What's new

MK1 Patch Notes

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Fuck that. These nerfs are gross.
The patch changes were really minor. Scaling changes, meter cost changes, and slightly different combo routes.

"Creativity" isn't impacted at all, Cyrax is still good, you can still use 2 kameos in a combo... people are hella overreacting.
It isn't the patch changes themselves thats the issue, its the mindset behind the patch that's causing concern. That NRS just took a giant nerfbat to the game as a whole. A lot of the fun shit got hit. A lot of those "Out of sync animation" nerfs make the fun kameo interruptions less rewarding, Goro's stomp having higher priority removes the super dope setups where you could actually combo off of his unblockable (which was hard to set up and took his entire kameo bar).

While this patch may not be a giant gloom and doom fest, it's showing us what NRS' approach could potentially be going forward, and that fucking sucks. People like broken games to be broken. Giving me an assist fighter, but tossing a shit ton of restrictions and hinderances on it is not helping to make this game very exciting.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Ok, so who's having less fun playing the game rught now? I know I'm having way more fun now, more feeling like I lost to the player than the team they chose. Except Kenshi and Ashrah. Even Johnny is ok.
I keep hearing complaints about Johnny but 99% don't come with an actual reasoning about what should be touched about him. And "I have problems against him" is not a reason lol. Many people don't even exploit his gaps, don't upblock anything, and still complain.

People complaining about his fast knee seem to forget the move's range is the worst he has had in any nrs game for a reason. The character is good, he has good pressure, but it has downsides like any properly designed character.

I believe we as a community sometimes act like sheeps that repeat what others say. Now that Cyrax is down, people have to find the next thing to complain about and just follow the new trend. Meanwhile, everybody seems to have forgotten there is a character in the roster that literally plays a different game than everybody else. But Johnny is the problem, sure.

Also, for the most part we should stop talking about the balance of characters independently because this game is all about the teams. For example, baraka got destroyed when the only thing that put him where he was was his synergy with Cyrax. All the rest of him was fine. A character should basically only get major nerfs/buffs when his interactions with the majority of the kameos indicate the problem is the character itself. Same way, a kameo should be majorly tweaked only when the combinations with many characters give undesired results.

Last edited:

NoCharge

Noob
For those who say they limited kameo use. Standard bnb with shao one bar and two sareena boomerangs - 445, with one boomerang 425. Off of sareena boomerangs + second boomerang - 407, without second boomerang - 382. Is 20 damage worth a greater cooldown on your kameo? Maybe when taking a round is needed, but definitely not life changing. Seems to me like they want you to use the kameo and its options more in game than just to get damage.

NoCharge

Noob
I keep hearing complaints about Johnny but 99% don't come with an actual reasoning about what should be touched about him. And "I have problems against him" is not a reason lol. Many people don't even exploit his gaps, don't upblock anything, and still complain.

People complaining about his fast knee seem to forget the move's range is the worst he has had in any nrs game for a reason. The character is good, he has good pressure, but it has downsides like any properly designed character.

I believe we as a community sometimes act like sheeps that repeat what others say. Now that Cyrax is down, people have to find the next thing to complain about and just follow the new trend. Meanwhile, everybody seems to have forgotten there is a character in the roster that literally plays a different game than everybody else. But Johnny is the problem, sure.

Also, for the most part we should stop talking about the balance of characters independently because this game is all about the teams. For example, baraka got destroyed when the only thing that put him where he was was his synergy with Cyrax. All the rest of him was fine. A character should basically only get major nerfs/buffs when his interactions with the majority of the kameos indicate the problem is the character itself. Same way, a kameo should be majorly tweaked only when the combinations with many characters give undesired results.
My only complain with Johnny is big damage really. Maybe an 8-10% decrease to his biggest bnbs would suffice. Amso his parry is ridiculous given how many gaps are in strings.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
Cage is obviously strong. Arguably the best character in the game right now, especially since most top tier got nerfed.

Here's another suggestion for Cage: make his d1 7 frames on startup like everyone else. On top of all the shit he already has, he's the only character with a 6 frame d1. Why?

Gamers aren't developers. Devs shouldn't ever listen to them. Period.
i wouldnt agree 100%. they still can take inspirations from gamers thoughts, but they should definitely reserve the last call for themselves. its their job to know best whats good. well, IF they are actual artists and not people who just copypaste whats been popular before.

NoCharge

Noob
Just for shits. Who thinks any of the previous nrs games were better from gameplay mechanics perspective at launch than last patch and why?

Last edited:

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Just for shits. Who thinks any of the previous nrs games were better from gameplay mechanics perspective at launch than last patch and why?
I cant think of a single one. I also can't think of a single MK game that would not benefit from another patch lol

Much of the staleness of MK11 gameplay came from there being few reasons to do anything unsafe, because there were so many safe options. Pre patch MK1 ended with everyone doing blockstrings into Kung low hat or Cyrax spin because theres few reasons to roll risky dice when you can choose guaranteed attrition.

Apparently this is downplay.

Gamers aren't developers. Devs shouldn't ever listen to them. Period.
I disagree with this as strongly as possible. Perhaps devs should take the "how" with a grain of salt ("this character's 12 needs to be plus on block" type of stuff) because they have the big picture in mind, but if someone tells them "I'm not enjoying your game" or "I enjoy your game less now" they need to take that seriously and work to understand why. Maybe the answer really is "people are just bitching because they like to bitch", but it's on them to rule that out and identify whether there's a real problem.

