What's new

Mileena General Discussion

dph1990

Noob
It’s fun when it works - when it doesn’t you’re just salty as Hell.

Also I just tried Vanish with Kahnum Dash and it’s the only special move (correct me if I’m wrong though!) that brings her out of Vanish as soon as you’ve landed it, even if you literally go Vanish - Dash up close, so it’s not Vanish timing out. Another weird, unnecessary nerf-type choice by NRS in my opinion. I spent a bar of defensive meter to go invisible, gave up any combo potential for dash, and I can’t even have the full duration of Vanish if I land a mixup right? Pfft.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
It’s fun when it works - when it doesn’t you’re just salty as Hell.

Also I just tried Vanish with Kahnum Dash and it’s the only special move (correct me if I’m wrong though!) that brings her out of Vanish as soon as you’ve landed it, even if you literally go Vanish - Dash up close, so it’s not Vanish timing out. Another weird, unnecessary nerf-type choice by NRS in my opinion. I spent a bar of defensive meter to go invisible, gave up any combo potential for dash, and I can’t even have the full duration of Vanish if I land a mixup right? Pfft.
Iirc, stabbyscotch, and Teleport Kick immediately bring her out of vanish

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
vanish is fine. there's just no obvious answer for her third slot besides low sai in a few matchups.
It takes defensive meter to use and you take a damage debuff on top of it. You get a hit you're doing less than normal damage, you get punished you're eating a combo with no breakaway. How is that fine

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
It takes defensive meter to use and you take a damage debuff on top of it. You get a hit you're doing less than normal damage, you get punished you're eating a combo with no breakaway. How is that fine
because you're invisible and can shimmy the fuck out of people

I don't get why turning invisible should decrease your damage. What's the point of using it at all if thats the case?

That being said, Vanish doesn't appeal to me anyway. Despite liking Reptile, Predator, Cyborg Smoke and Spawn I never cared much for the Invisibility shenanigans.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Jax versus Mileena is surprisingly fun from both sides, I'd like to play a lot more of it. Kitana versus Mileena too.

I think if Mileena utilizes her low sai though Kitana with her downward fan checks her really well.

because you're invisible and can shimmy the fuck out of people
This is what I mean like I get if people don't like Vanish, but people like Koisy are utilizing it against high level players with decent/notable success. It's okay to not like moves, but it's a different matter when it appears effective against competent players.

Raider

Noob
It doesn't make any sense for her to have a vanish move. Sounds like they ran out of ideas for her specials. Most of them are fillers.

Temptress

Edenian Empress
It doesn't make any sense for her to have a vanish move. Sounds like they ran out of ideas for her specials. Most of them are fillers.
You do realise teleporting is the act of vanishing and reappearing in another location instantaneously, right? Ethereal in MKX also showcased her ability to vanish for extended periods of time, so it makes perfect sense.

I do agree, however, that their execution was indeed lacklustre and that her custom abilities leave a lot to desire. Comparing Mileena’s custom abilities to someone like Shang who has access to multiple diverse and unique tools/playstyles is an utter joke; everything she has that isn’t Vanish, Kahnum Dash or Low Sai should have been base.

Ethereal from Mortal Kombat XL, as others have mentioned.

For me, her three Tournament Variations in this game loosely remind me of the general concept of her Mortal Kombat XL Piercing, Ravenous, and Ethereal Variations respectively.

You do realise teleporting is the act of vanishing and reappearing in another location instantaneously, right? Ethereal in MKX also showcased her ability to vanish for extended periods of time, so it makes perfect sense.

I do agree, however, that their execution was indeed lacklustre and that her custom abilities leave a lot to desire. Comparing Mileena’s custom abilities to someone like Shang who has access to multiple diverse and unique tools/playstyles is an utter joke; everything she has that isn’t Vanish, Kahnum Dash or Low Sai should have been base.
Well if you could do Air Sai after Telekick like the old days I could see both Air Sai and Air Telekick being move slots as justified since it'd make for some wild combos.

But ya can't.

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I honestly think Mileena is in a good spot, she’s a strong character with exceptional movement, decent damage and decent zoning.

My issue is that her customs are severely lacklustre. You essentially HAVE to run stabby+playtime with only the 3rd option being able to be swapped.

