What's new

Microsoft Respond To Concerns Over Xbox1

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Unfortunately Jared, while it may seem poor to our standards today.... It is THE ONLY option that is pushing for a change and understanding that Digital is the way of the future/survival.

Sony allows for digital gaming.

And maybe in your crazy little world. But in reality? Digital is the only thing? You'll never kill the physical games market. Allowing digital ALONGSIDE physical is the future.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
Just because you say gaming is dying does not mean that eliminating used games, forced online check in and mandatory telescreens is a solution.

22% overall loss in 2012 YoY. 33% in the UK.

What would you do, Jered? Ignore the profitable platforms, throw more money into better graphics, and stick with the same system, hoping that the trend decides to reverse itself?

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Sony allows for digital gaming.

And maybe in your crazy little world. But in reality? Digital is the only thing? You'll never kill the physical games market. Allowing digital ALONGSIDE physical is the future.
The physical game market will die Jared... it is fact.. (the cartridge will never die!! Sega will never die!! Atari is the grandfather of gaming.. they can never die!!) you are just in denial. Yes, Sony does allow for digital gaming, because they are not stupid! Microsoft has also stated that the only reason they have allowed disc and digital tandem is to allow the transition to digital to be less "shocking" to gamers... they are doing it to quell the fear some before the jump moves.

JaredL

22% overall loss in 2012 YoY. 33% in the UK.

What would you do, Jered? Ignore the profitable platforms, throw more money into better graphics, and stick with the same system, hoping that the trend decides to reverse itself?

I would not piss of the entire military of the world. I would not lock off 70% of the world. I would not restrict used games. I would not force people online.

Gaming on a console isn't declining because I'm not being forced to log in online, its simply declining because mobile is getting better and better. Its not in a death spiral. You don't save something by fucking it over.

JaredL

The physical game market will die Jared... it is fact.. (the cartridge will never die!! Sega will never die!! Atari is the grandfather of gaming.. they can never die!!) you are just in denial. Yes, Sony does allow for digital gaming, because they are not stupid! Microsoft has also stated that the only reason they have allowed disc and digital tandem is to allow the transition to digital to be less "shocking" to gamers... they are doing it to quell the fear some before the jump moves.

Cartridge was physical... it died because another form of physical was simply more convenient and more efficient at storting data.

However... digital presupposes two things: Great internet connection unless you want to wait for hours. And an internet connection at all times.

Physical is convenient and allows you to keep your game for yourself and sell it how you like. Digital does not allow that.

Ilthuain

I would not piss of the entire military of the world. I would not lock off 70% of the world. I would not restrict used games. I would not force people online.

Gaming on a console isn't declining because I'm not being forced to log in online, its simply declining because mobile is getting better and better. Its not in a death spiral. You don't save something by fucking it over.

So let's go item by item and figure out how you would improve it. Instead of simply giving a negative (I wouldn't do that) tell me what you would do (I would do this).

First, if digital distribution was necessary, how would you authenticate licenses?

JaredL

So let's go item by item and figure out how you would improve it. Instead of simply giving a negative (I wouldn't do that) tell me what you would do (I would do this).

First, if digital distribution was necessary, how would you authenticate licenses?

I wouldn't try to 'save' it because its not dying.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit

Jared... how much time have you done in the Military of any kind? I can tell you Ive done my time and resigned.. 11 Bravo- United States Army... And while gaming is a very VERY big part of a soldiers life... there tend to be OTHER things that distract them... mainly booze and women (not all- but a very large majority that is) as technology goes forth, the military adapts as well.. In the Army it has gone from (in a majority of bases and installations) the open barracks type living format (10-15 men, sometimes more per 1 very large room) to damn near apartment/condo style barracks. Along with this change is privacy, phone lines, internet... I cannot speak for the Navy for I do not know what their ships and carriers allow for as far as the added extras such as internet or phone... and I know the Air Force has it better than all branches combined.

In a time of warfare and deployments- the soldier must make sacrifices.. seeing family, hobbies, comfortable beds and long private showers...unfortunately go by the wayside, this is known to the soldier and accepted by the soldier. Agencies like the USO try their best to accommodate soldiers with Hollywood guest appearances, visitors, pep talkers, and in the rear living areas - entertainment. They try to get them major sporting events (Superbowl, World Series), Gaming systems, anything to take their mind off the shit they are going through... but a soldier can deal.. and many times would be happy as a pig in shit with something as simple as a hand held device.
Please stop using the armed forces of any nation as a crutch to try and gain likes, sympathy and further your self serving points.. You have NO fucking idea.

JaredL

Jared... how much time have you done in the Military of any kind? I can tell you Ive done my time and resigned.. 11 Bravo- United States Army... And while gaming is a very VERY big part of a soldiers life... there tend to be OTHER things that distract them... mainly booze and women (not all- but a very large majority that is) as technology goes forth, the military adapts as well.. In the Army it has gone from (in a majority of bases and installations) the open barracks type living format (10-15 men, sometimes more per 1 very large room) to damn near apartment/condo style barracks. Along with this change is privacy, phone lines, internet... I cannot speak for the Navy for I do not know what their ships and carriers allow for as far as the added extras such as internet or phone... and I know the Air Force has it better than all branches combined.

