What's new

MK11 'Leaks': A Case-by-Case Analysis

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
All of those channels that report leaks and rumors are trash. The only channel that reports fighting game content that I can stand is Maximilian Dood.

A single rumor could pop up and you know damn well they'll make a 10-minute video about a rumor that I could easily read here in 2 minutes. They're all flops

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
All of those channels that report leaks and rumors are trash. The only channel that reports fighting game content that I can stand is Maximilian Dood.

A single rumor could pop up and you know damn well they'll make a 10-minute video about a rumor that I could easily read here in 2 minutes. They're all flops
Even Max has a tendency to treat this stuff too credulously. I get that it brings in clicks, and they need clicks to survive, but it's aggravating.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Even Max has a tendency to treat this stuff too credulously. I get that it brings in clicks, and they need clicks to survive, but it's aggravating.
Well, yes and no. It's needed for his youtube channel to survive. But Max is mostly streaming on twitch and has been for 5 years now, and it's going great for him. He really don't need to post stuff on youtube anymore, but he does it, because that's where he started and a lot of people still follow him on here. Hence why most of his videos on his channel are taken from his streams, cut and put together to fit the youtube platform better. Strictly speaking though, he doesn't need those views, clicks and what not on there anymore.

That aside, I personally prefer Max the most when it comes to youtuber/streamer content and such. After having followed him since the Assist Me videos he made, he just feels more natural and comfortable in his own skin without having to make a huge spectacle of everything or trying to make his content into more than what it is.

At least that's my impression of him and his content. I don't feel like he's been click-baity, but maybe it's because I know what to expect from him.

hatyr

tease out the impurities
... he just feels more natural and comfortable in his own skin without having to make a huge spectacle of everything or trying to make his content into more than what it is.
I completely agree with this. It's also nice to have people like Max and Sajam (who are primarily known for non-NRS stuffs) so hyped for MK.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
I wasn't criticizing Max in general, at all! I just wish all of them would avoid this kind of ~leak~ stuff, because it's mostly goofy. Didn't mean to come across overly harsh.

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
I'll criticize Max myself, I feel he drums up very artificial hype for MK, focused around guest characters, which then artificially amplifies the presence of those characters in this community

Like he just doesn't dig most of the MK characters, I get it, but he routinely shits on MK characters. His reaction to the Kombat Pack 2 trailer has been stuck in my craw for years now.

Plus, he used to routinely play the Capcom weeb fanboi and mocked everything MK before MKX came out and he couldn't ignore it anymore cos C.R.E.A.M.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I wasn't criticizing Max in general, at all! I just wish all of them would avoid this kind of ~leak~ stuff, because it's mostly goofy. Didn't mean to come across overly harsh.
No no, I wasn't accusing you of that. Just wanted to put in my 2 cents and offer an explanation. :p

@Charybdis
Max wasn't an MK fan for a long time. He's explained this many times in the past. His friends, Kenny and Steve who are also part of the YoVideogames! crew, introduced Max to MK9 and over time he became more and more into Mortal Kombat as a franchise. He was indeed a Capcom fanboy in the past, something he's also fully admitted, but it's changed over the years. Especially now with Street Fighter V and Marvel VS Capcom Infinite being big disappointments to him (though he enjoys MvCI's gameplay quite a lot).

So no, he does indeed not have the same nostalgic attachment to MK as most of us do.

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
Yeah I've an issue with that too, Steve is such a longtime MK fan he insisted Kintaro's name was Montaro. Repeatedly. Despite Kintaro being on screen in front of him. He also mispronounced the name of almost every character during the 3d era and totally botched even a basic retelling of the DA-D story.

I dunno, I'm suspicious of major streamers suddenly getting 'introduced' to MK just as it takes off commercially again. It probably doesn't help that I really don't enjoy a lot of Max's "hype", which is just plainly put on for the camera in this weird cyclical relationship. It's like the Korean thing of watching people eat online: I'm excited for MK, why do I need to see someone else's obviously overdramatic reaction?

