What's new

Match-up Discussion Mileena Matchup Discussion Thread

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Can somebody break down Mileena vs Raiden? Not to be a dick, but I'm hoping whoever breaks this down has actually played a good Raiden and not one "online". Thanks in advance

I wish I could help with that, but I've only played Raiden offline twice. So I don't feel like I can comment that much about the matchup. All I know is Mileena can't catch him since he teleports, so She has to bait the teleport all most all the time. (Like most characters I'm sure). If you bait it successfully she can roll punish, though it is hard. D4 can beat out non-EN Fly on startup if he tries it in close. For some dumb reason his long range mid kick. (F+3?) beats out rolls, so that's something to be aware of.

That's about it unfortunately. I've beaten the Raidens I played by fighting the player more than the character matchup.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
ok vs a very good kang, whats my gameplan?

mileena zoining is better but i find it a bit risky against kung
if i sai he low fireballs, same if i iasai, it misses him ,i might dogde the low or get hit on way down
or we trade iasai for iafireball
he knows how to punish both teles even with a added sai
or i mess up 1 roll or tele im eatin a 38% combo that leaves me in the corner,to be raped by mixup

if i play the pressure game, i find only really my sweeps,d4,d3 and sweep to roll are useful as the u4 game is stopped by parry

im talking offline by the way,

i also main baraka and play reptile?(mileena my 2nd main) would they serve my better against kang?

Somberness

Lights
With some patch information out, here's my opinion on what the matchups will be after the patch (except for one).

5-5 vs Baraka
6-4 vs C.Sub-Zero
5-5 vs Cyrax
5-5 vs Ermac
2-8 vs Freddy Krueger (not sure what the patch will do, so this is what it is now)
4-6 vs Jade
6-4 vs Jax
4-6 vs Johnny Cage
5-5 vs Kabal
4-6 vs Kano
4-6 vs Kenshi
5-5 vs Kitana
5-5 vs Kung Lao
5-5 vs Liu Kang
5-5 vs Nightwolf
5-5 vs Noob Saibot
6-4 vs Quan Chi
4-6 vs Raiden
5-5 vs Rain
6-4 vs Reptile
5-5 vs Scorpion
5-5 vs Sektor
5-5 vs Shang Tsung
6-4 vs Sheeva
6-4 vs Sindel
5-5 vs Skarlet
4-6 vs Smoke
3-7 vs Sonya
5-5 vs Stryker
4-6 vs Sub-Zero

redeyes

Button Masher
With some patch information out, here's my opinion on what the matchups will be after the patch (except for one).

5-5 vs Baraka
6-4 vs C.Sub-Zero
5-5 vs Cyrax
5-5 vs Ermac
2-8 vs Freddy Krueger (not sure what the patch will do, so this is what it is now)
4-6 vs Jade
6-4 vs Jax
4-6 vs Johnny Cage
5-5 vs Kabal
4-6 vs Kano
4-6 vs Kenshi
5-5 vs Kitana
5-5 vs Kung Lao
5-5 vs Liu Kang
5-5 vs Nightwolf
5-5 vs Noob Saibot
6-4 vs Quan Chi
4-6 vs Raiden
5-5 vs Rain
6-4 vs Reptile
5-5 vs Scorpion
5-5 vs Sektor
5-5 vs Shang Tsung
6-4 vs Sheeva
6-4 vs Sindel
5-5 vs Skarlet
4-6 vs Smoke
3-7 vs Sonya
5-5 vs Stryker
4-6 vs Sub-Zero
what up with 3-7 sonya? care to expain? but i know she is a b*tch to play..

Somberness

Lights
Her d4 options, enhanced cartwheel, and especially the divekick are what makes it like that. You can't use Mileena's best spacing tool because if she jumps it, she could take over 40% off you. It's like vs. Cage but worse because of the divekick. At least Cage can be zoned easier but with Sonya, her projectile is going to win every trade so she has an easier way in. Johnny would be worse if MIleena didn't have at least some defense against him.

Also, it doesn't hurt her normals are some of the fastest while Mileena has some of the slowest.

Sonya will never be a 3-7 for Mileena unless the batch buffs her like hell. Sonya's damn good in close, and divekicks destroy D4, but the problem is she can't do those on reaction. Mileena has one of the best divekick punishers with roll. So Sonya has to be careful with them, even at point blank range. Sonya doesn't have an easier way in than Cage because her armored EX Arc Kick runs out in the air. So Air sais will still stuff them. Cartwheel also counts as Sonya being airborne, so an iAS will give the anit air float effect into roll combos.

