it and if you think it had no Footsies I would probably Body you mostly out footsing you.

Why do you think Foxy was such a monster!
That goes for advancing mids too

The problem was the mids with the disjointed hurtbox which cut off or made it super difficult to whiff punish.

I'm fine with either Dash cancel or a RC system.

But that statement really pisses me off and it be my pleasure to prove it

For the record I personally thought MK9 had the best Meta in terms of spacing.
But saying MKX had lack of Footsies is just incorrect

Edit: 2 mins in and I already feel like a dick, not my intention I've just hated that statement when players proved it time and time again that's not the case, I always find it as a defence mechanism as people are often insecure with their Neutral.

There's a better way of wording it but saying "removes" or "kills" Footsies is not the right way

Last edited:

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Push blocking and combo breaker should cost different amounts of meter. Like push blocking during a pressure string should only cost 1 bar while combo breaker should remain 2 bars since we saw so little usage of push block. The other thing is jump normals need to be toned down and keep armored moves the way it was at the end of MKXL. Also 2 variations per character instead

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I thought I saw someone answer this question but I can't find it. Why was the variation system so hated? Was it a balance thing?

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I thought I saw someone answer this question but I can't find it. Why was the variation system so hated? Was it a balance thing?
I think like most arguments around balance it was largely emotional, stemming from wondering why one was so "obviously" bad and one was so obviously good. The reality of competitive play meant that there was probably always going to be a standout variation that was largely played while the others were very specific. You are obviously going to get the people that claim it was "lazy" to spread out moves, but that's just white noise.

Parasurama

Dragon
Gear and shaders for cosmetics only please.

Liu Kang, Shang Tsung and Shao Kahn.

Low profiling combo starters that are safe should never happen in any game (Catwoman).

I liked the stages in MK 9 more for some reason. I did like stage brutalities and fatalities though.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Might as well chime in. Be warned, there is a novel.

Although the patches for Mortal Kombat XL paved the way to a cleaner game, I highly doubt that NetherRealm will build off its formula for MK11. Not because it is a good or bad concept to follow the blueprint for a previous product, but because NRS has the burning desire to make all their games different from one another, which isn't necessarily for the worse. You know the difference between MK9 and MKX is as clear as night and day, and it's no different with the Injustice games.

That said, here's what I'd like to see when it comes to gameplay.

1. I don't want the run mechanic to come back unless there is a consequence for using it to close distance, such as a recovery window when cancelling the run with the block button. As it is right now, it's essentially a "get-in-almost-for-free" card when used correctly. Instead, I'm in favor of giving walking more of a purpose, though not so much that it overshadows dashing entirely.

2. I doubt the variation system will come back, because after a while it started to seem like that moves just got plastered to specific variations just to keep up with the trend of assigning three variants to each character. If it does make a return, it might be interesting to see the number of variants reduced to two, or for each fighter to have different versions of specific moves in their arsenal (think the V-Triggers from SFV: Arcade Edition).

3. I know that this is probably beating a dead horse, but let's face it: anti-air options got worse and worse with each game ever since we left behind Mortal Kombat 9. Why am I seeing moves that take over ten frames to start up, be labeled as "anti-air attacks" in Injustice 2? If you're talking anticipation, then yes, but on reaction? Not really unless they don't opt to use their best aerial option for whatever reason. Anti-airs did improve over the course of MKX's lifespan, and they are better in Injustice 2 than they were in the prequel, but there are still inconsistencies that need to be straightened out.

4. Blockstun on certain blocked specials would feel so misleading when punishing them, especially moves that are between -10 and -15. This needs to be addressed. As an example, when I played Injustice 2, I found myself having difficulty punishing Robin's assassin dash (or whatever that move is called when he runs in and goes to the other side after hitting you). I often felt I was making a gamble trying to punish it and I'd be surprised if other players don't share this sentiment.

5a. This is probably going to be controversial, but fuck it. Can we please stop with the interactables? I didn't mind them so much in MKX because all required stamina to use, none were unblockable (that I recall), and the ones involving corner escapes could be punished on a read, but meterless invincibility (as far as super meter is concerned) was still a part of the equation and I can't say I'm a fan of that. As for Injustice 2...let me point you towards a familiar scenario involving the corner interactable in Atlantis. Do you need me to say any more?

5b. If, for whatever reason, NRS simply can't bear the idea of excluding interactables, then I will not be surprised if the old discussion of banning interactables starts up again. In which case, I suggest taking a page from the book of Injustice 2 by implementing a "tournament mode" that bans interactables from competitive matches. That way, both the competitive and casual players get what they want. This is just my personal outlook, but when I play matches, I'm interested in fighting the opponent, not the environment.

