What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
I want to love Johnny. I really do. Fingers crossed he gets a little more reliable in the future. I don't want, or think he needs any kind of serious buffs or the like.. just round him out a little and maybe give me KBs =\

I main Cassie and JC and damn there is a difference going from Cas to her daddy.
I think Johnny is the kind of character who ages like fine wine. Footsies are 101. The "frame traps" all the commentators are talking about arent as oppressive as they make them out to be - like wtf is a frametrap when you can just walk backwards LOL. It simply becomes a mind game instead - will he walk backwards? then we dash into f3/f4, does he block? dash throw? does he poke to catch f3/f4? Wait a bit and whiff punish.

The more of the roster you know the ins and outs of the better you can utilize Johnny's good footsie tools. And yes you can achieve the same with Cassie and Scorpion 90 % of the time but Johnny has that sliiiiightly better range that will make a big difference when people will try to shimmy in neutral. I even catch good players attempt to walk backwards after a throw break only to be clipped by f3. Johnny does have strengths but I feel like his strengths amplify the player with solid fundamentals. It's the player that makes the character great - similarly to Cybernetic Kano. The only ones who made Cybernetic look nuts were guys like Coach Steve because Cybernetic was a character whose efficiency increased exponentially with better footsies

He along with Noob Saibot represent what this game should be. I mean fix his inconsistencies but the gameplan is balanced.

Last edited:

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
What would you guys say a solid secondary is? I've tried Jax, but he just didn't click for me, and I'm trying Jacqui now, but the lack of range and no projectile is taking me a LOT of getting used to. I might look into Skarlet soon since I have experience from the beta?

Any other input?

kevkopdx

Noob
What would you guys say a solid secondary is? I've tried Jax, but he just didn't click for me, and I'm trying Jacqui now, but the lack of range and no projectile is taking me a LOT of getting used to. I might look into Skarlet soon since I have experience from the beta?

Any other input?
I’ve been enjoying Kitana quite a bit, staggers, air projectile and viable crushing blows... very honest character like Johnny

FoughtDragon01

I’ve been enjoying Kitana quite a bit, staggers, air projectile and viable crushing blows... very honest character like Johnny
Yeah, Kitana was another one I was looking at! After playing against a few really solid ones, I could see how some of my playstyle with Johnny could transfer over to her pretty well.

Any other input?
I have Sonya and Kitana as secondaries, I think I can cover all matchups with them.

I know NRS is known for realeasing really well polished games but I found... A WHIFFING ISSUE :eek:

I don't know if it's known but Jax has a whiffing issue against Johnny. I was labbing the match up Johnny vs Jax Hunker Down and I found that the second hit (mid) of b32 actually whiffs if Johnny releases block after the b3 (low) and neutral ducks, the second hit whiffs and Jax can be full punished.

I'll post it on Jax's discussion thread of course, it wouldn't be fair to not share it :)

D2 mashers are enough to take your mind out of the game and lose the match. The majority of my loses came from getting mad a cheap players. Keeping your head while playing as Johnny Cage is very important, because he doesn't have an answer for a lot of the bullshit that goes on. There's no room for error and every combo has to land. Either be patient or pick someone else.

Wigy

There it is...
D2 mashers are enough to take your mind out of the game and lose the match. The majority of my loses came from getting mad a cheap players. Keeping your head while playing as Johnny Cage is very important, because he doesn't have an answer for a lot of the bullshit that goes on. There's no room for error and every combo has to land. Either be patient or pick someone else.
My online game plan with cage 90% exploiting fuckers not respecting shit and mashing.

If I land a deep jump kick I just walk back and b3
If I land 124 on block in the corner I sweep to whiff punish their mash poke.
Christ i even started nutpunching on block after 121 cause for some reason everyone unblocks after it.
D1 np after every fucking np
Mb fireballs, plus 6... Better walk away and throw a fireball again.

My online game plan with cage 90% exploiting fuckers not respecting shit and mashing.

