What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

I dont consider me a bad Johnny(solo mained him since release) but today i was sandbagged by a cassie that just crouch blocked walk back press button whenever im in range mime time didnt prove effective cause of her low's he did not even even use low gunshot or stand gunshot just block walk back press anything on dash for throw. Also i walk up walk back still got hit or he just waited for my mime timeon back walk
It felt like there was zero i could have done in that match

Not shure ifh it matter but he had a twitch rivals banner teabagging inclusive

Last edited:

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
It's alright for long jump ins but it just doesnt hit very high, this making cross ups fucking unbearable for me

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
S2 has a better vertical hitbox.

Cages d2 is really good.

1 and b2 good for long range jump ins
Yeah d2 has been my stable for a long time, but it's time for me to get optimal stuff. Been integrating s1 so I can do it on reaction but people jumping in after shimmy strings just dont get caught by s1, but yeah completely forgot about s2. D2 is still handy for people doing predictable crossups as it recovers fast enough for followups.

Just lost some key sets because I try to AA a close jump in only to eat a full combo lul

Wigy

There it is...
D2 conversions off jump ins are pretty easy with cage.

I'd say if I catch them trying to cross me up I get a d1 np 75% of the time.

In the corner I just go straight into d1 1 2 2 121

Error404

Noob
Here's a tip on dealing with some off Cassies BS:
It's very easy to flawless block and punish f4 after her restand. The same can be done if you got hit by raw f4. If you press block slightly after the animation is over, you can get F.Block on most things she can reach you with from that range.

Also look for F.Block on low gunshit. If you get it , shadow kick will punish it from a pretty long distance.

I know this will sound unreasonable , especially with all the salt going around. But trust me it's not as hard as it sounds . I have been experimenting with the f.block mechanic a lot. It's incredible what you can with it on both offence and defence. I'll make some videos on Sunday about it

Wigy

There it is...
I have noticed some crossup jump kicks and stuff that have funny hitboxes. Your character will just not turn around until the JK is active.
So s1 comes out the wrong way or too late.

This was in practice, might have been against kabal can't remember.

D

Deleted member 35141

D2 has seemed to work best just because when he ducks he kind of has a female hitbox where some characters have to delay their jump in move

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I need advice.
d4 mashers are the bane of my existence. They are such a stupidly good counter to this character, I always roll my eyes back into my head when I see any footage or face any player that isn't abusing d4s, or indeed any long range down poke.
I know what you're thinking.. just b3 or f4. That's the problem, it creates a mindgame that's super risky, b3/b34 and f4/f44 are teleflurry levels unsafe on whiff and are very free to whiff punishes and crossup punches.
What irks me is that this wouldn't be a problem if cage had his own cheese factory d4, or a fast safe mid.
Actually, you know what, I don't even play this game anymore.

Last edited:

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
I need advice.
d4 mashers are the bane of my existence. They are such a stupidly good counter to this character, I always roll my eyes back into my head when I see any footage or face any player that isn't abusing d4s, or indeed any long range down poke.
I know what you're thinking.. just b3 or f4. That's the problem, it creates a mindgame that's super risky, b3/b34 and f4/f44 are teleflurry levels unsafe on whiff and are very free to whiff punishes and crossup punches.
What irks me is that this wouldn't be a problem if cage had his own cheese factory d4, or a fast safe mid.
Actually, you know what, I don't even play this game anymore.
At what instances do they poke out? The only shit I really despise is pokes with pushback combined with the fact some chars have insane throw ranges. Noob just throws a point blank d4, pushes my out of reversal throw range. The next time I do a d4 back at him which he blocks AND HIS THROW FUCKING HITS ME LIKE BREHHHH WTF IS THIS. I use throws as my fast mid lul so this shit is hella annoying

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
b3/b34 and f4/f44 are teleflurry levels unsafe on whiff
I think this is something that gets overlooked quite often. I know it shouldnt matter as a whiff is a whiff but a lot of the rationale for putting Kollector at the bottom of tier lists often has to do with how horrible he is on whiff. Honestly trying to play footsies with Noob and Kabal is so fucking weird at times, particularly Kabal. They move forward so damn much during their mid strings. This is even a factor in high level play - I've seen Semiij catch high level players with Kitana's second low hit of her mid string because it advances forward when the first hit whiffs, and I get hit with it as well. You can punish them when the initial hit whiffs, but in Kitana's case, she low profiles everything but mids during the low animation, and with f4 as our only advancing mid it gets kiiiiiiinda sketchy - and Kabal gets Krushing blows if you mess up the short window in which you can whiff punish him

I literally wanna pull my nutsack when f344 JUST misses them and it's death, or when f344 hits in the air but not the kind where you can confirm the last hit into shadow kick - the kind that kills you on whiff lul

thlityoursloat

kick kick
At what instances do they poke out? The only shit I really despise is pokes with pushback combined with the fact some chars have insane throw ranges. Noob just throws a point blank d4, pushes my out of reversal throw range. The next time I do a d4 back at him which he blocks AND HIS THROW FUCKING HITS ME LIKE BREHHHH WTF IS THIS. I use throws as my fast mid lul so this shit is hella annoying
In the neutral. Randomly. Seriously.
I've had some 8th level intellect individuals cleverly figure out that if they mash out d4 in the neutral, they will a) evade my projectile and the ex version and b) evade f3, you know, Cage's best options in the neutral? If I get hit they get pressure, if it gets blocked woop de doo d4s are barely negative with a lot of pushback. Some d4s are so long range, like Noob's, that the timing on the b3 stuff is insanely strict, and f4 hardly reaches if at all.

So how far are yall getting with Cage in KL ?
Not very well, as you can see people are clearly figuring out the matchup.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I think this is something that gets overlooked quite often. I know it shouldnt matter as a whiff is a whiff but a lot of the rationale for putting Kollector at the bottom of tier lists often has to do with how horrible he is on whiff. Honestly trying to play footsies with Noob and Kabal is so fucking weird at times, particularly Kabal. They move forward so damn much during their mid strings. This is even a factor in high level play - I've seen Semiij catch high level players with Kitana's second low hit of her mid string because it advances forward when the first hit whiffs, and I get hit with it as well. You can punish them when the initial hit whiffs, but in Kitana's case, she low profiles everything but mids during the low animation, and with f4 as our only advancing mid it gets kiiiiiiinda sketchy - and Kabal gets Krushing blows if you mess up the short window in which you can whiff punish him

I literally wanna pull my nutsack when f344 JUST misses them and it's death, or when f344 hits in the air but not the kind where you can confirm the last hit into shadow kick - the kind that kills you on whiff lul
A lot of their attacks are also hurtboxless sooo..
They don't feel like fun MUs at all, both do what Cage does, except better, and Noob does significantly more damage.

The d4 problem is this new wacky ass pushback they've added. You can't check scorp or sub with a d4 after you block theirs.

Poke pushback needs to be heavily nerfed.

Cassies d4 might as well be kenshis forcepush.
Haha, that's unironically half the d4s in the game.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
The d4 problem is this new wacky ass pushback they've added. You can't check scorp or sub with a d4 after you block theirs.

Poke pushback needs to be heavily nerfed.

Cassies d4 might as well be kenshis forcepush.
I fucking despise how Scorpion can d4 all the time. I mean if he does it at point blank you can d4, but its not a poke you throw out point blank. With just a little spacing it becomes one of his best shimmy tools for real