Sonya's laser rings are better than ground sai, sure. But Mileena can zone as well as counter zone a ring happy Sonya. I feel like it's most likely a 5/5 at the moment. Patch pending of course.

Mileena vs Kabal? I personally think it's a 6/4 for Kabal, but it's arguably a 5/5.

Mileena can't be constantly outzoned like many other characters can because of telekick. If Kabal does any of his projectiles from fullscreen and Mileena can predict it she gets a free telekick and a safe jump to start her pressure. Thing is, a really low iAF is hard to telekick on reaction. It must be predicted or he'll block it and punish. It's also hard to iAS over the ground saw on reaction. So while Kabal is technically still at advantage with zoning against her, he can't get too comfortable.

At mid range (Max D4 range), Mileena owns this matchup. D4 is, as always, a very good poke. But more importantly it's used to make Kabal do something since he can't out poke her from there. If Mileena has already gotten through his fullscreen stuff, Kabal's gonna have to take risks to get back the damage. Jumping at this range, even if he cancels into Air Gas blast, give Mileena free punishment with telekick or roll. Random rolls at this range can blow him up if he's not careful. And because of Kabal's damage output being so low, even if they're blocked, they can't be punished very hard. You will have to guess what Kabal does after his F4 reset, but nothing guaranteed.

This is another thing. Kabal will make up most of his damage back in chip with his dash cancel strings. Mileena has no armor moves unless she has x-ray, so gettingout of this nonsense is more difficult for her. She has to try and poke at him with D3 (1% damage and a few positive frames), try to jump out, or use an anti air move to stuff his crossovers.

The problem here is Kabal's ex dash. The armor on it prevents her from getting anything after landing d3. (same with everyone really). She punishes the blocked dash very hard with U4. But the dash is fullscreen so she can't chuck sais on knockdown or attempt to cross him up. If Kabal doesn't have meter, she can pressure him all day. But Kabal builds meter very fast with block string pressure.

Basically, Kabal is better in close and has a stupidly fast iAF that makes Mileenas sais almost look slow. But at the same time, even if he does hit you, if he guesses wrong on the pressure setups, Mileena can snatch that damage right back with her many versatile meterless combos. She wants to stay at mid range or just outside of it as much as possible. She can hang at fullscreen, but does not want to be in close unless during a safejump or equipped with xray.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Mileena vs Kabal? I personally think it's a 6/4 for Kabal, but it's arguably a 5/5.

Mileena can't be constantly outzoned like many other characters can because of telekick. If Kabal does any of his projectiles from fullscreen and Mileena can predict it she gets a free telekick and a safe jump to start her pressure. Thing is, a really low iAF is hard to telekick on reaction. It must be predicted or he'll block it and punish. It's also hard to iAS over the ground saw on reaction. So while Kabal is technically still at advantage with zoning against her, he can't get too comfortable.

At mid range (Max D4 range), Mileena owns this matchup. D4 is, as always, a very good poke. But more importantly it's used to make Kabal do something since he can't out poke her from there. If Mileena has already gotten through his fullscreen stuff, Kabal's gonna have to take risks to get back the damage. Jumping at this range, even if he cancels into Air Gas blast, give Mileena free punishment with telekick or roll. Random rolls at this range can blow him up if he's not careful. And because of Kabal's damage output being so low, even if they're blocked, they can't be punished very hard. You will have to guess what Kabal does after his F4 reset, but nothing guaranteed.

This is another thing. Kabal will make up most of his damage back in chip with his dash cancel strings. Mileena has no armor moves unless she has x-ray, so gettingout of this nonsense is more difficult for her. She has to try and poke at him with D3 (1% damage and a few positive frames), try to jump out, or use an anti air move to stuff his crossovers.

The problem here is Kabal's ex dash. The armor on it prevents her from getting anything after landing d3. (same with everyone really). She punishes the blocked dash very hard with U4. But the dash is fullscreen so she can't chuck sais on knockdown or attempt to cross him up. If Kabal doesn't have meter, she can pressure him all day. But Kabal builds meter very fast with block string pressure.