I do love Simmons though, if he had his own channel I'd watch that.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
why do I need to see someone else's obviously overdramatic reaction?
Well, to be fair... you don't. Just don't click on any of their content. :p
There's plenty of people out there to choose from on youtube, who are talking about MK and what else your interests might be. Just find the one to your liking. ^^

As for Steve... he still calls Ryu for "Raiu" (Americanised pronunciation), even when knowing it's the wrong pronunciation. So yeah, that's just Steve. *shrugs*

Speaking of... it would be nice if NRS will correct that in MK11, pronouncing the Shirai Ryu correctly instead of insisting on calling it "Raiu" as well.

Simmons runs the YoVideogames! channel and streams as well too:
https://www.twitch.tv/assistmedoom

Edit:
I must've been tired last night... I meant *pronunciation, not interpretation. XD
Fixed.

Last edited:
The one from 4chan about the VGA is fake. It said there were no variations in the game. 'The game is going to be announced at the VGA' is not a hard thing to guess given that it was the only big event left this year.

Meanwhile, James Fink (JamessMK) claims these supposed DMs to Righteoushall004 are fake:

I've updated the OP to include this information.

But if the DMs were from Fink, while he does sometimes have legit information, he also sometimes says things that turn out to be bullshit. He said Kai and Noob Saibot were in the MKX story. He said Erron Black was a Tarkatan. When he listed the base roster correctly, it was clearly from second-hand information -- and if he did have a line in at NRS, I doubt he still does after he publicly leaked so much MKX shit. The fact that he hasn't leaked anything about MK11 yet would seem to confirm that suspicion.

Extrapolating that from this tweet is a galaxy brain level reach, but even so if you look at the leaks in the OP you will see the ones that mention DLC at all say two sets of 5, not 4.

See my galaxy brain level reach was correct lol..6 DLC chars confirmed via Steam. Still no leak has listed 6 DLC chars as far as I know

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
See my galaxy brain level reach was correct lol..6 DLC chars confirmed via Steam. Still no leak has listed 6 DLC chars as far as I know
The galaxy brain reach wasn't you guessing 6 DLC characters, it was you saying Boon tweeting about the six movies in the Tremors series was him hinting at 6 DLC characters.

Last edited:
All of these are clearly fake, but given Baraka nor Havik appear in the rosters has me thinking they might be true. They are my my must returns for this game along with Fujin and given how Kittelsen killed Havik, NRS does not know what to do with Baraka, I fear for their inclusion.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
All of these are clearly fake, but given Baraka nor Havik appear in the rosters has me thinking they might be true. They are my my must returns for this game along with Fujin and given how Kittelsen killed Havik, NRS does not know what to do with Baraka, I fear for their inclusion.
I agree that Havik and Baraka are unlikely to be included, but I don't think that lends any credence to these 'leaks'.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Is the supposed confirmed leak mention anything about Tag Mode?
I can't dive into all that info right now..
Thanks in advance!
@ImperatrixSindel maybe you can enlighten me
Nope.

Here are the details from the email:
  • Ronda Rousey will allegedly be at the Jan 17 community reveal to announce she's voicing Sonya Blade, which would be a big waste of money unless she's a playable character.
  • One of the new characters is supposedly named 'Geras', and they say there's potentially a trailer for him coming Jan 17 because Shao Kahn's gameplay isn't ready to show. (This makes sense, as Shao Kahn is the pre-order character, ergo probably doesn't factor into the story mode, and therefore they'd start developing him later on.)
  • New gameplay elements that the email says need to be introduced: Custom Variations, Krushing Blows, and Supers.
  • A mode is listed called 'Towers of Time', which would make sense as the new version of the Living Towers.
  • The email writer pitches showing off a Story Prologue teaser to introduce 'Kronika', presumably the hourglass woman in the Announce Trailer. (A name deriving from Khronos -- Greek god of time -- would track with the way the Elder Gods tend to have names drawn from Japanese or Greek mythology.)