What's new

MK1 (2023) Gameplay Mechanics Discussion

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Sonicx Fox also mentions it in the Kitana video as combo extenders by getting into position fast. (he says it is alla MK9, as in dash-block)

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Just watched Sonic's Kitana video. She looks awesome! I can clearly see what Sonic was talking about when they talked about the system allowing creativity with kombos.

So happy to see Kitana having her own moveset again. I saw no moves borrowed from Jade, no tonfas from Tanya, no teleports from Mileena... lol what if this is an indirect confirmation of Jade? :laughing:

Jynks

I just wonder about combo power... like some of the day zero combos in people's vids are like 30-50% (sonic shared on twitter a 48% combo) already... once optimisation happens with all the kameos and stuff... this could be a game of very short turns... I wonder if damage scaling has yet to be finalised, or if maybe they are expecting Bo5 matches as the default agian?

I like it when you can get beat and have the chance for a comback... if meterless combos are going to 30+..... . . the game may be very brutal.. play perfect or eat a 66%'err. I guess it will come down to the breaker system?

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I just wonder about combo power... like some of the day zero combos in people's vids are like 30-50% (sonic shared on twitter a 48% combo) already... once optimisation happens with all the kameos and stuff... this could be a game of very short turns... I wonder if damage scaling has yet to be finalised, or if maybe they are expecting Bo5 matches as the default agian?

I like it when you can get beat and have the chance for a comback... if meterless combos are going to 30+..... . . the game may be very brutal.. play perfect or eat a 66%'err. I guess it will come down to the breaker system?
good point; usually , these builds used for test, beta access, etc, are old ones, and so, not everything is optimized, including, combos damage and damage scalation , normally, they nerf around 10-15% in the final version , so, we have to see what happens in the final version once come up

breakers seems to be a major meta point detail in this game, so, the bar meter management will be crazy this time, hehe ! :D

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So it the very least, it seems like Maximilian and Ketchup/Mustard should have videos coming out in the next few days.

I’m looking forward to these, because their playtest reviews usually focus on giving a more complete picture of each game mechanic and understanding how things work together as opposed to just combos and match footage (which are fine, but only tell part of the story).

They also usually ask the devs smart questions that reveal bits of info that other people might not know.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
So it the very least, it seems like Maximilian and Ketchup/Mustard should have videos coming out in the next few days.

I’m looking forward to these, because their playtest reviews usually focus on giving a more complete picture of each game mechanic and understanding how things work together as opposed to just combos and match footage (which are fine, but only tell part of the story).

They also usually ask the devs smart questions that reveal bits of info that other people might not know.
Max did a stream last night with Kenny, Simmons and Jwong if you wanna go see his thoughts early. It kind of mimicked what a lot of people who got to play it are saying. Something along the lines of
“When I got to play MK11 early, I felt like I got all the footage I needed in 30 minutes. But with this, I just wanted to keep playing”. Paraphrasing of course.

Mainly waiting on K&Ms thoughts on the game

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile

I remember MK9 beta having insane damage combos, Scorpion could do like 4 teleports. They nerfed it a lot in the final game and through subsequent patches (we still however got Cyrax and Kitana high damage combos, but I think they learned their leasson).

Jynks

So it the very least, it seems like Maximilian and Ketchup/Mustard should have videos coming out in the next few days.I’m looking forward to these, because their playtest reviews usually focus on giving a more complete picture of each game mechanic and understanding how things work together as opposed to just combos and match footage (which are fine, but only tell part of the story).
have you seen Justin Wong's vid? It is pretty indepth (to others), and cool as it is from a non nrs player so totally neutral.. Expecting nothing, just commentating.

Jynks

I remember MK9 beta having insane damage combos, Scorpion could do like 4 teleports. They nerfed it a lot in the final game and through subsequent patches (we still however got Cyrax and Kitana high damage combos, but I think they learned their leasson).
true.. but MK9 was broken as fuck.. fun game.. but that game was about as balanced as a gallows. I really hope, in this case, it is nothing like MK9. I mean people remeber that game with rose glasses... Sonya, Kabal and Cyrx were fucking bullshit. lol

Depends on the hit. Love me some samsho. You eat a solid hit you explode but most aren’t that bad.

these are training mode corner combos(with fatal). I’d be worried if there didn’t hurt because these should be the huge rewards

Pizza

Thrill Kill

evil drops his vid
Excellent video. The best explanation I've seen so far about the Kameo system. I hadn't even thought about MUs until this video, and it's really interesting. Yes, if your main has limited zoning options you can choose a Kameo character to make up for that but it's good that it's not just a free "new move", it's actually a whole system. It's about what you want your playstyle to be.

The bit about the archetypes was interesting, I think Stephanie's non-answer actually answers a lot lol there's definitely going to be representation for different archetypes. We actually have a Puppet character now. Kitana can set a trap very much like a Trap character does, in the video you can see it clearly; but I've also seen Sonic use Kitana's trap to extend a combo. Now I'm not saying Kitana is a Trap character here, but she definitely took a very specific element of their gameplay.
I'm excited to see what other archetypes are going to be here. I think Jax is going to kill it as THE grappler this time around :D

Also thank you for being the only one (that I've seen at least) to show the frame data lol when I was looking at the move lists in other videos I was wondering why would NRS remove the frame data, even if it's just a demo build. Glad to see this info will not be missing.

1:12 --> that kounter was beautiful chef kiss

Liu Kang completely drenched in blood in the first fight looked brutal lmao the visuals are amazing in this game.

apparently a lot of what I go over was never discussed by anyone else so blep blep blep
I wasn't looking for it, but I love that forward throws are actually going to change your grab game. I assumed it was just cosmetic, but looks like sonja gives damage, jax gives conditional damage, and kano might give glorious glorious oki (they're right at your feet and it looked like you might be plus).

That's a really cool idea and I'm curious to see what they do with it. Having a character be able to vary up what their forward grab does is great, and the fact that the grabs don't seem to work if you don't have your kameo puts another layer on the grab game.

Further while i was bummed to see that it looks like breakers just work always (no unbreakable combos), I realized the counterplay will now be hitting your kameo or having them spend their second charge. If your opponent does some double kameo combo they're going shields down even with 3 bars.

By extension i'm not sure how long the kameo recovery is if you hit them, but that could open the door for a player who's behind, stealing a win from someone sitting on 3 bars, by popping their kameo and then doing some huge combo while they're recovering.

Last edited:

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I think it does, but I want to be sure: Does anyone know if this game has hitstop?

NoCharge

Noob
At 4:04 kitana does her fatal and has armor while being hit by kenshi. But jax is out and its a combined fatal, maybe only combined fatal have armor?

Jynks

I've been hearing conflicted things about the fatals... some people say they have armour... some say it hasn't.. so I do not know what to think. I know that they all say they can be poked out if you react to the flash though.

I did see a sort of "red glow" on people now and then.... anyone know what that is? I think it is punish or something?

NoCharge

Noob
I've been hearing conflicted things about the fatals... some people say they have armour... some say it hasn't.. so I do not know what to think. I know that they all say they can be poked out if you react to the flash though.

I did see a sort of "red glow" on people now and then.... anyone know what that is? I think it is punish or something?
The main character glows red and takes damage when the kameo gets hit.