What's new

MK11 Not Returning as Evo 2020 Mainstage game

Comments

Literally it's the best numbers for a MK game but that's not saying much as it isn't breaking 2,000 and comparing the fact that Tekken 7 has been out since 2015 (2017 for consoles) and got 1,885, those numbers are horrible. Hell, Street Fighter V got close to 2,000 and it's been out since 2016 and you're going to tell me that their (MK11) numbers are going to hold a candle to the aforementioned games?

Sticking to the facts notwithstanding anyone emotional responses, MK11 still struggles to beat a close to 4-year-old game in Street Fighter V in EVO and barely close enough to even stay close to Samurai Shodown thus one can easily conclude that MK11, with all of its stringent promotional ventures, still could not muster enough participation even if it tried to without the promise of DLCs and other means (i.e. patches).

I remember people were walking away at that point in the game's lifespan because it had gone for several months without a huge patch and people were fed up with what they saw in the finals of it's first EVO.
Capcom and Namco have different business models than NRS do.

Street Fighter and Tekken accommodate the worldwide competitive player for four to five years. Mortal Kombat accommodates the casual player first and the competitive player second for no longer than two years. Mortal Kombat sells a lot more copies for this reason while Street Fighter gets released without a story mode.

I am not supporting or criticizing any business model. I am just explaining to you why the numbers are what they are and will continue to be at the most renowned competitive fighting game tournament in the world.

Lol what? You want us to rally with you guys after you've demonized, ostracized, and assaulted everyone that didn't stand for what you believed in for this game and called them deplorable insults and had the nerve to call us "casuals" effectively silencing us and our opinions just so you can get your precious video game at an EVO? I don't know whether I should laugh at this and you or if I should cry tears of salt for all the months I've seen people get attacked for having a difference in opinion regarding this game.

It's mighty fine of you to ask half of your alienated community (mind you the same community who's been calling it as they see it and how this game wouldn't survive till its second EVO and lo and behold, the proofs in the pudding) to come and find a way to support the game with some sort of deranged Kumbaya. It is both funny and ludicrous that you would even ask us to do that.
I have criticized Mortal Kombat 11 extensively on REO's podcast. The audio files are on YouTube. However, somewhere down the line people like you have lost your damn minds to such a large extent that I am constantly forced to defend the game from absurd accusations. For example, Cherny has been complaining about the plethora of wake up options. Fast forward to today, he creates a thread in which he states that there is a lack of wake up options. LOL. There were also people who claimed that Mortal Kombat 11 is "random", unbalanced, Mortal Kombat 9 is a superior fighting game, etc. Crazy assertion after crazy assertion.

You’re kidding, right.

Injustice 1 was far more broken at both EVOs than either MKX or MK11 and was there two years.

You cannot blame the game. But when a community becomes obsessed with tearing everything down instead of building things up, it will have ripple effects.
Even though we love Mortal Kombat, I think I can speak that the majority of us don’t like bad games. We have other communities that are attached to good games that we can support. Having an outlet to express negative opinions is okay. More people disliking and wanting to “tear down” what you like and want to “build up” isn’t a crime.

MK9 was the best MK, mostly due to nostalgia. MKX wasn’t a great game, but it was fun. MK11 isnt fun to A LOT of people.

Newsflash buddy, Mortal Kombat games have never been as good of GAMES as other fighting games. MK9 was the start of them cashing in on being “real games“ and they played their hand and couldn’t help but overproduce and try to “improve” until we were doomed to wind up with more cheesy ass dumb video games that are cool because of the characters and lore.

I don’t think NRS deserves a huge scene like Smash, Tekken, and SF have earned. So, I sorta agree with you. Combo Breaker SHOULD be it’s major, but it won’t ever be that prestigious of an accolade IMO.

MK11 isn't my favorite game but people coming in to push their narrative that the game sucking is the reason it isn't at EVO is weird to me. I don't really think this has anything to due with the state of the gameplay.

My guy really? The Joker just got released and you're seriously asking this question? Joker singlehandedly revived half of the playerbase who left it.
Actually you can check couple of months back. Very high numbers for a fighting game at this time, even on PC.

Capcom and Namco have different business models than NRS do.

Street Fighter and Tekken accommodate the worldwide competitive player for four to five years. Mortal Kombat accommodates the casual player first and the competitive player second for no longer than two years. Mortal Kombat sells a lot more copies for this reason while Street Fighter gets released without a story mode.

I am not supporting or criticizing any business model. I am just explaining to you why the numbers are what they are and will continue to be at the most renowned competitive fighting game tournament in the world.

