What's new

Mileena General Discussion

I wanna give Rolling Thunder a shot, but my first two slots will always be dedicated to her command grab and string extensions (if only so that F3,4 is hit-confirmable), and I'm having a hard time budging from Low Sai/Ground Sai.

Seriously, why in the name of Mileena's sweet buns aren't her string extensions base kit?
I hear that but the string extensions are most useful as an ender imo -- i dont want to depend on hitting an 18 frame mid to start a combo. 11throw will get you murdered. I think they're ok to leave on the table. Low sai/high is MU dependent.

Afumba

Noob
I wanna know why air teleport or sai isn't base. Like why is that considered so strong that she can't immediately have it?

Ita funny how Stephanie said this Mileena is based on MK2 Mileena, but this Mileena isn't able to do shit she could do 25 years ago
I have to agree here. The moves should have been part of her base moveset same as extended strings.

I would be more unterstanding for this if you could cancel into air sai while doing airborne strings or telekick, then sure i can see why its his own ability... but as it is now its silly.

Air telekick is even more ridiculous. Waste of an ability slot. No reason not to be base kit, like at all.

The strings feel just weird without the extensions, especially F23. At the very least F23 1+3 and F43 1+3 should have been base kit. The 11 1+3 and the amplify on F43 1+3 could have been part of the CMG ability if deemed too much for base kit.

Hard for me not to think they ran out of time or something while creating Mileena and had to gut some base moves to finish up the ability list.

Dont get me wrong, i love playing her and i dont want to bash on NRS etcetc. But thats how i feel about her base kit, it just feels incompete to me.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
I hear that but the string extensions are most useful as an ender imo -- i dont want to depend on hitting an 18 frame mid to start a combo. 11throw will get you murdered. I think they're ok to leave on the table. Low sai/high is MU dependent.
Honestly, I don't even use her string extensions, I just really like being able to hit confirm F4, 3. I play a lot of Johnny and manage to whiff punish with his B3 all the time, and that's 18 frames too, so there's some familiarity there even if it doesn't reach as far.

But yeah, I can def replace Low Sai depending on the MU. And once I'm more comfortable with her other buttons in the neutral, I can see myself dropping Play Time as well.

Blazeglory88

50/50 Savant - Lore>Gore
I wanna give Rolling Thunder a shot, but my first two slots will always be dedicated to her command grab and string extensions (if only so that F3,4 is hit-confirmable), and I'm having a hard time budging from Low Sai/Ground Sai.

Seriously, why in the name of Mileena's sweet buns aren't her string extensions base kit?
Most string extensions in this game should be base kit just for variety's sake alone. Maybe in a future patch..

I fail to see any difference between the female ninjas, especially in their klassic skins. Sindel & Sheeva are the only ones with noticeable differences, IMO.
Yes. They went to the trouble of making them different, but in such small ways that you wonder why they bothered. Even with side by side comparisons, you just go 'okay, I guess Jade has slightly bigger boobs than Kitana...'

Earlier today, Green Man Gaming finally got, and sent, the Kombat Pack 2 Pre-Purchase codes, so 45 hours after launch, I got to play my pre-order content :rolleyes:.

Anyway, I did all three character Tutorials, and I've started on Mileena's Character Towers; I've completed the First Stage. I'm toying with her Tournament Variations right now simply to get a feel for things, and I really like her Twisted Sister Variation.

The string extensions, Play Time, are really fun, I wasn't keen on Low Sai in "Tooth & Klaw," and I'm actually enjoying her Kahnum Rush, though of course you can't kombo off it. I expect I will ultimately swap it out for Ball Roll, though not being able to kombo off Ball Roll by default is going to take a lot, and I mean a lot, of getting used to.

One thing I can't figure out so far, her Command Grab, can it link off anything? Thus far, I've had no luck with that.

Overall, I'm finding the character fun, but she certainly feels slower and generally gimped compared to her past two incarnations, but that generally describes every character in the game so at least she fits in.

