What's new

MK11 Patch Notes 5/13/21

Health nerfs have always been common ways to deal with balancing, Akuma is a very good example. There is no reason according to lore for Akuma to have the least health out of all the shotos but he is too strong to have the same hp as the others. I dunno why people are using that as an excuse to say NRS is dumb lol. The patch however is pretty lackluster imo and outside of shao kahn getting some love and sheeva stomp finally being punishable on whiff...I don't see that they really did anything at all. At least we got something I guess.

I think they were just gonna walk away from the game but it got so much negative shit being thrown at it on social media after that AT&T debacle with stomp they decided to cut sheeva's nuts off before they stopped updating it. I hope I am wrong and a new announcement comes soon.
I think if it was purely a reaction from the AT&T tourney then Shao Kahn, Joker, Cetrion, Rambo and Robocop wouldn't have been touched at all.

But Sheeva didn't need a health nerf on top of Stomp adjustments. Seems like either a safety measure or an extra reason to stop using her.

or an extra reason to stop using her.
I asked this in another thread and didn't get a response. Why do they not want a character to be used? What purpose does that serve? They spend all that time and effort into creating a character, then do something to ensure people "stop using her"?!

With Sheeva, they nerfed the shit out of stomp, anyone who spammed that shit will get themselves pummelled into oblivion if they try to play the same way. Unless you follow the updates most people wouldn't even know she has 950 health. It's done as a balance tool, not some illuminati conspiracy to stop a character being played.

Shao Kahn was in the crap tier until now, so who was paying off NRS to keep him there and for what reason? On top of that he was DLC, if anything he should have been a powerhouse so people could "pay to win".

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
I think they were just gonna walk away from the game but it got so much negative shit being thrown at it on social media after that AT&T debacle with stomp they decided to cut sheeva's nuts off before they stopped updating it. I hope I am wrong and a new announcement comes soon.
We'll probably never know for sure, but I'd love to know how and when the decision to walk away from the game was made after 1.5 yrs of rhetoric about how it was going to be supported for longer than any of their previous titles. Assuming the last substantial patch ends up being the 11/16 patch we didn't even get close to 2 years and I'm kinda blown away by how quickly that rhetoric changed.

When Ed Boon said that MK11 was going to be supported for a very long time he could just mean that they'll continue to add new skins, gears and brutalities to the game and not do anything else like DLC characters, story expansions and on top of that big balance changes. He would technically still be correct.

I asked this in another thread and didn't get a response. Why do they not want a character to be used? What purpose does that serve? They spend all that time and effort into creating a character, then do something to ensure people "stop using her"?!

With Sheeva, they nerfed the shit out of stomp, anyone who spammed that shit will get themselves pummelled into oblivion if they try to play the same way. Unless you follow the updates most people wouldn't even know she has 950 health. It's done as a balance tool, not some illuminati conspiracy to stop a character being played.

Shao Kahn was in the crap tier until now, so who was paying off NRS to keep him there and for what reason? On top of that he was DLC, if anything he should have been a powerhouse so people could "pay to win".
You know who'll definitely know she has 950 Health? Sheeva players.

Szkarad

( • )( • )ԅ(≖⌣≖ԅ)
Yeah. I was making fun of the health changes as being band-aids but I've played a couple of matches as Robocop today and that health buff he has meant the difference between winning and losing a round a couple of times

Big?

The tweet they put out before the hotfix said "small update"

Dude lol
The joke

(whooosh)

Your head

Really tho, I don't care what they called it in a tweet. While i like the changes lets be honest, after months and months of total silence its a little underwhelming, dude. Specially for a game that was promised support for a loooooooooong time and (imo) is in need of a tier list shake up buff/nerf patch or meta shake up patch or AT LEAST hitbox fixes galore

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
While i like the changes lets be honest, after months and months of total silence its a little underwhelming, dude. Specially for a game that was promised support for a loooooooooong time
What if MK11 is done since ultimate and this patch wasn't even planed or anything.
But with the "community" outcry about Sheeva and everyone puts the most badass Boss Shao Kahn on the lowest tier, maybe they thought lets do a small patch and adjust a little bit, especially Sheeva.
(Damage control - kinda late but oh well, better late than never right?)

Or what if they don't want to interrupt the pro series with any kind of changes, so they don't mess up the "results"? (As this could also create a negative "outcry".)