I have criticized Mortal Kombat 11 extensively on REO's podcast. The audio files are on YouTube. However, somewhere down the line people like you have lost your damn minds to such a large extent that I am constantly forced to defend the game from absurd accusations. For example, Cherny has been complaining about the plethora of wake up options. Fast forward to today, he creates a thread in which he states that there is a lack of wake up options. LOL. There were also people who claimed that Mortal Kombat 11 is "random", unbalanced, Mortal Kombat 9 is a superior fighting game, etc. Crazy assertion after crazy assertion.
Yes I've heard your comments on REO's podcast and find it funny you make the line "people like you have lost your damn minds..." as if you're not lumped into that same category by half of REO's listeners either. You realize you're the bunt of the jokes on his youtube channel comments right? They don't take what you or Brady say seriously and only look at you guys as the old men who can't seem to "adapt and conform" to the newest things going on. And you've NEVER in your entire life seen me make any idiotic "absurd assumptions" without first having experiences to back something up and the overall facts to prove said-statement so wherever you're getting that crock of crap from, you need to unload it in the toilet where it came from.

And it's funny again that you say you're a loud voice for dissent for this game yet someone brings up actual issues such as the lack of wake-up options, the horrid breakaway system, the horrible balance in this game and you're insulting them. This is the reason why we can't have earnest and pure discussion about why this game is truly bad. P.S. can we stop with the whole "MK9 is the worst game ever" schtick please? Had it not been for that game, where the hell would you and many other "voices" of this community be at?

And another thing.... Don't you find it ironic that you're asking people to rally behind this game to "stay alive" despite you saying this game having everything that makes it better then it's predecessors and yet people by the droves are leaving it and aren't turning back because of elitists insulting them and their intelligence? Where was this concern at back in August of last year? Where was this same concern at when people literally told you and others that the game was looking bad and wouldn't survive if the complaints weren't heeded? All I can recall is you complaining about it on REO's podcast and no one taking you seriously so why try now?

Last edited:
You’re kidding, right.

Injustice 1 was far more broken at both EVOs than either MKX or MK11 and was there two years.

You cannot blame the game. But when a community becomes obsessed with tearing everything down instead of building things up, it will have ripple effects.
I see you trying to minimize the issue into a balance discussion even though the word "balance" was not even uttered by my mouth. But humor you. Yes mkx balance was a joke from the get go yet it survived for 4 solid years, what's your point? Even with wack ass 50/50 and fucking armored launchers it was more fun, engaging and had more depth than mk11. Still is.

Even balance wise, Characters like Cetrion and Jacquie still need to be brought inline with the rest of the cast but that's not the main issue. Mk11 issues relays at it's core mechanics (pokes, throws, fb/kb, ji3..,etc). We've talked about those scrubby ass mechanics and bugs over and over and ways to fix them properly but you along with the few other shell overlords would have none of that. And here we are.

I do doubt it’s because of the trash gameplay.

But why then? Sponsors for Evo not liking MK for the gore seems plausible, but they’re cool with Mikas tiddies I guess? NRS not caring enough to push it also seems telling? Maybe they don’t see it as important or have something else planned? Would Spawn have been legal? Just curious.

Idk, I just can’t fathom a scenario where this is a good thing.

You’re kidding, right.

No, I know you enjoy a good shilling, but I’m not going to sit here and let you blame the community.

This is NRS’s fault. The scene has been TRYING to keep interest alive. Things like Destroyer’s tournaments, K&M FT10 series, people like Raptor constantly posting what little tech there is to find. It is NOT the community’s fault.

Was the community bitching about the game? Yes. But perhaps that’s because there have been some egregious balance and gameplay issues plaguing the game for MONTHS. People get frustrated.

NRS spent the entire time leading up to the game having us believe customs were happening, and then they were gone. The launch was a disaster, specifically the debacle that was the towers. Favorite characters were again sidelined for, and I quote, “Fan favorites from MKX like Jacqui.” The gear system is tragic. Yes, please, let me change how this grenade that’s hidden under Terminator’s coat 90% of the time looks. Insane balance issues, some of which, are STILL not addressed. And don’t forget how simply awful some of these new “variations” are. Clearly not thought out. Clearly not planned from the beginning.

Then some of you are going to pretend like MK11, the first NRS game to not have two years at EVO, the largest and most premier fighting game tournrament in the WORLD, isn’t a big deal. lol.

If the message hasn’t become crystal fucking clear about how the FGC views MK11 to both the White Knights and NRS I don’t know what will.

Meanwhile Skullgirls having their own Cup tour and still has players. This mindset is not healthy if we think we need EVO.

Even though we love Mortal Kombat, I think I can speak that the majority of us don’t like bad games. We have other communities that are attached to good games that we can support. Having an outlet to express negative opinions is okay. More people disliking and wanting to “tear down” what you like and want to “build up” isn’t a crime.

MK9 was the best MK, mostly due to nostalgia. MKX wasn’t a great game, but it was fun. MK11 isnt fun to A LOT of people.

Newsflash buddy, Mortal Kombat games have never been as good of GAMES as other fighting games. MK9 was the start of them cashing in on being “real games“ and they played their hand and couldn’t help but overproduce and try to “improve” until we were doomed to wind up with more cheesy ass dumb video games that are cool because of the characters and lore.

I don’t think NRS deserves a huge scene like Smash, Tekken, and SF have earned. So, I sorta agree with you. Combo Breaker SHOULD be it’s major, but it won’t ever be that prestigious of an accolade IMO.
Reminds me of the classic: "Sonic was never good" from the Sonic haters. GTFO with that nonsense my guy. This community has shown time and time again to be so hypocritical it's rich.

