What's new

MK1 Story Spoilers Discussion

I love Kronika's new redesign like a dark nun. I watched the full story mode. Unfortunately, it's revealed that the real Kronika is not in the game. In Mileena's Chapter, Titan Shang Tsung reveals the souls he collected were for Damashi, who reveals their true from, "Titan" Shang from MK11. Kronika is an image used by him. Geras tells Liu Kang that she can't be revived.

There is no real boss fight at the end and Onaga is not in the game. The final boss is Titan Shang Tsung and Quan Chi assists him.

The story is a mix of Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon. Shujinko is not in the story. Sareena has one line and Darrius has no lines in the story.

Multiverse of madness all over again.

In the post credit scene, Lord Havik is with three characters by his side, fusion ones, like Quan Chi has Sub-Zero powers, Tanya has Kitana powers and Kenshi has different powers. Everything ends with Lord Havik saying that next time, it won't end so fast.

There is no the 24th character in the story doesn't appear on the roster except for Ermac and Quan Chi. Maybe I think the 24th slot might be a new fighter you can create or combo skins from the final story or DLC. I'm not sure.

The story is great until the final chapter is bad and rushed. The game could have went much better if it was just a completely new story with different roles for the characters and had multiple games backing it up like Midway Era of MK, but they decided to not let go the time and universes for no reason. NRS is still obsessed with the time travel since MK9. :(

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
yeah, so, they kept the lore into the "comfort zone"

I think that NRS could try , next time, for MK2 , to use another writer, bring more fresh ideas, so, kinda , dismiss Dominic; I think he did enough so far, so, maybe time to try another way :laughing:

anyway, I sense that they will release a future DLC story expansion as they did with Aftermath for MK11 , so, maybe , a huge MAYBE, that can improve a bit some stuff here and there that, in MK1 story, had weak plot or underdeveloped conclusion, so ..... :D

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
yeah, so, they kept the lore into the "comfort zone"

I think that NRS could try , next time, for MK2 , to use another writer, bring more fresh ideas, so, kinda , dismiss Dominic; I think he did enough so far, so, maybe time to try another way :laughing:

anyway, I sense that they will release a future DLC story expansion as they did with Aftermath for MK11 , so, maybe , a huge MAYBE, that can improve a bit some stuff here and there that, in MK1 story, had weak plot or underdeveloped conclusion, so ..... :D
I agree with your sense.
This 100% feels like it is not the end.
Now that the Deadly Alliance and Pyramid Of Argus of it all have been tackled, you can build to the "real" conclusion with all the questions that remain.

Was there ANY context given to the old Tempest that was in Chaosrealm in Deception? Is it a relevant thing or was the stone never turned over?

JINNOCIDE

I only show up when a new game's around
I haven't see the story mode in its entirety yet but with all the talks here that it feels rushed or a part two is needed I fear that it may become the norm for a NRS game to have "story mode: part 1 and part 2" and they give us half the experience on purpose

oh well

Space Cadet

They shot our face, Johnny. They shot. Our FACE.
That'd be pretty scummy if that's their plan with story modes going forward, but it also wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Ok, but the storymode is not shorter or anything. They are not splitting the storymode in half so they can sell it again. It feels bad because it is bad, as have been all the ones before it. Scummy is what they did with Ermac and Quan Chi, both of whom were clearly meant to be playable but later moved to DLC. And having to pay extra for Shang Tsung if you don't pre-order is really scummy too.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I'm still going to be a TAD salty if there is not a 24th character or whatever they have up their sleeve. Cuz even after the DLC completes in April we wouldn't even have 30. and again it is odd to me they would have the new Kronika voice which is the same as Sheeva again from MK11 not be used for a year. They even use the cutscenes from MK11 when showing Kronika. At least in MK11 they re-did Raiden decapitating Shinnok. Oh well...I'm just ready to play it. It will still be at least exciting to see/experience it in 4k.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
NRS really did put an AI generator for the jobbers in the last chapter..

They had everything set up to be a new decent story all up until "Kronika is Damashi and Damashi is Titan Tsung". Even made Liu Kang drop his status as a Time Keeper so he can live a normal life along side everyone else, it had a great build up to make everything matter and they droped the ball pretty hard. Its fun tho, not gonna lie, but it made everything so... meaningless. It is very convinient tho, as it gives everyone, and not just NRS, an opportunity to make original stories that dont have to be necesarily tied together. Snowblind and the new Johnny Cage movie, even the new live action movie. And with this game, they all ARE connected which I do like and hate at the same time.

I just flat out don’t enjoy this story I gotta be real.

I mean I guess that should have been expected because Kuai isn’t Sub-Zero anymore and I don’t want to play as asshole Sub-Zero.

Also while I’m not a huge Scorpion fan I feel the whole putting Kuai with Harumi is also out of left field and kinda shits on Scorpion fans. Like in every timeline where she’s with Hanzo she dies, but she ends up with Kuai and it’s all good. Is that not kind of a slap in the face? Also how fhe hell did Kuai even meet Harumi. Also why is Hanzo now so much younger than everyone else?