Basically, Kabal is better in close and has a stupidly fast iAF that makes Mileenas sais almost look slow. But at the same time, even if he does hit you, if he guesses wrong on the pressure setups, Mileena can snatch that damage right back with her many versatile meterless combos. She wants to stay at mid range or just outside of it as much as possible. She can hang at fullscreen, but does not want to be in close unless during a safejump or equipped with xray.
Just wanted to add that I agree with this being a 4-6 (Kabal).
The lack of armor for escaping his pressure is really hard to overcome at times.

I think you NEED to nail a random roll from sweep distance to take this match-up. Otherwise, you're relying on punishment of a blocked NC to get any significant damage in on him. Factor in his ability to build meter for breakers like crazy and I really feel like it's an uphill battle. There's no way it's worse than 4-6, and I could see it as a 4.5-5.5 even, but I can't grasp this being a 5-5 even match-up.

So here's the recent matchup listings I posted in the community chart thread. These are of course my opinions.

Mileena vs:

Baraka: N/A since the patch
Cyber Sub-Zero: 6/4 (according to Pig of the Hut)
Cyrax: 6/4 (debate w/ Konqrr & Pig of the Hut)
Ermac: 4.5/5.5
Freddy Kreuger: N/A
Jade: 5/5
Jax: N/A since the patch
Johnny Cage: 5.5/4.5
Kabal: 4/6
Kano: 6/4
Kenshi: 4/6
Kitana: 5.5/4.5
Kung Lao: 4/6
Liu Kang: 5/5
Nightwolf: 6/4
Noob Saibot: 5/5
Quan Chi: N/A
Raiden: 4/6 (debate w/ Pig of the Hut and B W1zZ)
Rain: N/A
Reptile: 6/4
Scorpion: 5/5
Sektor: 4/6
Shang Tsung: 5.5/4.5
Sheeva: 7/3
Sindel: 6/4
Skarlet: 5/5 (according to Pig of the Hut)
Smoke: 5/5
Sonya Blade: 5/5
Stryker: N/A since the patch
Sub-Zero: 4/6

Unfortunately, there seems to be several disagreements in the matchup chart thread that could possibly lead to more than half of all matchups being compromised to 5/5s...

redeyes

Button Masher
So here's the recent matchup listings I posted in the community chart thread. These are of course my opinions.

Mileena vs:

Cyber Sub-Zero: 5/5
Cyrax: 5/5
Raiden: 3.5/6.5
Skarlet: N/A

Unfortunately, there seems to be several disagreements in the matchup chart thread that could possibly lead to more than half of all matchups being compromised to 5/5s...
6-4 vs nightwolf? how??

6-4 vs nightwolf? how??
Bascially, Mileena will almost always dictate the pace of this matchup. D4 makes shoulder useless unless he spends bar, (Roll beats it too I believe), and this allows her to constantly pressure afterwards with little risk. Of course NW has armor moves, but again, they require meter. If NW is spending meter to escape her pressure, he won't be able to break and that's really important against Mileena.

She can zone him from fullscreen without much concern since Reflect is not useful against Mileena from a distance. Mil can telekick or roll under her own reflected sais to have an easy way in. NW hits hard though, so she doesn't destroy him. (Yeah he can punish rolls/telekicks, but so can everyone.)

F3 string is one of the only major concerns. If Mileena is too reliant on D4, doing more than 1 of those on block can be countered with F3 for over 30+%. However, he will have to predict this, which potentially opens him up for U4 punishes for close to the same damage. (Not sure, but I think she can even armor through the 2nd/3rd hits in the string with Xray if she had to) If NW corners her, it's not good, obviously, but if she gets back to midscreen she's in control again. Another thing to note is that NW has a great uppercut to stop Mileena from jumping or using non-stop attacks.

In a nutshell, Mileena makes NW have to react and play around her game.

If you need a reference point look up my matches with PhoenixIvan's NW and Pig of the Hut's matches with Lord of the Fly on youtube. NW can win, obviously, but he still has to keep up with her, not the other way around.

