What's new

MK11 female designs are... extremely underwhelming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
This is exactly the kind of outdated, sexist mentality that’s finally starting to change.

“Men = tough, women = eye candy” is decades out of date.
It's a bold statement calling me sexist, without even knowing me really.
Let me also make a bold statement without knowing you: Knowing myself I'm pretty sure I'm more respectful towards women than you are.

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
Do we suspect they will release some better skins post launch? I kind of do. They did it for X I don't see why they wouldn't here. I understand and appreciate a lot of the female designs in the game (Kitana, Jacqui, and Frost are amazingly done) but there just seems to be a lack of charm where it should be. Characters like Cassie and Skarlet are meant to, personality and by THEIR preference, not give a shit about you and probably not take fights seriously since they're both ridiculously strong. It would be like putting Sheeva in the game and decking her out in full plate armor like Siegward of Catarina.

podizzler3000

http://streamable.com/ti5z
arguing about the practicality of the costumes IRL fighting and warfare is the most ridiculous thing about this debate. I do think the term 'idealized' is so much better to use since it doesnt trigger people as hard as sexualized does. no need to get emotional about it or hurl insults.

My only hope now is that the modding community saves these bland female designs. I love my female characters but I think I’m gonna main one of the guys this time. Kano with all of glorious manliness might be a good choice. At least his skins have “personality”. LUL

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
My personal take is that regardless of sexual orientation, EVERYONE likes looking at people they find attractive. The thing is we are all attracted to different things. The girls and guys in MK 11 are ALL attractive, very attractive. Though some people might not like this style. of attractiveness.

This thread is bogged down in identity politics when the real point of this thread is "I do not like what I see, I want them to do it my way, that way I will like what I see". It is just people being selfish and complaining as their specific tastes are not catered to. That is what I think anyway.

I can not see any difference between this thread and one saying "Why is Frost in this game, why not Ashrah" or "I like anime, MK should be drawn like dragonball z style".

This entire argument boils down to that, imo... people thinking they have some right over others to have their tastes represented.

Male characters:
  • be powerful
  • be muscular
  • flex those muscles, boi
Female characters:
  • be sexy
  • be beautiful
  • show some skin
This is exactly the kind of outdated, sexist mentality that’s finally starting to change.

“Men = tough, women = eye candy” is decades out of date.
While I find much of Krankk's posts to be crazy talk.. it should be noted that “Men = tough, women = eye candy” is not what he said at all.

These characteristics are sexual ideals for men, ones that most men couldn't hope to live up to. They are just as unattainable versions of sexual identity as anything girls have.

Look at the new comic movies... Captian America, Aquaman, Superman etc etc.... those ARE sexual stero types... just masculine ones. I mean think of Thor 1 when he came out in low cut jeans sporting that body and both the girls went google eye'd at him... that would cause a riot if it had been a girl. This is hypocrasy, and I can see how it would annoy some people.

I think Kranakk is trying to point out that there is a double standard of what is acceptable at this point in time. Lou Kang for example running about shirtless sporting a six pack most men only dream off and those that have them need to starve, workout 6 hours a day AND also be handsome as fuck to begin with. This is no diffrent to Scarlet wearing a sexy bakini and showing a bod that requires tons of work to maintain as well as a lot of natural born genetics and being sexually alluring to those that are attracted to women.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
My personal take is that regardless of sexual orientation, EVERYONE likes looking at people they find attractive. The thing is we are all attracted to different things. The girls and guys in MK 11 are ALL attractive, very attractive. Though some people might not like this style. of attractiveness.

This thread is bogged down in identity politics when the real point of this thread is "I do not like what I see, I want them to do it my way, that way I will like what I see". It is just people being selfish and complaining as their specific tastes are not catered to. That is what I think anyway.

I can not see any difference between this thread and one saying "Why is Frost in this game, why not Ashrah" or "I like anime, MK should be drawn like dragonball z style".

This entire argument boils down to that, imo... people thinking they have some right over others to have their tastes represented.

While I find much of Krankk's posts to be crazy talk.. it should be noted that “Men = tough, women = eye candy” is not what he said at all.

These characteristics are sexual ideals for men, ones that most men couldn't hope to live up to. They are just as unattainable versions of sexual identity as anything girls have.

Look at the new comic movies... Captian America, Aquaman, Superman etc etc.... those ARE sexual stero types... just masculine ones. I mean think of Thor 1 when he came out in low cut jeans sporting that body and both the girls went google eye'd at him... that would cause a riot if it had been a girl. This is hypocrasy, and I can see how it would annoy some people.

I think Kranakk is trying to point out that there is a double standard of what is acceptable at this point in time. Lou Kang for example running about shirtless sporting a six pack most men only dream off and those that have them need to starve, workout 6 hours a day AND also be handsome as fuck to begin with. This is no diffrent to Scarlet wearing a sexy bakini and showing a bod that requires tons of work to maintain as well as a lot of natural born genetics and being sexually alluring to those that are attracted to women.
I agree with 95%, but Id like to point out, MK has historically had more diverse costumes. No one is asking to be specifically catered to. Just saying it sucks and discussing that we all noticed and hope for DLC skins.

Everything else you said, spot on. I wish we could end this thread now.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

Again the reason this is a false equivalency is that Liu Kang is based on a real person, Bruce Lee, who wasn’t overly-sexualized (which still didn’t prevent people from finding him attractive). But that’s the entire point, that I’m making several times, and is missed yet again here: that historically men haven’t had to be intentionally sexualized to be considered attractive on a wide scale in mainstream media.

In video games though, there has long been a trope that female characters must be deliberately sexualized via clothing, etc. in order to be considered attractive/desireable. The fact that it would even be controversial at all to have female characters in your game who are dressed well, but not provocatively, is proof of this. Absolutely no one complains when Liu Kang wears a jacket because everyone knows he was never intended to be overtly sexualized in the first place. We don't get 30-page threads about why LK is wearing a Gi or Jax suddenly has a heavy leather jacket and loose-fitting jeans instead of spandex pants.

Last edited:

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain

All of that is exactly how I feel and what I voice.
I had actually written the following reply to someone else, but I decided against sending it, since it's starting to feel as if we're running in circles:

You might not be sexist, but the idealisation you presented
Would you be fine with Liu Kang having a beer belly, love handles and being covered from head to toe? I wouldn't, because I've been programmed to have certain expections when it comes to people and characters in various forms of media.
I want Liu Kang to be a looker / a beefcake. I want him to be muscular and also be shirtless as often as possible to show his muscles off.
I want Chris Hemsworth to spend 2/3s of the day in the gym and only eat chicken, rice, brokkoli and all the steroids on the planet every 3 hours to look as close to comic book Thor as he can.

And I have certain expectations for female characters as well. The vast majority of normal people has pretty much the same expectations. Normal people want their female characters to be beautiful and sexy. And there is nothing wrong with that.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
You might not be sexist, but the idealisation you presented:

... this is.
It’s not sexist though, it’s a stereotype but stereotypes are there for a reason lol. They are mostly true, it’s why they exist. Sure there are exceptions to the rule but they are still largely the rule. Men want to be fit to get women, that’s the only purpose. Women want to be sexy to attract men, that’s the only purpose. It’s a natural mating instinct since the dawn of time. Or everyone would just walk around in baggy sweatpants 24/7 because it’s more comfortable.

I understand that we live in a time where “identity” is the main focus and social gender constructs and twitter memes tower above human nature and dna but calling that sexist is ridiculous imo.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Its unfortunate that this thread immediately veered off-course into people arguing about objectification when in reality a lot of the female character designs and general characterization are just bad, skin showing or otherwise.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Again the reason this is a false equivalency is that Liu Kang is based on a real person, Bruce Lee, who wasn’t overly-sexualized (which still didn’t prevent people from finding him attractive). But that’s the entire point, that I’m making several times, and is missed yet again here: that historically men haven’t had to be intentionally sexualized to be considered attractive on a wide scale in mainstream media.

In video games though, there has long been a trope that female characters must be deliberately sexualized via clothing, etc. in order to be considered attractive/desireable. The fact that it would even be controversial at all to have female characters in your game who are dressed well, but not provocatively, is proof of this. Absolutely no one complains when Liu Kang wears a jacket because everyone knows he was never intended to be overtly sexualized in the first place. We don't get 30-page threads about why LK is wearing a Gi or Jax suddenly has a heavy leather jacket and loose-fitting jeans instead of spandex pants.
Look, man, take time away. Dont respond in this thread any further. Youre supposed to be an administrator but youre full on exposing a questionable moral bias and arguing with a plethora of people explaining why youre wrong. Theres nothing wrong with being wrong but...539E76C7-C4A4-4346-A596-376EB9E15BBA.jpeg

Espio

Kokomo
It's a shame this topic always goes down such an awkward direction especially since the OP's critique isn't affiliated with political overtones. I suspect THE DLC skins will knock it out the park. I would like a redone UMK3 Jade plus a redone MK9 Jade. I like those costumes and they would add some nice variety.

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
It's a shame this topic always goes down such an awkward direction especially since the OP's critique isn't affiliated with political overtones. I suspect THE DLC skins will knock it out the park. I would like a redone UMK3 Jade plus a redone MK9 Jade. I like those costumes and they would add some nice variety.
And MKD Jade with the Twin Tails
Thats the OG look

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Yeah, her bun and purple staff was her BEST look.

I want Cassie's workout gear, or her tux, whichever.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Can we get a casual clothes pack pls? Just one? Characters like Jade are always shown to be regal and shizz, I just want a skin where she looks like she's just making a quick morning run to Wal-Mart. Her staff could just be one of those long dividers you use at the checkout line to keep your groceries separated. C'mon, NRS, I'm giving you these for free.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
The reality is that no matter which side of this debate you're on, had NRS made a variety of costumes, both modest and revealing, we wouldn't even be having this conversation because everyone would have been happy -- which is especially baffling with "customization" being at the forefront of their marketing from the onset.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
I reported every comment that led this discussion south before my replies came in. I was simply replying to a common theme of, “wanting women to have varied costumes means you want to be able to masturbate to fiction, therefore youre a lesser human.” Also, addressing, “men without shirts, even some with short pants, with unrealistic bf% for the everyman, insane muscle mass, that crotch buldge we all wish we had, devilishly handsome facial features, with deep smooth vocals and a mean streak a mile wide is not the same as women with cute tops, firm breasts, round rear, flat stomachs, beautiful faces, sulty voice, and kickass combat skills from training and dedication.” Like tell me why. Neither has to be sexual, but both can be and they are the same. You just dont see men and women as equals, thats all.

Also, costume variety for Sub-Zero, Cassie, Jade, Skarlet, Jacqui, Sonya, Cetrion, Kitana, Mileena, and Frost are all very similar. Most of them feel restricted by their need for a “mature” presentation, but that doesnt mean they HAVE to show more skin to be more varied or interesting, just that its okay to want that and it WOULD provide more options if that is a factor in their design choices.

Personally, I want the Umk3 Skins for Jade and Kitana, and maybe make one for Skarlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.