I see you trying to minimize the issue into a balance discussion even though the word "balance" was not even uttered by my mouth. But humor you. Yes mkx balance was a joke from the get go yet it survived for 4 solid years, what's your point? Even with wack ass 50/50 and fucking armored launchers it was more fun, engaging and had more depth than mk11. Still is.

Even balance wise, Characters like Cetrion and Jacquie still need to be brought inline with the rest of the cast but that's not the main issue. Mk11 issues relays at it's core mechanics (pokes, throws, fb/kb, ji3..,etc). We've talked about those scrubby ass mechanics and bugs over and over and ways to fix them properly but you along with the few other shell overlords would have none of that. And here we are.
‘Broken’ doesn’t mean just balance. The game had legitimately big issues (especially at the first EVO) that extend far beyond just what characters are better than others. But so do both Marvels, Melee, etc. The truth is that it’s always been more about the communities than the games.

Meanwhile Skullgirls having their own Cup tour and still has players. This mindset is not healthy if we think we need EVO.

Reminds me of the classic: "Sonic was never good" from the Sonic haters. GTFO with that nonsense my guy. This community has shown time and time again to be so hypocritical it's rich.
Sonic wasn’t ever good :,(

‘Broken’ doesn’t mean just balance. The game had legitimately big issues (especially at the first EVO) that extend far beyond just what characters are better than others. But so do both Marvels, Melee, etc. The truth is that it’s always been more about the communities than the games.
You would forever blame everything on the community and i will forever disagree with you. The community actually did their best to save this game, if you took some time out from shelling you'd see that.

Really happy that Soul Calibur is back but.. I'm in utter shock about MORTAL KOMBAT of all games up there being one of the most recognizable and favorite fighting games of all time, the series responsible for the ESRB system, is not there..

I don't even know what to say.

Is Melee irrelevant after being drop by EVO? No. Is Skullgirls irrelevant? No. There are number of games that have enver been to EVO and still have people palying them. This isn't a tinfoil hat this is telling you, if you like this game you get out there and play it. We shouldn't sit around and hope for something to come our way. EVO has made it clear it's about money and that's fine. They have dropped games that did well on the stream and attendance wise before. It has nothing to do with MK11's quality as a game, but what makes them the most money. What they did was business. Many fighters have survive without the EVO platform which is being tainted PC Esports culture. Why do you think DOA isn't there?

There is no damage and rallying has worked in the past. Ask UNIST community how that has worked out for them. They rally and kept rallying for years behidn their game to get it in the spotlight. The game is no lfie support because it didn't make EVO my man. What if I were to tell you MK9 still draws decent numbers as a main/side game at some events. Just because something is at EVO doesn't mean that game is going to be alive come next year or the year after. Games are kept alive because their communities care. Losing EVO sucks, but not the end of the world. People have been telling people to skip EVO for other events due the number of issues with EVO. You wanna know what won best fighting game trounament of the year? It wasn't EVO. It was Combobreaker. That should tell you something.
Is this is what we are compared too now? fucking skullgirls and melee? Have you ever asked yourself why are our numbers are never as good as fucking smash or capcom games? why we always at 4th-5th? Those are damn good questions to be brought up now if you ask me.

You would forever blame everything on the community and i will forever disagree with you. The community actually did their best to save this game, if you took some time out from shelling you'd see that.
Which is why our reaction now is to do like Melee and continue to strengthen our own community and support our game regardless, right? Not to continue tearing things down.

Nah, because we’re in a phase where people are literally around just to burn stuff down.

We should be hyping up the LCQ and Final Kombat and showing that this community has a backbone. If we can’t support our own scene, nobody will.

As much as I dislike the game too, I have it on pretty good authority the main reason it isn’t at evo is because nrs simply didnt pay for it to ber there this year. Now why they didn’t is up for speculation, but the complaint that Evo is spiting the NRS community is just stupid. Blame nrs for your game not being at Evo.

Last edited:
Which is why our reaction now is to do like Melee and continue to strengthen our own community and support our game regardless, right? Not to continue tearing things down.

Nah, because we’re in a phase where people are literally around just to burn stuff down.

We should be hyping up the LCQ and Final Kombat and showing that this community has a backbone. If we can’t support our own scene, nobody will.
Again, blind support is not the answer here. Those are short term kneecap fix. The better course of action is to stop being in denial and finally coming together as a community unanimously agreeing on what this game lacks and what needs to be changed to bring back both the love and the players we lost. This is the only legit answer right now, anything else is huffing and puffing.

And you've NEVER in your entire life seen me make any idiotic "absurd assumptions"...
In the same post, you call the game "truly bad" with a "horrible balance" and "lack of wake up options".

LOL.

Again, you have clearly lost your damn mind. The hatred toward Mortal Kombat 11 has driven some of you people crazy.

If you dislike the game, just say so and move on. Stop making up stuff.

As far as Mortal Kombat 9 goes, I can place well and still acknowledge a game's obvious flaws because I am neither a fanboy nor a hater.