What's new

MK11 Kano Discussion

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
I can see why they went for fewer variation specific strings this time around but his tools don't add up IMO. Like he has good spacing a keepaway stuff in B1, F1, B3, B4. Then he has rushdown stuff in F2, F3 and F4. Then he has specials that don't match any of those styles.
If he doesn't add up they should've done QA on him before just throwing him in the game IDC what anyone says KOTAL is "more useful"

Who wants an advancing reactable high? Just so you can close the distance to preform the [Blackmarket Special] ~D1

Quality Assurance not question and answer

Last edited:

CriticalDrop

Beers, grabs & dropped combos
After trying it for a bit, I'm really dissapponted with the new variation. I know thay we might get some tweaks along with 3rd variations, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Ok, they'll give us a hit confirmable launcher from every string, but how are we supposed to open the opponent? Every string that can be cancelled into snake bite starts with a fucking high. Ok, ok, every string except F2. But F2 is death on block!! There is no reason for the opponent to block high, the only risk is being hit by a (reactable) overhead that leads to... nothing. Here is where you start to think about the way more appealing idea of having snake bit + manhandled, and realize that's not gonna happen, and it makes you angry.
Again, our only safe option to take our turn is D1, but D1xxSnake bite doesn't combo, and it's not hit confirmable, so you're risking your life once more, as snake bite is death on block and isn't even amplifiable on block, so you'd better pray it connects, because the opponent would not hesitate to punish it.
Instead of having the above mentioned manhandled, you're gona have optic blast, a shitty move thay has zero synergy with snake bite. It doesn't combo and its frames make it useless up close. And then you think that, if I needed a mid projectile, I'd rather have bio-magnetic trap instead of optic blast, which would also have made snake bite more useful, adding DoT to the move.
But it is when I look at other variations focused in combo extenders, like Matoka Warrior for example, when I realize how much gimped this variation would be if Kano doesn't receive important adjustments.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
The funny thing is. Snakebite makes 22, aka his best string, useful. Doesn't have the whiffing issues of 24, fast, hit confirmable, has a safe ender. Which just makes me more frustrated that string is pretty useless in his other variations.

Also 22 and snakebite does not a good character make, even though they are both good tools

HiddenSelectCounterPick

After trying it for a bit, I'm really dissapponted with the new variation. I know thay we might get some tweaks along with 3rd variations, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Ok, they'll give us a hit confirmable launcher from every string, but how are we supposed to open the opponent? Every string that can be cancelled into snake bite starts with a fucking high. Ok, ok, every string except F2. But F2 is death on block!! There is no reason for the opponent to block high, the only risk is being hit by a (reactable) overhead that leads to... nothing. Here is where you start to think about the way more appealing idea of having snake bit + manhandled, and realize that's not gonna happen, and it makes you angry.
Again, our only safe option to take our turn is D1, but D1xxSnake bite doesn't combo, and it's not hit confirmable, so you're risking your life once more, as snake bite is death on block and isn't even amplifiable on block, so you'd better pray it connects, because the opponent would not hesitate to punish it.
Instead of having the above mentioned manhandled, you're gona have optic blast, a shitty move thay has zero synergy with snake bite. It doesn't combo and its frames make it useless up close. And then you think that, if I needed a mid projectile, I'd rather have bio-magnetic trap instead of optic blast, which would also have made snake bite more useful, adding DoT to the move.
But it is when I look at other variations focused in combo extenders, like Matoka Warrior for example, when I realize how much gimped this variation would be if Kano doesn't receive important adjustments.
Sarcasm but he's still bad....i tried the variation out in non competitive and got mopped.
He needs lumbar check to be useful with snakebite having bad basic moves and mostly highs earns him 0 respect.

D1s only get you so far.. and if you do d1 into snakebite on block he still does it and is open for gigantic punish.....

Edit: It's not like doing d1 kanoball because you have the option to amp it for a gimmick.

Doing (D1) His best move lol into snakebite on purpose hoping for them to mash is asking to remove half of his bloody sausage for no reason. To sit in recovery with his back turned. They should add lumbar check OR give him the combo extenders that are in Ripper imo.
We were going over this a page before, it is a little unsettling if kano does no receive extra moves besides 2 special moves

HiddenSelectCounterPick

The funny thing is. Snakebite makes 22, aka his best string, useful. Doesn't have the whiffing issues of 24, fast, hit confirmable, has a safe ender. Which just makes me more frustrated that string is pretty useless in his other variations.

Also 22 and snakebite does not a good character make, even though they are both good tools
So 22 1+3 is safe on block? I thought it was -6 , doesn't it give up your turn?

CriticalDrop

We were going over this a page before, it is a little unsettling if kano does no receive extra moves besides 2 special moves
I'm wondering if they will make F4xxsnake bite universal, this would made the variation way more useful.

So 22 1+3 is safe on block? I thought it was -6 , doesn't it give up your turn?
It's safe, but yes, it's -6 on block. However 22 is -4 on block, the nearest thing to an stagger we have without a gap.

kcd117

Noob
Those things wouldn't fix him and F2 being safe would be kinda stupid
With those 2 changes, base Kano would be solid and thus all of his variations would too.

His main problem imo is the lack of a safe mid and F2 would make up for that. I don't see how it could be stupid at all since it is 13 frames and would lead to 22% dmg on hit and many characters have safe lows that lead to more reward while also having safe overhead checks that are waaaaay better than his F4 ie: Scorpion and Sub. It would stop the riskless mashing against him and give him solid Strike/Throw mixups to make good use of his grab KBs.

112 being cancelable would give him a better punish game, another safe hit-confirmable option (since his only one rn is 22) and something to consistently jail from his D1. 11 is a decent auto-shimmy so it would also help making use of his throw KBs.

Those changes would give him solid offense, and if he has that he can play the game without an anti-air and shitty defensive options outside of his reversals.

CriticalDrop

With those 2 changes, base Kano would be solid and thus all of his variations would too.

His main problem imo is the lack of a safe mid and F2 would make up for that. I don't see how it could be stupid at all since it is 13 frames and would lead to 22% dmg on hit and many characters have safe lows that lead to more reward while also having safe overhead checks that are waaaaay better than his F4 ie: Scorpion and Sub. It would stop the riskless mashing against him and give him solid Strike/Throw mixups to make good use of his grab KBs.

112 being cancelable would give him a better punish game, another safe hit-confirmable option (since his only one rn is 22) and something to consistently jail from his D1. 11 is a decent auto-shimmy so it would also help making use of his throw KBs.

Those changes would give him solid offense, and if he has that he can play the game without an anti-air and shitty defensive options outside of his reversals.
This actually makes a lot of sense

HiddenSelectCounterPick

I just want kano to make sense, right now as @MsMiharo is trying to say, they didn't design Kano well he needs more than help. A redesign perhaps.

It shouldn't be this hard for his strings to complement his special moves.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano

112 only leads to ball. Which isn't really good oki. Maybe snakebite would connect, this is all theory craft so it's kind of hard to say. But that way Kano wouldn't be fixed, at most his third variation would just be a lot better. Having a mid is not only for threat post poke, he would simply be neutral ducked to death still.

F2 being safe wouldn't really change him that much. Sure the damage would be NICE but it's range and frames makes it poor as a substitute for a reliable mid. He already has a ridiculous low threat in his sweep. Sure it's low damage but you can machine gun that shit for days to make them eat the F4 eventually.

Personally I would much rather see them look into B2, F3, S2 or F4.

Overall I just feel that Kano looks like a rushdown character on paper but once he gets in it's all highs and bad oki. Which makes no sense tbh.