What's new

MK1 Story Spoilers Discussion

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
there's people on twitch even that have the game early baring their cleavage. it's right on the front page of this site even. isn't that a twitch violation?

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
Brother there are literally streams where chicks fart into microphones for donations and you think playing games with a cleavage on camera is prohibited
I was stating an inference for twitch streams. but it doesn't matter. the entire vanilla game is littered on youtube already spoiling it for people even in thumbnails likely if you've watched on trailer probably. It's one thing to seek things out or it be click-bait. Oh well.

Just got done watching the story mode

Honest opinion - it's more enjoyable than mk11, far more so. Still full of dumb shit moments like Jerrod just randomly assuming control over Ermac, people just standing there instead of attacking Quan while he's activating the soulnado, or Bi Haj being a total dick and edgelord for no reason whatsoever. But enjoyable regardless

Up until Chapter 13 or so it's 7.5 or even 8/10. Then they introduce that shit plot with multiple timeline and multiverse instead of constraining it to just the conflict between Liu and Shang timeline and the story goes to 3/10. the finale with absolute batshit insanity of character fusions sort redeems it back up to 6/10. And lastly you see the sequel or expansion bait ending and it goes down back to 3/10

The final chapter in general is extremely anticlimactic and gives an impression NRS have an Aftermath like add on planned already in advance as it doesn't feel like there was a "final boss" fight the way Kronika was in 11 or Super Shinnok in X or even Shao in 9

I guess we'll see what happens in a year from now but good god this narrative director needs to go because I'm legit afraid NRS will do another universe reset for the next game because of how many major plot points happened in 1 already. Like where do you even go from here?

R.E.D.

RedArcadeStick
Yeah yeah i know it's just a name but how is this game even MK"1" lol, it's clearly MK12 and the writers wrote themselves into the corner again just like MK11. Guess MK13 it'll be Titan Liu vs the cast of Fast & Furious vs Marvel vs DC vs DBZ or whatever. It has some fun moments like the fusion shit, i give them that, tho they're fanfic-ish af. Overall 2/10 lmao.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
I really enjoyed the first half of the story. Like somebody else said, it just kind of lost me when it went full multiverse. Can we please for the love of FUCKING GOD leave this shit behind now? No revenants, no multiverse shite. I don’t wanna see any dupes/alternate versions of characters facing each other unless they’re a shapeshifter mimicking them. It’s just fucking lazy writing.

When it got to the Armageddon scene and seeing all the absolute travesty of designs for characters I was ready to lose my shit. But some of the fusions did make me laugh tbh, especially their names. So that brought it back a little for me.

I still really enjoyed it overall, but I would love to see these level of cinematics etc be used for a more grounded story, one that isn’t some multiversal/multi timeline threat. I guess the problem is where do you go from here really? Anything more grounded would feel like a step backwards for the average person who always wants the next thing to be bigger.

Side note: post credits scene was a bit lame. Don’t really care about some Kotal looking Titan Havik tbh

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
If you pick Johnny as your Protagonist for the final chapter, he literally makes a funny remark when Kitana decapitates Cassie LMAO

Other than what people already said about multiverse stuff being played out and lazy, I think I'm just a little sad that I was expecting a fairly grounded, stripped-down martial arts feel with lower stakes, maybe some political intrigue with Outworld and the Lin Kuei, and ended up with a bloated, galactic-scale mishmash of the same-ol-same-ol hourglass BS. I really felt like the timeline reset was a good opportunity to tell a really tight story that was more focused, and for most of the story it was that, but I guess they couldn't resist letting it fly off the rails into superhero comic book land. I dunno, I actually liked it more than what I just said implies, but I wish they had just played through the remainder of the Outworld conflict and the Sub Zero stuff and let the outcomes of those things be more or less the climax.

I do like what they did with Ermac though. Cool that he's an actual person for once.

R.E.D.