SZSR

Noob
Can you please explain the 5-5 Smoke? I understand Mileena is plenty annoying to Smoke but REO did say it was 6-4 Smoke's favor.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

Mileena vs:

Cyber Sub-Zero: 5/5
Cyrax: 5/5
Raiden: 3.5/6.5
Skarlet: N/A

Hmm i disagree with two of these

Sub Zero = 5-5 at worst
cyrax = 6-4 Mil

And yes NW IS DEFINITELY 6-4 MILEENA

Pig Of The Hut

6-4 vs nightwolf? how??
Mileena and CSZ spank the HELL out of NW

like Zero said man:

d4 dictates match
arrows = tele kicks
Shoulder = over rated move
EX hatchet you can bait and roll under it after he swings it up and before he swings it down

NW is forced to play into Mileena's hands

SZSR

Noob
Mileena and CSZ spank the HELL out of NW

like Zero said man:

d4 dictates match
arrows = tele kicks
Shoulder = over rated move
EX hatchet you can bait and roll under it after he swings it up and before he swings it down

NW is forced to play into Mileena's hands
Hey Pig can you explain the Smoke - Mileena matchup? I don't think it's 5-5 even though you bodied me at ATL Revival, but what does Mileena have to even it up.

Death

Noob
I agree with this but i think its 4-6 vs raiden and 3-7 vs KL. Ermac is 4/6 too. Those are disaster matches and i think its a bit in Cage favor too but awesome matchup chart. 5/5 vs noob. I thought it was more 6.5-3.5 in Mils favor. Cant she shut down all of Noobs zoning options plus her rushdown is better. and her ground sai is really fast too.

Pig Of The Hut

Hey Pig can you explain the Smoke - Mileena matchup? I don't think it's 5-5 even though you bodied me at ATL Revival, but what does Mileena have to even it up.
Smoke is tough and I judge by Atl_redd's when we play, yours and gamer blake.

You have to be real careful tele kicking smoke bomb on reaction because most of the time bomb wins because u descend through the ground. Mileena has to approach w d4 against top smokes and control the air by tele kicks jump backs and rolling forward jumps as AA.

Smoke has a 6 frame d1 that can shut down d4 from mileena as kitana d1 can. U really have to bait smoke and make him make mistakes. You can't IAS or ground Sai him.

This is 6-4 and is tough IMO. Again I base all my MU against who I believe are the top players w this character.

I agree with this but i think its 4-6 vs raiden and 3-7 vs KL. Ermac is 4/6 too. Those are disaster matches and i think its a bit in Cage favor too but awesome matchup chart. 5/5 vs noob. I thought it was more 6.5-3.5 in Mils favor. Cant she shut down all of Noobs zoning options plus her rushdown is better. and her ground sai is really fast too.
You are HIGH if u think KL is 7-3 over mileena

IAS controls this match
AA roll rolls every air move he has
Uppercut tele
Roll out of ex tele
Never JIP u 4
Always approach w d4 and 4 2 mixups which are 0 on block
Bait spins

I think it's 5-5 post patch- KL is not hard if u can IAS all day

Cage is NOT favored over mileena this just means you're not IAS-ing all day chipping, building meter and forcing Jim to jump which plays into Mileenas hands

Lay off the pipe ::)

Pig Of The Hut

Couple more
6-4 over CSz
6-4 over Shang
4-6 raiden wins
5-5 skarlet - they seriously are almost the same character lol in weird ways

baraka might win 6-4 over mileena. It's a bad MU I need to test more

Chop chop tracks, blocked sai gets charge blade punish

Spin wins over tele and JIP and d4

Baraka recovers fast on projectile

Death

Noob
Ey pig take it easy on me lol. I'm an online player who just picked up mileena not too long ago. I just had hard matches agains KL, Ermacs and Cages. I didnt know much. But It'll be nice meeting you at G-Vegas Beatdown.

EDIT: I saw you sick ass Mileena play and you say not U+4 KL. Whats good then? D+3,D+4? 23? 42? I love doing U+4 then 4~telekick but i get spinned out from it. I dont know. I guess i'm a work in progress.

Pig Of The Hut

Ey pig take it easy on me lol. I'm an online player who just picked up mileena not too long ago. I just had hard matches agains KL, Ermacs and Cages. I didnt know much. But It'll be nice meeting you at G-Vegas Beatdown.Oh

EDIT: I saw you sick ass Mileena play and you say not U+4 KL. Whats good then? D+3,D+4? 23? 42? I love doing U+4 then 4~telekick but i get spinned out from it. I dont know. I guess i'm a work in progress.
Oh dude u have to know me I'm totally joking, not being a dick I promise. Lol

Yea KL can spin in between jip u 4 so best to do 4 2 or 234 or d3 d4 or throw of JIP

The way to play KL Is w AA rolls, zoning w Sai and IAS and absolutely no random tele kicks unless u like eating damage

It'll be awesome to meet up, hang and play at gvegas