I'm not a game dev, but I am a software dev for an enormous company that makes products you've definitely heard of, and I've seen many development teams get in echo chambers about what they think customers want, versus what they actually do want. It can seem like unpopular things get released because there's a grand plan and customers don't know what's good for them. Lots of times it's because there happen to be a few people internally that have strong opinions and loud voices, and making decisions based on customer research is often the only remedy to that.

I'm thinking Breakers need to cost 2 Bars now. Currently they are 3 + available Kameo which is a high cost for mid to low tiers who are meter heavy or have poor damage meterless.
Now there is the long Kameo Regen after two uses and a good change with flawless block also stopping meter buildup but this together will hurt the non S Tiers who don't need meter.

I like a bunch of changes they did. Of course I think the Kameo two use cool down nerf was overkill and unnecessary and I'd still allow Cyrax to do Forward Kopter Chopper and Up Chopper back to back but put a 10 second disable on Forward Chopper after it's used to prevent blockstring oppression so lower tiers can still use Cyrax that needed it.
But breakers need to cost 2 Bars with Kameo available instead of 3.

I still don’t understand why NRS does this. They’ll overnerf the characters that are dominating the meta, but they don’t simultaneously buff the hardly used/lower tiered characters. And when I say “characters” in reference to this and MK1 I’m talking about the Kameos as well.

The approach I’ve been advocating for for I don’t even know how long is to yes, still nerf the characters that are dominating the meta. But they only need to be slightly nerfed if you also buff the characters that need buffing as well. If they stay with this trend that they’re currently on, eventually the game will turn into an even more boring version of MK11. And I actually liked MK11 but even I will admit that it was a fairly boring game.

Like tbh, I’d rather them not do any balance changes compared to them completely gutting characters. If you’re not a top player or content creator that can put a lot of time into the game, the time you DO invest into the game is super valuable. So if that time investment becomes completely irrelevant after they alter characters SO much, it’s pretty tough to not only start over, but now when you’re labbing you know that what you’re labbing could very well also be a waste of time in the not so distant future. It’s just a terrible approach and again, it’s what causes people to drop the game. ¯\(ツ)
Completely agree. Small nerfs to top 3, minor buffs mid to low tiers and let it marinate a few months.
The majority of players enjoy having their characters get more tools and options against the top tiers, more things to learn, more tech vs just having 2 characters dropped for the next oppressive strategy.
I know when I lab my characters for 300 hours and put in all the work, combo timings, cancels and flow chart and then universal large nerfs fall down it strips away my gameplan and makes me have to start from scratch. It's not a good feeling and I imagine most players don't like this and would rather have characters buffed slightly over a long period so we can see where they stand in tournaments and adjust accordingly.

They will turn this game into a watered down version if every patch is nerfs with no buffs.

I'm willing to wait, I understand it's hard to listen to the varying opinions of the community and decide which characters are lacking, which are just struggling, which are strong but not broke and which are just oppressive to most of the characters.
This is an assist game and doing blanket nerfs to Kameos are scary AF. They could have just done damage scaling on Cyrax and pylut a ten second freeze on using forward Chopper after it's been used but keeping both 50% Kameo meter so other lower tier characters can use Cyrax for their holes and keep their flow

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
They could have just done damage scaling on Cyrax and pylut a ten second freeze on using forward Chopper after it's been used but keeping both 50% Kameo meter so other lower tier characters can use Cyrax for their holes and keep their flow
Of course they could but the outcome wouldnt change much.

Prior state made so many things safe (from strings, which could be looped to specials that normally were unsafe on block). It also generated massive amount of meter. A lot characters did not have specials with such properties so rising the cost results in reduction of mentioned above advantages. Also the price of breaker could be another aspect to support this change.

Cyrax still does what he did but at higher price and cannot be used as often. What may rise a doubt is the other changes - this change assessment will come later on as the meta evolves.

I suspect it wasnt even about the fact that other assists are less used. It was all about what Cyrax does and how effective it is, that other simply dont.
Stryker is somewhere in the shades of Cyrax but its too soon to tell atm imo.

A lot of people say that KL is going to replace Cyrax, even if he does, the low hat properties are nothing alike. I might be wrong but first thing comes to mind: you can armor through, while armoring through Cyrax was not possible as you would go through special move but get hit by the cy-copter.

Looking at NRS Patch history I can confidently say, tha in terms of "patching" this is way healthier in compare to MKX.. I hope they maintain their "Cool" and let the current game breath.

Last edited:

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger

Truth. This is the one thing that never changes, no matter the adjustments made to a game.
Yeah I've got no problem with the top tiers even the prepatch Baraka or Raiden with Cyrax. The previous tier balances with even Sonic Fox saying that it was well balanced enough that they felt the bottom 3-5 where still A tier potential characters they just had some notable weaknesses that needed to be addressed to bring them up to par with the rest of the cast being S/A+ tiers. I'd much rather them just give the necessary buffs to any characters that noticably struggled to compete like Sub-Zero, Scorpion, etc. Hell, I fully support Nitara absolutely needing that buff to her self-harm move and I irrationally hate that character.

Last edited:

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Cage ashra and kenshi are untouched FACT. Honorable mention raiden was untouched as well FACT. the reason why they didn’t slaughter Lao so that the other characters not named the ones above can compete with the said top tiers of the game. If they gutted lao the characters would be worse thus you’re making your game more top heavy then it already was….

You’re only going to see these characters in top 8s. Where as if you buffed every other kameo you’ll create diversity. Lao is best overall currently and from there it’s character dependent - cage can go Kano or Lao at the highest level. There would be no need to pick any other kameo. So it’s back to square one with a gutted cyrax.