Some ideas that would help her become more varied:

• f12 cancellable into air specials (encourages air sai/air tele to be equipped)
  • kahnum dash given better damage (10% meterless, 15% 1 bar, 19% 2 bars) and a KB (must fully amplify twice; on the third double amplify it triggers dealing 32%)
  • sai slide cancellable (costs 1 defensive meter)
  • base f43 -6 on block
  • vanish lasts longer and has slightly faster startup

Again, she doesn’t NEED any buffs. These would just make her other kustoms more varied. And we’d see more variation than just stabby+playtime+x

Yeah no I'm dropping her. She's so limited, stubby and ultra risky compared to the other characters on the roster.
Especially Kano, if you want to play a better Mileena just pick him up instead of wasting time on her.

Maybe they'll give her something substantial someday but I'm not holding my breath on that. Peace.

Last edited:

Raider

Noob
I told you. Almost no one is talking about her anymore, sadly. I highly doubt that they will do anything about her except for slightly increasing her damage probably.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
I told you. Almost no one is talking about her anymore, sadly.
To me this has just as much to do with how good/bad she as it does with how limited her variation options are. You rock extra strings, command grab, and probably rolling thunder because everything else is bad or replaces a (better) base kit move.

Also I think it’s interesting that she’s clearly designed as a rush down/in-your-face style character but her best attack is her insane Sai projectiles. I do best with her when I abuse the shit out of them. They control a huge amount of space and have huge pushback that makes punishing them hard. Between that and f124 sending them almost full screen I’ve been playing her more as a hit an run character.

Tbh I don’t think she is great, and if she wasn’t Mileena I’d have dropped her already. However she would be better and more interesting if she real choices for custom moves. Make f12 cancelable into air specials so we have a reason to pick them. Khanum Dash and Low Sai need to not replace essential base moves or be buffed to compensate for the fact they are worse than the moves the replace. Give Sliding Sai a cancel or something idk lol.

DarkSado

Noob
I ain't gonna lie I kinda stop playing her as well she just not that fun especially limit moves set. I feel like the only edenia that did good is Sindel.

Last edited:

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
The narrative Mileena has to play risky is a bit....not true? Obviously many people don't wanna play turtle/zoning Mileena because they may feel that is "boring". I understand, but the yolo ball roll and tele kick game isn't the wave for her and won't be for this game. I say this as I play her mostly with zoning, throws, unbreakable damage and safe strings.

A lot of people don't keep talking about characters because they get tired of the negative feedback. People seem dismissive of certain players that have positive things to say about her. It's common on the forums, not just here.

As far as I know Koisy, HellaLarry, Baconlord and others are still putting in work with her. I also think the idea that she's trash because there are "better characters" is patently absurd. If that's the case if you're not number one or top tier, you're not worth playing and are "trash" which is far from the truth.

Raider

Noob
I don't think that she is "trash" i personally never called her "trash". I just find her gameplay really boring and samey no matter the variation. Many characters in MK11 are having this issue for me personally but Mileena is like the leader of all the characters that i played.

The narrative Mileena has to play risky is a bit....not true? Obviously many people don't wanna play turtle/zoning Mileena because they may feel that is "boring". I understand, but the yolo ball roll and tele kick game isn't the wave for her and won't be for this game. I say this as I play her mostly with zoning, throws, unbreakable damage and safe strings.
What her gameplay HAS to be to succeed is explicitly what I did not want for Mileena in the first place.
It's not just "boring' I despise that type of gameplay, it is absolutely not for me.
That flavor of gameplay is one reason why I don't like Kitana, Why I don't care for Jade and why Skarlet never interested me like she did in 9.

While it's nice that you can make her play different with customs, you're still kinda fighting against yourself because her general kit has a lot of limits compared to other characters in the game.

And rather than play Pink Kitana, scream at Paulo for buffs that won't come for another 8 months or beat my head against the wall..
I'll stick to characters I like more y'know?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I actually still find her interesting. I get to do stuff with her I can't with other characters I play. Mostly because her backward movement is bonkers.

I'm also prone to fairly lame play, so I don't mind chilling at a distance, or poking at them as opposed to just going in full ham or anything. Yolo rolling and TP'ing is more for when I notice someone has shown me they are going to keep trying to do or feel to safe doing something they counter. And then (ideally) only enough to put a little fear and doubt into their play.

I really haven't played her a lot comparatively. I basically stopped playing strangers at this point. The one rando I played with her I think was convinced I was mid-round tea bagging on the regular when I was just trying to buffer the TP in case they committed to something I could react to.