What's new

Mileena General Discussion

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
God.... for a video game, and a fighting game no less, MK had an amazingly rich backstory. The fact that it all feels so streamlined now really hurts.
Introducing time travel, combining 3+ game's worth of lore into a single story mode, skipping 25 years, then introducing multiple universes/timelines was a mistake. A long series of mistakes.

Last edited:

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
I'm actually unfamiliar with its story. The franchises I know are:

• Mortal Kombat
  • Street Fighter
  • The various Marvel games
  • Killer Instinct
I've only ever had a passing interest in GG, but I've been on a lore kick during quarantine and it actually has some pretty interesting stuff. I still say MK's beats it out, but for me personally, it's a close second

projectzero00

nomnomnom
God.... for a video game, and a fighting game no less, MK had an amazingly rich backstory. The fact that it all feels so streamlined now really hurts.
One of the main reasons I love the franchise. It does feel very "Avengers against lackeys" lately during the story mode era, which unfortunately puts more emphasis on specific characters while others get the short end of the stick. I kinda wish each character's storyline was fleshed out in a different way instead of the main story mode.

Outside the main story, we get those random individual endings that 90% of the time aren't even cannon, apart from MKD which I think did this perfectly. Each character had a very specific role in the story and their journey was very different from "X defeated Kronika and is now ruler of time".

For example Mileena was freed from Baraka and led Kitana's armies posing as her (we stan a queen whose storyline inspires the actual name of the game "Deception"). Bo Rai Cho saved Li Mei and together they became generals of Mileena's armies. Baraka was leading the Tarkatan hordes and chasing down Mileena who betrayed them. Jade and Sindel were seeking Onaga's sarcophagus in order to prevent him from reincarnating. Kenshi was saved by Sub Zero and they were both trying to escape Outworld with Hotaru going after them. Kabal, Kira and Kobra had their little Black Dragon thing going on, as did the Seido gang. Ashrah was chasing Noob Smoke in order to purify herself and ascend from Netherrealm, etc, etc. You get my point. MKD had every character contribute to the overall storyline in a different way (let's not talk about Shujinko lol) and that could work well in today's graphics with those cutscenes taking place on arcade ladder for example, when you pick a character. And it kinda unfolds the whole story as you finish the arcade ladder with each fighter.

Kinda like individual shorter story modes for each character where they explored their journeys through the tournament. That could potentially solve so many issues MK9 onwards had and would make it easier to flesh each character out more without the limitations of a universal story mode.

Last edited:

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I've always thought the whole tournament premise was kinda boring. It's the excuse for almost all fighting games. Kinda just the easy way out, I guess, but as soon the story starts to leave that premise, it starts to get more interesting too, imo.

Take Dead or Alive, for example. No good story mode in any of those games, however, there's a kinda interesting subplot with the ninjas and the main baddy Donovan that I think could be cool to be elaborated on. But 90% of the roster are just there to fight in the tournament, and... that's about it. No character development or plotlines, just people coming together to fight for a prize.

It's not good storytelling, imo. And though a lot of people say that fighting games don't need a good story, I believe MK has proven that not to be true. MK is not the best fighting game, but there's a reason why it's so popular even amongst people who don't really care about other fighting games. The stories, the characters, the world building etc in MK is just vastly superiour to any other fighting game, and I personally think there is enough material to create a large RPG setting on par with any of the Final Fantasy games (just to mention one of the more popular RPG franchises). In fact, I've made several campaigns that were based in the MK world and played through them with friends, both where they played some of the known characters and their own created ones.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
The thing with MK's tournament setting was it was completely baked into the core of the story. The rules of Mortal Kombat were so powerful even gods couldn't break them. At least that was the case until MK11's stupid ass decided to introduce Titans into the fucking story.

Thats why we need the tournament back. This current Avengers type deal they're going with is way too generic. All powerful beings going full force with all their McGuffins. It was so much more interesting seeing how these characters played around the rules of the tournament. Shang Tsung hiring assassins to take out rivals, Bo Rai Cho betraying Outworld to train Liu Kang, Shao Kahn goading Earthrealm into a rematch with sneak attacks and kidnappings.

MKX teasing a return to this format, but with Outworld on defense was the most excited I had ever been for an MK story in my life. Seeing Bo Rai Cho train Reptile and Ermac in his ending was mind blowing, and I couldn't wait. Instead we got another B movie where the characters spend too much screentime fighting nameless hordes of oni, cyborgs and tarkatans.

We were so close

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
So when is the first Mileena video expected to drop this week? Also when is her Kombat Kast does anyone know ?
well, by logic, her gameplay trailer might would come on this Thursday (October 29th) or maybe , on Friday (October 30th)

and her KK on November 4th or 5th ....

this based on watching the pattern followed on Rain and Rambo promotion so far .....
anyway, could happen that Ed Boon could put a troll move, and so, instead of following what we are expecting, him and NRS delay Mileena gameplay trailer for the next week, maybe on November 4h, and her Kombat Kast, to be pushed to November 11th ..... just a little "revenge" move against all the Mileena stans from Twitter, hehe :joker:

let's see what happens ! :p

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
We'll know more tomorrow for sure but I'm sure they'll say when they'll release her trailer after or during the KK. I can't wait!
this .... Ed Boon normally put in his Twitter, when the next DLC gameplay trailer will come up .... happened with both Rain and Rambo :)

If Mily gameplay trailer gonna happen this week, they will point out that sometime during the Rambo KK, and Ed will inform on Twitter, tomorrow if her gameplay comes in Thursday, or in Thursday, if comes on Friday, hehe ;)

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Kinda like individual shorter story modes for each character where they explored their journeys through the tournament. That could potentially solve so many issues MK9 onwards had and would make it easier to flesh each character out more without the limitations of a universal story mode.
This.
it would also free them up for the sequels, as they would have many “endings” to work with to build the canon.