What's new

MK1 Story Spoilers Discussion

I'm ok with Bi Han never being a hero, he should be one of the only true neutral characters in the game. If his stance is purely "all I care about is advancing the Lin Kuei, the rest of you guys can suck it", I'm good with that. I think all of his redeeming qualities should be his relationship with Kuai Liang, but it doesn't seem like the game is going that route. Maybe they could bring back his relationship with Sareena, and make her and Kuai LIang his only ties outside of the Lin Kuei.
I’m going to miss Kuai Liang so much (and no Scorpion is not a good replacement).

If Bi-Han is going to be Sub-Zero though I feel like the writing team (past and present) has pretty much confirmed he’s evil no? Like dude is a douche bag through and through.

People keep saying he should have a redemption arc, but I feel like good qualities are forced on him. In all movies he’s evil and in 2 past timelines he becomes Noob (which I personally think fits him better). Plus in the story mode of this one he came across as an absolute asshole. Dude is just not good and really does lean to the side of evil if not just outright evil.

If I’m not mistaken there were 2 years between mythologies and MK1. Dude had time to change and become a better person, but lo and behold he stuck being a loyal assassin for the Lin Kuei.

I just don’t understand how people can keep screaming for redemption when so much evidence has been laid out that he’s just bad. Is it nostalgia?

You’re a Sub-Zero fan right? What is your opinion on this? Why the fascination with Bi-Han from some fans?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I’m going to miss Kuai Liang so much (and no Scorpion is not a good replacement).

If Bi-Han is going to be Sub-Zero though I feel like the writing team (past and present) has pretty much confirmed he’s evil no? Like dude is a douche bag through and through.

People keep saying he should have a redemption arc, but I feel like good qualities are forced on him. In all movies he’s evil and in 2 past timelines he becomes Noob (which I personally think fits him better). Plus in the story mode of this one he came across as an absolute asshole. Dude is just not good and really does lean to the side of evil if not just outright evil.

If I’m not mistaken there were 2 years between mythologies and MK1. Dude had time to change and become a better person, but lo and behold he stuck being a loyal assassin for the Lin Kuei.

I just don’t understand how people can keep screaming for redemption when so much evidence has been laid out that he’s just bad. Is it nostalgia?

You’re a Sub-Zero fan right? What is your opinion on this? Why the fascination with Bi-Han from some fans?
I strongly prefer Kuai Liang to Bi Han and he's my favorite character.

I think people are fascinated with Bi Han because he has tons of potential. He's violent and cruel but was still murdered unjustly, which adds a layer of sympathy to him. He also helped Sareena.

In this timeline the whole idea is Liu is giving everyone a second chance to avoid conflict, like not erasing someone like Mileena but making her Kitana's actual sister and such. With Bi Han getting a second chance and having no conflict with Hanzo Hasashi this time, the idea is he could survive longer than he did before and maybe go a different direction.

I don't see why Liu Kang wouldn't make Kuai Liang the only Sub, he was a great Grandmaster and was always reliable in defending earthrealm. Especially since he is gonna end up relying on him with the Shirai Ryu once again anyways.

I strongly prefer Kuai Liang to Bi Han and he's my favorite character.

I think people are fascinated with Bi Han because he has tons of potential. He's violent and cruel but was still murdered unjustly, which adds a layer of sympathy to him. He also helped Sareena.

In this timeline the whole idea is Liu is giving everyone a second chance to avoid conflict, like not erasing someone like Mileena but making her Kitana's actual sister and such. With Bi Han getting a second chance and having no conflict with Hanzo Hasashi this time, the idea is he could survive longer than he did before and maybe go a different direction.

I don't see why Liu Kang wouldn't make Kuai Liang the only Sub, he was a great Grandmaster and was always reliable in defending earthrealm. Especially since he is gonna end up relying on him with the Shirai Ryu once again anyways.
Yes! Glad to see another Kuai Sub fan. Reddit is fucking flooded with Bi-Han fans. I honestly do not get the hype. Imo Kuai Liang is superior in every way.

Do you see why I think the writers see Bi-Han as pretty irredeemable? Every time dude gets a chance in any media he’s just straight up an asshole again. I just don’t think the whole redemption thing is there with him.

Also that’s fine with me. I think there should be defining characteristics between the 2 brothers. They both take 2 different paths in life. 1 good and 1 bad.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yes! Glad to see another Kuai Sub fan. Reddit is fucking flooded with Bi-Han fans. I honestly do not get the hype. Imo Kuai Liang is superior in every way.

Do you see why I think the writers see Bi-Han as pretty irredeemable? Every time dude gets a chance in any media he’s just straight up an asshole again. I just don’t think the whole redemption thing is there with him.