In a time of warfare and deployments- the soldier must make sacrifices.. seeing family, hobbies, comfortable beds and long private showers...unfortunately go by the wayside, this is known to the soldier and accepted by the soldier. Agencies like the USO try their best to accommodate soldiers with Hollywood guest appearances, visitors, pep talkers, and in the rear living areas - entertainment. They try to get them major sporting events (Superbowl, World Series), Gaming systems, anything to take their mind off the shit they are going through... but a soldier can deal.. and many times would be happy as a pig in shit with something as simple as a hand held device.
Please stop using the armed forces of any nation as a crutch to try and gain likes, sympathy and further your self serving points.. You have NO fucking idea.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20130614/OFFDUTY02/306140030/New-Xbox-sin-against-all-service-members-

JaredL

So you would be cool if your industry posted a 22% YoY loss? That wouldn't alarm you at all?

Its alarming, but its not something you can fix. Its a natural thing.

Plus, it could well be exhaustion. People don't buy new stuff because a new console generation is looming. WAAAAY too early to draw sweeping conclusions that suddenly paint always online DRM as the saviour of gaming. Yeah, save gaming by making it unattractiveas fuck.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
To take a page from your playbook Jared.. I will simply ignore the article you posted and post the response that I most agreed with from the comments:

Wow, this article is full of hyperbole. It's a "sin"? Seriously? I think it's a sin how military service members get treated, but comparing that to a console that has expanded sharing features that require it to check in... wow. A little extreme. And honestly, do you think Microsoft isn't capable of shipping consoles specifically to Base Exchanges that don't need to phone home? Or that they're not capable of coming up with another solution? The thing doesn't ship for six months... geez. Your cell phone needs a signal to make calls. A cloud-powered game console needs a connection to the cloud in order to work. If you don't have that in a tent in Afghanistan... sounds like something you should bring up with your base commander

Ilthuain

Plus, it could well be exhaustion. People don't buy new stuff because a new console generation is looming. WAAAAY too early to draw sweeping conclusions that suddenly paint always online DRM as the saviour of gaming. Yeah, save gaming by making it unattractiveas fuck.

Let's forget "sweeping DRM" nightmares or the hitler-esque approach that M$ is taking in order to intentionally dishonor the military and whatever other boogymen posts you can dredge up and definitively answer the question: "Is a 22% YoY loss enough of a concern to inspire actions other than continuing business as usual?"

I'm guessing that if your paycheck depended on it, you might not dismiss these conditions so casually.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit

22% is a NATURAL THING and is only ALARMING?! FFS.... Jared... 2-5% is natural, 22% is ALARMING and the Alarm is saying: "CHECK WHAT IS PULLING THAT 22% AWAY... NOW!" You know what is pulling that away Jared? IOS, casual gaming, husbands and wives buying an absurd amount of IOS games to satisfy their 3 yr old...Some people are finally seeing the light, getting educated and taking the leap to PC.. Other are just bailing due to the cost of gaming......

In simple terms Jared... Take how long IOS software/games have been around.... look at the margin on console gaming from the start of this current generation.. and tell me 22% in THAT short a time span is just alarming and natural...

JaredL

Let's forget "sweeping DRM" nightmares or the hitler-esque approach that M$ is taking in order to intentionally dishonor the military and whatever other boogymen posts you can dredge up and definitively answer the question: "Is a 22% YoY loss enough of a concern to inspire actions other than continuing business as usual?"

I'm guessing that if your paycheck depended on it, you might not dismiss these conditions so casually.

Oh I don't think microsoft are doing it intentionally, I don't think anyone can create a fuck up this bad on purpose.

Ilthuain

Oh I don't think microsoft are doing it intentionally, I don't think anyone can create a fuck up this bad on purpose.

Answer my question.

"Is a 22% YoY loss enough of a concern to inspire actions other than continuing business as usual?"

JaredL

22% is a NATURAL THING and is only ALARMING?! FFS.... Jared... 2-5% is natural, 22% is ALARMING and the Alarm is saying: "CHECK WHAT IS PULLING THAT 22% AWAY... NOW!" You know what is pulling that away Jared? IOS, casual gaming, husbands and wives buying an absurd amount of IOS games to satisfy their 3 yr old...Some people are finally seeing the light, getting educated and taking the leap to PC.. Other are just bailing due to the cost of gaming......

In simple terms Jared... Take how long IOS software/games have been around.... look at the margin on console gaming from the start of this current generation.. and tell me 22% in THAT short a time span is just alarming and natural...

Oh don't pull bullshit like 2-5% is natural. There is no percentage that is natural.

Sometimes, things decline.

You seem to think that the market will grow... by people having less rights. How do you fucking imagine it going?

"Hmm, shall I buy an Ipad and game there", "Or the xbox one which restricts allow used games, needs to be always on the internet, I have no ownership of the games and if I get banned I can never play them"

How are any of the features of microsoft attractive in the slightest way.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit

HAHAHAHA

Defend this bullshit. Defend it...
My account has never been banned Jared....in any generation, on any system...

Less Pirating
Less Modding (as we know it on consoles now as a BAD thing)
Less educated gentlemen with internet muscles yelling racist remarks every other word
Less Sexual Harassment (especially to the female gaming market)

that enough for you?

JaredL

My account has never been banned Jared....in any generation, on any system...

Less Pirating
Less Modding (as we know it on consoles now as a BAD thing)
Less educated gentlemen with internet muscles yelling racist remarks every other word
Less Sexual Harassment (especially to the female gaming market)

that enough for you?

I am loving the mental gynmastics. IF YOU'VE DONT NOTHING WRONG YOU'VE GOT NOTHING TO HIDE. Just like with the kinect lol.

Not all bans are justified. And... if you are banned all your money is wasted. You can't even play offline. Currently, if I get banned, I can't connect online and use xbox live. But with the xbox one... it literally turns into a brick.

You see this as a positive? Man... anything to defend the xbox.