What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

Kombat is getting free b3's and shit because he conditioned his opponent. I wanna see how he conditions people into fearing b3/Johnny's neuch. I don't know how he does it/I haven't played him
Maybe just he plays high level players who by default respect his other options more than the average.

Someone who jumps 5 times in a row after AAd is not capable to condition at all. Especially in an ft2 unless you play multiple times with him.

I tried to condition with F44 a lot and he lost due to it but did not care. He just wanted to blow my F3 so hard lol.

Against random disrespectful people Johnny is not an "easy" to play.
With other char you can give easy safe 30% Bnb.. :)

KutlessMyth

mental and fundamental
Lol ok cool already responded to that claim, I don't really care anymore.
Just like his forceballs always work on blocking opponents.........oh wait
yea his forceballs don't work which must mean none of his moves work.
wait no that's a logical fallacy
anyways it's pretty execution tight, but I guaruntee you if you get it down, it always works. I encourage you not to give up.

anyways it's pretty execution tight, but I guaruntee you if you get it down, it always works. I encourage you not to give up.
I don’t find the execution hard at all, much easier than d1-s2, and even if your timing is off a little and you get punished for it, it makes the person you are playing greedy which allows you to f44 them or full combo f34 them when you do correctly jail, both options are eventually going to get them to respect the follow up from d4 whether your execution is shitty or not.

I definitely agree that Johnny actually is way easier to play against better players who understand frame data and know about + and - on block, than disrespectful players who mash d2 and pokes and jump like crazy.

I feel Kano is in this same boat, a lot harder to play against yolo players.

KutlessMyth

mental and fundamental
I don’t find the execution hard at all, much easier than d1-s2, and even if your timing is off a little and you get punished for it, it makes the person you are playing greedy which allows you to f44 them or full combo f34 them when you do correctly jail, both options are eventually going to get them to respect the follow up from d4 whether your execution is shitty or not.

I definitely agree that Johnny actually is way easier to play against better players who understand frame data and know about + and - on block, than disrespectful players who mash d2 and pokes and jump like crazy.

i only said the execution was hard because he said it doesn't link, it's actually pretty forgiving, i agree
And if you're not using ShowStopper, F4 links with nutpunch for a full combo, but it's a very difficult hit confirm

I'm glad somebody else realised it; it's actually harder to beat scrubs than good players. Lol.
As far as Kano goes, you can actually neutral duck and uppercut under his command grab. They made it a high with the last patch. It's the dumbest thing ever. At least Cage has a mid. Kano has shit.

D

Deleted member 35141

Well at this point my game is in someone elses system by now.
My execution wasnt the issue its the POS character in a POS online mode.
My last 2 comments before you quoted me explain all my issues.
I dont know how anyone can say anything with cage is guaranteed with shit hit boxes and terrible connection and wifi warriors.

You all can sit here and pretend hes just fine but in reality he doesnt belong in this game. Need to stop looking at cage like hes in his own game when other characters are also in the game.
He has the worst KB requirements, top 3 slowest mid/lows in the game, no overheads unlike 95% of the cast, not to mention the worst hitboxes I have ever seen in a AAA fighting were talking 5 man development team issues.
But the reaponse is well he doesnt need any of that to be good, and I call bs how can you be bad at every aspect of the game yet be great got me.

KutlessMyth

mental and fundamental
Well at this point my game is in someone elses system by now.
My execution wasnt the issue its the POS character in a POS online mode.
My last 2 comments before you quoted me explain all my issues.
I dont know how anyone can say anything with cage is guaranteed with shit hit boxes and terrible connection and wifi warriors.

You all can sit here and pretend hes just fine but in reality he doesnt belong in this game. Need to stop looking at cage like hes in his own game when other characters are also in the game.
He has the worst KB requirements, top 3 slowest mid/lows in the game, no overheads unlike 95% of the cast, not to mention the worst hitboxes I have ever seen in a AAA fighting were talking 5 man development team issues.
But the reaponse is well he doesnt need any of that to be good, and I call bs how can you be bad at every aspect of the game yet be great got me.
I have a training partner who's a wifi warrior and usually gets 150, the link-up still works you just have to press it sooner than usual imo. Also what page are those other 2 comments I'd like to read those so I can understand better.
His hitboxes are whack, can agree. But those will be fixed and hopefully he'll get a buff on the startup frames of those attacks, but tbh I think they were going for a long yet slow normal character with johnny. (like robin or lasher takeda)
Overheads are scarce in this game, I'm hoping that they do balance that out a bit (whether by removing overheads from high tiers or adding more to characters without them). Agree on the kb requirements tho, a throw KB or two would be nice. But I wouldn't say he's bad at every aspect of the game, you must know you're exaggerating on that end. His whiff punish game is godly and his walkspeed and chip damage are insane.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
I'm gonna put him on the shelf a bit. I have so many games with him and managed to hit God rank but as of late I just feel like I hit a wall. Everyone I play against are characters whom we whiff against, and vs God and Elder God players - holy shit it's hard when they have labbed Cage. Or, I'll keep playing him, I just need a secondary for my bad matchups like Sonya and Erron. Until shit gets fixed I think this is the plan. Every other Cage in the top 100 plays other characters so I guess I'm not the only one lul

heildan

NANI?!
I'm gonna put him on the shelf a bit. I have so many games with him and managed to hit God rank but as of late I just feel like I hit a wall. Everyone I play against are characters whom we whiff against, and vs God and Elder God players - holy shit it's hard when they have labbed Cage. Or, I'll keep playing him, I just need a secondary for my bad matchups like Sonya and Erron. Until shit gets fixed I think this is the plan. Every other Cage in the top 100 plays other characters so I guess I'm not the only one lul
This game is just frustrating sometimes. I totally feel ya.

