What's new

MK11 Single Player Modes and Grind Discussion (Towers of Time, Augments, and Krypt) - Towers are Fixed.

mook

Noob
That all seems like a massive pain in the ass. Why are those assists unblockable lol, that‘s fucked.

Luckily it seems like something they could fix easily. I‘m okay with a grind but if

1. The act of grinding it isn‘t fun

2. The reward isn‘t proportionally good for the time you‘re putting in

Then it‘s just not worth doing at all. And this seems like at least one of those things.

Yeah, the fact that a lot (or all?) of these are unblockable is BS. Anything unblockable is BS, with exception to guard-break mechanics of course, which these don’t seem to be

Gamer68

Fujin!
Everything I've seen does look like BS, and it's obvious they want you to buy Time Krystals to unlock what you want.

But I did notice that it seemed like you didn't use an Konsumables for the Baraka fight? Also, did you have any Augments applied to your gear? I think they want you to use those things when playing the towers, and from what I've seen it looks like they give you a good bit of Konsumables.

EDIT: Again, I think it's BS. I'm not trying to pretend that it isn't grindy or anything like that. I'm just saying if you aren't using Konsumables and/or Augments when they want you to, then of course you will never beat it.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
But I did notice that it seemed like you didn't use an Konsumables for the Baraka fight? Also, did you have any Augments applied to your gear? I think they want you to use those things when playing the towers, and from what I've seen it looks like they give you a good bit of Konsumables.
I wanted to ask this as well. If you hoard healing items (are there any?) doesn't that make the fight a bit more feasible? It'll still be relentlessly hard and you'll have to spill blood, but it won't be literally impossible.

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo
In the video where I did beat Baraks, I'm using the 3 slot Noob Saibot consumable. That's why sometimes you see 2 noobs on screen. I get the other noob to do a ghost ball, and get a combo from my noob when it hits.

Healing consumables wont help because they're on a long cooldown. Even the 25% 1 slot heal consumable feels like a minute. The 50% heal has a cooldown so long that if you use it at the start of round 1, you may only get it again by the end of round 3. Also when you use one of these healing consumable your character does a canned 1 second long animation. That's enough time for baraka and the arrows to hit you and do more damage than you just healed with the consumables.

No matter what consumable I did use, I would still have had to rely on him using mercy on me. I chose Noob consumable because I have dozens of it, and it's a pretty safe option coz the ghost ball is an unblockable way to set up combos

Queen Sindel

Divine Enlightenment
The fact that people defend this is crazy.i went to that reddit thread and just lol.
For me it seems as form of stockholm syndrome. I am a fan of MK franchise, playing since my childhood. But grind like that is a total disrespect to players and fans, and i am not going to defend it.

Yes, will wait till release and see....

Great disappointment so far with this news....

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo
I finally cleared Noob's 3rd Character Tower. The final boss was really, really easy compared to some of the other fights. I guess they forgot to turn on damage reduction for the player. I think from the point of unlocking to finishing the tier 3 tower took me at least 6 hours. The biggest timesink was farming the blood pints and krushing blow requirements to even proceed. And the Baraka fight itself took more than an hour.

The rewards are shown in the video below. I'm getting an End of Round taunt for every tier of the character tower, and Tier 2 also gave me a Brutality. There's also a tier 4 tower that unlocks for 100,000 Koins + 10 Soul Tokens that also has a Brutality as a reward. I don't know if these are the only avenues to unlock Brutalities. If they are, people are going to be pissed.

Is it just me or are the requirements for these tier 4 towers really...weird? Flawless rounds and Fatal Blows I get. But spears thrown by Noob saibot? Hell ports? Afaik the game calls the Noob teleport Shadow-Port. So are these referring to stage interactables? Or did Noob have another name for his teleport in the beta, and also had a spear, and they left this in?

To be honest, I'm down with the single player portion of the game now. Towers of Time stopped being fun for me about 6 hours ago, and I was only doing this for research and awareness. We're at a point where there are some posters (Not on TYM, but other places) who are calling my gameplay suboptimal, or saying it's not as bad as I am making it seem, or flat out saying that I'm exaggerating stuff.

At the end of the day, I don't really care about unlocking gear or playing Towers. Game comes out in 2 days and I can finally play with my friends who haven't been able to purchase this yet. If they do hotfix the servers and make this easy, I would love to come back to Towers of Time and blow off steam or practice new characters. But this is going to be goodbye to this mode for now. I hope all of you have fun with the game, and have a better time with this mode than I did. I'm still here to answer questions if you guys have any.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
After spending some time with the mentioned modes, I agree with a lot of OP's criticism.

Towers of Time difficulty varies based on the effects you get. Some are relatively easy, some are atrocious. I admittedly haven't looked heavily into augments and the strategy behind them, this might significantly improve the experience. At the same time, I'm really put off by the general notion of having to grind consumables and augments, just in order to beat a random ass modifier. Might be fun for some, but not what I personally look for in a MK game.

The Krypt IS a long grind. The gameplay itsself is fun. You roam freely, there are some puzzles to complete ect, I really like the design and concept. The problem is, as OP described, that there's SO MUCH SHIT I don't care about. What I want out of the Krypt is Fatalities, Brutalities, Skins and Gear. You eventually get them, but there's so many chest that just hold consumables, concept art ect. I'm not saying these things shouldn't be in the game, some people may like them. But it's really annoying to grind through just to get to the good stuff. The problem isn't the time spend in the Krypt, the problem is earning all the coins you need to open the chests.

Edit: I just had a look at the fatality list thread. You can use a fatality you haven't unlocked with the correct input, but doing so does NOT unlock the fatality for further use like it did in MKX. I guess you can just memorize or write down the ones you don't have yet, but if you truly want to unlock the second fatalities for all characters you like, that will take some time.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
So all this many many hours of grinding just to customize the look of your character and to unlock brutalities? I would rather spend 6 hours in the lab and learn something useful.

Sorry if this was already discussed, but I saw some people saying that the most chests from the Krypt contain random loot. Is this confirmed?

NRS said multiple times that there won't be loot boxes in this game, they really just lied to us?

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Sorry if this was already discussed, but I saw some people saying that the most chests from the Krypt contain random loot. Is this confirmed?

NRS said multiple times that there won't be loot boxes in this game, they really just lied to us?
I haven't seen it confirmed yet, but also can't confirm or deconfirm playing on my own. If anyone here would be interested, we could easily do so by opening a few chests together and see if we get the same result. Anyone interested?

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo

When developers say the game doesn't have lootboxes, they generally mean "this game does not have blind boxes that you pay real money for with odds to get gear of different rarities".
But generally, the term lootbox can be used for any chest that rewards random items. So, technically speaking, a chest you open in a dungeon in Diablo is also a lootbox, since it rewards random loot, even though you are not paying money for it.

They Krypt is like that. There are a tons of chests, but they have random rewards in them. You get 1-4 items in a chest, and the items follow a theme. For example, a chest can have a Jax skin, a Jax augment, and a tower consumable that causes Jax to help you in battle. Or it could have 2 pieces of Kung Lao concept art. They don't have mixed rewards like a Kung Lao Hat and Liu Kang nunchucks in the same chest. This is somewhat good because if you open a chest and get stuff for you main, all the stuff in that chest will be for you main.