What's new

MK1 Tier List Discussion Thread

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
So from what I understand; Johnny, Homelander, Sindel, Nitara, and Tanya are the new top 5?
Swap Nitara for Ashrah, and yeah, pretty much. Followed by Liu Kang, Nitara, Mileena, Kenshi (yes, he is stil a VERY good character) and Reiko, for the remaining top 10, in no particular order. Maybe swap Nitara for Kitana in that top 10 spot as well, not sure yet.

kabelfritz

Warrior
View attachment 21875

My take on the current state of the game.
this might work as relative tier list, but traditionally S-tier is borderline broken while c-tier can barely win anything. this is not the case in mk1's current state (id put pre-patch homelander in s for example, who was in fact bugged), in an absolute tier list id put everyone between a+ and b for this game. and i also disagree with sub in low tier. he has one of the stronger neutrals in the game and straight 50/50 launchers, the only thing putting him in place is his damage scaling and thats fine imo, his balancing feels pretty right.

Trini_Bwoi

Warrior
Tanya is approaching 'annoying to fight so S tier' territory. Sindel is out here putting you in blenders, doing easy HTB setups, doing insane damage, regenerates Kameo faster than any other character and is also one of the best zoners in the game. There's no way these characters are in the same tier. Sindel should be in a tier of her own with maybe only Johnny with her.

D

Deleted member 5032

I still don't see how Tanya keeps being ranked so high. Besides f211 being a great string, what's she got that literally every other character doesn't have now? Her non-FB damage is rather low (I play Tanya/Kano and cap out around 38% 1-bar). Has she even made a blip in any competitive events?

Blakfellow

Dojo Trainee
View attachment 21859

This is my personal opinion on the beginning of year 2s meta, through the lens of someone who has played 95% online with about a 2 month break, but mostly consistent since launch.

Also, we've had a lot of BEEF about the naming of Tiers, so I tried to make it clear and poignant for anyone reading it.
Looks pretty decent but I think you have scorpion way too low as well as home lander

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I still don't see how Tanya keeps being ranked so high. Besides f211 being a great string, what's she got that literally every other character doesn't have now? Her non-FB damage is rather low (I play Tanya/Kano and cap out around 38% 1-bar). Has she even made a blip in any competitive events?
Tanya is frequently used in competitive events. She’s probably picked at least as frequently as Sindel.

Her footsies are insane, she has great mobility, insane armour, decent full screen zoning, good plus frames, great stagger; and every combo ends in a pressure situation.

rifraf

Dojo Trainee
Smoke has been yo-yoing the tier lists since launch, mine included. But since the game has been out for some time now, I fully agree he's a low tier character. The only reason I'd put him ahead of the likes of SZ and Havik is due to his seemingly endless gimmick bag and the ways he can trick you. He's an actual wizard since all his tools are smoke and mirrors with no substance.

He used to be my first main back in MK9, and although I accept this is a new game and characters play differently, I still think Smoke's design is just very poor and doesn't work that well. He looks amazing in action though, 100%. But he's trash.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Goated mid string, impossible to make whiff once she gets buff up (which charges ridiculously fast), plus on block armored launcher, the best d1 special in the game with spin kicks and ex teleport, great stagger with f2 and 12.

Baconlord

I present the current official baconlord rankings for characters and kameos. I leaned on the side of the hot take when doing tie breakers so hopefully this list is interesting. Also why is nobody here posting kameo tier lists?

Trini_Bwoi

Warrior
Goated mid string, impossible to make whiff once she gets buff up (which charges ridiculously fast), plus on block armored launcher, the best d1 special in the game with spin kicks and ex teleport, great stagger with f2 and 12.
So what you're saying is she needs to use meter, do degenerate things like D1 into special or armor when negative, and she needs a kameo to keep her safe while she plays like a sicko. The real top tiers of MK1 don't play like this, there is a clear gulf between Sindel and Tanya that should be represented by different tiers