RedArcadeStick
I take back what i said about liking the fusion stuff, welp, tbh i still think it's kinda fun, but fuck that shit, fuck it, that thing is some serious mugen shit, and i've seen better fan made mk mugen char. Maybe if the devs didn't name them something like "Stung Lao" it would've been a little bit better, who knows? But imo it's just wacky af.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Does this thread allow SPOILERS? It doesn't say so in the title so not sure if I can talk about the story in a spoiler way?

If it does allow spoilers maybe it should be renamed and a "story speculation" thread created for spoiler free discussion.

This is a common set up on movie and TV show forums. 2 threads. Spoiler and Spoiler free so people know exactly what they are getting into when clicking.

EDIT : thank thread title says spoilers now. Thanks.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Idk about anyone else, but it was predictable to me that Titan Shang Tsung was posing as fake Kronika. Obviously not at first, but over time it seemed like the most likely explanation especially given the two endings from MK11 Aftermath. So it being a “surprising twist” was more like “yeah… kinda figured”.

First half like most feel was pretty well done. I was hoping that choosing your fighter at the end had more impact. Like you unlocked something rare for that character or something, but it’s basically a “who is your favorite character and who do you want to finish the game using with nothing extra or mo meaning behind it whatsoever”.

The DBZ Fusion fighters were cool to see, but the after credit scene was just… odd. I guess it makes sense why Havik was the story unlockable now since apparently in either UMK1 or MK2, this alt timeline Havik will be the new bad guy.

Sorry my thoughts are all over the place, but so was the story. If Titan Shang wanted to take over or merge Liu Kangs era/timeline, why would he give Quan Chi and Shang their powers, only to betray them in the end? I can’t even remember what their part was other than gathering the souls. But did he really need them for that? He essentially just created more obstacles and the element of surprise. He could’ve done so many things much smarter and more strategic, and he’s apparently lived for Eons and that was the best he could come up with? It’s like all he really did was confuse Liu Kang and basically prank him, lol.

Obviously there’s probably stuff I wasn’t paying full attention to, but there was a death in the family so my mind was preoccupied the entire time.

Anyway, on a positive note, all the alt skins were pretty dope. Some better than others of course. Also, what’s with some of the characters having insanely large noses? There were several but Rain and Quan Chi immediately come to mind. Just looks… weird aesthetically to me.

It’s funny how much of a jobber Ermac was. He was introduced as this insane creation and then just kept getting bodied after his “I am Groot” line of “We are many, you are but one”. Wish someone would’ve said “yeah yeah we get it, no one cares”, lol.

Anyway, hopefully I’ll get some time in Invasion mode and training mode, but family is far more important right now.

Overall the story mode gets a 7/10. Even though there was a lot of questionable decisions, I enjoyed it and was entertained. Most stories in shows or movies typically start to fall off at the end, especially grandiose ones like MK1. But I will say that I told y’all so about taking everything Boon says with a grain of salt. Dude lied to everyone about MK1 being completely its own thing and having nothing to do with MK11 or any of the past games. Of course we know why he said that, didn’t wanna give anything away, but he could’ve just not said that at all, idk. Still a bunch of questions but yeah, that’s all I got for now.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I just completed the story mode.... here are my thoughts.... I hate to say it, but a lot of it is not positive.

