What's new

Menu pictures

RothVI

d2 Spammer
So after looking it up, ninjas are just spies that don't kill (unless necessary?). Only specific ninja clans teach the art of assassination. That seems to be the only difference between the two.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
You have more French influence than japan being in Europe. You probably have it in your blood as well. The comparison is dumb anyway lol. Are you saying ninjas aren’t a clan of assassins in spies?
I'm saying Sub-Zero and the Lin Kuei aren't ninjas.

All ninjas are assassins, but not all assassins are ninjas.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Shirai Ryu is a real clan of japanese ninjas. Lin Kuei is a fictional chinese clan os assasins. Both are assasins, not both are ninjas.
Supposedly the Lin Kuei is based on a real life Chinese clan of the same name.

So after looking it up, ninjas are just spies that don't kill (unless necessary?). Only specific ninja clans teach the art of assassination. That seems to be the only difference between the two.
Ninjas also practice ninjutsu. Assassins practice all kinds of martial arts, or hell, maybe even none at all if they are a sniper or what have you.

RothVI

d2 Spammer
Ninjas also practice ninjutsu. Assassins practice all kinds of martial arts, or hell, maybe even none at all if they are a sniper or what have you.
Right. So Scorpion is a "ninja" and an assassin. Sub-Zero on the other hand is a ______ and an assassin. We just need to fill in the blank.

First of all, I want to point out that ninjas as we know them today are 99% a fictional concept. Historically speaking, there is no real evidence cloaked assassins running around in Japan, offing feudal lords. Ninjas, if anything, were actually normally dressed spies, uses for espionage and informational sabotage, just like spies today are.

Second, suspending disbelief and going along with the idea of ninja assassins, calling both Chinese and Japanese assassins "ninjas" would be culturally ignorant, as it's a word specifically describing a certain caste of Japanese warrior/spy. Both countries had different ideologies, values, and codes of honor impressed upon their people. In the same way an English knight is held to the codes of Chivalry and is therefore fundamentally different than a Samurai who is held to the codes of Bushido, the cultural standards and historical background of Japanese ninjas vs Chinese assassins/spies would be different.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Supposedly the Lin Kuei is based on a real life Chinese clan of the same name.

Cool, I didnțt find it nywhere though.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
First of all, I want to point out that ninjas as we know them today are 99% a fictional concept. Historically speaking, there is no real evidence cloaked assassins running around in Japan, offing feudal lords. Ninjas, if anything, were actually normally dressed spies, uses for espionage and informational sabotage, just like spies today are.

Second, suspending disbelief and going along with the idea of ninja assassins, calling both Chinese and Japanese assassins "ninjas" would be culturally ignorant, as it's a word specifically describing a certain caste of Japanese warrior/spy. Both countries had different ideologies, values, and codes of honor impressed upon their people. In the same way an English knight is held to the codes of Chivalry and is therefore fundamentally different than a Samurai who is held to the codes of Bushido, the cultural standards and historical background of Japanese ninjas vs Chinese assassins/spies would be different.
The American CIA are ninjas and chivalry and bushido are basically the same.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Scorpion wasn’t a ninja anymore because he had no clan. He was a wraith from hell lol. Sub zero is more a ninja than him.
So all youțre arguing about is that Scorpion is a hellspawn of a former ninja man, thus not a ninja? Lol, nope. Hețs had ninja training, thus he is a ninja.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Yeah, it's like saying a murderer isn't a murderer anymore just because he stopped killing people.

No, I'd say he was still a ninja. He still used his training to kill people.
So the Shirai Ryu trained him to rip his face off and engulf people into flames?

stokedAF

casual kahnage
You realise that's not all he does, right?
Just because I know how to change a tire doesn't mean it negates my education in bakery.
No but you seem perfectly fine with a Japanese ninja clan that specializes in a Chinese martial art (rope dart) but have a hard time calling a Chinese clan of assassins ninjas.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
No but you seem perfectly fine with a Japanese ninja clan that specializes in a Chinese martial art (rope dart) but have a hard time calling a Chinese clan of assassins ninjas.
Again, watch the video I posted. It explains everything. ^^
I got something else that has my focus now though, so you do whatever you like.