What's new

MK1 Story Spoilers Discussion

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Dunno.. You can choose to jump to the chapter now so just try it again.. I would but so much else to do. Will try latter.

Side note.. How funny was the 'kameo" Jonny Cage comment at the very end of story mode hahaha. Cage was funny as fuck in this one.

I first did it as Smoke and then Sun Zero, some of the fights are different, some are the same. I think the combo characters are just randomly generated. My favorite so far has been chick Quan-Li

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The story was interesting until the reveal of who was plotting everything.

The moment they revealed the second shang tsung, everything happened way too fast and wasn't given enough time to mature, it ruined the immersion for me and shit just started happening

Before that point they were into something trully great, they could really not wrapp this quick and let the rest of the story for a sequel, but the rush really ruined imo.

They just pluck random ideas from the 3d era games, rip them apart, crap on them, reshape them, then add them into the story. And people watch it and say “wow what a cool homage to the 3d era. We definitely don’t need those stories retold anymore, they did such a good job representing them here”.

A fight on a pyramid and Shao saying the word “Armageddon” doesn’t make it Armageddon.

The dragon army and a damashi namedrop doesn’t make it Deception. “Emperor Ying’s dragon army” btw, lol. (Raiden, Shang and Quan doing the beams was a cool reference though)

Shang and Quan teaming up doesn’t make it Deadly alliance, but at least that one is more focused on. Also holy god, Quan’s new voice is terrible.

I’m disappointed that we might never get those stories redone in a cool way now. Instead we get a middle of the road plot with dumb contrivances and then multiverse bs to top it off. I enjoyed it more than MK11 but it was definitely anticlimactic.
if you wanna see a philospohical meaning in it, it might be about the idea that there are some inescapabele, fate-like things that are eventually bound to happen, no matter what way leads there. like the armageddon tower or the deadly alliance. but then that idea isnt fleshed out THAT much either and also surrounded by tons of overused hollywood cheese. story wasnt better than mid to me, but well, i was able to enjoy the final chapter once i embraced chaos xD.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Watched the whole story on youtube.
Overall really great
  • Love the reimagining of the characters' backstory
  • Callbacks to previous games
  • So glad Kronika wasn't the boss again
- Multiverse trope is just abusive at this point even if it got them to really go ham with the character mixing at the end.

I'd like to see a MK story but from the perspective of the villain, like Infinity Wars style, that is contained to one universe.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I chose Sindel, and it seemed there was specific dialogue that would not make sense coming out the mouth of another. I have not run those chapters again, but it also felt like some of the match ups were for her. Like, did Kitana fight with you? Did you fight Shao Khan? I may be wrong, but there could be some content variance here.
Yeah you’re probably right about who you pick in the end determines some of the people you fight. Because as Smoke, I fought against Robot Smoke and he played liked Smoke but had his classic stomach spear which was so fkn cool and I definitely didn’t expect him to have that. And he was called “LK7T2” instead of Smoke.

Not into the whole multiverse thing. As it takes away from the connection you have with your favorite characters. At most having one other "world" is fine but not when there are hundreds.

One other thing is Shang Tsung absolutely killed it! The voice actor, facial capture / animations was some of the best I've ever seen or heard. Great job on that!

The moment they revealed the second shang tsung, everything happened way too fast and wasn't given enough time to mature, it ruined the immersion for me and shit just started happening

Before that point they were into something trully great, they could really not wrapp this quick and let the rest of the story for a sequel, but the rush really ruined imo.
Lowkey.... They should've kept Shang/Kronika in the shadows until the very last moment or even retain that storyline for the sequel or expansion, make the whole story a sort of "murder mystery" instead as Liu, Geras and the rest try to figure out who's messing with the timeline. That'd be so much more interesting that the timeline clashes at the end

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Nitara voice acting.....fucking lol
It’s the worst voice acting from an actual actor/actress I’ve ever heard. At least with other terrible voice acting, like in those NBA games where some of the players do their own voices (and it’s awful), you can at least excuse it since they’re pro athletes with no acting experience whatsoever. But Megan Fox did a god awful job. And I was genuinely trying to like it or at least not mind it. But it’s so bad you can’t ignore it.

It’s clear NRS was just using her for promotion, just like Ronda. And clearly no one directed her, gave her feedback, or made her do multiple takes. I’d bet anything she did all her lines once, in 1 afternoon, then bounced. Wouldn’t even be surprised if she did that interview the same afternoon, lol.

I know she’s not a great actress and everything, but with her being an actual MK fan, I was expecting her to be at least tolerable. But nope. She didn’t try at all. She literally just read the lines like she was reading a book to herself or something, pathetic.

R.E.D.

