What's new

MK1 Gameplay World Premier - June 8TH [Summer Game Fest]

Agilaz

It has begun
Does any notice how the Shang Tsung in game render for the pre order after the CGI reveal looks better than all the character models in the trailer we got today? Im thinking what we saw was earlier build, anywhere from 1-3 years old. They probably figured showing the more recent builds would reveal more than what they wouldve liked. Im only sharing this theory because of the clueless tendrils complaining about the graphics.
This, and when people bring this up the counterpoint is always "they're three months away, why would they bother with an older build at their big showcase?"

Three months to release means three months (WB-mandated) marketing. This could well be an early playable build that they chose to showcase so they wouldn't need to waste time making a demonstration branch of a newer build.

Him

Noob
I seen Sub Zero without his mask. He looks like Sikander555. They need to be consistent with the models for their games, thats the one thing I truly hate about the series (and guest characters).

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
There's not any hope, why bother revealing them first as kameo if they were also playable? clearly this is them "ripping the bandaid" off likely zero chance as dlc too, I'm done, knew this was gonna happen
I won't lie, if Havik is playable and Sonya gets benched, I will be trolling you for quite a while.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
This honestly appears like a continuation of MK11 graphics-wise and yet I still see a worrying amount of people compare it to Fortnite.

Fortnite.

Like... the fuck?
That's because you are not paying attention. Look at Johnny's (i think it was Johnny) severed head. The torn flesh looks like you cut a photo with a scissor. It is purposefully cartoony because people complained it looked too realistic.

Whippoorwill

In my hater era
So...Sonya has the leg grab back, the arc kick and the air ring. The ring toss looks super pretty too. If she's main roster :DOGE that's very nice!

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
I was taking a look at MKleaks reddit and some people were saying that, besides no new characters, we should get quite a bit of 3D era representation.

I think that's pretty good. You throw a bone to the 5-6 3D era fans out there, and let's be honest, for a lot of people those WILL be new characters. How many new fans of the franchise even know them?

Even not taking the leaks into account I don't see how Reiko could possibly miss out on this game. Probably the most wanted non-original trilogy character that hasn't appeared in the new games.

To throw my $0.02 in:

- The game's visuals looked very good to me. Not the leap we had from Mortal Kombat XL to Mortal Kombat 11, but still very good. The only thing that irked me, and I've noticed this with a lot of games over the last 3 years, is the shadows seem off to me. Perhaps that's a me-thing and my own perception. Not the end of the world though.

- Further to the quality of the visuals, keep in mind that this game will be ported to the Switch, the PC requirements were not a huge leap over Mortal Kombat 11, and it appears they're using the same general engine (their modified Unreal Engine 3), so keeping all this in mind, the game does look very good.

- This would not be a 3 year old build, that makes no sense. It wouldn't be the most current build, but likely would be one from (roughly) 3 months back. Between now and launch more polishing will be done, but the game will likely look similar to what we saw on launch on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. Possibly better on PC.

- For the Roster, both playable and Kameo, let's wait for it to be properly revealed. Lots can still happen.

Edit: I'm curious how large the game will be on the premium consoles and PC. Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate was around 140 GBs with all 4K content installed...

I have a hard time believing sonya wount be a main character... Kano and jax, maybe, but SONYA? No way.
What doesn’t make any sense is that people are happy because there is potential for their 3d era characters to take their spots but that doesn’t make sense atleast in the case of jax and Sonya because most 3d era trash people want are mostly villains lol.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Imagine being so critical of a new gameplay mechanic that we’ve only seen like 30 seconds of footage of MAX, to the point to where you’re hoping that it isn’t apart of the default gameplay. NRS always introduces new mechanics to their games. Why are so many people acting so surprised? If you don’t like change, MK games just aren’t for you. ¯\(ツ)

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Also, Im very interested in the whole Air Kombat thing. Looks like short 3-hit bursts of damage for when both players jump and punch eachother instead of just a single jump kick or jump punch

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Looking at Kenshi's moves in the trailer, I see lots of MKX strings.
4D4
Kenjutsu 111
and then of course Tele-Flurry + Shoulder.

The might be some legacy in this game after all!
Didn't see teleflurry or kenjutsu's 111.

4d4 yes, also push and overhead slash which seems to combo again like in mkx last patch (and looks faster)

I also saw some sort of kenjutsu's B2 both in trailer and gameplay.

Last edited:
Let’s get down to the nitty gritty here.

Is MK4 really considered “3d era”? It still very much plays like the first 3 games i feel like most people consider DA, Deception and Armageddon 3D era.

Secondly I feel like Reiko was only popular because of the way he looked in 4, you could slap a ninja costume on any character and they will be popular, it’s like putting a shoto gi on a character in street fighter.

Had he debuted with his Shao Kahn cosplay costume he would have been panned along with the likes of Kai and Jarek.

Should some of those characters be rehabilitated? sure but obviously NRS didn’t think so because instead they chose:

Guests
A character based off a glitch.
A minor character from the only game in the series worse than theirs.
A 6 armed blue Larfleeze.
The unstoppable rock wall.
Master Blaster.
Rain x2.

But yes, it’s the franchise foundation characters keeping your favorites from your 3-day Deception blockbuster rental out.

Let’s get down to the nitty gritty here.

Is MK4 really considered “3d era”? It still very much plays like the first 3 games i feel like most people consider DA, Deception and Armageddon 3D era.
I consider "Deadly Alliance through Armageddon" the 3D era. No issues with Mortal Kombat 4.

On an aside all, the official Discord has now created Kharatcer Channels for Mortal Kombat 1, and Goro, Jax, Kano, Sonya Blade, and Stryker all have Channels of their own.

While not a confirmation, that suggests they'll be in the playable roster. Time will tell.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
On an aside all, the official Discord has now created Kharatcer Channels for Mortal Kombat 1, and Goro, Jax, Kano, Sonya Blade, and Stryker all have Channels of their own.

While not a confirmation, that suggests they'll be in the playable roster. Time will tell.
This makes no sense. If all the kameos are playable as well, this doesn't make the Kameo roster unique in any way.

This makes no sense. If all the kameos are playable as well, this doesn't make the Kameo roster unique in any way.
This doesn't mean all the Kameos are playable. It may mean that these Kameos are playable.

We'll see as more of the rosters are released.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
What doesn’t make any sense is that people are happy because there is potential for their 3d era characters to take their spots but that doesn’t make sense atleast in the case of jax and Sonya because most 3d era trash people want are mostly villains lol.
Which makes sense because if you end up with 18 heroes and 6 villains, you end up beating up the same 6 people in story mode over and over.
3D era characters are fine. Why people think that they will look and feel like they did 18 years ago is beyond me.

Seriously, did no one SEE Fujin, Kenshi, Tanya, etc. in the last two games?

3D era characters are fine. Why people think that they will look and feel like they did 18 years ago is beyond me.

Seriously, did no one SEE Fujin, Kenshi, Tanya, etc. in the last two games?
Because generally, they're not fine.

And again, 3D era is not Fujin and Tanya as they were introduced in Mortal Kombat 4 and Kenshi is, but he was generally regarded as the only real "good" character to come from the 3D era (being Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance through Mortal Kombat: Armageddon).