Criticism
  1. Fake Kronica was a real bullshit letdown. I was super disappointed she was a fake out. Liking her (which I do) or not has nothing to do with it. Fake outs are up there with "it was all a dream" as one of my most hated narrative deceives. Lame. Lame for that, as well as the fact I wanted it to be Kronica
  2. The Mileena disease thing was stupid. I liked the idea of it, but I think it was handled terribly. Having her a kind of werewolf that could transform was dumb. They never explained why some turn feral so quickly and others seem to be cool with it. Oh yeah they hung a lantern on it.. Baraka will turn eventually... but it was a huge plot hole. The idea of a disease was great but imo handled so badly. Having it just turn on and off like that was silly. Partially as they made a big deal of how rare the serum was and how Shang had only just perfected it.
  3. Kenshi being stabbed in the skull and surviving was also ridiculous. Particularly as we see Mileena have the exact same thing happen to her but kill her later on. There could have been a bazillion ways to blind him that made sense.
  4. There is no argument now. MK1 has toned down the gore from MKx and MK11 by massive amounts. It is not even close. Good, bad, that is a personal taste, but anyone saying it is not toned down is either a fanboy, a lies or blind. IMO, I really missed the gore. I like it in my films, books and games. it was sorely missed. Well, missed by me at least.
  5. Just kill them. This is a problem I see in a lot of media, particularly franchise media. In this game each fight ends with someone being beaten and then a lot of less than creative reasons why they Don't just kill them. thet entire film could have been real quick if they killed people. The multiverse thing really meant no one needed to be saved, they could have killed anyone. it is just lazy writing. Quan needed to be questioned... Shang needed to be questioned... Quan slips away... and more... it was just getting comedic.
  6. Nitara had the worst voice acting in a computer game I have heard in a LONG time. She was so unbelievably bad I am convinced they cut her dialogue. She ended up only some a small handful of lines. It is no suprise she is a terrible actress in live action, so there is no reason to think it would be different in voice acting. Still, they could have got any random female from the animation pool and done better. What a colossal downer and we still have to suffer through all her fight dialogue in vs. It is such a shame as her actual combat is so fun and viable.... as for me I would be very hard pressed to play her as the voice is so annoying.
  7. Did I forget something? Why was classic Jax with the bad guys at the end? He even was in the post credit sequence.
  8. As an audience, I do not think we need to take sides. We should be allowed to play badguy chapters. You see tis a lot in one dimensional storytelling. bad guys have all this power, and we are supposed to dear them but get their asses kicked every single time they meet the heroes. The MK story mode should have chapters were we play as the bad guys and they wrack up some wins.
  9. I loved seeing evil Sindel beat everyone arse in that nod to the infamous MK9 scene. Realy gave me a chuckle.
Praise

1. Technically, the game was fantastic. No 3D animation that is not cartoonish can escape the uncanny valley, but despite some freakish moments it looks amazing. The faces and face expression were just fantastic..... for the most part.
  2. Quan's entry was boss level. I am so glad I avoided spoilers... that was just awesome. Once that reveal happened, I kinda expected Ermac... but that was also great.
  3. Ermacs entire story I enjoyed a lot. I also think the bad render, or w.e of the Kombat pack trailer did him no jsutice. he looked fantastic.
  4. The skins on display in story mode really blew my mind. The "good / clean" stuff of core set, (Kang's good timeline) makes sense. Anyone in those hate threads about the skins should, now, just shut the fuck up. The evil threads they wore rocked and anyone who has looked at the store or played some invasion can atest that the skins are the tip of the iceberg. I just loved seeing the badass skins and can't wait to acquire them.
  5. I found the "mixed" abilities at the end to be fascinating. Makes me think that all the abilities are programmed like variations and can be mixed and matched at will. I expect to see more combinations in invasion. I suspect that a fighter creation system will be in the next game. It was just cool to fight a SubZero throwing Quan skulls or w/e.
  6. Kitana killing all the combat kids from MKx was dope. Hahah.... I played Sindel at the end so not sure if there was unique dialogue but she even congratulated her!
  7. Ashara was badass, even the moment she was on screen she stole the entire show. As the game was so separated into sections it sucked she was not around for longer. Other people had moments to shine, but Sindel and Ashara owned this story mode as playable.
  8. Shang was amazing in this game. Everything about him rocked. The actor owned that roll and they way he projected character form facial expressions to how he stood and moved as artful. Ashara was boss, but this was Shang's game.
  9. The voice acting, apart from one.. you know of whom I speak, was astounding. voice actors. I wish big stupids started to realise it is a different talent. These guys and gals absolutely killed it.
Final Thoughts

I actually preferred MK11's story. I liked the Armagedon ending a lot, but I felt there needed an epic cap after that. The final Kronica battle in MK11 felt much more like a conclusion and satisfying final scene. For while the Armageddon thing was so great, for me the battle at the very end with Shang and Quan felt unsatisfying. MK11 felt more like a traditional film with traditional film beats. Also the great Kronica Fatality at the end is a standard "bad guy bites it" thing you see in many fantasy movies. MK1 just didn't have the cap that clicked with me.

