What's new

MK11 Not Returning as Evo 2020 Mainstage game

Comments

I don't really see the point in going at it when no one knows why it won't be at EVO. Maybe it was because it was harder to advertise. Maybe it got axed because they wanted a balanced line-up and they felt bringing back a classic game like MvC2 was more important for some reason. Maybe it's because NRS/WB didn't pay some kinda price to have it there. Maybe it's actually because Mr. Wizard hates the poke system, lol, we just don't know.

But I do wonder if NRS will make a statement about this, because not being at the biggest tournament of the year will probably make it harder for them to get that eSports $$$, and if the profits aren't at what they want, will they REALLY be supporting the game for as long as they are saying? Seriously if the game isn't making it to a 2nd EVO is the game really as big as they were wanting? Like, what's the plan?

That's an easy fix though however fixing the game is something that you and I and this community can't do unless we discuss what's wrong in a manner that is both rational and earnest and send them to the devs.

You can fix laziness but I care more about the game then if a community is too lazy to actively go out and get support for a mini tournament.
Which seems to be nigh Impossible nowadays.

Oh, my bad

I forgot a word.

I meant to say poor view numbers for its slot.

I watched pretty much all of MK11, SC6, Smash, Tekken and it had awful numbers the whole way. Then low numbers for the main game on Saturday where DBF which was earlier nearly doubled it.
MK was running on two streams, Netherrealms and evo2, the former had the high numbers.

Tekken 7 - Was always gonna make it. This is arguably the biggest Tekken has been since Tekken 3.
Smash Bros Ultimate - The series as a whole does amazing numbers and will be there until the next one comes out or the numbers drastically decline.
SFV - It's Street Fighter, there will always be a Street Fighter game.
Under Night - Never played it because of the netcode but it's fun to watch. I'm glad they are getting a second year.
SC6 - I haven't played SC since 2 on the GameCube. I don't find it particularly fun to watch and could have easily been replaced with MK11.
Sam Sho - I've never played these games. I was gonna get the new one but saw the netcode wasn't good so I passed. I have no feelings on this game either way.
Granblue - I'm excited to see what the high level of this game is gonna look like. I think it deserves at least one year at EVO.
DBFZ - The DB series is a big part of my childhood but I feel like the hype for this game has waned along with my interest in it. If there is anyone game I would personally replace it would be this one.

Now, I want to talk about MvC. I've seen a lot of comments asking why MvC 2 is at EVO as if this is the game preventing MK from being there. This is the 20th anniversary of Marvel 2 and is a huge part of EVO history and I am overjoyed that it is gonna be there. Now, I do think it is BS that MK got snubbed this year but I don't think it had anything to do with MvC 2 being there. There is a laundry list of things that could have prevented MK form being there, from something on the corporate side or even bias from the people who pick the game's but I don't think it's right to blame MvC. This is a dream come true material for some people.

Rooflemoonger is a known nrs shill. You could make that excuse for Evo Japan to save face but this is America bro nobody cares about violence. Ridiculous to think for a second Mk11 one of the top selling games of the year is being gatekept because people are sensitive to violence.
no one cares about violence , in the meanwhile everyone has issues on youtube with being demonetized due to the violence.
sunday games get broadcast via tv too, partially on channel for kids...thats most likely the reason mk11 didnt got a sunday spot last year.

i am not saying that violence is the main reason the game is not in the lineup anymore but its deffenetly something which might be part of the reason for the current decision. its not such a non issue as you claim it to be.

It's absurd if the whole "MK isn't eSports friendly" narrative is true.

At the end of the day ALL of these games project some level of fantasy violence.

I have my opinions on MK11, but It most definitely deserves a spot at EVO.
It does, but whoever runs EVO hates MK.

you guys dont understand how bad this news is for us players.

For NRS its not a bad news it really doesn't matter ill explain everything.

LOL!!! Why do you ppl think tourneys and EVO make or break a game? You ppl are a small fraction to them. MK11 will be fine. Stop pretending just because you guys watch tourneys, you think you are part of something bigger. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can imagine that EVO was pretty pissed about the WB commercial breaks during the last EVO and I can imagine there was friction in the past.

No matter what most people claim about the game not being hype, fun or dumbed down, those are all not things that EVO considers, otherwise SFV which has been a piece of shit for most of its lifespan wouldn't have been there ever.

There's most likely company frictions going on behind the scenes.

Big bummer though that NRS decided to cut their pro circuit short so everybody is having their thumbs up their asses until the pro competition LCQ and finals.

I dunno what kind of an idiot decided to have 3 month between the season and the finals, but whatever I hope Combo Breaker will be good and SonicFox and all the other great players fly out even though they don't have much to gain there.
I imagine travel costs are still much higher overall than what you can win at 8th-16th place.

In all seriousness, I'm not 100% sure I buy the "core values" argument since Wiz had no problem with it just a year ago. Maybe it's that the game has just lost that much traction in views and entry numbers...or maybe it's a bit of both, as in the numbers the game will make don't outweigh what it would lose in sponsorships. Who actually knows? Also Wiz really isn't the best guy.

Anyways, the "no blood" code would be a great thing for NRS to stick in their next MK game if they actually give a shit about their game being at EVO. Kind of like how SFV was on TBS or something the one year and they had Fuudo play the Mika outfit that's not as revealing.

This is strictly because of monetization. Any channel affiliated with Evo, including the main channel and popular broadcasters hosting videos or posting matches after the tournament wouldn’t be able to monetize the content. It also doesn’t help that a certain “Network” of individuals have essentially abandoned the game. This open desertion of the game dates back to 2010 when these individuals essentially killed the legacy of the klassics and basically destroyed any of the foundation this series was sitting on. It truly is a shame what has happened to this franchise. I do blame Boon for this too, he’s so obsessed with his hair loss that he had no clue this was going to happen.

I'm only a little surprised. Personally, I think this game is pretty boring and maybe many other people do too. There are other options. I can only speak from personal experience, but I enjoyed MK9 and MKX a lot more.
It’s about money, plain and simple. Evo wouldn’t be able to host them because they couldn’t monetize the content during or after the tournament was over. It’s really that simple. It doesn’t help that a certain “Network” of individuals turned their backs on the klassics almost 10 years ago which basically turned the community into fractured pieces. I just hope this franchise doesn’t fall into obscurity, it desperately needs a total face-lift.

It’s about money, plain and simple. Evo wouldn’t be able to host them because they couldn’t monetize the content during or after the tournament was over. It’s really that simple. It doesn’t help that a certain “Network” of individuals turned their backs on the klassics almost 10 years ago which basically turned the community into fractured pieces. I just hope this franchise doesn’t fall into obscurity, it desperately needs a total face-lift.
You don't need to repeat yourself. Can you tell me your source though?

You don't need to repeat yourself. Can you tell me your source though?
Sources for what? Have you not heard streamers complaining about the YouTube purge and all the new guidelines? They tried everything too, they tried to censor with black and white filters and it helped awhile but if content is not considered “safe”, it can’t be monetized and in some cases, you aren’t able to share it either or add it to a playlist. If they can’t monetize the content, then they can’t make any money. Very simple.

"It’s about money, plain and simple." Which official entity said that? Maybe it's about money but you don't know HOW it's about money. I want more official sources.

Like, can we at least wait for an actual statement or more information from EVO or NRS before we tear each others heads off? Just a thought.
They are not going to tell us why it's not in their lineup. They'll just come up with some BS to avoid backlash.

I mean does anybody actually think Mr Wizard is going to say, "well they did not pay me enough to sponsor their game." Nobody is going to say that even though that's most likely the case.