What's new

Match Footage - Mileena Mileena Match Videos

Punch walk is safe on block and even when blocked Mileena has to be wary of Goro's armor (like everyone else). Ex roll sometimes beats mistimed ex punch walks, but I wouldn't bank on that being super reliable.
How many hits of armor does EX Punch Walk have? Is it just totally invincible like an X-Ray?

Also, I'm curious if Ethereal would actually work out ok vs Goro. Seems like there are more uses for it in the matches I saw that would help better than Ravenous.

Last edited:

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
If she does EX Teleport, it will combo.
Yeah ex telekick doesn't combo on a shifted minion during it's startup due to the bug which is annoying. I feel that Scorpion can play his game while staying pretty safe. Mileena can only really capitalise when Scorpion makes an mistake which isn't that often with the tools he has
Haha.. That's good to know. Maybe using Inferno more isn't such a bad idea but I love those fireball kancels..

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Seems like Piercing & Ravenous are the tournament standards. Makes me more eager to try Ravenous. If I end up having fun with Ravenous (which I think I will; already have piercing pretty much down dynamically), maybe my uncertainty of a main character will leave me until I look into a secondary. Right now, it's a toss up with her in the lead by a slim margin, only because I this is the 1st character that I picked to learn the game with.

Forgive me if I sound like I'm hobbling with the characters, just I have a lot of characters that I enjoy with the Top 5 competing for the job as my tournament main: Mileena, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Kung Lao, & Kitana. I hope that I find what I'm looking for. I love her, just I love others too. If I played in an event right now, it would be Mileena only because that's who I've had the most time with.

You can watch the matches here: http://www.twitch.tv/pandaxgaming/v/5630940
(Sry don't know the timestamps)
Time Stamps
STLMajinBerserker (MIL Piercing) vs DevilMaySpy (CASS Hollywood) - 1:10:00
YOMI|SaltFace (MIL Ravenous) vs DevilMaySpy (CASS Hollywood) - 1:35:39
YOMI|SaltFace (MIL Ravenous) vs cR|Wound Cowboy (SUB Grandmaster) - 2:11:10
YOMI|SaltFace (MIL Ravenous) vs YOMI|Slayer (KJ Bojutsu) - 2:39:45
YOMI|SaltFace (MIL Ravenous) vs cR|Wound Cowboy (SUB Grandmaster) - 2:57:00

(1:51:32 for some WTF IS THIS SHIT?)

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
Time Stamps
STLMajinBerserker (MIL Piercing) vs DevilMaySpy (CASS Hollywood) - 1:10:00
YOMI|SaltFace (MIL Ravenous) vs DevilMaySpy (CASS Hollywood) - 1:35:39
YOMI|SaltFace (MIL Ravenous) vs cR|Wound Cowboy (SUB Grandmaster) - 2:11:10
YOMI|SaltFace (MIL Ravenous) vs YOMI|Slayer (KJ Bojutsu) - 2:39:45
YOMI|SaltFace (MIL Ravenous) vs cR|Wound Cowboy (SUB Grandmaster) - 2:57:00

(1:51:32 for some WTF IS THIS SHIT?)
Enjoy my dropped combos. Not proud of my performance, but there's always next tourney. I had game 2 won, too! Oh well. My next three matches at MWC were off stream.
If I can find my match with Slayer from Combo Breaker, I'll post it. I'll check YouTube later.

Hey guys. Finally managed to get some matches recorded for this game. Here's some matches from a long offline set against Full-Auto Jacqui.

Mileena vs Jacqui Set 1

Mileena vs Jacqui Set 2

Mileena vs Jacqui Set 3

This really does feel like a bad MU for Mileena. But there are some things Mileena can take advantage of. (Oh and.. please excuse some of the dropped JIP~123 combos that wouldn't come out for some reason.) Any criticisms are welcome. Looking back at some of these I can see some of the bigger mistakes I was making. But feel free to comment anyway. Maybe you guys will see something I didn't.