This all kinda feels like a bad fanfic. Am I wrong for hating all of this? Seems like most people are liking this shit, but I am really not feeling it at all.

I haven't see the story mode in its entirety yet but with all the talks here that it feels rushed or a part two is needed I fear that it may become the norm for a NRS game to have "story mode: part 1 and part 2" and they give us half the experience on purpose

oh well
Let's be honest this is probably the best option for NRS to extend the game's lifespan since the competitive scene dies out rather quickly, they stopped doing esports, and half the DLC characters are guests nobody asked for

Benlo

PrayforSareena

The prices seem to be the same as in MK11 : 300 for a gear, probably 500 for a skin and 750 for an intro/outro/finisher.

As it's the only topic about leaks, here are the reward for 1st season of Invasion mode !

(14) Season 1 Alternate Skins & Gears : Mortalkombatleaks (reddit.com)

1 recolor + 1 new skin/gear for each character.
Actually I think they are all recolors, I noticed the second costume for each of the characters is the one from the last chapter of story mode, the "chosen one" costume. Unfortunately it seems to confirm sun-head Tanya is that costume for her lol

Also, looks like some characters have 4.000 coins costume, they probably have special properties like glows or different textures. Seems to me these are the most worthy, and I would also not get colors that don't match the character's theme, for example in this season I would get Liu, Scorpion and Tanya skins only, cause this looks like it will be a HUGE grind to obtain everything in a seasonal shop lol

Reactions: Kal

Kal

<3
I just flat out don’t enjoy this story I gotta be real.

I mean I guess that should have been expected because Kuai isn’t Sub-Zero anymore and I don’t want to play as asshole Sub-Zero.

Also while I’m not a huge Scorpion fan I feel the whole putting Kuai with Harumi is also out of left field and kinda shits on Scorpion fans. Like in every timeline where she’s with Hanzo she dies, but she ends up with Kuai and it’s all good. Is that not kind of a slap in the face? Also how fhe hell did Kuai even meet Harumi. Also why is Hanzo now so much younger than everyone else?

This all kinda feels like a bad fanfic. Am I wrong for hating all of this? Seems like most people are liking this shit, but I am really not feeling it at all.

Not wrong at all. NRS has garbage writers.

Not wrong at all. NRS has garbage writers.
Thanks for making me feel a bit better. I’ve expressed my dislike of these story swaps elsewhere and am just met with, “this is a new story with new roles so get used to it.”

That’s the thing though I am not opposed to change. Like if these were all new characters or descendants of old ones then cool tell whatever story you wanna tell, but plastering a mix of the original takeda (the founder of the shirai ryu) and hanzo’s lore onto Kuai Liang and calling it a day feels so shitty.

part of me questions if we’ll ever see Kuai as Sub-Zero again.

For those whom watched the aracde endings:
Has anyone seen Kenshi’s arcade ending? Outside of Shang and Havik, he’s the only one I haven’t seen yet.

Kal

<3
Thanks for making me feel a bit better. I’ve expressed my dislike of these story swaps elsewhere and am just met with, “this is a new story with new roles so get used to it.”

That’s the thing though I am not opposed to change. Like if these were all new characters or descendants of old ones then cool tell whatever story you wanna tell, but plastering a mix of the original takeda (the founder of the shirai ryu) and hanzo’s lore onto Kuai Liang and calling it a day feels so shitty.

You have to understand the general MK community. As someone who's been part of it since 1992, for some weird fucking reason you almost always get attacked or insulted if you show any sort of criticism of the games or if you're not in full support of what the devs are doing by the general MK fanbase. MK, obviously with some exceptions, has overall my least favorite fighting game community. Between the NRS nuthuggers, the inferiority complex, and the toxic positivity I honestly can't think of a worst one, maybe Smash.

What NRS did to Scorpion and Subbie in this game story wise is fucking criminal. There would be a fucking riot if Capcom pulled that shit with Ryu, or Chun Li for example.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way

Kuai is probably done as SZ too. Not only does it suck to have Hanzo's lore shoved into Kuai Liang, it sucks that he loses his own lore.

Coming back to life after being a slave in the neatherrealm and single-handedly taking down the Cyber Lin Kuei is extremely badass. Then making the Lin Kuei honorable again helps make up for the evil things he did after being forcibly turned into a cyborg to kill for them as a slave / being forced to kill for Quan Chi. Making peace with Scorpion allows him to clear his brother's name. He obviously missed Smoke and Bi Han dearly, and even in MK11 he loses Hanzo too. I like Kuai Liang a lot and outside of Hanzo, Johnny, Raiden, and a few others, he's one of the only characters that gets a satisfying arc. Now he's just gone and Liu would rather give his shithead brother a chance instead of making Kuai Liang Sub-Zero and Grandmaster like he has proven he deserves for now a 3rd time.