What's new

MK1 (2023) Gameplay Mechanics Discussion

My gameplay takes so far:

Good:
  • No variations or pick you moves
  • Characters have a huge variety of special moves
  • Simple strings input
  • So far I didn't see any down back forward command like input, hate those....
  • Air combo extensions
  • Regular meter is back, defense meter gone
  • Throw animations are shorted compared to MK11
  • Characters are not locked to be main or Kameo, so if you fav character is a Kameo it doesn't necessarily means that it won't be available as main character
  • As expected it looks gorgeous, stages in particular
Bad:
  • It seems dash cancelling is back... I just hope they improve dashing in general, instead of implementing again this dash block/down cancel bs
  • It just feels pretty MK11ish, I don't see any reason why we are not having back the down poke into throw/special move meta again
  • No interactables!
-It's very early to tell, but I didn't see much "uniqueness" in character gameplay. The only thing is this Kenshi shadow thing that mimic your moves. I want more unique things like that for each character

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
heres your exklusive

clone is back

but only cause its super nerfed

it lasts like maybe 3 seconds tops
Had that one covered in the rolling list of specials here:

But if there are any other specials you want to shed light on there, that would be cool, since I'm not sure how the names of some of them associate with what we're seeing onscreen.

Pizza

Thrill Kill

2:30

So now Kenshi kinda fits in the Puppet Archetype. Very interesting. Boon says he's sophisticated, I think he's going to be very technical. The whole thing about releasing the ghost and controlling it independently from Kenshi is 100% Puppet Archetype. I think this is a first time for MK, right? Puppet Archetypes are frequent in anime fgs but I don't remember any MK character fitting into the archetype.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Looking at Sub and Lao's footsies, they travel a fair bit — not to insane MKX levels, but they look a bit more MK11 than MK9 lol
not even close, there are characters you can't hit if you jump out of their strings reach, i've seen sub-zero being hit on the second stage of his string after a jump out, so it's definitely reduced in how far it reaches, another plus.

In the IGN playthrough at 2:46 Kenshi does a fatal blow. Sub tries to interrupt it and it has armor....so from the looks of it Fatal blows do have armor?

MK1 being a love letter to MK9 in terms of how ex moves and defensive options work has me excited. I also like that the first hit bonus is back.

Only complaints I have:

* How some of the jumping animations look. For example, Subzero jumping animation reminds me more of a Superman jump.

* How the kameos get in and get out after doing their thing. It looks a bit too much like a wrestling tag team attack. I preferred to see it more similar to CvsM2

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
MK1 being a love letter to MK9 in terms of how ex moves and defensive options work has me excited. I also like that the first hit bonus is back.

Only complaints I have:

* How some of the jumping animations look. For example, Subzero jumping animation reminds me more of a Superman jump.

* How the kameos get in and get out after doing their thing. It looks a bit too much like a wrestling tag team attack. I preferred to see it more similar to CvsM2
i think everyone should have the classic flip and all should've been standard height, the jump animation it's something it carried over from mk11 and i didn't like it, also because some thing were unavoidable by jumping.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Has anybody explained the movement a little more? My first reaction is that they want you to be able to cancel your dash to defend or maybe extend the range of a low poke (basic stuff)... But they don't want the wavedash-type movement?

Also, what's the input for up block?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Has anybody explained the movement a little more? My first reaction is that they want you to be able to cancel your dash to defend or maybe extend the range of a low poke (basic stuff)... But they don't want the wavedash-type movement?

Also, what's the input for up block?
Sonic said you have to commit to dashing mostly.

Sonic Fox Twitter copy/paste (played it himself at invite event)
  • Breakers cost 3 bars of meter AND your kameo has to be ready.

I think you just need 3 meter bars.
As seen above, the kameo meter was neither ready (50%) nor full during the breaker (unless I misunderstood).
Also, the breaker animation doesn't freeze the kameo's meter cooldown.

Last edited:
Upblock is interesting. I'd rather AAs be good enough that I wouldn't need it. Like if I know you're going to jump and I have time you should be getting juggled- if I play Sheeva in MK11 and I know your going to jump- you are getting combo'd, I don't need to leave myself open to you making a read and empty jumping, the moment you leave the air you are getting hurt. Methinks jump attacks must be amped up in this game like Injustice.

I'll miss flawless block plus frame negation.

Good to hear walkspeed is good. It honestly looked good but every shitty FG youtuber was like "wow it looks so slow" so I was a little gaslight into thinking that may be the case.

I think I'm overall happy about EX moves over meter burn. I think both systems have positives but meter burn options in MK11 went a bit too far- let me punish things plz

Fatal blows have no armor. Don't get caught mashing
This- this right here makes me happier than any change.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
I know it’s been said forward throws require your kameo, but I noticed if your kameo meter is gone or they’re already on the screen, your character does this generic empty shove. It looks like it may act as a MB throw from MKX, which could allow for some sauce

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Upblock is interesting. I'd rather AAs be good enough that I wouldn't need it. Like if I know you're going to jump and I have time you should be getting juggled- if I play Sheeva in MK11 and I know your going to jump- you are getting combo'd, I don't need to leave myself open to you making a read and empty jumping, the moment you leave the air you are getting hurt. Methinks jump attacks must be amped up in this game like Injustice.

I'll miss flawless block plus frame negation.

Good to hear walkspeed is good. It honestly looked good but every shitty FG youtuber was like "wow it looks so slow" so I was a little gaslight into thinking that may be the case.

I think I'm overall happy about EX moves over meter burn. I think both systems have positives but meter burn options in MK11 went a bit too far- let me punish things plz

This- this right here makes me happier than any change.

I agree, hope antiairs are decent. The opponent shouldn't put you into a guess to counter his jumps. I assume up block leads to massive damage so the risk of doing it is worth it.

View attachment 19230

I think you just need 3 meter bars.
As seen above, the kameo meter was neither ready (50%) nor full during the breaker (unless I misunderstood).
Also, the breaker animation doesn't freeze the kameo's meter cooldown.
By "kameo has to be ready" I think he is referring that it should be animation locked doing another move, it's not about the meter.
Same this happens for forward throws, if you kameo is on screen doing another animation, your throw will fail (you will just push your opponent).