Hey Zero Effect thanks for uploading these matches it takes some bravery to put stuff up for the whole community to create and it really helps us all out!
You seem to be doing a lot of good things, got the basics of not dropping combos and keeping up pressure. If you look at the games you won it is a really good illustration of how scary mileena can be, just 1 or 2 good reads and mix-ups and the round is yours, in the first video I was impressed with your "clutch factor" you really know how to get a lot done with a sliver of life.

So to help you with this matchup is all about spacing. Playing against Jacqui and any zoner there's a sweet spot that you want to be in. Specifically for this you want to be just in ball roll range so any time that machine gun comes out you get a full combo punish (ball roll goes under the machine gun) But you don't want to be in range of their melee stuff, luckily mileena has really good footsies with ball roll, b12, and f44. When you get outside the range you want to close the gap quickly with a teleport, jump in, or run-in. This Jacqui did a really good job of playing the spacing game in her favor keeping you outside of ball roll range or inside punching range. (props to InsaneKhent). Your best round spacing was the very last one in the first video, go watch that replay you did a lot of things right in that round. (except maybe I would have broken that big combo)

one thing you can do to improve on this is to just keep putting Jacqui closer to the corner, you can alter your combos a bit to make sure she is staying on the short side of the arena and when you throw make sure you throw in a direction that doesn't give her more space.

You only want to back off and zone when you have a significant life lead and are okay trading sais with Jacqui's superior zoning, this way you can secure your victory with poke, build meter for the next round and stay away from getting full combo punished since Jacqui can't close a gap easily (though this won't work on quan chi, or possessed Kenshi due to their teleports) i did see you do this a few times with really good results.

In the last video things got pretty rough there were some matches in there that you just got stomped but if you go back and look there were several times when you ate a full combo (one even went to 41% if I remember right) when you had meter for breaker! I know as mileena you want to save meter for using ex ball rolls and teleports but no reason to just take a full combo like that. Against a zoning character building a life lead is more important than meter because piercing mileena has good enough projectiles that they have to approach you. Don't be afraid to use that breaker to stay ahead.

I have a question for you, is there a reason you don't use the f44 string much in this matchup? I like to throw it out a lot to get my opponent blocking low so I can mix it up with EX Roll, f44 is safe on block and it covers a pretty good distance for closing the gap...

that was longer than I thought it would be, hope you get some helpful feedback out of that mess.

Last edited:
If you look at the games you won it is a really good illustration of how scary mileena can be, just 1 or 2 good reads and mix-ups and the round is yours, in the first video I was impressed with your "clutch factor" you really know how to get a lot done with a sliver of life.
Thanks for the comments. Tbh, posting this kind of thing isn't scary to me as I've been doing this a while, lol. Just looking to learn more things and possibly teach things too. As for the clutch, I've been told that before in other games too, so thanks again. I just chalk it up to experience more than anything.

So to help you with this matchup is all about spacing. Specifically for this you want to be just in ball roll range so any time that machine gun comes out you get a full combo punish (ball roll goes under the machine gun) But you don't want to be in range of their melee stuff, luckily mileena has really good footsies with ball roll, b12, and f44.
You're right. What I've gathered from our matches over time, is that Mileena can fight at almost every range Jacqui can, with the difference being safety and damage. Jacqui's F12 is effective at the range I want to be, which as you said is just inside ball range. The other issue is you really can't react to Machine gun startup from this close. So Roll is always a read that is of course dangerous on block. You can react to low rocket and air rocket from here, so that's what I look for outside of a hard read. Mileena in Piercing with sai mixups can zone Jacqui somewhat since low sai is forced chip. Machine gun should whiff over her head since I don't have to block until she gets in low rocket range.

one thing you can do to improve on this is to just keep putting Jacqui closer to the corner, you can alter your combos a bit to make sure she is staying on the short side of the arena and when you throw make sure you throw in a direction that doesn't give her more space.
What should I be replacing my combos with to force them into the corner? This corner first mindset is something I noticed I needed the most help with. I tend to uppercut and sacrifice damage to get them there. And yes. My bad on the throws, lol. Throws I just mix up out of habit from SoulCalibur, lol. I sometimes forget throws are guaranteed in this game if your opponent blocks. And he was blocking a lot.