Also that’s fine with me. I think there should be defining characteristics between the 2 brothers. They both take 2 different paths in life. 1 good and 1 bad.
He is an asshole and I'm fine with him being one. I like Bi Han as a character and think he could be a great true neutral character, but I prefer Kuai Liang.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
Someone mind giving me some story spoilers for Baraka and Reptile? Wondering how much shine they get
there really isn't much. he sorta let's them know what happens when the Tarkat evolves. Mileena keeps taking some serum stuff to keep her in check. Baraka kinda can't blend in when the story progresses then just isn't seen again. This is how most of the story is from what I saw/remember. Stuff isn't really resolved ... it seems as though...all of Edenia, Shokans, Centaurs, and Outworld are just all known as outworld and just peaceful. it seems like the tarkatans want to seek death. Similar to how Baraka was not a revenant in MK11 and Jade states she would have prefered the same fate. I might be even making this sound more exciting than it is. lol. trust me though ... a lot of the story aside from maybe the end was largely given away in the trailers released.

NoobKillua

Anything's Possible

Can't really speak for anyone but the only reason I want to see a redemption arc for Bi-Han is because of how he was in mk mythology, and the potential he had with how that game ended only for him to die not long after. Mk9 basically made it look like he never went through character development and gets bodied again seconds after he's introduced. I just wanna see the OG Sub Zero flourish for at least two more games.

Baraka was cool, but everything after Raiden's chapter felt like the story was falling apart at a faster and faster rate then just collapsed at the end.

Shania Twain

Someone mind giving me some story spoilers for Baraka and Reptile? Wondering how much shine they get
OH. as far as shine in the story. I don't think you will be disappointed. They are both definitely shown and given development. If you like/love them as characters then you will be happy.

Shania Twain

Baraka was cool, but everything after Raiden's chapter felt like the story was falling apart at a faster and faster rate then just collapsed at the end.
Yes. the story seemed rather short to me. I mean...definitely cool parts...loved a lot of the stages if not all of them. It felt to me like they can literally go anywhere moving forward and a lot of tropes and probably something most will play once and not again. way too much Shang, Quan chi, and Ermac. Likely to get people to buy Shang if you didn't pre-order and to purchase the DLC. Regardless the gameplay is where it's at. Either way i'm excited for the game!

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Yes. the story seemed rather short to me. I mean...definitely cool parts...loved a lot of the stages if not all of them. It felt to me like they can literally go anywhere moving forward and a lot of tropes and probably something most will play once and not again. way too much Shang, Quan chi, and Ermac. Likely to get people to buy Shang if you didn't pre-order and to purchase the DLC. Regardless the gameplay is where it's at. Either way i'm excited for the game!
Quan and Ermac were both meant to be main roster but later pushed to DLC.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
1) yes, he didnt really have a time to shine though (i watched it till the 11th chapter so i dont know about the aftermath)
sorry, have to ask deeper xD

so, he is definitely a jobber (as per your answer) but is he actually pictured winning/doing something cool (you don't need to spoil what exactly) in the story?
Or is he a classic jobber with 0 fights won (both on-screen & off-screen) and is degraded to a minor backstory character with 3 voicelines for the whole period of the story just as, let's say, Ferra/Torr or Reptile in MKX?

so, he is definitely a jobber (as per your answer) but is he actually pictured winning/doing something cool (you don't need to spoil what exactly) in the story?
Or is he a classic jobber with 0 fights won (both on-screen & off-screen) and is degraded to a minor backstory character with 3 voicelines for the whole period of the story just as, let's say, Ferra/Torr or Reptile in MKX?
Definitely a classic jobber. I would argue that he’s the most forgettable character in the story. Nitara and Reiko at least had a moment where they stood out. I hate to make this comparison but Rain is kind of like the “Frost” of the story in terms of joining the villain because they see their true potential.
Sindel claims she loved Rain like a son but we never see it.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
Thx mate. Yea, that was kind of expected. No love for my guy. Anyway, guess there are still hopes for him in future games to be more developed.

Is he your favourite character? Asking 'cause of your avatar edit.
Nah, actually not even close, my favs are Tanya and Sindel. Just using his eye make-up cause I thought it looked cute lol

I will say though I expected a good time playing as a more ninja oriented version of him, with a nice variation of the brotherhood teleport.

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched

he mostly doesnt engage in any fights in cutscenes and you get to fight him in some chapters

Does joining the lin kuei automatically make you evil? Smoke was also one of them and we haven't seen him commit any violent acts (unless some are depicted in the comics but are those even canon?). Questioning the missions by the grandmaster is an act of defiance and nobody is in a position to do so. Leaving the clan as a whole as we know is a crime punishable by either death or a forced recapture, otherwise Sub and Smoke would've been let go when the cyber initiative began