What's new

MK1 Gameplay World Premier - June 8TH [Summer Game Fest]

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Because generally, they're not fine.

And again, 3D era is not Fujin and Tanya as they were introduced in Mortal Kombat 4 and Kenshi is, but he was generally regarded as the only real "good" character to come from the 3D era (being Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance through Mortal Kombat: Armageddon).
agreed, overall, Kenshi is considered the best 3D character, and the others, are more or less lackluster leftover material , with a couple being worthy to be recycled for the modern games era ....

but at the same time, depends if NRS has interest to rebuild the character and make him/her badass .... as example, Tremor was in a very shit game, and they did an amazing job on him on MKX, he was pretty badass there, so, they can make Ashrah and Havik, for example, to look a lot better versions using the modern graphics, so .....

so, to overhaul a so so past character from 3D era, depends only from NRS and Ed to have interesting in bring that character again, and putt effort on reimagining this character as if was made today , in mordern era

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Yes, but as I understand, Tremor was never considered a shit character, even though he was only in a shit game.
yep, this make sense

yep, regarding Tremor, you are right

you know, the MK characters, is something like near 100 characters created so far along those 30 years the franchise exist, and , character popularity level has a major weight in who will worth time, money and work effort to be come in the new games, so ....

Characters like Kobra, Kira, Darrius, Taven, Hsu Hao etc, are very bottom in the preference of fans, they only have chance if NRS really want to "test waters", so, this Kameo mechanic would be wonderful for these characters, to see, how many times they could be picked up and choose by the players, and if so, if worth to make any of them , playable .... IMO, this would be one of the great benefits of the Kameo gameplay mechanic, to test if these small time MK characters have chance to have their popularity increase at all ....

Which makes sense because if you end up with 18 heroes and 6 villains, you end up beating up the same 6 people in story mode over and over.
3D era characters are fine. Why people think that they will look and feel like they did 18 years ago is beyond me.

Seriously, did no one SEE Fujin, Kenshi, Tanya, etc. in the last two games?
Wouldn’t it make sense for VILLAINS to sit out? Obviously they have an assorted roster for heroes and villains, it’s more than 6 fights lol why would you replace heroes with more villains….?

They are not fine, they suck that’s why they haven’t appeared since 2006. NRS gave us the progeny of popular characters and their relatives to avoid going back to those stinkers.

And again, 3D era is not Fujin and Tanya as they were introduced in Mortal Kombat 4 and Kenshi is, but he was generally regarded as the only real "good" character to come from the 3D era (being Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance through Mortal Kombat: Armageddon).
Shit is annoying, they always try to shoehorn mk4 characters into the mix and the likes of Kenshi,Bo and frost(all who were already well received in their debuts) to get their point across.

Most of these characters would need a complete revamp to be worth a shit and at that point you might as well just make new characters and it’s obvious that NRS agrees because that’s what they did.

EDIT: Just imagine a movie studio being asked to remake a critically panned film, what sense would that make?

Shit is annoying, they always try to shoehorn mk4 characters into the mix and the likes of Kenshi,Bo and frost(all who were already well received in their debuts) to get their point across.

Most of these characters would need a complete revamp to be worth a shit and at that point you might as well just make new characters and it’s obvious that NRS agrees because that’s what they did.
I'd be delighted never to see Bo or Frost ever again. Awful characters.

I’m definitely not totally negative about the trailer overall, but just wanted to see if anyone else was underwhelmed by the fatalities? I know some of them were kameos which is cool, but Raiden and Kung Lao’s that they showed looked like rehashes of their MKX and MK11 fatalities. Johnny’s face smash is pretty similar to his MKX one too.

Liu Kang’s fatality on Shang Tsung in the reveal trailer was so cool. Based on that one, I thought they were going to do some more interesting things with the camera angles and lighting and making it more cinematic. But the ones in the trailer looked a bit unimaginative. Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 59910

I’m definitely not totally negative about the trailer overall, but just wanted to see if anyone else was underwhelmed by the fatalities? I know some of them were kameos which is cool, but Raiden and Kung Lao’s that they showed looked like rehashes of their MKX and MK11 fatalities. Johnny’s face smash is pretty similar to his MKX one too.

Liu Kang’s fatality on Shang Tsung in the reveal trailer was so cool. Based on that one, I thought they were going to do some more interesting things with the camera angles and lighting and making it more cinematic. But the ones in the trailer looked a bit unimaginative. Thoughts?
Agree, but tbh Kung Lao’s fatalities are running out of possibilities imo. I mean, he already has sliced people in every possible angle and way lol

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
This doesn't mean all the Kameos are playable. It may mean that these Kameos are playable.

