What's new

Menu pictures

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I took this one yesterday, but I think it may just be a generic ninja. I suppose it could be either Smoke or (less likely) Noob, though.

Thoughts?

If it wasn't just a generic ninja, he'd have a more interesting design.

SenSx

Noob
Skarlet + blue custom color = here is your Kitana.

That's probably the way chosen by NRS for MK11.
Scorpion and Sub are the only male ninjas BUT you can have them in green, red, purple, black and grey !
Enjoy ! Here are your ninjas !

But there are no color for special forces, so lets bring back every one !

Customization is the best thing that even happend for the MK franchise !

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
The same reason you wouldn't include a palace guard or a generic tarkatan - they're not playable/actual characters...?
menu art is menu art. It's not even animated, why does it have to be playable characters? That's what the character select screen is for.

Hoping this is a temporary UI design for the main menu. Injustice 2's UI was really great and intuitive. This felt too simple and bare bones for an amazing presentation in other areas of the game.

vapid

cyber warlord
Hoping this is a temporary UI design for the main menu. Injustice 2's UI was really great and intuitive. This felt too simple and bare bones for an amazing presentation in other areas of the game.
Bear in mind the game is released at the end of April - the reveal stream build was apparently from November.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Now I know that in MK:Mythologies, Sub-Zero goes all "blablabla I'm not a ninja, I'm Lin Kuei!", but isn't the Lin Kuei an actual ninja clan? I've always found that line mildly infuriating.
"there exists a secret clan of assassins and thieves known as the Lin Kuei."

Sub Zero himself says he isn't a ninja and the quoted above is from the MK wiki but it's italicized which I assume means it's a quote from another source (in this case I would assume from either the games or comics) Assassins and Thieves =/= Ninjas.

vapid

cyber warlord
The Lin Kuei are Chinese, I believe.

Scorpion is a member of the Shirai Ryu, a Japanese ninja clan.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
The Lin Kuei are Chinese, I believe.

Scorpion is a member of the Shirai Ryu, a Japanese ninja clan.
The Chinese had ninjas though. I have a kung fu movie called Chinese super ninjas (it’s awesome). They are a clan of assassins, if that’s not ninja then what is lol?

vapid

cyber warlord
The Chinese had ninjas though. I have a kung fu movie called Chinese super ninjas (it’s awesome). They are a clan of assassins, if that’s not ninja then what is lol?
That sounds like a reliable source, I agree.

Ninja is a distinct historical term associated with feudal Japan, and is unique to Japanese history and culture.

If you expand the definition of ninja to mean 'Asian-looking guy who jumps around and fights with a sword' then yes, I suppose you can include China, but that's not really what a ninja is or means.

No one really disputes that in MK terms the 'ninjas' are the palette-swapped male fighters who began with Scorpion and Sub-Zero, but if you want to get into specifics then Sub-Zero isn't a ninja.

:DOGE

trufenix

bye felicia

Sub Zero himself says he isn't a ninja and the quoted above is from the MK wiki but it's italicized which I assume means it's a quote from another source (in this case I would assume from either the games or comics) Assassins and Thieves =/= Ninjas.
MK3 was the last time any of the Lin Kuei characters were called "ninja" in game although I think it did get mentioned a bunch in Shaolin Monks, which was not entirely written by MK people.

Plotwise:
The last time the Lin Kuei as a clan were called "assassins" was MK9, the reboot erased the ninja angle entirely. MKX says Raiden restored Sub Zero and he made the clan good guys anyway, just like Deadly Alliance. Now they aren't even assassins, just blue wearing ice warriors. Although I'm guessing if Frost's back and the Outworld is playing a huge role, Sub Zero is about to get into his origins again. Maybe the armor of his ancestors is gear.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist

Ninjas were (among other things) assassins and thieves though, so not necessarely. Besides if you read the wiki you see how contradictory some things are.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
That sounds like a reliable source, I agree.

Ninja is a distinct historical term associated with feudal Japan, and is unique to Japanese history and culture.

If you expand the definition of ninja to mean 'Asian-looking guy who jumps around and fights with a sword' then yes, I suppose you can include China, but that's not really what a ninja is or means.

No one really disputes that in MK terms the 'ninjas' are the palette-swapped male fighters who began with Scorpion and Sub-Zero, but if you want to get into specifics then Sub-Zero isn't a ninja.

:DOGE
Okay what is a Japanese ninja specifically? It’s like saying “wow look at that dog shit.” but it’s not dog shit, it’s raccoon shit. Oh my bad, I was way off!