What's new

Make the Ice Clone a gear move

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
But wouldn't it be weird? Sub with no clone? lol. I guess you are right though. In theory he could have infinite possibilities with his powers for his moveset so I they could go the "spice it up" route.
MKX Sub was not a fun character. 2/3 of his variations were totally redundant(only exception is Unbreakable for the Takeda and Possessed matchups imo, Cryo could have been deleted and Sub's tier position would have been exactly the same). It's all due to the fact that if the base character was really good, Grandmaster would have been in his own tier, so they had to dumb his base moves down.

I never agree with a character being totally balanced around one move, it just leads to situations like MKX Sub murdering some characters but having very little against others.

exisTenz

Noob
Wasn't IGAU Scorpion very similar to his MK9 version? I hope they won't do the same with Sub and won't just copy paste him from MKX. Can't see it working in I2 meta. I wouldn't mind him not having the clone as long as he has other good tools and good strings.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Why would they put Sub-Zero in this game if he wasn't going to have the same stuff from the past games that people would recognize him for? That's kind of the point of guest characters, if all you wanted was an ice guy, there's Captain Cold/Mr. Freeze

Lokheit

Noob
No need to worry with the amount of zoning and air game we got here. Also invincible wakeups with no meter so if klone goes on hit bye bye precious setups, I'd say he could have it and then need a lot more to have a place in the game's meta. It's a completly different game, characters don't have the weaknesess MKX characters did.

Btw, after being amazed by Ivy's gear move slide (9 frames, low profiles high attacks, invincible wakeup, -4 on block, launches into B2D2 without expending extra meter, doesn't even replace a vanilla move... basically all of her strings can be ended into a jailing safe low launcher lol) I hope Sub-Zero's slide in this game becomes a weapon of mass destruction and what really makes him stand out in I2 meta.

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
Clone is most definitely a trait, and there's a ton of ways to escape his setups now. Invincibility, tons of projectiles, disjointed hitboxes, air dashes etc.

Subs prolly gonna be a solid neutral character who needs to manage his trait to pop the clone up.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Why would they put Sub-Zero in this game if he wasn't going to have the same stuff from the past games that people would recognize him for? That's kind of the point of guest characters, if all you wanted was an ice guy, there's Captain Cold/Mr. Freeze
Mr.Freeze is just CC's skin, so it's basically ONE ice guy. To be frank, I don't like Mr. Freeze's skin.

Cold's weakness is that he doesn't have any move to pass through the projectiles, like Bats or Catwoman have, or teleporting ability, like Flash and Supergirl have.

His only ability against the projectiles is his wall.

Sub will need his slide to pass through those projectiles, and his clone against his CQC opponents.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
Make him a clone. A killer Frost clone. Safe launching slide with a command grab into vortex city

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
True, but it still feels like there's more characters that would blow it up than not.
That's EXACTLY the point. He'd having losing match ups vs BA, Aquaman, whoever else you mentioned, likely Brainiac, Robin, etc. And then characters like Black Canary, Flash, Cheetah, Catwoman would hit the same brick wall that JC/Jax/Kotal had in MKX, and thats exactly the issue. You'll once again have a character with a ridiculously lopsided match up chart, all for the inclusion of one special, which could very easily just be gear with the other OP shit, and leave room for a more creative build of SZ rather than "weak base character to make up for awesome Ice Clone" that we've seen from SZ in recent iterations (this was not how he always was either).

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
If they give him he clone as a trait with a cool down, and dont make him a 50/50 character I see no issue. The corner setups wouldnt be loopable if the time is long enough, and it gives him good space control midscreen. This is coming from someone who hated playing sub zero (as most people did) in mkx. But it's his signature move and hes a guest character, its whats recognisable as sub. Imagine if they put scorpion in but didnt give him a spear? It wouldnt feel like scorpion.

Reactions: GAV

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
If they give him he clone as a trait with a cool down, and dont make him a 50/50 character I see no issue. The corner setups wouldnt be loopable if the time is long enough, and it gives him good space control midscreen. This is coming from someone who hated playing sub zero (as most people did) in mkx. But it's his signature move and hes a guest character, its whats recognisable as sub. Imagine if they put scorpion in but didnt give him a spear? It wouldnt feel like scorpion.
Its more like Scorpion's teleport attack. Its his secondary staple. His staple is definitely his ice ball, which they should allow you to meter burn to make it a beam that goes through projectiles. Then, Ice Shower, Ice Puddle, and Slide would be sufficient to fill out his build.

The clone in MKX made him dominant in some matchups, but left him too weak in other matchups.