What's new

Magic: The Gathering thread.

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
I took a break from the game shortly after saviors of kamigawa dropped and completely missed ravnica the first time around.
came back for innistrad. i mostly play commander but the removal of that toxic phyrexian mana may be just enough for me to try constructed standard again.
Eager to see who the Boros leader will be bc i think Razia was killed off in the lore.
so far the guild leaders have been spot on, and i hope it continues

maybe underpowered is a bad choice of words for Rakdos. Its solid,
just not broken like the others look like at the moment.
Maybe "the kano effect" for mtg

Hemlock

Noob
I was thinking about getting the Isset vs Golgari duel deck so a friend and I can play. anyone have experience with this duel deck set?

or getting a deck builder's toolkit - i'm confused with all the different decks - booster, intro, core, fat pack, etc.

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
I'm not a fan of Deckbuilder's toolkit... at all

Booster pack -15 cards [1 Rare, 3 Uncommon] {if this has changed and I didn't notice, my apologies, I'm on mtgo only now}
Fat Pack - 9 boosters, a 20 side die, a set guidebook, a pack of lands and it comes in a handy box that keeps your stuff together quite nicely

Intro deck - a 60 card starter deck + booster, to give you an idea how that deck should work, but its 80% stuff you'll end up cutting out.
They have a foil rare and (I believe) a regular rare, a few uncommons and the rest is commons, some on theme, most filler.

Event deck - 60 card deck w sideboard. Think of it as a much more focused intro pack. You'll want to tweak things here and there, but youll make much fewer replacements than in the intros. These are essentially made for people who show up to a tourney wanting to play but don't have a decent deck or cardpool of their own so they can just buy one and get in there. You still may be bringing a knife to a gun fight, but if you're a skilled player you can pull some things off

Core... as in Core Set? Magic releases a yearly (maybe now twice a year?) set in between their blocks mostly with beginner friendly cards in mind. The last few core sets have upped in power level and actually print new cards to be added to the fold. I can still remember when the core sets were nothing but reprints, and because of that, they sold like shit lol

My suggestion? buy yourself and a friend a fat pack each and both of you make decks on your own out of the cards in the packs and then throw down and see what happens. Last time I did this with a buddy of mine, I pulled 2 foil Gideon which my friend traded me 3x Jace 2.0 for in a moment of weakness. cha-ching!

Hemlock

Noob
Izzet Vs. Golgari duel decks = tons of fun. I really like the Golgari one.

I'm interested in purchasing other premade decks (like the black + blue Dimir or the 2012 event black deck)
but they seem to be all out of stock and going for $$$$!

Magic 2013 on Xbox is helllla fun. I like using "Dream Puppets" and making people dump 7 cards per turn MUHAHAHAHAHA

Hemlock

Noob
Been playing this a ton. Thanks to Owerbart for getting me into this cult!

I have the Izzet vs. Golgari decks
as well as Entangling Webs intro deck
and Grab For Power intro deck.

been playing Magic2013 on Xbox360 - and just recently got the expansion. I love the challenges!

cyke_out

Noob
So I haven't played since mirage and tempest era like way way beck ago, but my kid turned 12 and wanted to upgrade from Pokemon so I bought her two new started from the new 2014 set and basically played taught her the game from memory.

I don't know what sets are legal or what are the popular archetypes, but it's reigniting my love of the game and I'm going to be getting into ccg's after moving on to tabletop minis line war hammer or hero clip.

So expect a ton of question from me coming up.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
So I haven't played since mirage and tempest era like way way beck ago, but my kid turned 12 and wanted to upgrade from Pokemon so I bought her two new started from the new 2014 set and basically played taught her the game from memory.

I don't know what sets are legal or what are the popular archetypes, but it's reigniting my love of the game and I'm going to be getting into ccg's after moving on to tabletop minis line war hammer or hero clip.

So expect a ton of question from me coming up.
Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, Dragon's Maze, M14, Theros, Born of the gods, Journey into Nyx, M15 are all standard legal at the moment

I haven't played in soooo long.

Last I played was 8th edition. I honestly think the period between 7th and 8th edition was the best. Oddysey block was amazing.

But sooooo much has changed since then... Must be on at least 10th edition by now, right? I probably couldn't get back into Magic.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
I haven't played in soooo long.

Last I played was 8th edition. I honestly think the period between 7th and 8th edition was the best. Oddysey block was amazing.

But sooooo much has changed since then... Must be on at least 10th edition by now, right? I probably couldn't get back into Magic.

I first started playing with Odyssey, ended when Ravnica came out and started up again. After 9th edition, it went to M10 and onwards. It's at M15 atm

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
I haven't played Magic seriously since the Eldrazi set, but I've got Lackey CCG so I can make decks on my computer and play people that way. Only problem is you have to do everything yourself and nothing is streamlined. I'm a big fan of playing commander style as well. I really wanted to make a werewolf deck from the Indastrad block because werewolves are tight, but I just didn't want to invest money into the game anymore. ;__;

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Dat Thread Revival. Wish i had known about this sooner. :p. Magic is love Magic is life.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I haven't played the game since 1997 approximately, mainly because as the series evolved it turned into utter garbage with some of the new abilities. When I did play, it was primarily Revised edition and the dark cards up until Fallen Empires.

My most expensive card ever acquired was an Unlimited edition Timetwister, signed by Mark Tedin himself. I sold it for a nice amount of money, but kinda wish I kept it now for the increase in money it is worth today.

Reactions: Jer