Maybe they work hard on KP3 but they are just dead silence, and because they take time maybe the release window by characters is only max. 1 month or less, but to get that you need a good preproduction. (6 month isn't that much to create a new "add-on" kind of DLC + an overhaul for the custom moves for example.)

We sadly don't know, I still hope for more support and the end of the pro series + E3 should be the point, where we can see more clear. As they maybe even announce a new title, unspoken death shot to MK11. (Or maybe it's not even the end, what if NRS has grown, and they start to work on 2 titles?
Life support team + new production team.)

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
The joke

(whooosh)

Your head

Really tho, I don't care what they called it in a tweet. While i like the changes lets be honest, after months and months of total silence its a little underwhelming, dude. Specially for a game that was promised support for a loooooooooong time and (imo) is in need of a tier list shake up buff/nerf patch or meta shake up patch or AT LEAST hitbox fixes galore
Didn't say it wasn't underwhelming to get after no update for so long and then this however,

A "tier list shake up" or "buff/nerf patch or meta shake up patch" will not happen in the middle of the Pro tour, Are u insane?!?!
A hitbox adjusting patch be more likely in that time frame

No major changes will come till AT LEAST the gap before the finals and even then that still be a bit unfair so prob be after

Szkarad

( • )( • )ԅ(≖⌣≖ԅ)
Didn't say it wasn't underwhelming to get after no update for so long and then this however,

A "tier list shake up" or "buff/nerf patch or meta shake up patch" will not happen in the middle of the Pro tour, Are u insane?!?!
A hitbox adjusting patch be more likely in that time frame

No major changes will come till AT LEAST the gap before the finals and even then that still be a bit unfair so prob be after
Do you think it will happen though? With how much the community wants some meta change it would be very easy for NRS to tweet "Guys we have cool things planned stay tuned". Instead they remain absolutely silent

DoDaMuSiC

Ermac ftw
So is this the big patch......?

how very mk11 of them.

I like all the changes tho, the “significant” ones at least, all three of them lol
They literally said to expect a SMALL balance patch, why you trying to flex with this?

Most people dont realize they are in the middle of a pro kompetition tour and finals are just around the corner, they will never release a big patch until its finished.
The way i see it is that with this it was their way to say “hey, we still there, expect something soon” instead of just letting the game die.

When Ed Boon said that MK11 was going to be supported for a very long time he could just mean that they'll continue to add new skins, gears and brutalities to the game and not do anything else like DLC characters, story expansions and on top of that big balance changes. He would technically still be correct.
Generally speaking, this is what I'm expecting, but I'd like to be wrong.

You know who'll definitely know she has 950 Health? Sheeva players.
I don't necessarily agree with that decision either given the changes to stomp, but again, it's a balance decision (maybe not the right one), but it's not to stop people from playing the character.

Regardless of that, the reply was about them making changes so "people stop using her", which is completely counter to the whole purpose of making a character.

it would be very easy for NRS to tweet "Guys we have cool things planned stay tuned". Instead they remain absolutely silent
Except that leaves them wide open to criticism if they don't follow through, like the obligatory "it was X months since this tweet and all they did was nerf this move." While staying quiet may not be ideal for those that want constant communication, it also means they can pull things if things fall through.

To me the communication hasn't been much different than previous games. Lot's of KK's before and during releases of DLC, and then nothing after that till the next game. MKX maybe had a little more due to the XL (rollback) update.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
Except that leaves them wide open to criticism if they don't follow through, like the obligatory "it was X months since this tweet and all they did was nerf this move." While staying quiet may not be ideal for those that want constant communication, it also means they can pull things if things fall through.

To me the communication hasn't been much different than previous games. Lot's of KK's before and during releases of DLC, and then nothing after that till the next game. MKX maybe had a little more due to the XL (rollback) update.
Leaving them wide open to criticism if they don't follow through... shouldn't it? I don't think it's cool at all for them to make claims like "this game will be supported for much longer than any of other titles (which typically get about 2 years of "real support")" only to have that support essentially cut off at 18 months. I only bought the last couple of Kombat Packs and Aftermath based on that claim and on the ambitious decision to completely open Kustoms without a balance patch. 6 months later all I can conclude is that this game is done and that I made a bad decision. shrug Won't happen again.

Ashesfall

At this point with all the company selling talk in the background (AT&T, WB Games, NRS, discovery+(?)), I am kinda confident it has to be linked to the very silent communication/support.
NRS looks like to be in a "limbo".