6. Less advancing strings that are safe and/or without gaps, if you please. If any are safe, I hope they leave the offender at negative frames, at least.

7. I didn't welcome the return of invincible wake-ups in Injustice 2 and I won't welcome them in MK11 either, unless they do not start combos and are unsafe, or if backdash is the only invincible wake-up option as long as the timing is on point. I realize that NRS tried to take that direction with Injustice 2, but they probably did not realize that the difference in the meter-burn systems for MK and Injustice would lead to exceptions with this rule (example: Deadshot's BF3). Hopefully they are more vigilant.

8. In MKXL, mix-up heavy characters had their options slowed down a bit to give us a better chance at blocking them (such as Kung Jin's F2 and Cassie's F3). I hope that this trend continues ,and I also hope that mix-up characters cannot make themselves safe on incorrect guesses and are punished hard in return. If a mix-up knocks down rather than launches, I'm fine with it being safe, but not at advantage on block.

9. I like the adjustments that were made to the armored moves in MKXL, and I hope NRS continues to follow this trend for MK11. That is to say, there cannot be any armored moves that double as combo starters and are coupled with plus frames, and if there are any, the player will need to come off more than one bar to have access to such an option. In addition, I hope backdashes see improvement so they can make a useful reversal option.

10. Less hitbox-specific scenarios, please? This tends to happen with female characters, but I confess that Scorpion had this benefit as well, in some instances.

There's more I can add, but I'll stop here for now.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I am willing to adapt or try whatever gameplay wise

What I want is to try and bring back the color. MKX felt so grey and boring. MK can be dark and still have color...it's kind of how every single MK game was before X lol

Idk I just liked how all of the games have had a mystical, mysterious vibe to them and the stages played a big role in that IMO...meanwhile most of MKXs stages were just forgettable levels I couldn't care less about returning. Also, music. Did MKX even have music?

Israel

Noob
For there to be footsies. And i mean real enjoyable footsies. But for this to happen, there has to be the elimination of a few things, such as RUN, the enormous amount of 50/50's and those ridiculous neutral jump, long range, plus on block punches/kicks.

Say what you want, but its more enjoyable fighting your opponent with real zoning..spacing..reads...frame traps... without those things.

Screw guessing 24/7 for defense against combos. Time to go back to playing the game like real Mortal Kombatants.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
I want 2 variations for each character this time.

OG variation (UMK3 inspired)
MK11 version (brand new, maybe some mkx elements)

Obviously tweak each variation so they work in the engine and let the games begin.

SoapBar

My pussy, my rules
1). Shang Tsung

3). Sheeva:D

2). Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Tanyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Icefyre

Shadows
The only thing that could make me stay away from another Mortal Kombat game is another terrible roster. I loved MKX, as I have always loved Mortal Kombat, but the roster for MKX was easily the weakest aspect for me. Some of the new additions were good, but most were pretty terrible and felt uninspired.

I'll be taking that statement back when they come out with a terrible roster, yet have Noob Saibot. That will instantly make me eat my words lol.

As far as character requests go, I'd love to have them include Skarlet again. I honestly thought they did a really good job with her concept and implementation, I'd hate to see her as another forgotten character like some from the 3D era.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
A good roster is most important to me.
If the gameplay sucks, a good roster is even annoying because it reminds you of the lost opportunity.

High hopes for mk11 though, at least I expect they don't repeat the many mistakes they made in mkx.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
I have a feeling MK11 just might be a fully fledget tag game. They have dabbled with it in Mk9, but ultimately it was just a mode for fun rather than a competetive mode. I would also like a better meter system in place. Maybe even have two separate meters, the classic system we had in previous games and one for limiting tags and tag assists. Also, I would like them to revamp the Xray system, make it actually rewarding for using all three bars, like making them scale less in combos.

ChuckDiesey

Gaming since Commodore 64
A dedicated "RUN" button like MK3. In MKX every time I tried to dash up then block, I'd start running. Kinda frustrating.

DelSchokoladenSaft

Can of Corn Main
I would like:
Bo' Rai Cho
Ermac
Kotal Khan
Variations to return, but if limited to 2 variations, I'll be okay with that.
Tag to return.
Nothing to do with gear; however, it could be either skins or costume augmentscan be just cosmetic. Thank you.
And Noob Saibot.
And Frost.