What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
How should they tweak our Kbs?
on top of the nut punch punish, if nut punch is used within 4 seconds or within a combo where fb cancel was used trigger krushing blow?
if you connect 2 shadow kicks in a row krushing blow? or from max distance
mime parry kb to work like luikangs and less start up frames for mime parry?
Really is no reason why Shadow Kick shouldn't have a Krushing Blow.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Realistically, I think they're more likely to change KB requirements than add completely new ones. It would take time away from the art and animation teams that are working on the DLC.

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
please tell me how to @ people. I know some of yall fuckers know, I’ve seen you do it, but you’re hoarding the info, like the Hermaeus Mora worshipping little shits you are. “Knowledge” yeah, fuck you. Using reply till then.
I know I’ve made this point, but I can’t help but smile at this. I said somewhere near page 15 I was dropping Cage till buffs, said near pg 20 that Skarlet was my new main. But I agree with what you’re saying, I’ve been trying to encourage everyone, on all character threads I’m on to try more of the cast.

I’ve played a lot of Skarlet, and a bit of... Everyone else. Suffice to say, I’ve come full circle and seen the true light of Johnny Cage, after getting objective comparisons of his tools. Hope others have a similar experience, but if not it’s a win/win. Either you get insight, or you have someone you can get more wins with and you’re happier. Losing is stressful af.

I’ll say this after playing a lot of Liu... Either he’s closer to Johnny than everyone thinks, or Johnny’s closer to him.

I’ll stream if there’s interest for it and just let yall know in advance, but uh... PC has a lotta trash players so I can’t promise it’ll be worth seeing.

I love when my opponent chooses Cage. Every time he pushes forward with F3 I simply uppercut or command grab with Kano. He literally can't do anything. It's hilarious but sad at the same time.

Wrath0594

Just landed mime time krushing blow on a Cassie. Today was a good day

@Wrath0594 I'm down to watch you stream. If you do let us know
Bro, right after I wrote that shit I hopped into ranked- first time on the game at all today. Figured “maybe I’m gettn cocky, so fuck the warmup”
Of all things, a thin ice Sub Zero. I’m sure yall will be on the edge of your fuckin seats seeing me block slide into punish repeatedly. 4d chess. Truly high level kontent. Really showcasing THE POWER OF JOHNNY CAGE.

My god...
I’ll letcha know but like... Yeah...

@Wrath0594 haha gotcha. I'm sure the matchmatching will catch up eventually. It seems to start over again in ranked. Theres a good Johnny on Reo's stream rn but it's Koth so yeah
I kinda came with the same questions as you, wanting advice on cage. I never see anyone pkaying him so im kinda having to just make shit up through trial and error/practice. Usually i steal pros tech and just copy combos and have a good time, iv actually had to put in work this time. Not even sure if what im doing is optimal. I still drop a lot of stuff, and mess up timing often. Corners especially after axe kick, my tjmjng seems to change often so i have to do a different combo to keep em in the air each time. Anyway any advice would be appreciated from anyone.

Also is it just me or does cages overheads wiff way too often when they should hit... bug maybe?

Last edited:
@WhooFlungPoo nice, not bad. Generally better to end combos in nutpunch unless you're zoning them then the one you have is good. Axe kick isn't really necessary in corner combos, just hit 2 4-6times while they're airborne followed by 121 np. NP will miss if they're below your shoulders when you start 121 so use that to know when to stop. If you wanna axe kick to make it easier just use one btw. Midscreen you can dash forward after mbnp and axe kick or standing 2 followed by f4 np. Online can be hard so I i just settle for dash f4 nutpunch and cut out the extra hit. You're a brave man for all those mercies lol. I ain't giving anyone the chance to comeback online. The low string seems to be working for now, once it stops you're gonna have to start poking more. I'm no pro though, far from it lol so take it with a grain of salt. Good luck out there

@WhooFlungPoo nice, not bad. Generally better to end combos in nutpunch unless you're zoning them then the one you have is good. Axe kick isn't really necessary in corner combos, just hit 2 4-6times while they're airborne followed by 121 np. NP will miss if they're below your shoulders when you start 121 so use that to know when to stop. If you wanna axe kick to make it easier just use one btw. Midscreen you can dash forward after mbnp and axe kick or standing 2 followed by f4 np. Online can be hard so I i just settle for dash f4 nutpunch and cut out the extra hit. You're a brave man for all those mercies lol. I ain't giving anyone the chance to comeback online. The low string seems to be working for now, once it stops you're gonna have to start poking more. I'm no pro though, far from it lol so take it with a grain of salt. Good luck out there
Bro, hearts are serious business lol

Here is another one where i think I reacted better. Was a much better back and forth. I stopped using shadow kick so much after this one. Killed a couple games for me I shoulda won. I like setting up the clothesline punch and mixing it with nut punch cancel. Once level 3 hits, its on baby! Really enjoying cage.