Baconlord

So what you're saying is she needs to use meter, do degenerate things like D1 into special or armor when negative, and she needs a kameo to keep her safe while she plays like a sicko. The real top tiers of MK1 don't play like this, there is a clear gulf between Sindel and Tanya that should be represented by different tiers
D1 special is really good in this game. Like every character that can do d1, special, ambush reliably and be plus has been top tier. Tanya, cage, pre patch Raiden, baraka, and rain when he had old cyrax all abused that shit. Getting offense of a blocked poke in a game where 90% of characters are just doing strike throw is an insane tool. Plus on block armored launchers she be obvious why it's good, I don't know why you're acting like those 2 options aren't good enough to make a character top tier. Tanya is also a premium ferra abuser. she's easily top 5 right now

Baconlord

Is Takeda really that bad? I have no idea, I haven't played the character yet.
He's got a dogshit strike throw game, no good mid, the worst reversal in the game, kunai setups are ass, and he's got no good way to keep himself safe. I'd be shocked if he has any matchup better then 5-5.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
Can anyone explain to me Kitana's positioning?

I do understand that she's good, and has good neutral / zoning etc, but to place her on S seems too far fetched. I'd place her mid - low A. I wish she got more sauce with her windbomb setups.

kabelfritz

Warrior

I do understand that she's good, and has good neutral / zoning etc, but to place her on S seems too far fetched. I'd place her mid - low A. I wish she got more sauce with her windbomb setups.
her advancing mid (b2?) string is a rarity in the cast and pretty damn good. just re-labbed her recently and found a gap in that string though, i was super sure there was none earlier.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!

She has very good footsies, great damage, good zoning, hard to blockable specials. With ferra she gets plus launching armour, and can add a gapless, launching overhead at any point in her strings. In the corner, she gets high damage into unblockable setups. She’s a very very strong character.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
She has very good footsies, great damage, good zoning, hard to blockable specials. With ferra she gets plus launching armour, and can add a gapless, launching overhead at any point in her strings. In the corner, she gets high damage into unblockable setups. She’s a very very strong character.
Very valid points brought up. Although, I don't look at her from a cameo standpoint, I see her a full character.

Her B2 even though is extremely good, can be outspaced, full string has a gap, and so do the rest of her strings.

If she's that good, why aren't we seeing her in more tournaments? I find Ashrah to be a better Kitana. Kitana has to play super patient most of the time to win, whereas other characters have more sauce, and dirt. Plus, her windbomb setups aren't always working out / are always possible.

rifraf

Dojo Trainee
Can I ask why you have Kenshi clearly above Johnny and Sindel?
Even though Kenshi may be open to counterplay by being zoned out, his main setplay with sento is BS imo. It doesn't feel that it belongs in a game like MK1. There's no effective counterplay to it, you just have to guess or you die.

Comparing that to Johnny, as powerful and consistent as he may be, he doesn't have such a BS setplay where he forces the opponent to constantly guess or die. He is very oppressive, he probably has the best conversions in the game, he is a great character but I don't think he is BS. Same goes with Sindel, another very powerful character. She has great zoning, great setups up close, she is great everywhere actually but she is playing MK1, not MKX. Which is what I think when I see sento.

Overall, I think Kenshi is not as consistent as Johnny or Sindel but I put him there because his sento stance is not only very powerful, but it feels cheap and unfair to play against. At least to me. Because of this inconsistency, I could see him being 1 tier down which is probably more realistic.

Last edited:

Baconlord

Even though Kenshi may be open to counterplay by being zoned out, his main setplay with sento is BS imo. It doesn't feel that it belongs in a game like MK1. There's no effective counterplay to it, you just have to guess or you die.

Comparing that to Johnny, as powerful and consistent as he may be, he doesn't have such a BS setplay where he forces the opponent to constantly guess or die. He is very oppressive, he probably has the best conversions in the game, he is a great character but I don't think he is BS. Same goes with Sindel, another very powerful character. She has great zoning, great setups up close, she is great everywhere actually but she is playing MK1, not MKX. Which is what I think when I see sento.

Overall, I think Kenshi is not as consistent as Johnny or Sindel but I put him there because his sento stance is not only very powerful, but it feels cheap and unfair to play against. At least to me. Because of this inconsistency, I could see him being 1 tier down which is probably more realistic.
Saying Sindel is playing mk1 while Kenshi is playing mkx is a really good point if you ignore the existence of Sindel's hard to blockable vortex.