(If someone is destroying my favorite franchise, please tell me the name who is in charge of it :D)

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Shao needed buffs, though I'm not sure a fullscreen launcher into 40% is how you fix a character. :coffee:
I'm pretty sure he has actual issues that could have instead been covered.
Sheeva's stomp is in the state it should have been on release. Now we can finally see if it needs an actual nerf or not. :p
I still think it should be blockable, +8 or so on block and instead of a bullshit move it could actually be a nice viable pressure tool.

idk who or why makes horrible decisions against game balance at NRS but it's not new or surprising.

DC King

Noob
Sheeva's stomp is in the state it should have been on release. Now we can finally see if it needs an actual nerf or not. :p
This is a base move you talking about and it is damn near worthless now. Enhanced dragon drop was the one causing all this drama but yet they nerfed drop into oblivion.

DC King

Noob
Let me guess, you're a Sheeva main :D

Doesn’t matter who I main fact is this character received nerf after nerf while receiving no compensation. I mean it’s not like we was seeing 5-6 sheeva players in top 8. Jacqui can jump around the screen all day while making you scared to press a button cuz it’s always her turn. Easy to use jack-of-all-trades Liu can do it all. Joker laughs cuz he know you can’t punish his gloves. Cetrion throws tornadoes every split second. Fuj can just say f neutral. I find it funny people are happy stomp got nerfed as if they still don’t have to deal with other characters bs. I guess it’s a Shokan thing ‍♂

Ashesfall

Stomp was a totally different "tier" of cheapness. (100% just D,U and you get wins against gamers?!)
A true fun killer, I quitted for this shit, yes cet and jac also gets under my skin but its really not comparable, imo.

DC King

Noob
Stomp was a totally different "tier" of cheapness. (100% just D,U and you get wins against gamers?!)
A true fun killer, I quitted for this shit, yes cet and jac also gets under my skin but its really not comparable, imo.
So you telling me 1 move made you quit sorry but I smell bs

Ashesfall

So you telling me 1 move made you quit sorry but I smell bs
I did play KL till champion and did all tasks, only for unlocks.
I also did it as a statement, kinda like a "strike" as there was no communication if it gets changed or not.

It's also easy for me to "quit" a game, with so many good games on the market.
(The reason I will never be a fighting game "pro" player.)
I just put in all the time I wanted to play a fighting game, into Tekken7.
(A true gameplay masterpiece, imo.)

But it was only the last 2 month, as my "rage" was building up and still no "hotfix" in view.
(I had planned to play next season as Sheeva tho, to increase the outcry but we gladly got the fix now.)

You don't need to believe it tho

(Lets say it's the mix on stomp and tremor, both jump state, both unblockable. Ugly gameplay.)

--- EDIT:
I actually have a small proof, for what I said, see the picture.

Last edited:

DeftMonk

Noob
I did play KL till champion and did all tasks, only for unlocks.
I also did it as a statement, kinda like a "strike" as there was no communication if it gets changed or not.

It's also easy for me to "quit" a game, with so many good games on the market.
(The reason I will never be a fighting game "pro" player.)
I just put in all the time I wanted to play a fighting game, into Tekken7.
(A true gameplay masterpiece, imo.)

But it was only the last 2 month, as my "rage" was building up and still no "hotfix" in view.
(I had planned to play next season as Sheeva tho, to increase the outcry but we gladly got the fix now.)

You don't need to believe it tho

(Lets say it's the mix on stomp and tremor, both jump state, both unblockable. Ugly gameplay.)

--- EDIT:
I actually have a small proof, for what I said, see the picture.
View attachment 18197
U better watch out with that high praise of Tekken...can be considered blasphemous around these parts lol.

This is a base move you talking about and it is damn near worthless now. Enhanced dragon drop was the one causing all this drama but yet they nerfed drop into oblivion.
Disagree about Enhanced Dragon Drop being the one that caused Drama, you could easily troll with Base Stomp.

I don't necessarily agree with that decision either given the changes to stomp, but again, it's a balance decision (maybe not the right one), but it's not to stop people from playing the character.

Regardless of that, the reply was about them making changes so "people stop using her", which is completely counter to the whole purpose of making a character.

Then the health nerf has to be in case the nerfs to stomp didn't help. No other logic behind it.

Last edited: