What's new

MK11 Costume Concept Art Found In The The Krypt!

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
View attachment 14660
Why didn’t we get the bottom row second design for Kitana.....
View attachment 14660
Why didn’t we get the bottom row second design for Kitana.....
Top row: 2nd and especially 4th. The head piece looks so extravagant and menacingly beautiful. She looks like a revanent boss instead of the revanent pawn we got in game.
Bottom row: The 2nd for long hair and modernized classic look and the 5th for the hood. The navy blue looks like a proper evolution from baby blue instead we got the ugly black and royale blue stripes. I bet the artist mentality was like "Well she is a royale princess, it only makes sense to give her ROYAL blue".
I really really hope some of those will make it in DLCs. They look beautiful and especially creative. I’m not sure why Cassie got an astronaut suit when she could have gotten any of these. And Jacqui? STUNNING yo. I’d pay for a DLC pack of those.

View attachment 14407
View attachment 14408
View attachment 14409
View attachment 14410

So they saw this concept art and said ‘nah let’s go more boring, like Andromeda boring.’ I’m mad.
I love the hairstyles in Jacqui's concepts. Its so 90s yet modern about it. On the top row: the 2nd for that spectacular sillhuiate of the red dress and robot arms and 3rd for the black dress. I'm happy that the 4th made it into the game, the design is the best in mk11. Bottom row: 2nd for the cute red shirt that says Briggs. K Jacqui looks good in red :p
Cassie: I like the sillouette of the 3rd one, a lot better than that oversized collar we got in the game.
Jade: Tbh I already like Jades in game design in MK11 but if I had to pick, the 2nd for that "high-set tight french braid". Its a timeless hairstyle.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I really really hope some of those will make it in DLCs. They look beautiful and especially creative. I’m not sure why Cassie got an astronaut suit when she could have gotten any of these. And Jacqui? STUNNING yo. I’d pay for a DLC pack of those.

View attachment 14407
View attachment 14408
View attachment 14409
View attachment 14410

So they saw this concept art and said ‘nah let’s go more boring, like Andromeda boring.’ I’m mad.
I'd absolutely use the left Cassie skin over the other two skins she has there, and I like the other two.

SamZ

Noob
So, Did NRS completely outsource the concept designs for MK11? It seems in the past they have had in house artists working on designs, that was just my perception though.

Blazeglory88

50/50 Savant - Lore>Gore
Blame Steve Beran. "Creative" Art Director my ass. He's the reason your darling Cassie got the garbage Mass Effect style space suits. Looking through all the concept arts of the past games had me go "not bad but I like what we got".
With MK11 it's "WHY THE FUCK DIDNT WE GET THAT?!". :(

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I think part if the reason the concept art looks so good is that it's easier to make the characters more expressive with hand drawn art.

Couple that with the animation and a huge concern about staying conservative, you are stuck with some of the most bland looking MK characters this decade.

Last edited:

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
There should be an employee at Nrs to say that " i think we should use one of these kickass designs to be the main skin of this character " instead of all stupid Cassie designs or my main Kabal's super lame hair for example. Nrs please do not accept the first damn offer about the main character skins or designs. Think about it. Check every simple designs that you have. Especially these kind of badass ones. i have Kabal's concept art too, you can't imagine how he looks so badass with the long dirty hair and different masks.. never used in the game by Nrs, of course.. and again why Nrs ? Why ?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I think part if the reason the concept art looks so good is that it's easier to make the characters more expressive with hand drawn art.

Couple that with the animation and a huge concern about staying conservative, you are stuck with some of the most bland looking MK characters this decade.
I feel like most costumes have too many parts, like the ones who look great have a lot of detail, but don't have 20 thousand layers. Some of them are overcomplicated for nothing.

trufenix

bye felicia
Blame Steve Beran. "Creative" Art Director my ass. He's the reason your darling Cassie got the garbage Mass Effect style space suits. Looking through all the concept arts of the past games had me go "not bad but I like what we got".
With MK11 it's "WHY THE FUCK DIDNT WE GET THAT?!". :(
You know Steve has been art director since like MK1, right?

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I feel like most costumes have too many parts, like the ones who look great have a lot of detail, but don't have 20 thousand layers. Some of them are overcomplicated for nothing.
They do that with the patterns too. Kitana has all sorts of extra lines and edges in her patterning and it makes some outfits look a little busy. I mean she's rocking weird shoulder and half capes too and it's just so silly to me

I agree it can be busy and distracting.

Blazeglory88

50/50 Savant - Lore>Gore
You know Steve has been art director since like MK1, right?
Yeah I do he's one of the last few OG's still with MK. So than what changed to suddenly create what are some of the most uninspired least risky and unique costume ideas to date in an MK game? WB brow beating the artists from on high to appease the twitter journalists who never touch the game anyway. Who knows, but we aren't getting the better concept art pieces as costumes or any throwback MKD/MK9/10 costumes anytime soon. Whether thats due to steves more PC approach to costume design or the WB suits trying to save face its a shame either way.