We'll see as more of the rosters are released.
Iirc, Ed said some of the kameos will be part of the main roster (like Sub-zero and Scorpion) and others will not.

yep, this make sense

yep, regarding Tremor, you are right

you know, the MK characters, is something like near 100 characters created so far along those 30 years the franchise exist, and , character popularity level has a major weight in who will worth time, money and work effort to be come in the new games, so ....

Characters like Kobra, Kira, Darrius, Taven, Hsu Hao etc, are very bottom in the preference of fans, they only have chance if NRS really want to "test waters", so, this Kameo mechanic would be wonderful for these characters, to see, how many times they could be picked up and choose by the players, and if so, if worth to make any of them , playable .... IMO, this would be one of the great benefits of the Kameo gameplay mechanic, to test if these small time MK characters have chance to have their popularity increase at all ....
Listen, Capcom had to have a street fighter game with a roster of 44 characters to feel comfortable with putting characters from sf3 in the roster, they went risky again with the barebones roster of sf5 and now look at 6 all 8 of the world warriors are base roster lol NRS needs to learn from capcom.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
EDIT: Just imagine a movie studio being asked to remake a critically panned film, what sense would that make?
I dunno... ask the creaters of Buffy the Vampire Slayer...

Ultimately, people want a few 3D characters because they do have potential and are reasonably popular (obviously not as much as most of the 2D characters). You listed yourself three successful characters from the era despite you calling them all useless.

I am not particularly attached to 3D characters except for Ashrah and Lei Mei who I believe would work in the series (Havik would too). These three have a medium sized fanbase and have been asked for repeatedly - having a couple of them would be probably worthwhile rather than having new characters. Yes, there is heaps of shit characters in 3D, but most people are not asking for the likes of Hsu Hao, Moloch and Kobra back - they are asking for those with potential.

The MK cast is already way too bloated and does not need a heap more new characters (which are usually jobbers anyway). I would much rather see a couple of reimagined legacy characters with existing backstories rather than a bunch of new jobbers like The Kollector or Erron Black who literally contributed nothing to the series.

Temptress

Edenian Empress

Uh, MK4 is irrefutably a part of the 3D era. 3D rendered graphics, models, arenas and the introduction of the weapon system.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I think the story this time might acknowledge different realms other than Earthrrealm and Outworld, see Edenia. It'd be fantastic to see some Chaosrrealm and Orderrealm representation.

I dunno... ask the creaters of Buffy the Vampire Slayer...

Ultimately, people want a few 3D characters because they do have potential and are reasonably popular (obviously not as much as most of the 2D characters). You listed yourself three successful characters from the era despite you calling them all useless.

I am not particularly attached to 3D characters except for Ashrah and Lei Mei who I believe would work in the series (Havik would too). These three have a medium sized fanbase and have been asked for repeatedly - having a couple of them would be probably worthwhile rather than having new characters. Yes, there is heaps of shit characters in 3D, but most people are not asking for the likes of Hsu Hao, Moloch and Kobra back - they are asking for those with potential.

The MK cast is already way too bloated and does not need a heap more new characters (which are usually jobbers anyway). I would much rather see a couple of reimagined legacy characters with existing backstories rather than a bunch of new jobbers like The Kollector or Erron Black who literally contributed nothing to the series.
Buffy had mediocre reviews and apparently did decent at the box office that was a bad movie to use as an example.

a better example for 3d era characters is plan 9 from outerspace.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

Couldn’t care less about fatalities. The only ones I don’t mind are brutalities, or just any of them that are super quick. Seeing the same minute long fatality thousands of times gets real old real quick.

Also babalities were cool, because the only way to activate them was not blocking on the final round. Which made them sting that much more. Maybe they’ll bring them back

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Im curious if we are going to have gear customizations this time around... it was a big marketing thing in MK11 and we got nothing regarding that so far. Only thing we got is that Sonya has AT LEAST two outfits.

Been a fan since the first game was in early builds... but this is probably the first time in all history where a new MK game reveal left me so disappointed. The stages are amazing... and that's about it. This is a modified Injustice series/MK11 game. Rehashed animations that people have complained about for years are right on queue. When they touted a 'new fighting system' in the description I was hoping for an actual overhaul considering the words used and the longer-than-usual development cycle. Very tempted to skip this one, the only one I've ever considered. Hell I even had Mortal Kombat Gold back in the day. Those of you even bringing up fatalities: that's going to be an 'ooh' and 'ahh' for a whole 5 minutes just like the last 3 games and then most people won't even bother. Not a hater, just very disappointed.