High level (lvl 54) clickbait

Last edited:

Wrath0594

Oh yeah, that’s a buff no one has mentioned that we legit need. Both of Cage’s jump kicks- short hop and neutral jump kick have absolutely no reach. They whiff people stand blocking in the corner.

Definitely needs to be addressed considering njks are a great way to cover multiple options: u3, roll out, and delayed wakeup. And short hop kick is our only overhead, and the only way it hits is by walking into your opponent before you shorthop.

Also are yall like me and just forget mime time is a thing? After playing as Liu, I’ve been using it sparingly to stuff wakeup attacks.

Last edited:
I kinda came with the same questions as you, wanting advice on cage. I never see anyone pkaying him so im kinda having to just make shit up through trial and error/practice. Usually i steal pros tech and just copy combos and have a good time, iv actually had to put in work this time. Not even sure if what im doing is optimal. I still drop a lot of stuff, and mess up timing often. Corners especially after axe kick, my tjmjng seems to change often so i have to do a different combo to keep em in the air each time. Anyway any advice would be appreciated from anyone.

Also is it just me or does cages overheads wiff way too often when they should hit... bug maybe?
Good stuff man, trying ending your midscreen combos, after amp np, dash cancel b2, f4 nutpunch then you start the mind games. @
Wrath0594 helped me with that, also if you do want to zone and max do 121 shadow

Im sort of like you, i just copy what the really good johnnys doing. now i finish b23 and f4 with amp forceballs just to scare them i see them do that all the time

Rizz091

Noob
They should add a crushing blow to caged rage that if you hit the unlockable, you get it.

Nut punch crushing blow should activate after hitting it a 3rd time this way you actually get some damage with it mid combo.

They should make a crushing blow with fisticuffs cause right now it ain't even worth using.

Full screen shadow kick should also be a crushing blow.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
They should add a crushing blow to caged rage that if you hit the unlockable, you get it.

Nut punch crushing blow should activate after hitting it a 3rd time this way you actually get some damage with it mid combo.

They should make a crushing blow with fisticuffs cause right now it ain't even worth using.

Full screen shadow kick should also be a crushing blow.
Yeah, there isn't much of a good reason to use Brass Knuckles right now unless you're going for the Brutality. The damage increase isn't worth the recovery time.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Starting to really favor using Johnny's 244 string over his F344. The execution window is a bit tighter, but its a lot better to have a string starting with an 8-frame rather than a 13-frame attack. And even if it doesn't come out, the 2 will stagger the opponent and give you some space to follow up with a D4

I'm just gonna say it. Johny Cage needs a buff. Most of KB suck ass. He's not plus as much. His forceball whiff way too much over the opponents head, most of his specials suck( his stunt doubles take a long time to come out, the forceballs whiff most the time, the brass knuckles last very little time and take a long time to start up, his camera move has absolute shit range, etc), mostly all of his moves start off as a high, the f4 whiffs a bunch even though it's a mid, his low starter is very unsafe, his D2 has crappy range as well.

Definitely needs a buff more than some characters that were mentioned. I think he needs a before anybody except Dvorah. Shao Khan and Kotal can at least hold their own.

I'm just gonna say it. Johny Cage needs a buff. Most of KB suck ass. He's not plus as much. His forceball whiff way too much over the opponents head, most of his specials suck( his stunt doubles take a long time to come out, the forceballs whiff most the time, the brass knuckles last very little time and take a long time to start up, his camera move has absolute shit range, etc), mostly all of his moves start off as a high, the f4 whiffs a bunch even though it's a mid, his low starter is very unsafe, his D2 has crappy range as well.

Definitely needs a buff more than some characters that were mentioned. I think he needs a before anybody except Dvorah. Shao Khan and Kotal can at least hold their own.
It's not that it whiffs. If you throw it out often in sequence and the guy catches on, you have to wait for him to poke, attempt a fatal blow, etc. You have to grab a lot so he isn't just ducking and crouching everytime you advance. Cage Rage actually works well sometimes instead of grabbing, because they think you're going to check them again with F4 or F3. But I still don't know how the charges work. Sometimes I throw it out 3 times and it still isn't charged fully.
But I agree with you. I got hate mail yesterday from a Cassie player saying how bad I was as I lost 3-0 in a ranked set. I tried to explain to this person the problems that Cage faces in a nice way. He proceeded to insult me, and claim that Cage is "top tier", and all the best players use him. A blatant lie. Obviously he never used Johnny as expected.
Sore losers are one thing, but the amount of "sore winners" on this game is unreal. Even if you lose they still get mad. Seriously, if I or anyone else makes you struggle with Johnny Cage, then you're just getting completely outplayed. There's no reason why Sub Zero, Scorpion, etc should be losing to me.

Wrath0594

No. League’s stronger than Shao or Kotal.