If I land a deep jump kick I just walk back and b3
If I land 124 on block in the corner I sweep to whiff punish their mash poke.
Christ i even started nutpunching on block after 121 cause for some reason everyone unblocks after it.
D1 np after every fucking np
Mb fireballs, plus 6... Better walk away and throw a fireball again.
Same here regarding 121. Idk why people let go of block. I guess it's because they realize it starts high, so they try to be assholes and poke mash through it. But yea, B3 is great when you're spacing properly. Aggressive players always get hit by it. This game is all about getting in then running backwards to piss off your opponent into making mistakes.
This game sucks.
Agreed to an extent. Too much like Injustice.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano

Any other input?
I play Hunker Down on the side. It doesnt really cover matchups per se, but I feel like having staggerable mids works well against players with solid defense.

And I just stopped bothering with Johnny against many top tiers, I just switch to Jax against Sonya, Cassie and Jacqui. It doesnt really cover bad matchups, but Jax has tools that help me navigate bad matchups. Cetrion still sucks for Jax, Jade too but it's easier for me to hold them down when I finally get in

Rizz091

Noob

Any other input?
I've been using Scorpion Reborn. Teleport covers matches where Johnny gets zoned out and his mids allow him to fight people who low profile him. Just a great character overall that has control in every match.

Should I keep using Johnny despite these whiffing issues? Im already on edge because of the shit , thinking of using a new char. I was hoping they were going to fix it in this Tsung patch

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Lol it's pretty clear they don't give a single fuck as they didn't in mkx as well.
Everyone screams about hitbox issues and they go ahead and add a DLC with the exact same problem.

Hitboxes will NEVER get fixed.

KB will perhaps get changed after half an year, but it won't matter as hitboxes make this char unplayable against 80% of the cast.

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
Lads. Kosmetic question.
Has any of you managed to get Johnny's hand wraps either 'Ribbons of Glory' or 'More than a beating'?
It's the classic Johnny lookin' bandages. I've cleaned out to krypt twice, and bought all of kollector's shit. Do I need to go gamble at the shrine slot machine or just pray to RNGesus for Kronika Vaults?

K3M1K4l

Banned
Should I keep using Johnny despite these whiffing issues? Im already on edge because of the shit , thinking of using a new char. I was hoping they were going to fix it in this Tsung patch
He is one of only cast members who doesn’t bore me and I think it’s because he has to work so hard to win plus he has the shmix (IMO 124 is really good).

I think grinding it out will make u a better player in the long run. Just wait for the patch..... lol

Last edited:
He is one of only cast members who doesn’t bore me and I think it’s because he has to work so hard to win plus he has the shmix (IMO 124 is really good).

I think grinding it out will make u a better player in the long run. Just wait for the patch..... lol
Cheers for the advice... 124 is really good, 124 if blocked you can do f4 cage rage or just f3 stagger in throw on hit right and shimmy b34? what else am i missing

FoughtDragon01

I still play Johnny for fun, but those whiffing issues REALLY hurt if you're trying to win. I didn't know that they were as bad as they were, and once I learned how many characters force balls whiffed on, it was very disheartening. I wanna believe that NRS will address this, but if recall correctly, Johnny still has whiffing issues in MKX to this day, so that has me feeling nervous for the future.

Hitboxes will NEVER get fixed.
I wonder if they will use the "It adds more depth to the gameplay" excuse this time. I was so outraged when I realised that they will never fix JC's whiffing issues in MKXL and they just said that excuse to dismiss the issue once and for all. They don't even care about the health of their own game and they want us to take it seriously on the competitive scene ?

I think you're right, I think they won't even bother fixing Johnny's hitboxes. I really hope they will prove me wrong this time, but I think they prefer spending their time on how to make us pay more microtransactions instead of making a decent game.

Who was the one guy here that said the characters would get fixed once they released the DLC characters, and that we were overreacting?