In the last video things got pretty rough there were some matches in there that you just got stomped but if you go back and look there were several times when you ate a full combo (one even went to 41% if I remember right) when you had meter for breaker! I know as mileena you want to save meter for using ex ball rolls and teleports but no reason to just take a full combo like that. Against a zoning character building a life lead is more important than meter because piercing mileena has good enough projectiles that they have to approach you. Don't be afraid to use that breaker to stay ahead.
That 41% combo was in the first round, so I felt I still had a chance to use the meter to make comebacks. But I probably should've broken it anyway. Here, though, is the problem with the damage difference. Breaking gives up all your stamina, (which I pray gets changed somehow), so unless I already have a life lead, I feel crippled not being able to run up and force her face pressure. Jacqui's back walk speed is too good, and one error could lead to another 35-40% combo that I can't break (since I would've just used it).

I have a question for you, is there a reason you don't use the f44 string much in this matchup? I like to throw it out a lot to get my opponent blocking low so I can mix it up with EX Roll, f44 is safe on block and it covers a pretty good distance for closing the gap...
F44 is not safe vs Jacqui. She gets standing 1, so basically 1212~EX Air rocket~run F33~BF4 for something like 38%, lol. I honestly don't like F4 much as it is now. I wish F4 was safer by itself, to where if the opponent waits for the 2nd hit, they lose their punish window. Also, even if it was safe to her, she's basically getting a "punish with chip" using 1212~Machine gun. And Mileena backdash just gets hit or even thrown out of from here. I use it in hopes of a hit on wakeup, or post-Telekick for a mixup. It'd make a much better footsie tool if it had better recovery.

Method

Full Combo Punishable
ECT 2015 top 8:

Match #1 - 17:40 YOMI SaltFace (Mileena Ravenous) vs. YOMI DJT (Tempest Lao)
Match #6 - 1:16:54 YOMI SaltFace (Mileena Ravenous) vs. EMPR Jupiter (Jax Wrestler)
Match #8 - 1:39:20 YOMI SaltFace (Mileena Ravenous) vs. YOMI MIT (Tanya Kobu Jutsu)

Match #1 picks up a bit late because derpy coverage.

Again, well done @YOMI RM SaltFace. An amazing run against killer competition, you should be proud!

Anyone know if there are vids of SaltFace's run up to the top 8?

EDIT: Not related to Mileena, but Match #3 - 37:44 Forever King (Lao/KJ) v. Jupiter (Jax) is stupid good.

Last edited:

Jaiyson

100% Jamaican
Hey guys so I played some casual sets against my friend's Cassie Cage ..So Im asking if you critique my gameplay with Bae Mileena :D

Hey guys so I played some casual sets against my friend's Cassie Cage ..So Im asking if you critique my gameplay with Bae Mileena :D
Pretty decent Mileena you got there. But the first thought that went through my head was... you need more grabs in your life. More running hugs would've stopped Cassie from being comfortable blocking your wakeup Rolls. Could've saved you a few games where Cassie punished you hard for them.

Other than that, you seem to have a good grasp on her in Piercing from what I saw. Good low sai/Ex Roll mixups in strings. But yeah, run up grab a lot until they start hitting buttons early. Then you can get all the B1s and rolls you can handle.

Jaiyson

100% Jamaican
Pretty decent Mileena you got there. But the first thought that went through my head was... you need more grabs in your life. More running hugs would've stopped Cassie from being comfortable blocking your wakeup Rolls. Could've saved you a few games where Cassie punished you hard for them.

Other than that, you seem to have a good grasp on her in Piercing from what I saw. Good low sai/Ex Roll mixups in strings. But yeah, run up grab a lot until they start hitting buttons early. Then you can get all the B1s and rolls you can handle.
Yea Thanks alot bro... I really do need to grab more.. I only some how use it in comboes for unbreakable damage..

FT10 Featuring Kitana Versus Mileena....that canon showdown tho!
Good fights. I like the spacing games by both players. Can't help but want more grabs from Yoaks, lol.
I almost feel Piercing would benefit Yoaks's playstyle a bit better, maybe. But I guess it's hard to give up low pounce and healing.