RedArcadeStick
It’s funny how much of a jobber Ermac was. He was introduced as this insane creation and then just kept getting bodied after his “I am Groot” line of “We are many, you are but one”. Wish someone would’ve said “yeah yeah we get it, no one cares”, lol.
THIS! If he didn't job so much it'd be a little less annoying. But the dude literally said the same shit over and over again just to get beaten up numerous times. I literally said it out loud when i saw Ermac approaching Mileena: "bro just stfu already, no one gives a fuck".

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Also was I the only one getting severe audio issues in the story? It’s like when a character would do a move, the sound the move got isolated and all the other music and sound effects got really quiet. This was mainly in the last like 20% or so of the story. It was super distracting and annoying, but figured it was just something on my end.

It would have been better had it actually been Kronika, because once you have two Shangs, you stop giving a shit about either of them. Multiple versions make them all less essential.
This is ultimately my biggest complaint about it all. There was a twist, but it didn't add any impact, and somehow removed impact. Like all of a sudden, everyone's good, everyone's bad, Shang's bad, but only because he's being manipulated by...Shang. And for some reason everyone's all ready to just forgive and forget all the evil shit he willingly did and get him on the team because a different version of him told him it was cool to do. Also, we learn he called himself Damashi, but then just immediately turned around and was like "by Damashi, I mean Shang Tsung, who is me". Huh? By revealing an extra-evil, extra-strong version of the villain who you've known all game, and then solving that by just inserting extra-good, extra-strong versions of the existing good guys, it just nullifies both changes and now you have the original setup, but with arbitrarily higher power levels. And, if you're a newcomer expecting to come into a fresh MK like they've been saying, you especially don't give a shit, because you're takeaway is "so...the big twist is that rather than Shang being the bad guy, it's Shang? Just from some other timeline from a game I didn't play?"

I was so ready for this to play out like Shao looking for an excuse for a rebellion, Shang sowing seeds for that outcome by endearing himself to maybe already frustrated Outworld major players or calling Sindel's competence into question for allowing a Tarkat to almost assume the throne, and all of this coming to a head as a war between realms where it's unclear whether either side is really evil, with Sub Zero being the wildcard and having to ultimately decide which way he and the Lin Kuei would tip the scales. But by introducing this galactic-level threat at the last second, all that gamesmanship and intrigue just get thrown out the window because none of that shit matters in the face of the timeline being obliterated.

I'm so frustrated not because of how much I have a distaste for timeline shenanigans, but because I was really enjoying the way all the smaller-scale MK politics were playing out and felt like it was shaping up to be a really good starting place for MK and its worlds to evolve from into the future. I'm disappointed I didn't really get a conclusion to that story, and instead got yet another bloated multiverse fiasco.

Edit: I just realized I said effectively the same thing here as I did in my previous comment just in different words. Whatever, I'm frustrated enough I feel like I needed to say it twice in barely different ways.

Oh I almost forgot, why should I care about Evil Titan Havik? Weren't there a bunch of Evil Titans in the end fight that Shang found from other timelines that all got sonned along with Shang himself? Why is Havik any more powerful than any of them, or Shang for that matter?

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I really liked it. It was stupid as fuck, but that's a breath of fresh air after X and 11 took themselves waayyyyy too seriously. It was a fun ride, and I appreciate it for that.

I thought it was pretty funny how they pulled a Poochie with Baraka

Dude didn't even say goodbye or anything. Johnny just says "You're better off here in Outworld" and we never hear from him again lmao.

ItsOri

Noob

agreed generally. That last act felt abrupt and kinda frantic.

The outworld politics and tarkat arc were so good though.

projectzero00

nomnomnom
I genuinely tried to defend Fox's voice acting but after playing the game...you guys were right. Man oh man there's no excusing that. I think even Ronda's voice acting had more emotion (and I hated her voice) than this shit. And that's saying something. Poor Nitara.

The story was amazing at first. Then, It went to south really quick and lost all the appeal It had. Sindel death was the last good part of It.

Why the hell there's no Kitana chapter? She was totally forgetable in this games story mode. She was there, jobbing to earthrealm, and that's It. And then, we have chapters with 0 story progression, like Cage.

Tanya was not Tanya. She has Jade traits. I dont know what drugs they are using at NRS to actually call that Jade in yellow Tanya. She looks good, tho.

Johnny Cage is not working anymore. They're just trying to have their one liners like Marvel. and while It worked before, I'm tired of It. For gods sake, I totally hate Cage this time around.

Was nice seeing Baraka as a tough guy and not just a jobber. A shame that he just dissappears after his chapter.

And Nitara... well. I was wrong when I said that she didnt sound that bad in the trailer. She sounds bored, like she was checking her bank account for the payment while reading.

The best: story until Sindel death.

The worst: Nitara, Cage, notanya