If you can be bothered to find it around here, just after the announcement of MK1, before we even knew the name, back when a new game was just speculation (at the latest after the clock trailer but before we knew anything). I 100% predicted the split universe thing. I got it exactly right, even saying that every tower ending was real and that each 'grain of sand" was a new universe. I should have made a video with a moronic thumbnail and claimed it was a spoiler and used my guess to con nrs fans and make money lol

Even so there is a lot to like, even love here. I'm in no way saying I didn't like it or that it is terrible. Giving critiques can sound like negativity, and I do not think that is the same thing. Also, I am very keen for story dlc, which I'm absolutely expecting,

I'm very happy with this game and its story... even if Sindel wasn't evil by the end of it.

First half like most feel was pretty well done. I was hoping that choosing your fighter at the end had more impact. Like you unlocked something rare for that character or something, but it’s basically a “who is your favorite character and who do you want to finish the game using with nothing extra or mo meaning behind it whatsoever”.
I chose Sindel, and it seemed there was specific dialogue that would not make sense coming out the mouth of another. I have not run those chapters again, but it also felt like some of the match ups were for her. Like, did Kitana fight with you? Did you fight Shao Khan? I may be wrong, but there could be some content variance here.
It’s funny how much of a jobber Ermac was. He was introduced as this insane creation and then just kept getting bodied after his “I am Groot” line of “We are many, you are but one”. Wish someone would’ve said “yeah yeah we get it, no one cares”, lol.
I touched on this in my own post after finishing. We should have chapters form the bad guys side of it. We should have played as Shang or Rain and stuff. It feels stupid when the big bad guys just get owned constantly. I mean we gota see them get some wins to make them the scary bad guys they are supposed to be. When Ermac appeared... we should have played him and beaten the shit out of everyone.

Dude lied to everyone about MK1 being completely its own thing and having nothing to do with MK11 or any of the past games. Of course we know why he said that, didn’t wanna give anything away, but he could’ve just not said that at all, idk. Still a bunch of questions but yeah, that’s all I got for now.
It is 100% a direct sequel.... I liked he kept the secret and maybe it will shut the fuck up all the "reboots are the devil" crap we saw in so many early posts decrying the reset. It is actually a cleaver way of continuing the direct story but still getting a much needed reset to refresh the story lines and discard long built up and cumberson backstories.

Last edited:

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
They just pluck random ideas from the 3d era games, rip them apart, crap on them, reshape them, then add them into the story. And people watch it and say “wow what a cool homage to the 3d era. We definitely don’t need those stories retold anymore, they did such a good job representing them here”.

A fight on a pyramid and Shao saying the word “Armageddon” doesn’t make it Armageddon.

The dragon army and a damashi namedrop doesn’t make it Deception. “Emperor Ying’s dragon army” btw, lol. (Raiden, Shang and Quan doing the beams was a cool reference though)

Shang and Quan teaming up doesn’t make it Deadly alliance, but at least that one is more focused on. Also holy god, Quan’s new voice is terrible.

I’m disappointed that we might never get those stories redone in a cool way now. Instead we get a middle of the road plot with dumb contrivances and then multiverse bs to top it off. I enjoyed it more than MK11 but it was definitely anticlimactic.

Toruko61

Noob
Mortal Kombat had always weird power levels, but the titan versions should easily slap all non-titan characters.

Was kinda difficult to recognize other/bad jobber titans.