I have a training partner who's a wifi warrior and usually gets 150, the link-up still works you just have to press it sooner than usual imo. Also what page are those other 2 comments I'd like to read those so I can understand better.
His hitboxes are whack, can agree. But those will be fixed and hopefully he'll get a buff on the startup frames of those attacks, but tbh I think they were going for a long yet slow normal character with johnny. (like robin or lasher takeda)
Overheads are scarce in this game, I'm hoping that they do balance that out a bit (whether by removing overheads from high tiers or adding more to characters without them). Agree on the kb requirements tho, a throw KB or two would be nice. But I wouldn't say he's bad at every aspect of the game, you must know you're exaggerating on that end. His whiff punish game is godly and his walkspeed and chip damage are insane.
An overhead for Johnny wouldn't be that big of a deal if it simply knocked you down with low damage. It doesn't have to juggle you, it's just a way to combat turtles. Make it after F4. Jacqui has one too, and her pressure is insane, way better than Johnny's. Along with the hitbox fix, if we get one, he'd be A tier again.

mrapchem

Noob
How have you guys been dealing against Sub? I'm kinda struggling against good Sub players.
Sub is a tough match for Cage. You need to try to bait out slides (if your opponent has it equipped) and bait/punish that overhead as it's terribly unsafe. Johnny has faster pokes than Sub up close and you might be able to low-profile his D1 after a blocked F4. Abuse the speed and range of your D4.

One other thing: if your Sub player has slide, understand that you need to have an up-close slide punish and a long-range slide punish. Depending on how far away from you the Sub player was when he began to slide, you will need to alternate between the two punishes on block, or simply use your longer range punish. 34 is a great combo starter for this task.

D

Deleted member 35141

I played lasher takeda and Robin in the respected games quite a bit I definitely see the comparison as far as what NRS wanted it to be like. Takeda had mids and overheads that could be canceled into lows or huge combo starters.
Robin was dirty too his main string was a long range mid the could go into a crossup/overhead straight into another string not to mention his bnb that did 44 % on superman.

KutlessMyth

mental and fundamental
I played lasher takeda and Robin in the respected games quite a bit I definitely see the comparison as far as what NRS wanted it to be like. Takeda had mids and overheads that could be canceled into lows or huge combo starters.
Robin was dirty too his main string was a long range mid the could go into a crossup/overhead straight into another string not to mention his bnb that did 44 % on superman.
Unfortunately mix and damage went on a huge decline since MKX and IJ2. So you're not gonna see those in this game, but that's still the type of character he is.

So I was labbing LK's f3333 into stance low and, I don't know if it's known (it probably is but I'll say it anyways) but when you are stand blocking the first two hits of f3333 and go crouch blocking before the third kick is active, then the kick will whiff and allow for a free punish. It is also interesting (not for LK players tho :DOGE) to know that if the third kick whiffs, it seems that the fourth hit of the f3333 is guaranteed on block and leaves LK at -12 because he loses the ability to special cancel the third hit on block.

Last edited:
Alrighty...Season 2 of Kombat League. Anyone going straight Johnny Cage with me? My goal in season 1 was to hit God. Accomplished that and got to play there for a couple days. This season....Elder God.

Feels like a stupid goal that I'll never hit, but:

I with ya homie!! Gonna shoot for God this time around. Only made it about half through Demi in S1 which felt like a major achievement for me. I had a few long weekend vacations which prohibited me from playing, I don't have anything personally planned for the next month or so I should be able to play more. I'm actually looking forward to S2 in a weird way, lol. It's a fucking sweaty shit show but I enjoy the challenge. Let's fucking go!

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Alrighty...Season 2 of Kombat League. Anyone going straight Johnny Cage with me? My goal in season 1 was to hit God. Accomplished that and got to play there for a couple days. This season....Elder God.

Feels like a stupid goal that I'll never hit, but:

Hell, it's ride or die with the Cage Mage at this point. Made it to Demi in just 3 days last time, so we'll see what I can do this season.
EDIT: My mistake, it was 4 days. But still!

Last edited:
I might make a go of Johnny this time round, but man... I remember the beginning of last season I quit and used someone else because it was too stressful.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Question for you guys. In the event that you play Cage into a character that his Force Balls whiff on, how do you adjust your gameplan to adapt when the opponent starts to take advantage of that? More unusual staggers into throw? More parry? More focus on whiff punishes? Feels like I'm free to anyone who knows that aspect of the match-up and I can't help but feel I've grown too reliant on Force Balls in my gameplay. Or is this just one of those 'Cross your fingers and pray' scenario?