It's not. It deals 20 more dmg from the hop, but adds more gravity so you cannot follow up d2 with anything, ending you with a lot less dmg than the regular roll.

I do still like it, I'm hoping we find some wacky way to get to the same dmg.
yeah you don't use D2, I'm having a good run with 34cmdgrand as the ender and I'm pretty sure I could get an f1 in there beforehand. Plus I'm finding it is pretty good at yoloing.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Earlier today, Green Man Gaming finally got, and sent, the Kombat Pack 2 Pre-Purchase codes, so 45 hours after launch, I got to play my pre-order content :rolleyes:.

Anyway, I did all three character Tutorials, and I've started on Mileena's Character Towers; I've completed the First Stage. I'm toying with her Tournament Variations right now simply to get a feel for things, and I really like her Twisted Sister Variation.

The string extensions, Play Time, are really fun, I wasn't keen on Low Sai in "Tooth & Klaw," and I'm actually enjoying her Kahnum Rush, though of course you can't kombo off it. I expect I will ultimately swap it out for Ball Roll, though not being able to kombo off Ball Roll by default is going to take a lot, and I mean a lot, of getting used to.

One thing I can't figure out so far, her Command Grab, can it link off anything? Thus far, I've had no luck with that.

Overall, I'm finding the character fun, but she certainly feels slower and generally gimped compared to her past two incarnations, but that generally describes every character in the game so at least she fits in.
Glad that you're enjoying her so far. For her command grab, it doesn't tick off of anything except her low pokes, and you can only combo into it if the opponent is in a juggle state. That said, it is very much worth getting the hang of it for online, because the guessing game it introduces off of her plus frames seems very strong, but ymmv, of course.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Was briefly messing around with Vanish to see what utility there is. So far if you do starter xx amp Roll, dash, s3 xx Vanish it only gets you 20ish% but it leaves you +6 to +8 depending on how high you hit the s3 and it leaves you at max range for F2 to connect so a potential invisible mixup between that and B2. Going to investigate more.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Was briefly messing around with Vanish to see what utility there is. So far if you do starter xx amp Roll, dash, s3 xx Vanish it only gets you 20ish% but it leaves you +6 to +8 depending on how high you hit the s3 and it leaves you at max range for F2 to connect so a potential invisible mixup between that and B2. Going to investigate more.
Seems like a waste. Gotta use your defensive meter and you take a damage reduction

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Just found out that with Rolling Thunder, she hops up whenever you let go of 4. Not at the very beginning of the animation. You choose when she pops up.

Not sure if that's like, known or not lol. But I was practicing with it. It was hella inconsistent against Sub-Zero's ice ball. Like she had to already be rolling in order for it to not hit her even though it's a high projectile. But even then sometimes she'd still get hit.

However, Scorpion's spear didn't hit her at all.

It's satisfying af rolling all the way across the screen too lmao.

Also, if you time it just right. You can go completely under Erron's fatal from full screen. Go too early and he'll hit you when you come up. You could hit him and he'll still have his armor but the fatal won't connect. Or you wait until right after he starts shooting, you can roll under and actually hit him right when the armor is gone and punish him. And if you time it perfectly you can roll, he'll lose the armor AND you can pop up and get the Rolling Thunder damage, amplify and do her Miss Me? combo with the krushing blow. Boom.

Yes, Rolling Thunder lets you control when you hop. Which is relevant for jumping over low projectiles, or for just rolling normally across the whole screen (but note that her ball roll has differently low-profiling frames across its animation, so it is inconsistent in what it goes under), and controlling which combo path you go for (normal or hop).

Speaking of which, Rolling Thunder + Playtime + Stabyscotch lets you do the same dmg as the regular roll d2 f1 cmdgrab, with starter xx thunder hop dash f43 cmdgrab.

Last edited:
I like how mileena feels. She's super fun to play. I don't like the fact that you really don't have much freedom with her kustoms. Without command grab and play time, she feels really bad. So we have only one slot to kustomize and half of those replace her base kit (which i feel is solid).

I might betray kitana for mileena because that up fan nerf got me sad as hell.